Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2009, 08:58   #46
BHPian

comfort wise, I am yet to see a worthy competitor for innova below 15L

Reliability: Our family car has done above 2L kms in around 40 months. No major problems expect for starter motor was replaced within warranty.

Interiors are best in the segment. Toyota provides all necessary goodies, albeit a bit pricey.

If not looks and also considering that this is for your dad, innova vx it should be.
Old 6th September 2009, 11:23   #47
BHPian

Guys it is because we are considering this for my dad that innova wont do, will we grow old and not want to drive our RSs, our Evos, our Vtecs?
Then why this atyachar?
Anyways, the buy is in no hurry as i dont want to buy and the repent after 3 years or so as dad will like anyways and not sell for 5 years.
Il take a look at the new safari now only.
Old 6th September 2009, 14:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

maybe you should look at a Mitsubishi Outlander! or Hyundai Tucson, but all the above push the budget especially if bought new!
Old 6th September 2009, 22:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

i would ask you to opt for the innova straightaway. but then you dont like its looks.

next i would recommend the scorpio, but then you dont like it.

finally, only the safari is left, so go buy the safari. it meets your criteria (your dad can sleep in it as the ride & seats are comfortable). i hope you have a chauffer for it though.
Old 6th September 2009, 23:10   #50
BHPian

No chauffers, my dad will drive, the sleeping part is not just for him but for us all as we go to kashmir once every year so the sleeping in the car when the next driver drives really helps.
I will wait for the new safari and try to convince for a used car, then i can get a pajero which i adore alot.
Old 7th September 2009, 17:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

if your dad drives, current safari is not the right option for mumbai traffic. if this would be your second or highway only car, then safari can be considered.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

As your dad is going to drive he should be the one taking test drive and deciding based on what suits him best.

As you are considering SUV let me ask is it only for looks or you really want to cover bad roads ? If it is just city drive and you actually need a big vehicle to move a big family then forget about looks and go for Innova V model that is safest and most comfortable for 8 people. As your budget is higher I will give a pass to Xylo because service and after sales support would be much better form Toyota and also Airbags in V model provide extra layer of security.

But in case you want to travel on really bad roads in comfort ( not actually off road ) forget Innova .

If your need to drive in the city but need a big vehicle because you no longer want to be terrorized by autos and zoom in the city between the signals Scorpio is for you.

Now if you really need a big vehicle between 10 to 15 lakhs with all creature comforts and which can take bad roads without churning water in stomach of passengers Safari VX 4X4 is for you.

Yesterday I returned from Waynad and I can vouch the abuse I have thrown on the 2WD Safari I have . The roads are really bad after unprecedented rains in Wayanad this year and I could see all the Innovas and Jeeps ( Classic , 550DP and CL500MDI mostly) struggling in to climb hills and negotiate the potholes, rubble and mud. While I simply zoomed and my 2.5 yr Old had good sleep without jolts.
This is the best bad road handler in the price bracket so If you need to travel on bad roads with creature comforts.
Since you have budget I would recommend 4X4 VX as any remaining doubts on taking the vehicle in to mud can be eliminated.

Buddy I would recommend ask your dad to test drive and if he is comfortable go for either of the three based on your need.
Old 8th September 2009, 13:43   #53
BHPian

Safari comes with a 2 year warranty and if you pay a little around Rs.6000/- they give you an extended warranty for another 2 years. Most niggling issues on Safari have been addressed as well. For sheer road presence, performance (2.2 L VTT just rocks) and value for money - Safari is the only option. Believe me - I have looked very hard for such a SUV before I opted for this monster.

Ask any Safari owner (who owned this for a decent period of time) in this forum and s/he will tell you how happy they are. Some cars inspire brand loyalty - Safari is one.
Old 8th September 2009, 14:19   #54
BHPian

I see a lot of people suggesting a lot of cars, me too will do the same & nothng different. All I can vouch for that in my 3 years of road experience in a Scorpio SLX I could not find a better Value for Money, I could not find a single reason to not like it & i could not find a better road presence.
Old 9th September 2009, 12:44   #55
BHPian

I am also in a similar dilemma. You know the Safari vs scorpio. In my case, i am only looking at base versions of both (LX), due to budget constraints.

My personal views on both monsters after test drives:

SAFARI 2.2:
+ Looks
+ Sheer road presence
+ Great view from within the vehicle
+ Great legroom/headroom for front middle seats.
+ Ride comfort: Yesterday i took the beast on an empty stretch of road (for around 10 kms) and took it over all sorts of humps, rough roads, etc,etc and it came out as a winner.
On the second half of the journey i sat in the middle row and the sales manager drove. He did "rash" driving over speedbreakers, potholes, traffic, etc just to show me the ride comfort.
+ Handling: I did a sudden braking from around 80 KMPH and the beast came to halt in line. I also took some turns (not that sharp) at high speeds (80-100 kmph) and also swayed the vehicle while driving. Body roll was not that noticeable.
+ GC

- Not a scorcher at traffic lights
- Engine (esp. turbo) noise noticeable
- A bit of gearbox/transmission noise noticeable, esp. when you leave the accelerator and then accelerate again.
- Rear/Jump seats cannot be used for seating adults, due to very less headroom/legroom. My head was hitting the roof (i am 5'11'')
- Maneuverability within city limits can be a challenge.

SCORPIO MHAWK

+ Great pickup/acceleration at all RPM's. Its a rocket between the two.
+ Silent cabin. Engine noise not much.
+ I found the gearbox slots well.
+ Rear/Jump seats comfortable for 2 adults (both headroom and legroom)
+ Easy maneuverability within city
+ Costs less (base versions in comparison)
+ Comes with immobilizer

- Space for front/middle row
- Ride quality not as comfy.
- Handling: I did try to sway the vehicle while driving, but could not notice much roll. I am going to take a second test ride to check
- Shakes like hell when cranking or stopping the engine.
- Looks more of a Jeep (generic) rather than a SUV.

With the new Safari coming up in another 6 months timeframe, i am really worried about the resale of current version. I will weigh the options and decide soon.

PS: These are my personal views based on the test drive experience.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaysurfs View Post
SCORPIO MHAWK

- Handling: I did try to sway the vehicle while driving, but could not notice much roll. I am going to take a second test ride to check
is that a negative quality?
Old 9th September 2009, 17:58   #57
BANNED

Safari comes along with their known Tata quality(search the forum you'll come to know what i am talking about), my neighbours Safari is hardly 20 month old and started showing its age dont know why but Safari ages very fast.
Old 9th September 2009, 18:07   #58
BHPian

if your dad is driving.. maybe extend the budget and go for a automatic ford endevour.
driving will be easy and you have a SUV.
Old 10th September 2009, 01:48   #59
BHPian

I would prefer the Fortuner above all, as Tata and Mahindra are not what you can call Relianble or Comfy as the Toyota. Lets see if a little more wait can increase the budget by 5L
Old 10th September 2009, 09:15   #60
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I would prefer the Fortuner above all, as Tata and Mahindra are not what you can call Relianble or Comfy as the Toyota. Lets see if a little more wait can increase the budget by 5L
Lol...i think this is going to end with the Land Cruiser or Q7 now !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks