Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 18:42   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
On powerful cars, you won't feel any power loss due to AT. And we are talking 5-speed AT here, which is generally a delight to drive.

Take a test drive on the AT before you discard the idea.
It's not the power loss, it's the sense of control in a manual, I'll float the idea but am not too sure if my dad'd be open to a manual. Truth be told I don't care for them myself either....I've driven the land cruiser, s500, rx330,rx350, 530i and a few others and I disliked the at in all of them!
Old 14th April 2010, 18:43   #32
BHPian

I found the AT version of Captiva to be pretty anaemic, probably I am comparing it with Endy's AT. Of course, there's a difference of full one litre in the engine capacity, hence the lack of grunt in Captiva while accelerating.

Talking about the manual version, driving Captiva in city could be a tiring affair because of turbo lag. Details are available in relevant threads.

I too have heard (not confirmed though) from salesman at GM that there could be some changes to Captiva later this year.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:39   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
It's not the power loss, it's the sense of control in a manual, I'll float the idea but am not too sure if my dad'd be open to a manual. Truth be told I don't care for them myself either....I've driven the land cruiser, s500, rx330,rx350, 530i and a few others and I disliked the at in all of them!
For a regular MT user, occasional AT driving can be acquired taste. I have driven more than 100,000 miles on AT cars, so I find them comfortable to use.

BTW, I just noticed you are looking for used car. I doubt you can get used Captiva LTZ, so this is a moot point.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:56   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

The Captiva is more car like with flatter ride and better handling. It offers much modern Interiors, more equipment, much better performance and is more Fuel efficient.

Pajero is a better buy if you travel on broken rural roads and need a vehicle than can take you off the road when required(Lets not compare it to a Jeep, not every one who needs a 4X4 wants it for a OTR).

But the Pajero has a outdated weak engine which feels uncomfortable due to short gearing provided to compensate for lack of power. The looks and interiors feel like they are from 80's(Though personally i like the classic looks). The Ride and Handling is very good considering its a old world chassis on ladder frame SUV.

A Used Captiva will be harder to find though. If you dont mind a Petrol engine i find Grand Vitara, Outlander and CRV to be much better cars compared to Captiva.

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th April 2010 at 20:00.
Old 14th April 2010, 20:35   #35
BHPian

My use is quite high. I generally put on 25000 km a year at-least. This is why I need to replace my innova with a diesel vehicle. I already have a petrol Laura thar replaced a NHC. This has increased my petrol bills a bit. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by buying a petrol suv
Old 14th April 2010, 22:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
My use is quite high. I generally put on 25000 km a year at-least. This is why I need to replace my innova with a diesel vehicle. I already have a petrol Laura thar replaced a NHC. This has increased my petrol bills a bit. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by buying a petrol suv
Suggest that you take a test drive of Outlander also. FE is not that bad. I have been getting between 8.5 and 9.96.
Old 15th April 2010, 14:36   #37
BHPian

My friends Car Broker has found a 2008 Captiva LT with 8,000 KM's on it. Single Owner with Comprehensive insurance and no accidents. The broker claims that the car is in excellent condition. I'm going to check it out today or tomorrow. The owner is asking for 19 lacs, I think this is an absolutely mental price, considering a new LT is 22 lacs on-road in Bangalore. How much would you be willing to spend on this car?
Old 15th April 2010, 14:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Fifteen should be more like it.
Old 15th April 2010, 14:47   #39
BHPian

I would not pay anything more than 12 lakhs for it. It's two model years old and is a Chevrolet so no poiont in expecting even decent re-sale value. This is according to Delhi since I called up a deler and confirmed. A dealer here told me he has a 2008 Cap with 12k on the clock and quoted 15 lakhs. I said nothing more than 12 and after a minute or so of negotiation he came down to 13.5 to which i said no. Still he asked me to come to his office to take it from there.

Not sure abt Bangalore but cars are certainly much expensive than Delhi. 13 lakhs at the max I would say. Gus from Bangalore would be able to pitch in with better figures though
Old 15th April 2010, 15:19   #40
BHPian

Certainly the car costs in Bangalore are much much higher than in Delhi. Carwale is pitching 12-14.6 depending on the car condition. I'll have to take a look at the car to decide.
Old 15th April 2010, 17:08   #41
BHPian

Have you considered the Outlander? I know it is only being offered in Petrol but it is definitely worth a consideration. It also has loads of goodies including a Rockford Fosgate ICE set up.

There is also a Pajero Sport slated to be launched soon. It is all new and looks wicked. This is in case you can wait a few months.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th April 2010 at 17:25. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 15th April 2010, 19:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Metal View Post
Have you considered the Outlander? I know it is only being offered in Petrol but it is definitely worth a consideration. It also has loads of goodies including a Rockford Fosgate ICE set up.

There is also a Pajero Sport slated to be launched soon. It is all new and looks wicked. This is in case you can wait a few months.

I think any Petrol is definitely out of the question. I am buying a used SUV, so the new Paj sport doesn't really help me much!
Old 18th April 2010, 12:43   #43
BHPian

Hey buddy, if it's just between captiva and pajero, IMO going for a modern vehicle is always better. Captiva will offer you all the creature comfort and since it's a chevy you might get really good deal. Pajero is pre historic and i don't understand why we still buy it especially when there are modern pajeros on sale.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:22   #44
BHPian

UPDATE : Decided not to buy an SUV

Hi Folks,

So we had pretty much zeroed in on a used Captiva. I was going to take a test drive of a barely used one. However, after a bit more research, we realized the lack of rear ac vents. This is a complete deal breaker for us. We own a Qualis that was for personal use before we bought our Innova. The biggest gripe we had about our Qualis was lack of rear AC vents. In-fact not a day went by where we didn't wish we had bought one with rear AC vents.
We are now going to keep the Innova until another SUV/MUV that is as comfortable as it comes along.
Thanks for your help !

imp!
Old 20th April 2010, 10:32   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes modern vehicles have better tech.
however personally I would not want a soft/off road vehicle that is Front Wheel Driven in its 2WD avatar. Hence I would prefer the Pajero even though it is old.
Fact is, we guys in India still consider the older Pajero largely on account of the cost factor/ price difference between the new versions and this older one.
And there is no getting away from the fact that the Pajero, while it is old and dated etc, has hard earned and impeccable off-road, rough use credentials.
Which is precisely why in the '90's every single Japanese Mulitnational Corporation like Sumitomo, Mitsubishi, Okura and so on, used to provide only Pajeros to their top management chaps in India, given the rough road conditions and the indestructible, reliable nature of the Pajeros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
Hey buddy, if it's just between captiva and pajero, IMO going for a modern vehicle is always better. Captiva will offer you all the creature comfort and since it's a chevy you might get really good deal. Pajero is pre historic and i don't understand why we still buy it especially when there are modern pajeros on sale.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks