Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2009, 12:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio 2.2 Mhawk in exchange for Scorpio 2.6?

Hello Team bhpians,

I have a Mahindra Scorpio
Model: 2006
Model: Slx (then top end)
Kms driven: 45000
Accident history: Major 2008 accident
Toppled over at a sharp curve as the rear end went out (dad underestimated the curve) went into a ditch by the side and then toppled 3 times on roads
Costed us 47k apart from insurance for repairs at Bhasin motors, Delhi.

Nothin had happened to the engine as when car was put straight, it was started and loaded onto a truck.

Car is still running fine, tyres will last another 15k easily. Engine is a gem and in top condition (use Mobil1 every 10k kms).
Problems:
Clutch is ultra hard these days.
NVH has increased manifolds, i can hear the engine and it irritates me a lot now.

Rain water is daily entering the car from the gaps on doors. which is the biggest damper. Sides were heavily damaged and it seems an Accidental car can never be same again. We are considering selling the car within next 2 months.

Now my choices for a SUV as i already own a Linea and we require a SUV sometimes where sedans cant go. BUDGET MAX 9 L OTR

Options
1. Safari 2.2. I like the exteriors but the no of problems Safari guys face is troubling me. Also TASS has a trial and error method, change this and that. The stability is also good.

2. Scorpio 2.2 SLE - My most preffered choice, havent driven one yet but dad says the 2.2 is a big improvement in refinement levels over 2.6.
Does the SLE has ABS? I badly need it now. Its mentioned on site.
I trust this car a lot, 3 years with me and my Scorp never went to serv centre other than normal service. Not even 1 problem.
I still think new Scorpio doesnt has improved rear suspensions or better brakes?

3. Innova - This car is really confusing me. The interior quality is top notch and engine is so much more refined compared to Scorpio. Somehow i feel, this car is only to be chauffeured around in. Dad and me both love driving and the long bus like structure doesnt augur well.

I dont want to part with a car which saved my whole family but i cant bear with a wet car everyday. Also i would max get 4-4.5 L which is more than 50% less of what i paid 9,60,000. Engine and turbo are in good conditions which is making me consider keeping the car for 1 more year.

Will it be a wise idea to sell this and get a 2.2 Mhawk in SLE or LX (barebones). Diff in LX and SLE is 1L. Or should i bear with a leaking car for some more time
Old 12th September 2009, 13:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Heh it toppled over and showed its horrid handling once and you want to buy one more?

Buy an innova or stretch and get the fortuner.
Old 12th September 2009, 14:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Heh it toppled over and showed its horrid handling once and you want to buy one more? lol
The thing is that in 9L i have choice of only two SUV's Safari or Scorpio and i said i prefer Scorpio more. The accident happened not entirely because of the car and there was some human error too though handling of Scorp is not to talk about.
New car will be used only in City, for highways we have bought a Linea already.

Quote:
Buy an innova or stretch and get the fortuner.
I like the Innova but will i be able to do carefree driving (saving from bikes and rickshaws) in Delhi traffic. Dont know what people think but i feel maneuovring Innova in choc a bloc traffic could be tough as its long and people arent afraid of it like Scorpio or Safari where all stop when you move even 3 inches in another lane

Strecth the budget or double the budget, Fortuner costs double. Budget is max till 9L. The handling of Innova with rear seat comfort is awesome, agree.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 12th September 2009 at 14:15.
Old 12th September 2009, 14:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Innova is a good drivers car as well. It doesn't drive like it looks, ie. It doesn't drive like a ponderous minivan. The only issue is the looks dept.

The new Scorpio SLE has ABS. The engine is lighter and the suspension has been re-tuned. I have not drive the earlier or the new version extensively. Since you have, you should take a drive of the new one and see if the suspension/handling is better.

Go for the Scorpio if Innova is out of your reach or you don't like the MUV looks.
Old 12th September 2009, 15:04   #5
BANNED

buying new scorpio mahwk is the best option,better handling, less noisy and more comfortable than old one

you can check this review
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ts-safari.html
Old 12th September 2009, 15:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Innova is a good drivers car as well.The only issue is the looks dept
Hmm, yups. Looks is not much of an issue but am afraid of maneuvring it around in city because of its length. Its got virually no protection like sedans, anyone brushes against you and lo you are gone.

Quote:
The new Scorpio SLE has ABS. The engine is lighter and the suspension has been re-tuned.
Oh, if it has ABS then am glad. Braking is the weakest point of older scorpios. One hard brake and brakes jam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
buying new scorpio mahwk is the best option,better handling, less noisy and more comfortable than old one
Read that review by Tanveer. Seems its time for a TD of mhawk Scorp. Anyways mine makes so much noise nowadays from inside that i would see a world of diff in a TD scorp.

Is the FE better of Mhawk? Going by logic it should because weight is less. I get 11-12 in delhi with AC.
Old 12th September 2009, 17:37   #7
BHPian

coolboy,

Are you not interested in Tavera Neo/ Elite. I have been using it since last 2-1/2 years and now clicked 65000 kms. No problem till now (touch wood). It is very spacious and smooth ride. Minimum 10 persons can travel in it with great comfort without sticking to each other. I have pasted my link below just in case you wish to read through.
Also the best thing is you can turn this car in a small road in just one go. Even for Linea you need to reverse once to make the full turn, not so in Tavera. Braking is really good. Mileage I am still getting aroung 18 kmpl on highways. Never bothered to see the city mileage. Maintenance schedule is 10000 kms only.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...60000-kms.html[/FONT]

Last edited by jaisha8 : 12th September 2009 at 17:42. Reason: Spelling
Old 12th September 2009, 19:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Jaisha,

Have read your review before also. The thing is that in Delhi Tavera is used for all call centre cabs and police wallas keep giving hands to them to stop and show papers etc. Image of Tavera is not good this time.

I love Suv like looks and would have surely bought a Fortuner had i not spent 8L on Linea which i dont regret though.
Also, Tavera has turned old without any facelifts which is not interesting me.

To be frank, the sheer power of bullying those who bully you is only experienced by Safari and Scorpio owners

Now, its either Scorpio 2.2 or Innova. Rear seat comfort and luxury is taking me towards Innova and sheer power of Scorpio and suv looks take me towards it.
Old 13th September 2009, 12:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Jaisha,

Have read your review before also. The thing is that in Delhi Tavera is used for all call centre cabs and police wallas keep giving hands to them to stop and show papers etc. Image of Tavera is not good this time.

I love Suv like looks and would have surely bought a Fortuner had i not spent 8L on Linea which i dont regret though.
Also, Tavera has turned old without any facelifts which is not interesting me.

To be frank, the sheer power of bullying those who bully you is only experienced by Safari and Scorpio owners

Now, its either Scorpio 2.2 or Innova. Rear seat comfort and luxury is taking me towards Innova and sheer power of Scorpio and suv looks take me towards it.
Then you should go for Scorpio, I would say. Even I love Scorpio. I wish to go for Honda CR-V may be next year (after they launch the diesel version). For now, Linea is there to cover the distances...
Old 13th September 2009, 18:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about the accident buddy.

Quote:
2. Scorpio 2.2 SLE - My most preffered choice, havent driven one yet but dad says the 2.2 is a big improvement in refinement levels over 2.6.
Does the SLE has ABS? I badly need it now. Its mentioned on site.
I trust this car a lot, 3 years with me and my Scorp never went to serv centre other than normal service. Not even 1 problem.
yes, the SLE has ABS & is the best buy with an on road price of 9.2 lakhs.

Quote:
I still think new Scorpio doesnt has improved rear suspensions or better brakes?
mahindra has tweaked the suspension for better handling, ride comfort is up by a small margin.

Quote:
3. Innova - This car is really confusing me. The interior quality is top notch and engine is so much more refined compared to Scorpio.
Scorpio's mHawk engine is more refined than innova's D-4D engine.

Quote:
Somehow i feel, this car is only to be chauffeured around in. Dad and me both love driving and the long bus like structure doesnt augur well.
you are right about the innova buddy. but it isnt the bus like structure that hampers driving comfort but the engine. the innova's engine is not at all as responsive or eager as the mhawk. many may find the car like driving position to be comfortable but i prefer the scorpio's driving postion as i am sitting tall with a good view of the bonnet & great visibility.

Quote:
Will it be a wise idea to sell this and get a 2.2 Mhawk in SLE or LX (barebones). Diff in LX and SLE is 1L. Or should i bear with a leaking car for some more time
Sell it now before any major trouble arises.

better buy the SLE as it has ABS.

Quote:
I like the Innova but will i be able to do carefree driving (saving from bikes and rickshaws) in Delhi traffic. Dont know what people think but i feel maneuovring Innova in choc a bloc traffic could be tough as its long and people arent afraid of it like Scorpio or Safari where all stop when you move even 3 inches in another lane
ASK ME! not just auto drivers but even cyclists cut in your path!

best part is innova's body seems like tin foil. a cyclist fell on my front fender & left a small dent! a biker rear ended me & left a big hole in the bumper!

Quote:
Budget is max till 9L. The handling of Innova with rear seat comfort is awesome, agree.
when it comes to space & seating comfort, nothing like the innova. but i strongly recommend the scorpio since you and your dad love driving.

Quote:
Hmm, yups. Looks is not much of an issue but am afraid of maneuvring it around in city because of its length. Its got virually no protection like sedans, anyone brushes against you and lo you are gone.
infact maneouvering is easy as innova has got a very short turning radius. parking is also easy as the huge RVMs give a great view behind.

Quote:
Oh, if it has ABS then am glad. Braking is the weakest point of older scorpios. One hard brake and brakes jam.
no such issues with the new scorpio with ABS. braking is hard & comes to rest in a straight line.

braking of innova without ABS & stock tyres is a mess, as i recently experienced.

Quote:
Is the FE better of Mhawk? Going by logic it should because weight is less. I get 11-12 in delhi with AC.
yes, FE is up by 1-2 kmpl.

Quote:
its very easy.

got a chauffer? want to sit in the back seat & relax? head to a toyota showroom.

enjoy driving? enjoy SUVs? scorpio is calling you!
Old 13th September 2009, 19:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Sad to hear about the accident buddy.
Yes, it hurts when you have to sell a car within 3 years of buying with just 50k on ODO as there is huge depreciation but then we have no choice.
Quote:
yes, the SLE has ABS & is the best buy with an on road price of 9.2 lakhs.
Mahindra has tweaked the suspension for better handling, ride comfort is up by a small margin.
ABS was badly needed in Scorp and its great Mahindra finally provided it. Handling is more or less fine if you drive Scorpio like a Suv should be. Would be happy if they have improved rear seat comfort as you say.
Quote:
Scorpio's mHawk engine is more refined than innova's D-4D engine.
the innova's engine is many may find the car like driving position to be comfortable but i prefer the scorpio's driving postion as i am sitting tall with a good view of the bonnet & great visibility.
For seating and driving position the Scorpio wins hands down with an excellent road view. Refinement of Mhwak is better than D-4D, i never expected that but as you say you own both so i accept that.
2.6 wasnt a very refined engine in terms of NVH levels.

Quote:
ASK ME! not just auto drivers but even cyclists cut in your path!
best part is innova's body seems like tin foil. a cyclist fell on my front fender & left a small dent! a biker rear ended me & left a big hole in the bumper!
Thats the biggest negative of not being able to protect a Innova in delhi. A Ikon banged my still Scorpio in my appartments (girl dabbed the full accl) and went in my Scorpio. Ikon was totally finished from front and only some scratches and reflector broke from my beast.
Even in my accident, everyone came out alive. thanks to sheet quality of Mahindra. 3 topples and not 1 scratch.
Quote:
got a chauffer? want to sit in the back seat & relax? head to a toyota showroom.
enjoy driving? enjoy SUVs? scorpio is calling you!
Neither we have a chauffeur nor do i give my car to anyone else. Not even friends, leave alone drivers who drive like maniacs when owners arent there.

The deal is sealed i guess, Scorpio 2.2 SLE.
Thanks a lot.

Will run my current Scorp for more 8-9k kms and sell it off as recently got service done and has costed me 3-4k for gear oil change, brake oil change and synth oil.

If i buy car this year, again resale will be affected as it will count as 09 car and will get car next month only as many colors have a waiting period.
Old 13th September 2009, 20:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ABS was badly needed in Scorp and its great Mahindra finally provided it. Handling is more or less fine if you drive Scorpio like a Suv should be. Would be happy if they have improved rear seat comfort as you say.
Well, i meant ride comfort is a tad better. seating is almost the same, the refresh version has new seats. i have read in some reviews that they are better.

Quote:
Refinement of Mhwak is better than D-4D, i never expected that but as you say you own both so i accept that.
its not suprising that you reacted this way buddy! many on this forum have pushed me off saying that this is impossible. its just sealed in our mind that mahindras cannot be more refined than toyotas!

well, i would like to add one more thing. overall NVH is better in scorpio too. i mean tyre noise, engine noise, outside noise with windows closed & wind noise is more in innova compared to scorpio.

dont believe me? head for a back-to-back TD of the mHawk & innova.

Quote:
Thats the biggest negative of not being able to protect a Innova in delhi. A Ikon banged my still Scorpio in my appartments (girl dabbed the full accl) and went in my Scorpio. Ikon was totally finished from front and only some scratches and reflector broke from my beast.
Even in my accident, everyone came out alive. thanks to sheet quality of Mahindra. 3 topples and not 1 scratch.
i can vouch for the mahindra's tough build & innova's weak build, have had many experiences to support my claim.

Quote:
Will run my current Scorp for more 8-9k kms and sell it off as recently got service done and has costed me 3-4k for gear oil change, brake oil change and synth oil.

If i buy car this year, again resale will be affected as it will count as 09 car and will get car next month only as many colors have a waiting period.
thats a wise decision to wait till 2010.
Old 13th September 2009, 20:07   #13
BHPian

I am myself a Scorpio owner but shall not recommend you to buy one as you already have had one. Have some other vehicle now!
Old 14th September 2009, 15:11   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dad and me both love driving and the long bus like structure doesnt augur well.
If that's the only reason, discard it and head to the nearest Toyota showroom. The Innova is very car like to drive, way more so than the Scorpio & the Safari. These two SUVs can only dream about the long-term reliability & durability of the Innova. And the Innova's road manners, steering and high speed stability are better than the Scorpio / Safari too, making it a better / safer UV to drive.

Of course, it's not as cool as the other SUVs. And that alone can make or break your decision.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
its not suprising that you reacted this way buddy! many on this forum have pushed me off saying that this is impossible. its just sealed in our mind that mahindras cannot be more refined than toyotas!
And I am one of them.... still and I have driven both and I have no prejudices.
As for the question asked in the thread, Innova anyday over both Scorpio and Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks