Team-BHP - Used Hyundai Terracan? Good buy or only for Chengis Khan types?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Used Hyundai Terracan? Good buy or only for Chengis Khan types? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/67414-used-hyundai-terracan-good-buy-only-chengis-khan-types.html)

Hey, does anyone have any idea, comments or warnings about a used Hyundai Teraccan?

Whatever little I found on the thread was totally against it, but couldnt find any reasons saying why.

So if you could throw light on the following:

1)Maintainance(costs and ease/discomfort)

2)Pricing for a pre facelift 2005 model.

3)Any other issues.

Hi Evo,

I was hunting for a used Terracan myself and these are my thoughts on it. The Terracan is essentially based on the previous generation Pajero called the Mitsubishi Galloper. The Terracan is a very competent and comfortable vehicle with a very powerful 2.9 CRD engine that makes about 165 bhp.

However, the vehicle was made by Hyundai globally only for a couple of years and discontinued globally in 2007. Hence if there is a part that is not shared by other hyundai models, it will be hard to find since the vehicle has been out of production and it didn't sell in huge numbers when it was available. I wouldn't pay anything over 8 lakhs for a pre-2005 model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1531633)
Hi Evo,

The Terracan is a very competent and comfortable vehicle with a very powerful 2.9 CRD engine that makes about 165 bhp.

However, the vehicle was made by Hyundai globally only for a couple of years and discontinued globally in 2007. Hence if there is a part that is not shared by other hyundai models, it will be hard to find since the vehicle has been out of production and it didn't sell in huge numbers when it was available. I wouldn't pay anything over 8 lakhs for a pre-2005 model.

Exactly my thoughts, but I would go even more harsh as the part availablity would be very poor and even 6.5 L may be fair for these in 4-7 year old range.

Do keep in mind that reselling in another 3 years is likely to fetch less than Rs. 2L.

As a vehicle it is supposed to be good, reliable, luxurious, and definately more than a tab better than the CRV, tucson types, closer to the montero.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1531633)
Hi Evo,

Hmm, it was comfortable and quite powerful, I`m just more predisposed towards the Facelift model, but as you rightly pointed out there arent many of them available in the first place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 1532045)
Exactly my thoughts, but I would go even more harsh as the part availablity would be very poor and even 6.5 L may be fair for these in 4-7 year old range.

Do keep in mind that reselling in another 3 years is likely to fetch less than Rs. 2L.

As a vehicle it is supposed to be good, reliable, luxurious, and definately more than a tab better than the CRV, tucson types, closer to the montero.

Aha, sounds logical, but 2 L? Even if purchased at 7 that would mean a 1.25 Lakh per year depreciation which is more than 10,000 bucks a month! Are you sure its that bad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 1532045)

Part availability is not a issue with Terracan, Hyundai normally gets parts faster from Korea than a local Mahindra dealer can source a Scorpio's parts. Seen this instance personally.

After 3 years the car will easily faetch way above 2lakh rupees.

I sometimes feel bhpains are a reason for the old cars price to fall drasticaly & cars like maruti ss80 to appreciate insensibly.6.5 for a teracan is a steal if you find it.

@anshuman: I too own an Elantra Crdi and they have been quite okay with parts uptill now. But any idea of the costs associated with running one? At 42000 km, it hasnt really driven a hell lot for a 4 year old car dont you think?

@nandishpal: Haha, only if bhpians could cause new car prices to fall drastically too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo (Post 1533317)
@anshuman: I too own an Elantra Crdi and they have been quite okay with parts uptill now. But any idea of the costs associated with running one? At 42000 km, it hasnt really driven a hell lot for a 4 year old car dont you think?

@nandishpal: Haha, only if bhpians could cause new car prices to fall drastically too!

My Elantra has done more than 120k, the maintainance cost is very reasonable for car of this segment.

Its really in good softroader but was accepted by the people being a Hyundai badge.
Maintaining one these days is tough.
The cost of spares are high.
Engine is not shared with any of their siblings(Tucson,Sonata,Elantra)so that the availability of spares will be easy.
Resale value is very less when compared to Tucson.
Difficult to find one which is reasonably driven & well maintained within the price bracket.

Nice title for the thread. 4x4 addict is spot on. Spares and service would be a serious concern.

Guys, don't compare the Terracan with the Elantra CRDi. The Elantra was produced globally for many years and sold in much larger numbers than the Terracan which was offered only in a handful of countries. The 2.0 CRDe engine of the Elantra is still in production on the Sonata Embera. The Elantra was sold in pretty much most markets in large volumes. The Terracan is a different ball game. Given that it wasn't a great seller, how many of the body panels, lights etc would you expect Hyundai to keep around? Unless the 2.9 CRDe engine is shared with other Hyunai vehicles be it commercial or passenger, How much parts do you think Hyundai will stock?

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 1534306)
My Elantra has done more than 120k, the maintainance cost is very reasonable for car of this segment.

Exactly, our car is only about 65000 KM, but runs well asap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beejay (Post 1534700)
Nice title for the thread. 4x4 addict is spot on. Spares and service would be a serious concern.

Thank you. About spares, I checked with the Hyundai Service guys, the chap was quite confident.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1534754)
Guys, don't compare the Terracan with the Elantra CRDi. The Elantra was produced globally for many years and sold in much larger numbers than the Terracan which was offered only in a handful of countries. The 2.0 CRDe engine of the Elantra is still in production on the Sonata Embera. The Elantra was sold in pretty much most markets in large volumes. The Terracan is a different ball game. Given that it wasn't a great seller, how many of the body panels, lights etc would you expect Hyundai to keep around? Unless the 2.9 CRDe engine is shared with other Hyunai vehicles be it commercial or passenger, How much parts do you think Hyundai will stock?

Thats true, compared to the elantra, the Teraccan was only produced in miniscule numbers, but for me, thats a good thing, I like cars which arent seen a dime a dozen! But you are right, it does mean that spares will be a pain.

Though I think that the Elantra engine and the Sonata engine are different. The elantra is an older generation 2.0 which was basically a 4 pot version of the accent crdi while the Sonata has a newer 2 litre with a VGT like in the Linea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 1532265)
Part availability is not a issue with Terracan, Hyundai normally gets parts faster from Korea than a local Mahindra dealer can source a Scorpio's parts. Seen this instance personally.

After 3 years the car will easily faetch way above 2lakh rupees.

+1 to that.

Hyundai gets parts from Korea in a way that makes you think there is some kind of pipeline between the two countries.

@evo- Both Elantra and Sonata Embera(now transform) share the same engine, the difference is VGT and updated injection system.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating,

Hyundai is noted for being able to get parts from korea fast, but but that is if the part is available there in the first place, In the case of Terracam, the due to the short production run and even lesser sales in that short period, the part avalability is a major question mark.

Hence only the case of terracam (not for tucson and not for elantra - both of which were produced for more years with shared engine parts with other models) there is high possiblity of parts issue even now and definately in a couple of years.

That said the terracam is a good vehicle and worth the risk if there is an icredible deal. It will depreciate fast, but then there are other cars that also depreicate even faster even when new and people still buy them.