Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2012, 17:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Which Pre Owned Mahindra 4WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
DI was not introduced in the Bolero in 2001 hence all 2001 Boleros has XD3P engine that makes 72.5 bhp that was detuned to 68 bhp when BSIII came into effect.

Engine will most likely need to be rebuilt. Luckily parts are available and it is easily to rebuild.

One thing to keep in mind is that for most older Bolero 4x4 with electric Borg Warner Transfer case, the 4WD system will not be in working condition and the dealer doesn't have the training knowledge to repair it. He will first tell you to change ECU and quote you about 20K for it.
Thank You 4x4addict for the info and the caution. Just a couple of follow up questions:
  • When was DI introduced in Bolero?
  • The asking price for 2001 GLX is 2.25L. How much approximately would you offer for the same (considering engine needs to be rebuilt).
  • What is the difference between GLX and GLX Sportz?
The asking price for 2004 GLX Sportz is 2.60L (Odo=1.4L kms. with reasonably new tyres). What should be my bargain here? An approx. figure will help me a lot to work out my budget for purchase and rebuilt or refurbish.

Regards...
Old 19th February 2012, 19:37   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Jeet:

Sorry, I cannot give you guidance on prices since I have never hunted for a used Bolero so I have no clue of asking prices. You will need to talk to number of sellers/brokers to find the price. Budget about 40K for the engine rebuild.

GLX Sportz I think has the DI engine. In which case, I suggest going for the that since these engines easily clock 3 Lakh Kms, if well maintained. Check the RC Book of the 2004 GLX Sports. If it has cc given 2523 then it is the DI engine. XD3P engine will be 2498 cc. If the Sportz has DI engine, I would pick that any day over the 2001 GLX.
Old 19th February 2012, 20:17   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict
@Jeet:

Sorry, I cannot give you guidance on prices since I have never hunted for a used Bolero so I have no clue of asking prices. You will need to talk to number of sellers/brokers to find the price. Budget about 40K for the engine rebuild.

GLX Sportz I think has the DI engine. In which case, I suggest going for the that since these engines easily clock 3 Lakh Kms, if well maintained. Check the RC Book of the 2004 GLX Sports. If it has cc given 2523 then it is the DI engine. XD3P engine will be 2498 cc. If the Sportz has DI engine, I would pick that any day over the 2001 GLX.
Buddy, there wasn't anything like the GLX Sportz. These were two entirely different variants when they were being sold. The GLX was the starter for the Bolero and the slightly stripped down Bolero Sportz was introduced in 2003 as far as I remember. Both these early variants came with the XD3PU engine which was a naturally aspirated engine developing about 65 BHP. It worked well in the GLX 4WD and the Sportz also on account of its luggability. The DI engine which was much more fuel efficient and conformed to BS 3 norms was introduced later in 2007 or something if I remember right. This is what came in all Boleros after that till they introduced another variant which was the VLX with the slightly de-juiced Scorpio Crde engine.
It's very tough to get a good Used Bolero nowadays because most of them appear to have migrated to the rural or semi rural areas on account of their overall desirability and toughness etc.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th February 2012 at 20:19.
Old 19th February 2012, 20:32   #34
BHPian

Bolero Sportz in 2003 was a no frills version of Bolero GLX( only A/C and PS) with XD3P( not the detuned 68 BHP but with 72 BHP and 155NM of Torque) engine. After 2005, the model with the graphics 'Sportz" continued but with MDI 3200 TC engine. You can distinguish it since there is "DI TURBO" badging on it's flanks in red colour. Later on in 2007, it was reintroduced with cosmetic upgrades and with the name BOLERO SLE.
In Kerala used car market, DI is much preferred over the IDI engine and , may be due to it's superior fuel efficeincy, longevity and better lugging ability. A 2003 XD3P Bolero in good condition may fetch something between 200000-260000. I know because I picked up one after "hunting" about 06 months. Happy hunting!

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 19th February 2012 at 20:35.
Old 19th February 2012, 21:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Buddy, there wasn't anything like the GLX Sportz. These were two entirely different variants when they were being sold. The GLX was the starter for the Bolero and the slightly stripped down Bolero Sportz was introduced in 2003 as far as I remember. Both these early variants came with the XD3PU engine which was a naturally aspirated engine developing about 65 BHP.
Just to add to what Shankar said, the Bolero sportz was offered until 2006 and was offered with the choice of both the XD3P as well as the MDI3200TC engine during mid 2006.
Apart from the engine, the difference between the two was that the XD3P sportz came with the Isuzu 5 speed gearbox and the DI sportz came with the NGT520. The sle/slx versions came towards the end of 2006 (the last good looking ones, before the refresh/diaper faced ones).

Last edited by jeeva : 19th February 2012 at 21:48.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 22:11   #36
BHPian

Thanks a lot gentlemen for the clarifications and info. I have another follow up question:

"The GLX was the starter for the Bolero and the slightly stripped down Bolero Sportz"... In what way was Bolero Sportz stripped?
Old 20th February 2012, 06:56   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The GLX of those days had an AC/ Heater with recirc function plus all 4 power windows, fog lamps etc.
The Sportz version had only an AC without the recirc function and it also had no power windows, only manual.
There were also a couple of other small things that slip my memory now.
Also the Bolero GLX was the only variant which was offered with 4WD at the time whereas the Sportz was never offered with 4WD.
The Sportz used to cost about 6 lacs on road in 2004-2005 and the GLX at the same time with 4WD was priced at about 7.5 lacs.
There was never any safety kit available in either of the variants.
I remember all this because at that time I badly wanted something to replace my ageing and increasingly uncomfortable, fuel inefficient Gypsy, but I was looking for something which was tough, diesel powered, slightly more refined and slightly more comfy, cheap to maintain and run and didnt cost too much by way of acquisition cost - I had no other option available than the Bolero Sportz because I simply didnt see enough value in the GLX at an up-charge of 1.5 lacs more.
It was around then that the Fusion was introduced but the tragedy was that it was only available in Petrol. Also, it was priced quite high - around 7.5 lacs on road which to me, was simply not worth it at all.
The Base version of the Scorpio was available at that time for about 8 lacs and even that was a bare bones version with leaf springs in the rear and which had no 4WD or any other stuff in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHyde View Post
Thanks a lot gentlemen for the clarifications and info. I have another follow up question:

"The GLX was the starter for the Bolero and the slightly stripped down Bolero Sportz"... In what way was Bolero Sportz stripped?
Old 20th February 2012, 15:40   #38
BHPian

Thank you Sir for the clarification.

I am considering following 4x2 Boleros:
-2000 GLX @ 2.00L
-2001 GLX @ 2.20L and
-2004 Bolero Sportz @ 2.50L.

All three above vehicles have crossed 110000 Kms. All have XD3P engine. 2004 Bolero Sportz has recently acquired new tyres... the other two GLX need new tyres.

Sir, one more question before I begin negotiations with the owners of the above Boleros:

What is the approximate/ average life of a XD3P Engine in terms of Kilometres driven? In other words, after how many driven Kilometres do we need to rebuild the engine?

Thank You for your Patience.
Old 20th February 2012, 15:57   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHyde View Post
What is the approximate/ average life of a XD3P Engine in terms of Kilometres driven? In other words, after how many driven Kilometres do we need to rebuild the engine?
Spike & BD may have a different opinon based on lab test , but in the real world XD3P engines with 5-Speed gearbox has to be rebuild between 1 to 1.25 lakh kilometers. Usually this is called a top engine job that requires new piston, sleves, con rod, head overhaul etc...
Old 29th May 2012, 16:59   #40
BHPian

I was on the lookout for a 4wd tourer, had considered gypsy but was put off due to petrol and lack of basic comforts.
The recent petrol price hike got me thinking towards a diesel. My faithful Esteem which served well for 7 years was proving costly. Since i had made other investements, my budget is only 4 lakhs, getting a new diesel hatch (min 7 lakhs) is not feasible.
My next car had to overcome the negatives of the Esteem (low GC, petrol), so it had to be a diesel SUV/MUV. All new SUVs were ruled out simply because of my budget.

So it had to be used SUV and i guess used Bolero fits my requirment:
- offers 4wd
- all creature comforts
- it can take abuse
- cheap to maintain, servicable anywhere
- good fuel efficiency
- safe (does not go much beyond 100 )

My requirements are:

1. Daily commute to office (35 KMS in a day) and other city commute
2. Twice a month drive to MYsore
3. Once in two months drive to my native

Bolero needs to do all this and bit offroading (which i intend to start soon)

I plan to rest my Esteem in Mysore and use Bolero as the primary vehicle.
Have a gearless two wheeler as a secondary in Bangalore.

So now on the look out for a 4wd Bolero
Is this a right decision...?
Old 29th May 2012, 17:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post

So it had to be used SUV and i guess used Bolero fits my requirment:
- offers 4wd
- all creature comforts
- it can take abuse
- cheap to maintain, servicable anywhere
- good fuel efficiency
- safe (does not go much beyond 100 )

My requirements are:

1. Daily commute to office (35 KMS in a day) and other city commute
2. Twice a month drive to MYsore
3. Once in two months drive to my native

Bolero needs to do all this and bit offroading (which i intend to start soon)

I plan to rest my Esteem in Mysore and use Bolero as the primary vehicle.
Have a gearless two wheeler as a secondary in Bangalore.

So now on the look out for a 4wd Bolero
Is this a right decision...?
Yes - bolero would work the best. Check this link (Here)

Bolero would serve most requirements but the only concern is ride-quality is not so good.

Other vehicles to consider:
  • Armada 4X4
  • MM 540/550 & brothers
  • Mahindra Classic
  • Scorpio 4X4 (Extremely Rare. Only a handful were made on order)
Non Mahindras (Just in case)
  • Sumo 4X4 (Hard to find though)

Last edited by scopriobharath : 29th May 2012 at 17:27.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 10:43   #42
BHPian

Yes i understand about the ride quality and planning to install Bilstein shocks. Need to check out if they are suitable for 4wd.

I had considered the alternatives but knocked them off due to lack of creature comforts or reliability issues. Scorpio 4x4 is in the list, will go for it if i find a good one.

Any idea if the Bolero Glx 4wd was available in 2008 or was it the SLX 4wd in 2008?
Old 30th May 2012, 14:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes i understand about the ride quality and planning to install Bilstein shocks. Need to check out if they are suitable for 4wd.
I had considered the alternatives but knocked them off due to lack of creature comforts or reliability issues. Scorpio 4x4 is in the list, will go for it if i find a good one.
Any idea if the Bolero Glx 4wd was available in 2008 or was it the SLX 4wd in 2008?
Bilstein is good for off-road but not good to withstand a "ramp jump and land". GLX was avaialble in early 2008, both spillover models and I think upto March. the Ones manufactured from April were SLX.They took over the same nomerclature from Scorpio series.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 14:51   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Bilstein is good for off-road but not good to withstand a "ramp jump and land". GLX was avaialble in early 2008, both spillover models and I think upto March. the Ones manufactured from April were SLX.They took over the same nomerclature from Scorpio series.
Whoa, i am not doing jumping stuff, that too not in a Bolero.
I will be just doing some trail driving, jungle safari and probably some Mahindra Great Escape stuff.

I think the 4wd version in both GLX and SLX came with XD3P engine and fully loaded (AC+PS+PW...). I am searching for these models in the used market
Old 30th May 2012, 16:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whoa, i am not doing jumping stuff, that too not in a Bolero.
I will be just doing some trail driving, jungle safari and probably some Mahindra Great Escape stuff.

I think the 4wd version in both GLX and SLX came with XD3P engine and fully loaded (AC+PS+PW...). I am searching for these models in the used market
It should do good then. Bilstein will serve good in 4X4 and tarmac conditions. Stock vehicles do Jungle safaris and great escapes. You will have a good advantage with Bilstien shocks

It is becoming increasingly difficult to get second hand diesel vehicles due to the shoot-up of petrol prices. It is hard to find one but not immposible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks