Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 19:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari DICOR VTT 4WD owners - feedback required

Guys,

I am on the verge of booking an EX but unable to decide b/w the 4x2 and 4x4. I do not intend to use the beast for recreational offroading (I would prefer my Jeep anyday for that) but would be driving around in environs where a 4x4 might come in handy and get me out of difficult situations once in a while. To be able to make the decision, I would solicit the following feedback from all Safari VTT 4WD owners:

a. What are the significant impacts (compared to a 2WD) of the extra 130 odd kilos - fuel effeciency, handling, top speed, etc.

b. Does the Safari 4x4 come with free wheeling hubs? If yes, how easy are they to engage/dis-engage?

c. How is the 4WD gearbox on the DICOR in terms of maintenance (other than the regular transmission oil changes)? Any known issues?

Any additional info is welcome.

Thanks,
Rahul
Old 22nd October 2009, 20:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

a. Fuel efficiency comes down ~1kmpl. I get anywhere between 12kmpl to 15kmpl, based on how bad or good I am with the pedal. Apart from the mileage, no other difference in terms of handling or top speed or anything.

b. 4WD switch is similar to your headlight leveler switch! A flip from 2WD to 4WD. You can switch to 4WD-High on the run (<60kmph, I think) and for 4WD-L, you need to stop completely. The 4WD engage is controlled by the ECU.

c. No issues noted on the 4WD gearbox on the 2.2 so far. Just do the regular maintenance.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 22nd October 2009 at 21:01.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2009, 21:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
a. You can switch to 4WD-High on the run (<60kmph, I think) and for 4WD-L, you need to stop completely. The 4WD engage is controlled by the ECU.
Just out of curiousity, what is shift on the fly?
Old 22nd October 2009, 21:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

I remember going thru this conversations on Gurkha threads. That means you will be able to shift to 4WD-H mode while vehicle is running (fairly low speed recommended I guess) - and 4WD-L mode, your wheels have to come to stand still position before you switch to this mode (not sure, do you have to bring it to neutral or something!)
Old 22nd October 2009, 21:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Spot on, Ketan.

Shift on the fly is the ability to engage the 4WD when in motion; and only 4H can be engaged and you need to be below the threshold speed.

For 4L, you will need to stop and the clutch has to be engaged, for activating. Meaning, you stop, engage clutch, and then shift the knob from 4H to 4L.

EDIT: And yes, as the 4WD engagement is controlled by the ECU, so it checks for the conditions to match before engaging; a fail safe method. But, this is one method I do not want to test!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 22nd October 2009 at 21:41.
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi, mine is a Safari 2.2 VTT ex 4x4.

An suv the size of a Safari is always best with 4wd, even if you have to use 4wd 0.5% of the time. At times when you get stuck in a ditch or in a muddy pothole & your wheel spins and its raining or you cannot find anyone to push you out, or when you go to that hillstation and decide to go a little closer to that spot off the road and save you of that long walk, thats when you will appreciate 4wd the most, even if you do not consider going offroading.

Fuel efficiency; the best I have achieved with a nimble foot is 13kpl & with throttle happy driving the worst ive got is 8.8-9kpl. Regular usage gives me 11kpl comfortably.

I dont know about free wheeling hubs, but the hubs in the Safari auto engage when you select 4wd and to disengage after you deselect 4wd you have to drive in the opp direction for 2-3 meters.

There are no known issues with the gearbox even in 4wd mode. I have selected 4h at 50kph without a sound or a whimper. Its very reliable. I have done 35k+ kms yet in 18 months of ownership in which the vehicle has seen a lot of offroad driving, specific offroading and offbeat roads including highways & city use.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 22nd October 2009 at 22:21.
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
... An suv the size of a Safari is always best with 4wd, even if you have to use 4wd 0.5% of the time...
True! It is those 0.5% of the time when you really really regret not going for that extra power!

And for those who have that power, it are those 0.5% when you really really feel proud of your decision to go for it!
Old 22nd October 2009, 23:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks HappyWheels and jaysmokesleaves for your feedback. I would be bookinig the 4x4 in Cycus Grey tomorrow.

HappyWheels - I know yours is a red/real-earth GX.

jaysmokesleaves - which color is your EX? Any pics?
Old 23rd October 2009, 00:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Rahul,

Please share your booking / dealer experience, the deal you get and some more tips, I'm in the process and shall be going for EX-4WD in sometime.
Thanks.
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
...jaysmokesleaves - which color is your EX? Any pics?
Light Gold.

More @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sure-pain.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Rahul,

Please share your booking / dealer experience, the deal you get and some more tips, I'm in the process and shall be going for EX-4WD in sometime.
Thanks.
+1 to that! With 2 orders both of you stand to gain more.
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

One bit of advice. Even if you don't need to use your vehicle in 4wd, do it atleast once a week, to keep your electronic motor from getting stuck!
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:50   #12
BHPian

Hey, just an offbeat question - why are you booking your safari now instead of wating till march, as they plan to launch an all new version of the same. check out this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...g-20-a-35.html

Cheers!
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

I initially thought to wait for it, but this is what I read in that link.

"
He added that the Indicruz, the crossover between sedan and SUV, will be launched in 2010. Officials said it will be on a new SUV platform and be pitched against the Honda CR-V."

I dont think its going be a better Safari, it seems its going to completely different segment! They are comparing it with CRV or something lower than that..

Are we going to get more discounts if we wait until the launch of Indicruz!! that can be an interesting question!
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Hey, just an offbeat question - why are you booking your safari now instead of wating till march, as they plan to launch an all new version of the same.
Reason 1: My thumb rule is to never buy a vehicle within the first year of its launch. Newly introduced vehicles gets refined over a period of time based on feedback from/issues faced by customers. Being two years into the market, Safari 2.2 is a fairly mature (and hopefully refined) vehicle by now with most of the initial niggling issues taken care of.

Reason 2: From what I understand, this is not going to be a replacement for Safari but as Ketan mentioned, an altogether different segment. As for the feasibility of getting additional discounts once this is launched, I cannot wait that long (another 6 months) to get my hands on a DICOR
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Rahul, Please share your booking / dealer experience, the deal you get and some more tips, I'm in the process and shall be going for EX-4WD in sometime.
Thanks.
Sure Ketan - I am in discussions with Concorde and most probably will go with them. I find Prerana sales very laid-back and sluggish compared to Concorde sales. Also, from what I read on this forum, Concorde service is far superior in technical expertise than Prerana. I usually prefer to get a vehicle serviced from the same dealer that I bought it from.

As of now, Concorde seems to be giving me the usual insurance waiver, some 5K corporate discount and the regular freebies (mats, flaps, sun-film, etc). Truly speaking, I am not very good at bargaining so might end up closing the deal on these terms!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks