Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 14:48   #1
BHPian

Small Guy Big Dream; The Safari dream

Hi All,
I plan to buy a Tata Safari Dicor LX in October 2009.
I have been reading a lot of posts regarding the same and the fact is, I'm confused.
To start with, the BIG issue. I have a small stature which means, when I look at a Safari, trust me, its HUGE.
That is one point that can become a hindrace to me fulfilling my dream. I just hope people here can convince me otherwise.

Other questions/queries:
1: LX or EX? Well a difference of 1.5 lacs with most features that can be added afterwards except the Immobilizer, Is it worth buying a LX and adding things as time goes by?
2: Engine Immobilizer is missing in LX: What if I get one of those Micro Technologies VBB systems, will it fill the void? Btw I do not know how much it costs, so appreciate if someone can advise the price and any dealers in Delhi.
3: Roof AC in LX is missing: Now my purpose will be limited to 25 km of to and fro for work and probably a weekend trip outside Delhi once in a month/2 months. So mostly I will be driving alone. If at all i'm going on a trip with 4-5 people will the AC be effective? Also if I need to get it fitted later on, is it possible/advisable and how much would it cost?
4: Body Colored Bumpers missing in LX: Now I would have really liked body colored bumpers/cladding, but I can live with grey, till I have Moolah to get them painted. How much will it cost btw and where should I get it painted in Delhi?
5: Bull Guard vs Nudge Guard: I have read at several places that the nudge guard is better than the bull guard since it does not impact the chassis if there is a crash. Can anyone suggest where can I get a nudge guard in Delhi (any preferred vendors)?
6: Which dealer is the best in Delhi? I would rather go to a dealer who quotes more for the Beast than one who has poor reputation. Any suggestions? Btw Rama Motors quoted the least.
7: I also heard that booking a car in the 3rd week of the month / towards the end of the year is good, cuz the dealers have targets to meet and they will give good discounts / free accessories? Is it true? and What should I bargain for?
8: Height Adjustable seat missing in LX: Now I went to a Tata Showroom, sat on the driver's seat, lowered it as much as was posisble and looked through the windshield. Guess what. I could see through to the end of the bonnet/hood. This is encouraging. now is it possible to swap the build in driver seat with a height adjustable seat? If yes, is it very expensive?
9: Last but not the least: Which Color? I love Quartz Black but then I somehow developed a liking for pearl White and that Maroon Red (This one looks beautiful). I expect contrasting opinions on this one What is better the Macho Black or the Creamy White or the Beautiful Maroon?

Thanks guys. This is my first post, so if there is something missing please be kind enough to advise.

Best Wishes
Old 25th September 2009, 15:13   #2

Dear
You have a very good choice and i think we both have same thinking in terms of SUV.
Though i have bought SCORPIO over SAFARI due to some reasons. Well i give replies some of your quaires as i had also gone over all these questions. And on ganesh chaturthi i bought the SCORPIO despite i am great fan of SAFARI.Remaing later.
thanks
Old 25th September 2009, 16:13   #3
BHPian

@rajeevkmr. Congrats on the Scorpio. Would love to hear your experience. Happy miles...
Old 25th September 2009, 16:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItMyLife View Post
To start with, the BIG issue. I have a small stature which means, when I look at a Safari, trust me, its HUGE.
That is one point that can become a hindrace to me fulfilling my dream. I just hope people here can convince me otherwise.
If this was the case then no one is big enough to drive a truck or pilot a plane. Small stature does not hinder as you can have seat pulled up front, raise the height and also adjust the steering.

Let other questions be answered by current Sfari guru's
Old 25th September 2009, 16:32   #5
BANNED

Hi Buddy,

I hope this link below will answer lot of your questions and more

Do keep us informed about your quest.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...re-please.html
Old 25th September 2009, 16:42   #6
BHPian

Hi, since body coloured bumpers, engine immobilzer, and roof mounted AC interest you, suggesting that it is wise to go for the EX variant. Adding these later on will not be worth the effort and money spent. If it is not a self-financed deal, then maybe a longer term loan would just work out for an EX. As for me, i went in for the LX, as the above features didn't interest me as much.

Here's wishing you good luck towards your purchase decision!
Old 25th September 2009, 16:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
If this was the case then no one is big enough to drive a truck or pilot a plane. Small stature does not hinder as you can have seat pulled up front, raise the height and also adjust the steering.
I agree with this..your size/height is in no ways related to the size of the car you want to drive or own. If this was a bike, maybe that would be a consideration but here its immaterial.
Take a test drive and see for yourself if you have doubts about vision from driving position etc but most things can be solved easily.
Old 25th September 2009, 17:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
I have been reading a lot of posts regarding the same and the fact is, I'm confused.

// check the pix posted in the link Pavam had posted; look for my pix Hope this helps.

Other questions/queries:
1: LX or EX? Well a difference of 1.5 lacs with most features that can be added afterwards except the Immobilizer, Is it worth buying a LX and adding things as time goes by?

//You buy EX and you get 2,3,4,8 ! Would suggest maroon and get the bumpers painted if its a LX.

5: Bull Guard vs Nudge Guard: I have read at several places that the nudge guard is better than the bull guard since it does not impact the chassis if there is a crash. Can anyone suggest where can I get a nudge guard in Delhi (any preferred vendors)?

//check post by tsk

6: Which dealer is the best in Delhi? I would rather go to a dealer who quotes more for the Beast than one who has poor reputation. Any suggestions? Btw Rama Motors quoted the least.

// we have couple of guys from N.Delhi; check their threads or PM them.

7: I also heard that booking a car in the 3rd week of the month / towards the end of the year is good, cuz the dealers have targets to meet and they will give good discounts / free accessories? Is it true? and What should I bargain for?

// True but a dec car is always one year older than a January car. Ask for free insurance, painted bumpers etc.

Thanks guys. This is my first post, so if there is something missing please be kind enough to advise.

Best Wishes
Welcome to TBHP. May your dream come true very soon.

Last edited by jkdas : 25th September 2009 at 17:34.
Old 25th September 2009, 21:58   #9
BHPian

Thanks guys for the tips. The whole reason why the height factor came up is because my budget is limited to buying a safari lx and that means I do not get height adjustable seats.
Old 25th September 2009, 22:47   #10
BHPian

My answers in Bold.
Quote:
Hi All,
The Safari is meant to look huge and it doesnt matter even if a person with huge stature drives an 800.

Other questions/queries:
Depends
2: Engine Immobilizer is missing in LX: What if I get one of those Micro Technologies VBB systems, will it fill the void? Btw I do not know how much it costs, so appreciate if someone can advise the price and any dealers in Delhi.
The Engine Immobilizer works thru the ECU.An aftermarket fitment like even the Micro VBB wont be equivalent.
3: Roof AC in LX is missing: Now my purpose will be limited to 25 km of to and fro for work and probably a weekend trip outside Delhi once in a month/2 months. So mostly I will be driving alone. If at all i'm going on a trip with 4-5 people will the AC be effective? Also if I need to get it fitted later on, is it possible/advisable and how much would it cost?
The Roof AC can be fitted later on for around 30k but the LX still has the floor mounted vents in the centre and i guess it would be enough for your occassional weekend trips.
4: Body Colored Bumpers missing in LX: Now I would have really liked body colored bumpers/cladding, but I can live with grey, till I have Moolah to get them painted. How much will it cost btw and where should I get it painted in Delhi?
The Dealers generally charge around 25k for the entire paint of claddings and bumper.You can always negotiate.A market paint shop would be atleast 10k cheaper.

But you should be prepared for accidental repair bills as well if you get it painted outside.The insurance company pays the entire amount for the paint and the labour in case of an accident.By any means you wont be able to cover it under insurance.
No idea
Yes, you can bargain for free stereo/bull gaurds/gear lock etc.
8: Height Adjustable seat missing in LX: Now I went to a Tata Showroom, sat on the driver's seat, lowered it as much as was posisble and looked through the windshield. Guess what. I could see through to the end of the bonnet/hood. This is encouraging. now is it possible to swap the build in driver seat with a height adjustable seat? If yes, is it very expensive?
Its not possible IMO.(Basically lot of trouble and expense,Not easy to source)
9: Last but not the least: Which Color? I love Quartz Black but then I somehow developed a liking for pearl White and that Maroon Red (This one looks beautiful). I expect contrasting opinions on this one What is better the Macho Black or the Creamy White or the Beautiful Maroon?
Purely a subjective opinion.But in case you go for an LX it would be easier to get the bumpers and cladding painted in White.(I ve seen LX safari's with painted bumpers and claddings but the poor dealers couldnt even match the shade)

Best Wishes
In case you have an address proof of Gurgaon/Noida its better to buy the beast from there and you will atleast save around 30k, which may help you cover for EX.
Best of Luck.

Last edited by k2max6 : 25th September 2009 at 22:49.
Old 28th September 2009, 11:15   #11
BHPian

thanks guys. Can anyone help me with the pricing mentioned above in my questions. Also I do need to know who is the best dealer in New Delhi. I don't have an address proof in Gurgaon/Noida, so cant buy it from there.
Old 29th September 2009, 09:54   #12
BHPian

No idea regarding dealers but make sure that you opt for the maximum extented warranty for you beast from whereever you buy , I think its 4 years.
Old 29th September 2009, 10:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
Average Indian height is not very tall and I have seen many Service advisers of below average hight at T.A.S.S who handle dozens of Safaris daily.
Should not be an issue as long as you are comfortable with gear shift and clutch.
Quote:
Other questions/queries:
Height adjustable seats and rear defogger can not be fitted later rest every thing can be fitted. Talk to Minda support people , Minda OEM unit can be fitted to LX though T.A.S.S denies it at the time of sale.
Quote:
Go for Minda immobilizer it is same unit which is sold in EX. ECU wire need to be stripped ( not cut if it is cut warranty is VOID). Minda unit is not sold as official acessory by T.A.S.S as it is biggest differentiator for 1.5 lakh ruppes.
Autocop is also good option and it is sold as valid accessory by T.A.S.S
Quote:
Well for me any many LX owners it is just fine but yes an extra coil and blower is always wellcome but remember competition is selling a similar sized vehcile with same AC with single unit. Confusion arises when you have an option.
I heard that in Delhi dealers fit the roof AC unit as aftermarket just check with service advisors.
Quote:
may be 8 - 10 K , but don't get them painted grey colour is much better and you will not have heart burn due to minor scratch in traffic.
Quote:
Personal choice I would advice against any bull / nudge gurad , Just get the OEM fog lamps fitted on LX for 2800 Rs.
Quote:
May be some delhi BHPians can help here
Quote:
I heard 15 K but if you are only driver may be you can talk to seat cover maker and get a seat cover with couple of inches of hard cushion to raise height. A cheaper option but does not work if there are lots of drivers with varying heights.

Quote:
I have quartz black , Blacks are hard to maintain.

Quote:

Best Wishes
DO NOT FIT AFTERMARKET ALLOYS , IN CASE YOU ARE PARTICULAR ON ALLOY GO FOR OEM OR AURA ? NEO IN OEM SIZE.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:26   #14
Team-BHP Support

Some answers
1. LX vs EX - Its an entirely personal choice. However, there is one feature in EX which can be a life saver for you. The height adjustible drivers seat. Everything else can be overlooked. A TD will solve your dilemma
2. Tata uses Minda. You can get the same stuff fitted by paying extra. But trust me, a gear lock works better than an immobilizer
3. Even without roof AC, the chilling is excellent. Have sat in LX in 40 degree heat , and the back seat took just a little extra time to cool, thats it.
4. IMHO, non colored cladding is ok. If you get it painted, you will have to be very careful. Many dealers throw in the Colored cladding as a "freebie", so bargain
5. Not much difference between the two, except for how they are mounted. For example, in my case, the mounting is through bumper grill, so the bar is sitting on the beam behind bumper. So atmost I loose around 2mm of plastic as crumple zone. Moreover the mounting rods are thin in my case, so any hard impact, and they will break first, and no extra load on chasis. However so mount with U shaped beams going below the bumper and then bolting onto the chasis, behind the beam on the bumper. Avoid that. I got mine from Bimbra in Delhi, best quality
6. Sanya motors also has good repo, ditto for Autolinks. Make sure you go with a dealer who has the "Demo safari" in house. When you go for a TD, if dealer makes you go on an unregistered safari, steer clear. Some dealers use their personal cars. So you will see 10K on the odo. Others use a special car marked Demo
7. Bargain for 25000rs if you are getting accessories like cladding paint. If you go for outright cash, 15-20K is good
8. Do not go there. If LX seat is fine, then stick to that.
9. LX does not come in Pearl white. So you go for either Maroon or Black. But black is high high maintenance, only if you have time, money and the patience to maintain black, go for black. If you want white, its normal white in LX
Old 29th September 2009, 14:44   #15
BHPian

Thanks tsk and amit. How is the feedback on Rama Motors? Also do like to mention that Autolink Service Station is right behind my house. How is their service?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed