Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 20:53   #1
Team-BHP Support

Scorpio or Tavera

One of my friends wants to buy a car which will be chaffeur driven and should seat 5 comfortably. Daily drive will be around 60-80 Kilometers. He has identified these two cars but is not able to make up his mind. I think the Scorpio is a better driver's car than the Tavera, but the Tavera is more trouble free and more comfortable. Can anyone please let me know the pros and cons of the two cars in question?
Old 12th October 2009, 21:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
One of my friends wants to buy a car which will be chaffeur driven and should seat 5 comfortably. Daily drive will be around 60-80 Kilometers. He has identified these two cars but is not able to make up his mind. I think the Scorpio is a better driver's car than the Tavera, but the Tavera is more trouble free and more comfortable. Can anyone please let me know the pros and cons of the two cars in question?
Going by the ownership reviews on this forum, Scorpio seems to be trouble free as well. IMO, the seats in "new refreshed Scorpio" have excellent thigh support. I haven't sat in a Tavera in a long time but I think Scorpio seats are more comfortable. Besides, Scorpio has lot more character than Tavera. Unless the requirement is to seat more than 5 people, I would recommend Scorpio.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

1) Tavera is bit more old and also not powerful enough. But for chauffeur driven, its OK. You will feel that its old nevertheless.

2) Scorpio has got better refinement than Tavera.

3) Tavera is more car like to handle than Scorpio. Both of them are not going to behave like a sedan.

4) IMHO, if your friend is not planning to have more passengers, Scoprio is overall a better option.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Owner Driven, Image Conscious and Rugged - Scorpio
Chauffeur Driven requiring more cabin space - Tavera
Old 12th October 2009, 22:11   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Tavera = a STRICT NO NO. One of the awful MUV's that i've ever travelled in. The mid seats are the worst to be in. Set at a very awkward angle.

Let him go for the Scorpio instead.

If in case he needs 5 people to be Comfortable. Safari DiCOR suits the requirement.
Old 12th October 2009, 23:30   #6
BHPian

Isn't Innova the obvious choice?
Old 12th October 2009, 23:58   #7
BHPian

Guys, the thread and it's title clearly talk about Scorpio and Tavera. Why are we even talking about Innova and Safari?
BlackPearl, I think your friend should go for the Scorpio.
Old 13th October 2009, 00:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Neither. The Xylo would be the best bet for him.
Old 13th October 2009, 00:42   #9
Team-BHP Support

What will be the price difference between Tavera and Xylo? I had completely forgotten about the Xylo. I was not recommending the Scorpio as I have heard that the interiors are cramped. Is Xylo more spacious than Scorpio?
Old 13th October 2009, 01:00   #10
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Tavera is old, but much ahead of scorpio in terms of ride quality, and comfort.

I have no clue about Xylo.

Innova seems to be the best to me!
Old 13th October 2009, 01:46   #11
BHPian

Frankly speaking , both these options do not sound good to me as it is a chauffer driven vehicle.
1)Tavera: Too old,Leaf springs,old engine,rugged,not very comfortable at the rear
2)Scorpio: Rear seats are not gr8 compared to innova or safari.Apart from chauffer only 4 can travel.

I suggest an innova because it will provide 6 or 7 seats apart from chauffer and is comfortable on good to medium roads.Very reliable.
Safari was a good option but accomodating 5 + chauffer means punishing one person by making him seat at the extreme rear seat.Expect small issues but nothing major atleast for most of the people.
The new innova looks good.But among all these options if u need look and comfort, nothing to beat the Safari.The ride feels like that of a more expensive S.U.V. But for your friend's purpose Innova seems to fit best.

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 13th October 2009 at 01:47.
Old 13th October 2009, 06:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Tavera with middle row captain seats (like someone on the forum only) would be the best option. If it has to be chauffeur driven, nothing's better.

There are more than enough rich junta in punjab who do it!
Old 13th October 2009, 06:50   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

consider the Innova and Xylo for this purpose. I do appreciate he has narrowed down on Scorp and Tavera but I would suggest he does a TD on these two possibilities as well before making up his mind. I think if one is going to be chauffeur driven daily and drive 80 km every day, one needs a Diesel with excellent middle row comfort, which is why these suggestions.
Old 13th October 2009, 07:00   #14
BHPian

Wait for six months

There is a new engine on the blocks for the Tavera. I would suggest that your friend wait for another 6 months. If he is in a hurry then the Scorpio is a better option as of now.
Old 13th October 2009, 07:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
2)Scorpio: Rear seats are not gr8 compared to innova or safari.Apart from chauffer only 4 can travel.
How many of you, who are trashing Scorpio's rear seats, have actually sat in the latest refresh Scorpio (I am talking about middle row) ?

I found the seat comfort to be better than both Innova and Safari. I know it is shocking, but true. I recently test drove both Scorpio and Safari with my family and everyone was unanimous in their opinion about middle row seat comfort.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed