Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 11:49   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Check your AC mechanism in-n-out. Run the blowers on max speed, check for vent leakages etc.
Sure, will do so once the dealer is through with his PDI.

Quote:
All the best and congrats in advance... lets jam together on NH4 sometime
Yes, let's but I'd prefer NH17 over NH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaduri View Post
Lucky cool_dube to have Safari expert Devdath accompany him for the PDI of his car.
Thanks to TBHP for bringing all of us together and thanks to LukeSkyWalker for the suggestion.

Quote:
any other tips to check the complete vehicle viz. missing rubber parts etc. which may be inherent with the Safari.
I would say the most important things to check would be - rust on body panels (do not bother with minor 'oxidation' on cast iron pieces). If possible, drive around and check for any signs of unusual engine sounds, etc.

Quote:
TML does include a DiCOR engine, a gearbox, a clutch, an accelerator and a brake pedal with each of their safari and off-course an inlet for diesel. Not to forget, they do include four wheels grounded and one spare bolted on the tail door. They give a pair of keys too, to put all these things together in motion... what else technical is there to check? Please enlighten The moment you succumbed to Safari's charm, you have overlooked her blemishes. Now don't punish yourself with the thoughts of something missing on her- enjoy, she is known to be capable and more faithful or at least as faithful as any other car on road. You will love her!
I totally agree!!! But I can relate to Shantanu's apprehensions after having gone through that ordeal last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
And, important - after a wash, check the headlights. The fogging up of headlights is a inherent issue. Not a concern since they replace it under warranty,but, if you spot it first itself, get it changed. Check for all warranty cards. Check for the spares. Check for grease in the interiors.
Thanks HappyWheels. Have made a note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Hope that you get to do at least 50% of the checks that you might have planned. As mentioned by BJ69 above, there are high chances of you just go drooling and miss out. Happens to everyone.
I sure hope so. However, I am more relaxed now as Dev did most of the hard work for me
@DEV - Thanks. Will catch up soon.

Last edited by bblost : 20th November 2009 at 13:01. Reason: Mention of alcohol strictly prohibited. Please refer rules before proceeding. Thanks.
Old 6th November 2009, 12:09   #92
BANNED

Quote:

@Devdath : Can you please pass on some tips to me as well i am expecting my Safari in the next 4-5 days at Kolkata.Viz. ECU cover where is it in the engine bay????any other tips to check the complete vehicle viz. missing rubber parts etc. which may be inherent with the Safari.
Please let me know the version and variant of your Safari and I will send you whatever I would look into. Congrats on your buy.
Old 6th November 2009, 12:28   #93
BHPian

@bj96: Thanks !! for your suggestion.I wanted to know some inherent and specific niggles that Tata Motors gifts you free of Cost when you are succumbed by their Safari's charm and decide to buy her. Like missing ECU cover, missing rubber grommets,in operative window switches etc. etc.

By technical aspects i meant Engine, clutch,gear box,transmission etc.I know about them and would understand if they behave abnormally.

In your description you missed out on the bodyshell.You have commented to my post during the recent ordeal i had when i went to inspect the alloted Safari to me and found rust all over.I guess you commented your Safari came with just 52kms on odo.Remember mate?? I did not accept the said car and TML has again despatched an OCT. production car for me which is currently on the way from Pune.

Thanks!!! for the wishes.

Shantanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Please let me know the version and variant of your Safari and I will send you whatever I would look into. Congrats on your buy.
Quote:
Seek adc to bless your safari... you will enjoy like his TMT

TML does include a DiCOR engine, a gearbox, a clutch, an accelerator and a brake pedal with each of their safari and off-course an inlet for diesel. Not to forget, they do include four wheels grounded and one spare bolted on the tail door. They give a pair of keys too, to put all these things together in motion... what else technical is there to check? Please enlighten

The moment you succumbed to Safari's charm, you have overlooked her blemishes. Now don't punish yourself with the thoughts of something missing on her- enjoy, she is known to be capable and more faithful or at least as faithful as any other car on road. You will love her!

Congrats and best wishes mate, in advance.

-BJ
Old 6th November 2009, 13:20   #94
BHPian

It is Safari Dicor 2.2 LX 4x2

awaiting your tips!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Old 9th November 2009, 12:14   #95
BANNED

Quote:
It is Safari Dicor 2.2 LX 4x2

awaiting your tips!!!
Since you are confident about the technical aspects of the truck, let me list a few non technical aspects that come to my mind:
1. Outside the vehicle
a. Check for paint finish especially on the roof rails and the places where the third quarter glass fits the body.
b. Check for misaligned bumper where the radiator grill meets the bumper.
c. Check for the small rubber piece between the rear RH tail light and the body.
d. Check for any thermocole lining between the radiator and the consdensor grill/fan.
e. Check for the presence of all the 4 rubber holders for the engine cover.
f. Check for careless paint/grease/lube/dampening solution sprayed under the body/hood.
g. Check for the fuel flap rubber gasket and its mounting
h. Check for all rubber beadings and their proper mounting uniformly.
i. Check for small dents and indentions on the sheet metal by looking at it from such an angle that light flows across the entire sheet and look for undulations in the reflection.
2 Inside the vehicle:
a. Check for the power windows speed while running. They should ideally be equal in terms of speed.
b. Check for roof lining glue especially on the edges.
c. Check for the proper pasting of the biege lining if applicable on the dashboard at the edges.
d. Check for all the rubber bushes on all doors.
e. Check for a/c fan blowing especially on the "feet only mode". This usually gets covered by the matting.
f. Check for visor operation and tightness.
g. Check the number of kms the vehicle has run as per the odo. Should not exceed 55-60 at most from TML to the yard of your local dealer.
h. Check for all seat adjustment levers and their working.
i. Check for middle row folding operation and correctness.
j. Check for all seat belts functioning.

These are a few non technical points that I would check while doing the PDI. Hope it helps.
Old 10th November 2009, 10:51   #96
BHPian

@ n.devdath : Thanks !!!! for your tips. Most probably i would get to inspect my car tomorrow.Will keep you updated.

Shantanu
Old 10th November 2009, 13:54   #97
Senior - BHPian

Hope @Dev will be in Bangalore itself as a Safari Expert and helping new guys like me when we plan to buy a New BEAST. I know there are lots of Safari Experts in Bangalore, but since i am reading this thread and know how @Dev has helped made me to tell this.
Old 10th November 2009, 14:46   #98
BHPian

Cool Dude, what is happening? Did the registration take place? Have you taken delivery?
Old 10th November 2009, 14:48   #99
Senior - BHPian

Cool Dude, please give us the Initial report of your ownership. Has the registration been done. No photos/report status report
Old 12th November 2009, 00:13   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Cool Dude, what is happening? Did the registration take place? Have you taken delivery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Cool Dude, please give us the Initial report of your ownership. Has the registration been done. No photos/report status report
Guys - sorry about being dormant for a couple of days. Was busy as hell at work. Well, the beast is ready for delivery and I am finally picking it up tomorrow Will post up the fresh batch of pics soon.
Old 12th November 2009, 00:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ n.devdath : Thanks !!!! for your tips. Most probably i would get to inspect my car tomorrow.Will keep you updated.Shantanu
Shantanu - did you get to see your Safari today?
Old 12th November 2009, 11:43   #102
BHPian

@Cool_dube: you have not taken delivery yet??? Not fair to make the beast wait to go home so long.

Yes i checked mine yesterday at the dealer yard and found everything to be in order.atleast there is no rust and no parts missing.Guess they have taken my mail seriously and did a good PDI at plant before despatch to the dealer.Also got the apology letter from TML Kolkata office.car gone for Registration today and delivery also today evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Old 12th November 2009, 13:25   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Cool_dube: you have not taken delivery yet??? Not fair to make the beast wait to go home so long.

Yes i checked mine yesterday at the dealer yard and found everything to be in order.atleast there is no rust and no parts missing.Guess they have taken my mail seriously and did a good PDI at plant before despatch to the dealer.Also got the apology letter from TML Kolkata office.car gone for Registration today and delivery also today evening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
what is happening guys("Cool dude" and "sbhaduri"). You people have bought the beast and still no photos or initial driving expereince or anything. Only statement we can see. Post some pics.
Old 12th November 2009, 13:50   #104
Team-BHP Support

guys, when you get your vehicles, please start a new thread in Test Drives and Initial ownership reports section
Old 12th November 2009, 14:30   #105
BHPian

Yes Sir! will do so after i take delivery today evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
guys, when you get your vehicles, please start a new thread in Test Drives and Initial ownership reports section

Most Viewed