Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 19:21   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@evo:

It is indeed the Fortuner effect. Used Pajero and Endy prices specially for someone who is trying to sell a two three year old model will take a hit.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:55   #32
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Suddenly its raining used Pajeros, asking prices for 3 year old ones have come down from 14 to 10 as if overnight.

Can it be the Fortuner effect? If yes, how? Why would it impact the used Pajeros, wouldnt a Pajero buyer normally upgrade?
Yes bound to happen if one can buy a new Fortuner/ Endy (auto) or / Captiva in the 17-18.5L range with 50% more power, features and reliability then why would one pay 14 L for a 2 year old old school Pajero?
Old 28th October 2009, 10:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

I remember the old days when the TERRACAN was called TERRA'KHAN' with pride, the days when Shah Rukh Khan was endorsing HYUNDAI.

If I am replacing a SAFARI sometime in the not so near future, I was thinking of the present PAJERO (old school). Reasons being
  1. Its a Paris-Dakar champion and the last of the ladder on frame robust stuff from MITSUBISHI
  2. Its made in India, which means good and longer availability of spare parts.
  3. Its world famous and sold all over the world, which should help it
The things I hate
  1. Looks odd when it is driven only with 1 person in it, i.e driven alone
  2. Looks more MPVish than SUVish, closer to the SUM0/TAVERA/QUALIS brigade than the CRV/FORTUNER types
Old 28th October 2009, 11:45   #34
evo
BHPian

True, what you say makes sense ACM, eventhough endy`s are available around the same price as the Terraccan, somehow, the Terra is much more attractive, its got that certain something that makes it stand apart.

Or perhaps the X Trail, considering that a two year old X Trail is a humongously better car than the Terra, that too 4 years old.
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:46   #35
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Pls note COMMENTS IN ALL CAPS IN LINE BELOW
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
If I am replacing a SAFARI sometime in the not so near future, I was thinking of the present PAJERO (old school). Reasons being
  1. Its a Paris-Dakar champion and the last of the ladder on frame robust stuff from MITSUBISHI
YEP TRUE
  1. Its made in India, which means good and longer availability of spare parts.
NOT NECESSARILY - IT IS A SOLD BY HINDUSTAN MOTORS BUT DECENT CHANCES.
  1. Its world famous and sold all over the world, which should help it
THAT WOULD ONLY HELP WITH THE MIND GAMES.

The things I hate
  1. Looks odd when it is driven only with 1 person in it, i.e driven alone
BUT THEN SUVS' ARE MENT TO BE DRIVEN AWAY INTO THE WILD ALONE..
  1. Looks more MPVish than SUVish, closer to the SUM0/TAVERA/QUALIS brigade than the CRV/FORTUNER types
ACTUALLY LOOKS ARE SUBJECTIVE, BUT PAJERO LOOKS ARE QUITE GOOD ESPECIALLY THE REFRESHED SX
Old 21st December 2009, 13:06   #36

Hi All,

Need some advice here. I'm looking to buy a used Terracan in Mumbai and may have found a good vehicle. The support I'm looking for, from you Team-BHPians is:

1. Is the Terracan a good buy for Rs 9L or so? The car seems to be in immaculate condition (externally). I TD-ed and no suspension rattles or unusual engine noises.
2. So, what should I look for specifically in a used Terra (when test-driving and before buying)
3. What is the "facelifted" model? How do I know if I'm buying the facelifted model or something older? (it seems to me that the facelifted model is the better buy of the two)
4. Any experience of "long" drives with the Terra would be immensely helpful. I am planning a Mumbai - Kanha trip, if I decide to take this vehicle. Does the Terra have a reputation of a good cruise vehicle?
5. And lastly, if any of you have done the NH3-NH6 stretches, I would greatly welcome your feedback of the state of the roads as well as the any suggestions/advice.

Thanks.
- Bala.
Old 21st December 2009, 14:26   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

@bayyangar- If it is convenient please get the car checked at hyundai ASC before finalising the deal, this shall also take care of the validating the mileage on the odo and the service details if the vehicle was maintained at any Hyundai ASC.

There were minor changes made to the facelifted version of Terracan, The Scorpio like grill with Horizontal slants was changed to one which had Swift like honeycomb look. Another change was Slight increase in power and different alloys. And if i remember correctly the some change was made to taillights.

Terracan comes with a very potent Diesel engine, its a very good cruiser with good high speed manners.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:32   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@bayyangar- If it is convenient please get the car checked at hyundai ASC before finalising the deal, this shall also take care of the validating the mileage on the odo and the service details if the vehicle was maintained at any Hyundai ASC.

There were minor changes made to the facelifted version of Terracan, The Scorpio like grill with Horizontal slants was changed to one which had Swift like honeycomb look. Another change was Slight increase in power and different alloys. And if i remember correctly the some change was made to taillights.

Terracan comes with a very potent Diesel engine, its a very good cruiser with good high speed manners.

Many thanks Anshuman. From your description, it looks like I'm working with the facelifted model here. I will definitely take the Terra for a spin again and also to a Hyundai ASC for a check-up. I have asked for the Service Records, but haven't got it yet. So will follow-up on that.

If anyone owns a Terra, could you please comment on its fuel efficiency? The dealers did not know. Also, what kind of maintenance overheads should I expect?

I haven't heard from anyone about NH3/NH6 and would greatly appreciate feedback/suggestions/advice, if you have been through that route.

Regards,
- Bala.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:57   #39

I own a Terra(newer version) and have no complaints whatsoever. I have taken it on long drives and have found it to be very reliable and great for highway cruising. It gives me about 10kmpl on regular diesel and about 11 kmpl on diesel with additives but I was told that fuel with additives is not good for CRDI engines. You may watch the following on youtube:
Old 11th January 2010, 22:21   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer View Post
I own a Terra(newer version) and have no complaints whatsoever. I have taken it on long drives and have found it to be very reliable and great for highway cruising. It gives me about 10kmpl on regular diesel and about 11 kmpl on diesel with additives but I was told that fuel with additives is not good for CRDI engines. You may watch the following on Youtube:
YouTube - Moon TV - Hyundai Terracan Destroyed
Thanks Pinzgauer. How long have you had your Terra and what problems, if any, do you face with parts. I'm planning on buying used but the car that seemed to be in the best condition has done roughly 80,000 kms (ironical). I had Hyundai check up the car and their report is promising.

Thanks,
- Bala.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:56   #41
BHPian

@TheARUN :Replacing a Safari is hard work. I tried out most of the newer vehicles - Fortuner included - to replace my Safari. I am 6 feet 2 and big built. Nothing seemed as comfortable as the Safari. My illusion with the Fortuner was shattered after a test drive - no space, bad brakes and terrible seats. No offence meant, am not one to go for the soft roaders - CRV etc look too feminine for my taste. But yeah, Pajero sets my heart racing. Unfortunately haven't TDed one. I am sure it would not disappoint. For people like me who would do 1000 km trips on a whim, I would prefer simple DI/IDI mechanicals to complex CRDIs. Imagine using the same fuel a farmer can use for his tractor or pumpset on a CRDI. Possibly no engine will disappoint, but when you are in a bad situation, you would not want it to go worse.

On a lighter note: In case you buy a Fortuner/Endy/Captiva/CRV - imagine the kind of silly questions you have to answer- mileage kaisa hai, off road pe kaisi chalti hai... if you buy a Pajero, ignore the specs, its got pedigree. Everyone knows its powerful and comfortable and excellent off the road. It's a proved itself in the most gruelling Paris Dakar. All questions are pre-answered.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:44   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@hkborah:

If you don't like CRDe you may want to get a Bolero DI or Tempo Trax Gama pretty quick. Once the BSIII/BSIV norms come into effect nationwide the non CRDe DI engines and IDI engines will dissappear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks