Team-BHP - Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/67541-need-advice-new-safari-2-2-lx-vtt-safari-2008-3-0-top-model.html)

Hey Everyone,

First of all thanks to team-bhp for helping make up my mind to buy a Safari when I had my share of doubts around Scorpio being better!

Well, when I was finally set to reclaim my life, I figured that I would be able to afford the LX 4x2 DICOR VTT.

I did my share of research in Delhi (NCR) and didn't have a very pleasant experiance will visiting TAS. They were least bothered about people wanting to buy new TATA cars! Buying an asset worth 8+ Lacs is not a joke atleast for me.

To my surprise one of the showrooms I went to in Defence Colony shocked my wits out!! Here is what happened:

I first call the showroom numbers available on the net and and ask for a LX 4x2 VTT quote. They promise a callback in 5 minutes which I never received.

Anyways, thinking they might be busy I decided to visit their showroom. I ask the receptionist for a quote, she hands me a piece of paper (Price List) which I had almost remembered by heart while visiting TAS. She calls the sales guy asking him to come out telling him a customer had come in for a Safari.

This Girl : xyz kahan ho?
This Girl : ek customer aaya hai Safari ke liye.
This Girl : hehehehe, seriously batao na?
This Girl : mana kar doon? hehehehehe?
This Girl : kya hai? jaldi aao na!
This Girl : Tum bhi na. Hehehehe.

Then she asked me to sit and wait for this guy to come. Mr.xyz comes after 15 minutes. Tells me all the costs, no offers except for the free insurance offer which is standard in all tata showrooms.

I try to tell him a few things that almost all other showrooms offered me like zero Road tax and a free music system. He simply tells me sir main nahi de paunga and walks off while I am still sitting there!! I say to myself, think again about buying a TATA if that's the way they treat you!!

Anyways, I finally chose a Noida Dealer for they were professional and treated me like a customer who they would be interested in selling a car to.

Now, here comes the main part. I do the talking, negotiating and the dealing post which the guy offered me a new 2.2 LX DICOR VTT versus a 2008 test drive vehicle which is a TOP MODEL (4x4/DVD/airbags/13000Kms done) for the same price.

The offer Looks meaty but I am in dual minds. From what I know the latest 2.2 LX DICOR VTT was launced mid this year and one one they are offering(used) is the 3 litre engine from 2008 (sparkling clean/milky white colour).

Which one should I go for? Please help me figure out!!

Thanks

Avoid the Test vehicle if you can.Being said that i had bought a 2008 december model in 2009 september.It was not a test vehicle but now @4000 kms no major issues apart from a door lock failure which was there from day one.You could look out for previous year model for better bargain.Bargain well and you can easily manage good discounts even for a new Safari.Tell them that you are not interested in free insurance offer.Ask them to give it as cash discount.Apart from that try for corporate discounts and dealer discount.Do not show hurry.Persist and also consider taking a quote from another showroom in Noida, Delhi or Gurgaon.Now haggle between the dealers and make them compete against each other.These are a few suggestions i can give.

Generally, I would stay away from Engines that were made only in limited numbers and discontinued. I am sure a particular person on this Forum will claim that the 3.0 Liter DICOR is the best thing since sliced bread. You may get it cheaper, however, you will also take a corresponding hit on the resale. The latest 2.2 VVTI has many upgrades that are worth giving up on the cost saving and jumping for a new vehicle.

The 3.0 Liter DICOR was a stop gap arrangement due to the delays in the 2.2 VVTI. It was made only for about two/three years. It is essentially a CRDi version of the low revving 3.0 liter DI engine in the 407/207 DI/Sumo DI.

Just my opinion....

Hey, If you are planning to buy it in the coming weeks, wait up. I'm planning to visit some dealers on Sunday. If we buy 2, we might get better discounts.
What say?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexnazim (Post 1534648)
Hey Everyone,

Well, when I was finally set to reclaim my life, I figured that I would be able to afford the LX 4x2 DICOR VTT.
|
|
|

Which one should I go for? Please help me figure out!!

Thanks

@alexnazim,
As mentioned by ItMyLife, we'll be checking out the dealers on Sunday. Why don't we meet up at some place and head off together to do it? I understand you may have checked out most, but I guess another attempt wouldn't hurt. We stand to gain too, of course. Please let us know if it's OK with you.
Also, I suggest you avoid getting a test vehicle/any vehicle that has had some kilometers to it. If the Safari was owned by a 'show-off' ( no way to verify), you very well know what you would be getting. Moreso, the 2.2 VTT has had many retrofits done on it, which IMHO make it a better deal considering engine reliability and refinedness.

@Alex, there is going to be one near unanimous response to your question : AVOID the TD car.

If possible, go for a new 4x4. Else, the topmost 4x2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItMyLife (Post 1534846)
Hey, If you are planning to buy it in the coming weeks, wait up. I'm planning to visit some dealers on Sunday. If we buy 2, we might get better discounts.
What say?

Sure! But the thing is I have paid the booking amount already. The best dealer and deal I found was Sterling, Noida. They offered the best deal, 24 hours on road support, free home pick up/delivery for service and a customer friendly attitude.

I am waiting for my finance deal to be approved, so this week will be taken away by that. Their sales guy is coming to my place to close the final deal and pick up some docs. I will check the deal with him on 2 cars including your red EX 4x4.

They have a 15 day wait but the car will be dropped from the plant (in Gujrat or somewhere) to the showroom for pdi and then to your place.(but it is recommended that you drive the car home from the showroom).

Here's something you should know:

To make sure you get the very latest model, you show have indicators on side rear view mirrors and fabric (not plastic) on the inside of doors (where you have the lever to open the door.

Turn Down:

The dashboard/windshied wiper base and inside door handle plastic quality is extremely poor with no finish at all (very dis-heartning).

Recommendation:

Insist any electricals be installed by the dealer since the TATA warranty is very sensitive and gets void. I'll be buying an LX so Fog lamps/Rear A/c vent/reverse parking sensors,body colored bumpers/teflon coating and Music system applicable here (all these costing me 50K(music system is free!)

The deal I am getting is:

Free Gear Lock.
Free Insurance.
Free Road Tax.
Free Mats.
Free Music System (basic without USB and front door speakers)(I'll ask them to put in a USB system and I'll pay for speakers).
6K corporate discount.
Will negotiate on free extended warranty once he comes over today.

Let me know if you get a better deal and will ask them to put it in here. My booking amount is refundable since the only reason I paid that for was to block the Black Safari available for delivery the moment my finance is approved. They also have an Arctic white.

You do your bit of research and pm me once back.

Thanks everyone, a new LX it is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 1535270)

If possible, go for a new 4x4. Else, the topmost 4x2.

Would love to but my pockets ain't that deep including the finance part!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItMyLife (Post 1534846)
What say?

UPDATE: Spoke with the guy regarding buying two cars, he said he'll check with the GM on the final deal and get back to me by Monday or Tuesday.

He said that you would have to book the car by paying some cash since the Red 4x4 will be a straight from factory delivery and which would mean that you'll have to wait for 15 days after booking to get the delivery of your car.

PM me if you are interested!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexnazim (Post 1537131)
Recommendation:

Insist any electricals be installed by the dealer since the TATA warranty is very sensitive and gets void. I'll be buying an LX so Fog lamps/Rear A/c vent/reverse parking sensors,body colored bumpers/teflon coating and Music system applicable here (all these costing me 50K(music system is free!)

I'm a bit confused. Can you give the split up price of these.
1: Fog lamps
2: Rear A/c (LX comes with one condenser, so if you are getting a rear a/c ensure you are not only getting a blower, but also additional condenser (as in the case of EX and above))
3: Reverse sensors (How many sensors?)
4: Body Colored bumpers?
5: Teflon Coating?
6: Music System (model and price)

I find 50k on the higher side. May be I'm wrong. Would like to know the split up to advise.

Cheers

Congrats Alexnazim for booking your Safari.I too booked mine(Safari LX) a couple of days back at Kolkata and my experience with the TML showrooms were similar except for one,through whom i have booked my car.

Please note it is always better to go for a brand new car.Even i had an option to go for a 2008 model Safari at an additional discount of 35k but it had 400kms on the odo.Odometers can be very easily rolled back.

I managed to garner a discount of 42K on the On road price of the car without any freebies. Try to garner as much cash discount as possible and used the saved money to buy accessories of your choice.If you insist on free accessories from the dealer you may end up having accessories of bad quality.

Cheers!!!!
Shantanu

Avoid discontinued engines- irrespective of how good they may/may not be.

Quote:

alexnazim : Would love to but my pockets ain't that deep including the finance part!!
alexnazim : Thanks everyone, a new LX it is!
@Alex, Congrats !

The idea was to wean you away from the TD 4x4, and go for the best you can. Here's wishing you a long trouble-free experiece with your Safari. Remember to do the PDI well before taking delivery. You can also use the same list to do a pre-registration check, just to make sure before registration is done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItMyLife (Post 1537978)
I'm a bit confused. Can you give the split up price of these.

I find 50k on the higher side. May be I'm wrong. Would like to know the split up to advise.

Cheers

Price Quoted:

1: Fog lamps - fitted and balanced - 5K
2: Rear A/c - It has condensors - 19K
3: Reverse sensors - 4 sensors - 2600/- (The original Safari type in the rear view mirror)
4: Body Colored bumpers? - 19K
5: Teflon Coating - 7K
6.Music System - Probably an Xplod (normal FM/MP3/CD) - Free (Will be paying extra to upgrade to a USB)
7. Mats and Mud Flaps - Free
8. Gear Lock - Free
7. Insurance and Road tax - Free

Comes to around 50k+ but:

FINAL PRICE after NEGOTIATION - 42.6K for all of the above.

Honestly I too find this price still high but don't want to risk voiding warranty by any external parties touching the electricals.

I have heard stories of new engines replaced under warranty from TATA!

P.S.: @Rideon: Will call you today once in office!

Wondering!! How come you guys getting insurance + Road Tax free??
Bangy guys! Can you confirm if any dealer in Bangalore can afford this?

Regarding the accessories and other stuff, I would like to suggest that prioritize the perf stuff. Get the better alloys and shoes for your SUV if you can (by saving on some cosmetic stuff).

Now, I have the same question that I asked on another thread. Can I approch some TATA folks and request them to customize an LX with 4WD for me? I dont want to pay for all cosmetics that they are pusing along with 4WD in EX.
I understand that adding diff locsk / 4WD aftermarket (even by TASC) is not possible, can someone confirm on this?