Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 09:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re:Pajero's: I do not know why but the second hand Pajero's are being quoted at rates I would not want to touch with or buy a new one instead. And that's why it has not been one of the candidates although a tough machine.
Old 25th September 2009, 09:51   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

actually there are a few pajero's around here in Bangalore - used to the level of about 15000-20000-30000 kms - aged 2-3 years.
prices range about 12-14 lacs and appear to bein good condition (at least the one I saw seemed in good shape)

indeed about 4 months ago the expat chief of one of the big software companies sold off a gleaming, beautifully maintained One Year old Black Montero for Rs 22 Lacs to a Doctor via an used car dealer here in Bangalore - (it had done 7000 kms on the clock) and the said expat chief must have paid about 45 lacs to acquire it in the first place.

And we all know the off road and toughness pedigree of the Mitsubishi Pajero/ Montero vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Re:Pajero's: I do not know why but the second hand Pajero's are being quoted at rates I would not want to touch with or buy a new one instead. And that's why it has not been one of the candidates although a tough machine.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have been looking at the Tucson myself & yes they are available 17.09L on road here. Waiting is 15 days. Test drive awaited.

I was also looking at Pajeros 2008, but dealer prices are close to 17.5L for a year old with 15-30K on the clock. I would think 15L to be a reasonable number, considering the "Fortuner effect"

Fortuner though nice to drive , leaves something to be desired, brakes just being one area.

Anyways happy hunting !!!
Old 25th September 2009, 10:25   #19
BHPian

in case you need some user feed back let me know as one of my friend is using tucson for about 3 yrs and very well maintained
Old 25th September 2009, 11:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Upfront: I am a GV fan
That said with intro of new 2.4L Grand Vitara quite a few of the old 2.0L ones are in market. Especially the dealer cars are being sold and are a good bargain. A friend picked up one from a Delhi dealer with less than 15K on odo at 8lacs. It is petrol but if you are looking at any 4x4 capabilities its a good direction to look at...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
interesting post and learnings my friend.
yes a "first class" used Tuc is a tough one to find - in terms of it having a true history and being in good condition....
Sudev, Hadn't thought about the GV, and while probably much better than the CR-V in terms of running costs, i would still make that a last choice if no good diesel shows up. Thanks for pointing me in that direction though - now you have me thinking

Shankar, That's a very comprehensive list of dealers, and truly useful. Thanks! I had good reviews about National Cars on Magrath road - but that was a dead-end. Classic Automotive seems reasonable - not sure if people here have any feedback on them. I'm not sure if its just me - but the Scorpio feels cramped on the inside. Thanks for the offer of checking with your friends.

The only thing i really wish had changed on the Tucson is the absence of climate control - everything else seems perfect. Just continuiing the hunt, and hoping a good car comes along my way ... Just a quick question to the forum - should i be worried about high mileage vehicles (I mean 85-90K+ kms) Assuming that the vehicle has undergone regular maintenance - should i consider these type of vehicles, or should i stick to the 40-60K range?
Old 25th September 2009, 11:18   #21
BANNED

Sudev has done some super things with his GV (as per what Ive read on this forum) - I also love the GV's looks and general demeanour. The new one is rather nice too. But it is expensive (by my standards) and petrol driven SUV's are not an option that I personally would consider on account of the "think twice before driving out" aspect.

I would not recommend these very high mileage Tucs because more likely than not, they would have been beaten to death by some half wit driver and NOT loved and cared for the way an owner would. And I would have grave worries about the way the 4WD has been used by these dunderhead driver type chaps. Additionally if the lower mileage vehicles you've seen themselves lack a proper service history, it may be reasonable to assume that the higher mileage ones will definitely lack the same. which brings us back to square one!

National Motors is pretty good all round as far as I know. One of my friends always speaks highly of them.

You could certainly consider buying from Classic Automotives- their vehicles are pretty well looked after and they have a decent rep - talk to the man on this number - he's very helpful - I dont know his name though but he is the owner I think. 98454-01350.

will keep in touch via the forum or via PM should I come across a good Tuc.
another chap i know in coorg uses one and loves it - i dont know if he is in the mood to sell it or not though. but will check and tell you once I get to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingummy View Post
Sudev, Hadn't thought about the GV, and while probably much better than the CR-V in terms of running costs, i would still make that a last choice if no good diesel shows up. Thanks for pointing me in that direction though - now you have me thinking

Shankar, That's a very comprehensive list of dealers, and truly useful. Thanks! I had good reviews about National Cars on Magrath road - but that was a dead-end. Classic Automotive seems reasonable - not sure if people here have any feedback on them. I'm not sure if its just me - but the Scorpio feels cramped on the inside. Thanks for the offer of checking with your friends.

The only thing i really wish had changed on the Tucson is the absence of climate control - everything else seems perfect. Just continuiing the hunt, and hoping a good car comes along my way ... Just a quick question to the forum - should i be worried about high mileage vehicles (I mean 85-90K+ kms) Assuming that the vehicle has undergone regular maintenance - should i consider these type of vehicles, or should i stick to the 40-60K range?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th September 2009 at 11:20.
Old 25th September 2009, 11:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thingummy,

I think you should give a serious thought on Indian SUVs. Scorpio is a nice SUV which has served longterm without major issues with many BHPians. You will find numerous 2L km LTO reviews on this forum.
Old 25th September 2009, 12:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

indeed about 4 months ago the expat chief of one of the big software companies sold off a gleaming, beautifully maintained One Year old Black Montero for Rs 22 Lacs to a Doctor via an used car dealer here in Bangalore - (it had done 7000 kms on the clock) and the said expat chief must have paid about 45 lacs to acquire it in the first place.
That's an amazing deal. Do you know which car dealer was this one and if he has more deals like this ?
Old 25th September 2009, 12:56   #24
BANNED

@hondadude: that dealer in koramangala near the hanuman temple on 80 ft road. i dont know what he currently has though.

@thingummy - perhaps you should look through the TBHP Classified Section - I observe a lovely looking Black Tucson there as well as a few Pajeros - all seemingly within your budgetary expectations. -no harm checking these out I guess, though the locations may be outside BLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
That's an amazing deal. Do you know which car dealer was this one and if he has more deals like this ?
Old 25th September 2009, 13:00   #25
BHPian

i would definitely suggest you a forester.i know there are going to be a lot of negative replies to my post but drive it to beleive it.very difficult to find one in bangalore.i thot this was a awesome car on the highway which will never make you feel your car is rolling.second thing is nothing goes wrong with the car,all time all wheel drive.
Old 25th September 2009, 13:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Guys how about looking for Terracan,which also shares the same SUV characteristics of Tuc,though this model is stopped long back,might work out for a better deal.
Also has more features than the Tuc.

Welcome to Hyundai Motor :: Hyundai Terracan.
Old 25th September 2009, 13:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
i would definitely suggest you a forester.i know there are going to be a lot of negative replies to my post but drive it to beleive it.very difficult to find one in bangalore.i thot this was a awesome car on the highway which will never make you feel your car is rolling.second thing is nothing goes wrong with the car,all time all wheel drive.
Indeed a very nice car, though it was a big failure due to wrong pricing and segment pitching. Got discontinued long back, will be hard to locate, fix and maintain in an ownership.
Old 25th September 2009, 13:17   #28
BANNED

the terracan may not be a bad idea - those are almost as good as a Landcruiser indeed.
and incidentally there is one for sale on the TBHP classifieds too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Guys how about looking for Terracan,which also shares the same SUV characteristics of Tuc,though this model is stopped long back,might work out for a better deal.
Also has more features than the Tuc.

Welcome to Hyundai Motor :: Hyundai Terracan.
Old 25th September 2009, 13:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
Is that your Forrester up for sale on one of the sites? :-).. Seriously though, dont know much about this one. Will begin my research right away ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Guys how about looking for Terracan,which also shares the same SUV characteristics of Tuc,though this model is stopped long back,might work out for a better deal. Also has more features than the Tuc.
Not sure of the Terracan - If something does come along during my search, will take a look. Maintaining one might be a problem - Not very sure of how the parts and consumables scene is..

Shankar, Thanks again for all the contact info

Rajachu, Will check in via PM for feedback on the Tucson

Ricky, Have you checked the Fortuner out. I was a little disappointed with the interiors, and while i still see the value in it, my better half gave it a big thumbs-down. Besides, getting your hands on one is perhaps an year away with the closed bookings and potentially some wait time even when bookings open up again.

I wish something like the Montero deal drops in my lap, but for that i will have to really work the network!
Old 25th September 2009, 14:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
in case you need some user feed back let me know as one of my friend is using tucson for about 3 yrs and very well maintained

Feedback from a user would be great. I'd appreciate that. Do ask for the problem areas (if any) & cost of ownership / maintainence.

@thingummy
Yes, I did check out the Fortuner, infact my friend got his in the first lot. The braking I feel is a big issue, not confidence inspiring at all, which I am hoping can be fixed / upgraded. The vehicle did NOT excite me as much I thought it would. Except for the "Toyota Reliability" nothing else really would make me buy one. The ride is good. I also checked out the new Endy, now THAT says something. But then all have their +ve & -ve's

Thanks

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 25th September 2009 at 14:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks