Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:10   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Tata Safari 4x4 has auto Electric Free Wheeling hubs. They lock when 4x4 is engage and you need to drive it in reverse for a few feet to dis-engage.
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Wow Happywheels, I couldnt find my own thread. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
One bit of advice. Even if you don't need to use your vehicle in 4wd, do it atleast once a week, to keep your electronic motor from getting stuck!
I fully disagree buddy. This is more apprehension than anything else and I speak from experience. its an electronic motor for Gods sake and not a grinding mill or something of 2 iron plates that will rust and get stuck. Hey no offence to you or your views though.
Old 25th October 2009, 21:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hooked and finally booked!!

Guys,

I finally took the plunge and booked a Cycus Grey EX 4x4 today :-) Delivery date is two weeks hence.
Old 25th October 2009, 21:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congrats cool_dube!

Wishing you a smooth vehicle delivery experience.
Old 25th October 2009, 22:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dude.
Dont forget to do a TBHP PDI before registration of your new ride.
One more to the 4x4 club.
Old 25th October 2009, 22:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Many excellent advice already. I would like to add just one more for the PDI. Do check you have 4x4 decals on both sides. Mine arrived without these. What is the point of 1l extra when you can't display. Off-course, TML couriered them promptly and I have stuck them in such a way that my black magic woman looks unique. She has a old gen "Safari" cover at the rear and 4x4 etched at "wrong" places
Cheers,
-BJ
Old 25th October 2009, 22:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Rahul,

wish you a better dealer/delivery experience. Could you please provide more information about what dealer, how good the deal and stuff like that?

with 4WD its going to be alloys and I guess its 6.5J rims, is it possible if you can ask them to give you 7J with upsized tyres on it?
Old 25th October 2009, 23:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
... with 4WD its going to be alloys and I guess its 6.5J rims, is it possible if you can ask them to give you 7J with upsized tyres on it?
Ketan,

Why is that you are always trying to get the impossible done?
Old 25th October 2009, 23:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think thats a good thing to give it a try! Dont you think Tata can do that? In your case, if you could do that buy-back with Tata rather than someone in market, you could have got a better deal. isnt it!!!

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention about the rim size! If I remember it correct its 6.5J is stock, do you guys think we cannot upsize it to R17 with 7J? pardon my lack of technical knowledge, but I believe its a good upsize and better to do that at the time of purchase if you can!

Last edited by Ketan : 25th October 2009 at 23:22.
Old 25th October 2009, 23:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wishes guys! I have also instructed the sales guy to ensure that the vehicle is not more than a month old as he told me that a Cycus Grey EX 4x4 is already available in the TLM plant and is waiting to be dispatched.

Quote:
If I remember it correct its 6.5J is stock, do you guys think we cannot upsize it to R17 with 7J? pardon my lack of technical knowledge, but I believe its a good upsize and better to do that at the time of purchase if you can!
Ketan: I usually prefer to keep a vehicle stock, especially when it comes to critical components like wheels/tyres. You never know how an upsize might impact the stability/handling/any other characteristic of the vehicle.
Old 25th October 2009, 23:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Congrats dude.
Dont forget to do a TBHP PDI before registration of your new ride.
One more to the 4x4 club.
Thanks jaysmokesleaves. Actually am not new to the 4x4 club as I have been off-roading for the last 5 years on my Classic

Also, I will make it a point to take along the checklist. Infact, I have already told the sales guy that I'd be doing a mini-PDI of my own before the vehicles goes for registration. He was slightly taken aback but did not contend.
Old 25th October 2009, 23:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Rahul,

wish you a better dealer/delivery experience. Could you please provide more information about what dealer, how good the deal and stuff like that?

with 4WD its going to be alloys and I guess its 6.5J rims, is it possible if you can ask them to give you 7J with upsized tyres on it?
Thanks Ketan! I booked with Concorde Motors - Dairy Circle. Deal is the same as I mentioned earlier on this thread - I have never been good at bargaining and hence gave in without much haggling, in turn hoping to get a good delivery experience.
Old 26th October 2009, 10:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think thats a good thing to give it a try! Dont you think Tata can do that? In your case, if you could do that buy-back with Tata rather than someone in market, you could have got a better deal. isnt it!!! ...
TATA would never do that due to the following reasons:

1. They are not a wheel rim shop to resell the stock rims and tires. They are more interested in clearing their store room stocks which are fresh pieces. The time and effort (in terms of negotiating et la) for a non-fresh stock is just not what they do.

2. They will shoot themselves on their foot if they do an upsize (warranty issues)

Quote:
...Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention about the rim size! If I remember it correct its 6.5J is stock, do you guys think we cannot upsize it to R17 with 7J? pardon my lack of technical knowledge, but I believe its a good upsize and better to do that at the time of purchase if you can!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
...Ketan: I usually prefer to keep a vehicle stock, especially when it comes to critical components like wheels/tyres. You never know how an upsize might impact the stability/handling/any other characteristic of the vehicle...
Ketan,

I am with Cool_dube on this one. If you search across, you will find the people have upsized. Most of the time, what has happened is that the well had to be reshaped / cut to allow the tires to turn completely.

I find this not necessary; also add the issue of how the vehicle will take the issue of an non-stock tire size. And since we are talking of 4x4, I will be even more careful here.

Strongly suggest you do not try this, but that is just me.

Quote:
Thanks for the wishes guys! I have also instructed the sales guy to ensure that the vehicle is not more than a month old as he told me that a Cycus Grey EX 4x4 is already available in the TLM plant and is waiting to be dispatched...
Cool_dube,

Get hold of the VIN number ASAP. If the vehicle is present in plant, they should have the VIN number, more so, when the vehicle has been tagged to a particular dealer. Any that you hear contrary to this, take out your guns!

Quote:
Thanks jaysmokesleaves. Actually am not new to the 4x4 club as I have been off-roading for the last 5 years on my Classic...
Ah great!

Quote:
...Also, I will make it a point to take along the checklist. Infact, I have already told the sales guy that I'd be doing a mini-PDI of my own before the vehicles goes for registration. He was slightly taken aback but did not contend...
I reckon these people are getting used to the idea of buyers doing their own PDI before registration.

Quote:
Thanks Ketan! I booked with Concorde Motors - Dairy Circle. Deal is the same as I mentioned earlier on this thread - I have never been good at bargaining and hence gave in without much haggling, in turn hoping to get a good delivery experience.
Hope you have a good delivery experience, but do ensure that you do not get carried away with the exitement at that time. I would suggest that you make a note of things to check and do when taking delivery.
Old 26th October 2009, 10:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Cool_dube,

Get hold of the VIN number ASAP. If the vehicle is present in plant, they should have the VIN number, more so, when the vehicle has been tagged to a particular dealer. Any that you hear contrary to this, take out your guns!
Yep! He has promised to share the VIN number before end of day today. Could one of you guys please decode it for me once I have it?
Old 26th October 2009, 11:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

"So you know what a VIN no. is?"

Concorde just called me - "Sir, I am afraid we cannot provide you with the VIN no. till the vehicle is dispatched. But we assure you that the vehicle is a new one."

Me: "I am fine but if it turns out that the vehicle is an old one, I will not accept it and you will have to get me a new one"

Concorde: "Sir, please talk to Mr. XYZ from Tata Motors for details"

I call Mr. XYZ

Mr. XYZ: "Sir, may I know why are you so particular about getting a not-so-old vehicle?"

Me: <Some gyan>

Mr. XYZ: "It is good to have well informed customers. I will provide the month and year of manufacture of the vehicle to you soon sir".

Me: "Can I also get the VIN no. please?"

Mr. XYZ: "May I know why sir?"

Me: "Because that would tell me without doubt the month and year of manufacture of the vehicle"

Mr. XYZ: "Ohhhh... you know that as well??"

Me: "Yes, I do"

Mr. XYZ: "Sure sir... I will provide the VIN no. later today"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks