Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 22:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Throw in a totally different route.
When is the Yeti being launched?
I know its a Skoda, but still may be its worth a wait and pricing may be good?

PS: Hoping for too much?
They may sell it at a good price, but what is the right price for your peace(peace of mind)..? Certainly not ANY SKODA.
Old 26th October 2009, 23:17   #32
BHPian

i think you should take the GV for a test spin and if you like it bargain really hard for it. Don't see any reason why the price wont come down as its not really a sellers market product.
i think its road presence is worth the money if you are okay with the petrol part. and being a cbu, 25k on the odo makes it practically new.
Old 26th October 2009, 23:27   #33
BHPian

@ Colombus - If I may add to the confusion, have you considered the Tata Xenon. Would fit into your budget and give you that 4x4 option with the go anywhere capability. With a bit of stretch you might be able to retain the City & Estilo as well.
Old 27th October 2009, 00:17   #34
BHPian

I would definitely suggest you the GV. I drove the 2.5V6 XLX (4X4) US version for 5 years and it's definitely a very dependable vehicle. I drove it upto 1,40,000 Miles (2.25 Lacs KM) and sold, without any major problem ever.

Posting 2 pic of myself with my Grand Vitara from 2003 to inspire you.
The ride was small in size but was sporting a 2.5 V6. (Guys don't look at the Cadillac in the back in the second picture ).

The newer Indian GV is the improved XL7 model, which does not have that much power but much more comfy and able when it comes to tackling Indian roads and no-roads.

Need help on SUV purchase-pic-156.jpg

Need help on SUV purchase-pic-025.jpg

Best regards and good hunting.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hey columbus, this thread should make a compelling case for a GV.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...rm-report.html
Old 28th October 2009, 00:52   #36
BHPian

Columbus just a piece of information, thought might be of use to you.

I just came back from Binsar last month. Went there in an Innova.

And baught a Safari after returning from Binsar.

If money is not a contraint don't settle for anything short of a Hummer, else Safari is decent option.
Old 5th November 2009, 20:00   #37
BHPian

I have seen a 2004 M&M Marshall, 80,000 km, 4 sp, 4dr, hard top, in good condition (needs upholstery to be cleaned or refinished), no damages, drives well (I drove it on the IIT KGP campus today).

It would be the perfect vehicle for my Nattu (German Shepard) in Hyderabad, since I go there at least 5 times a year, I need a car in Hyd, and this would be perfect to put Nattu in the back and take him out of the city for a good run every so often. Also, as my parents have 2 other dogs, if they "rent" a driver, the dogs can be taken for a "professional dog grooming" service since my parents are too old to do that themselves. My Dad would go with them on the trip, but, he won't drive.

What should be the price? The person selling is the lawyer for our IIT council !! He has told me that it is mine, and I can name the price - he will use the money to buy another vehicle - his family wants him to sell this Jeep.

I did a search on Carwale and found that the same specs Bolero would be Rs 3L. I am thinking of offering Rs 1.5-Rs 1.75L. Please advice.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 5th November 2009, 21:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I see at least 3-4 potential Safari owners around. Have you guys read the full 'LongTermOwnershioReports'? I have not. I'm going to seek some more information before I take decission.
I have read that Safari just starts showing the age at around 60K KMs and may fall around before 1L KMs.
I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep it but what if it looses its reliability after 60K, thats definitely not something that I'm looking for!!

Can someone quick comment (I'll go LTOR for more information though) on this and confirm!!
I guess Dicor 3.0L guys can do that more.. However, I would like to hear this from the 2.2L folks as well.
If I really dont see a value, I may go Gurkha route. Although I dont do hardcore offroading, I know for sure that this vehicle is going to last 3L reliably. I'll certainly miss those worldly features in the vehicle and those horses under 2.2L.
FYI I just had been to a remote place in Gujarat a month back, and travelled around 240 kms to and from the airport in two old safaris, each having clocked over 300000 kms - and all of it was driven by different drivers ... There was hardly a rattle, but the only thing was that you could not set the direction of the ac vent between the front seats as it had become quite loose. Apart from that, the roof ac blower, the ride, everything was just quite perfect, and I was surprised myself to see such aged Safaris and on talking to the driver, he was saying that he always has driven a Safari, and would consider no other car better even in terms of maintenance.

So rest assured abt the Safari falling off after a paltry 60000 kms, the only thing that is making me wait for the new safari is the hope that they put ACC into the new one.... lets see
Old 5th November 2009, 22:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Safari

If you want 4X4 coupled with decent on-road experience in a budget (like I am tempted to sometimes) a safari is the best bet.

Travelling in a Safari is like sitting in your armchair, great creature comforts. It has a go-anywhere capability. Tata has a presence in the remotest parts of the country. It runs on Diesel which is available everywhere, petrol (unadulterated) might be hard to find in far flung areas.

A Scorpio or Bolero have all the advantages of the Safari except the creature comfort dept. They have a definite edge off the road but, Safari is a better highway cruiser.

Cheers,
Old 6th November 2009, 11:24   #40
BHPian

Safari in my opinion is best suited for your needs. I bought one last tuesday and I go early to work and wait all day (9 hrs) wondering when it will 5 pm and I get to drive it again. It cruises and best part, ppl give respect on the road. I have seen heads turn, though I'm not sure if they look at the beast or the dust cover on it (Vehicle parked in open parking on muddy grounds).

Cheers
Old 6th November 2009, 11:58   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
The newer Indian GV is the improved XL7 model, which does not have that much power but much more comfy and able when it comes to tackling Indian roads and no-roads.
The Indian GV is not the XL7 model, the XL7 model is not available in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
I have seen a 2004 M&M Marshall, 80,000 km, 4 sp, 4dr, hard top, in good condition (needs upholstery to be cleaned or refinished), no damages, drives well (I drove it on the IIT KGP campus today).

I did a search on Carwale and found that the same specs Bolero would be Rs 3L. I am thinking of offering Rs 1.5-Rs 1.75L. Please advice.
The price you are thinking is right, but don't offer 2L or more.
Old 6th November 2009, 12:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
As far as i know this should be the last of the marshals which mahindra made if it is a 2004 model. Then it must have a Di turbo engine and a 5 speed box. Is it a 4wd?

Please check the model year as 2004 seem to be too recent one to have a 4 speed gearbox.
Old 6th November 2009, 17:11   #43
BHPian

This is off the shelf from Cartradeindia.com Maruti Grand Vitara to be Assembled in India | CarTradeIndia.com

Quote:
Maruti Grand Vitara has continuously witnessed falling sales in past few months. Maruti intends to arrest the falling sales figures of its SUV model by bringing its advanced version to India. It currently imports the SUV from its Japanese production facility as a completely built unit which makes the model quite expensive. Now the company is contemplating its options to assemble the model in India itself to offer more features at extremely competitive prices.

"The company is seriously considering bringing in an advanced version of Vitara into India, mainly to arrest the falling sales of the SUV," a source said. Maruti is in talks with auto component manufacturers to supply the parts for the model.

An advanced version of the model will be introduced in 2010 and Maruti will decide upon its assembling plans for Grand Vitara after assessing the sales figures of the new model. Grand Vitara is currently available at Rs. 16.67 – Rs 17.97 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) and comes with 2.4L petrol engine with both manual and automatic transmission.
Now does this mean that the prices might drop?
Old 6th November 2009, 17:12   #44
BHPian

sorry guys...i was out on tour.

meanwhile here is the turn of events..

Talked to the GV guy about the vehicle. It's ODO is currently reading 35K and the asking price has gone up to 10L.... It seems that the guy got some ridiculously low qoutes and fumingly decided that will sell it not less than 10. I politely said that i am in the range of 8-8.5L. If he is willing then give me a call for TD.

Went to local TATA dealer (RMJ motors) for a TD. Enquired about the 4x4 ex version. The onroad price here in Bhopal is 11.03 with extended gaurantee. Asked for TD and the salesman brought the keys of a brand new vehicle standing there. I said don't you have a TD vehicle. He says ..Saar will give you TD in new vehicle. I said if i this vehicle gets accident by me then whose liability it is..?? He sheepishly smiles and says ...Yours saar...!!
I refused to take a TD and got a quote from him for 4x4 ex. The only discount was 20K + 3K corporate. The salesman did not even bother to take my number.
Decided to check out the other dealer (Mechmen motors). Same story no TD vehicle. However the discount offered was much better (40K).

We have a couple of 4x2 ex in my work place. A guy was kind enough to give me a TD on his August delivered vehicle.
Well despite its size it moved spiritedly. And the power delivery seemed quite linear. I suppose the new ECU software upgrade responsible for it. Felt the turbo kicking in at around 1300-1400 rpm. The ride was very comfy over bad roads. However the steering felt a bit vague. But the biggest letdown was the gear shift. Having been used to silky smooth positive short throw of the NHC, this one felt like rotating a stick in a mush porridge box..!
Though over all i felt that i can handle this vehicle however i am sure GV would have been much better in terms of handling.

Will also try the scorp in a day or two.

However the big question is should i wait for what is coming in 2010. Or wait for new year around for better discounts to come. Or buy it in 2010. And the colour is final....no points in guessing... Cycus Grey..!!
Old 7th November 2009, 17:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
Columbus just a piece of information, thought might be of use to you.

I just came back from Binsar last month. Went there in an Innova.

And baught a Safari after returning from Binsar.

If money is not a contraint don't settle for anything short of a Hummer, else Safari is decent option.
The road upto Almora is excellent. And from Almora binsar is hardly 30 kms. Is the last 30 kms that bad..?? The drive of 11 km from forest check post to KMVN Binsar is said to be very scenic. Anyways dropped the plan for Binsar as wife and kid want to chill out and not freeze out...
so heading for Konkan beaches of Tarkarli/Devbag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks