Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 09:25   #16
BHPian

@Sterlingjames & Kewlferrari- same here. I had been dreaming of Safari since long- in fact to be honest, I joined TBHP when new safari ( VTT) was rumored and tbhp was the best source to keep up. I had visited Concorde , Mumbai with one of my friends. I wanted a Safari & he a fiat palio. It took us three visits and umpteen calls. No one was bothered. Unfortunately, we were stuck with the dealer due to special discount they offered to the company we were working for ( One of the Tata group companies) so we had no choice. Due to their indifferent approach - I decided to forego the benefit I was getting through them and then approached another dealer. Same experience and they were least interested in financing the car ( to be registered in company's name). Finally, dropped the idea.

On the other hand, what couldnt be done in 3 months with Tata dealership, was done in 7 days at a Mahindra dealership and I picked up a Scorpio. My friend of course approached Bombay house colleagues and got the issues sorted out - finally, in around 3 months time he was delivered a Palio - which was resent to workshop after a day of delivery for lot of PDI related works- loose fittings, dirty interiors etc. and another 4 days for fitting a stereo ( offered free).

Later I picked up a used Safari 2.2 VX 4X4 from another Tata dealer- used because, I needed a car then and there that day- only thing that could be picked up on the spot. Happy that I finally owned a Safari that I dreamt of but by then I was already used to a Scorpio - and am waiting for another one. Suggest try a Scorpio - though it may not offer the same appeal and feel as that of a safari but its surely very practical and offer great VFM.

Servicing in Tata workshop is also not going to be an easy / good experience. I have gone thru this for an Indica and again for the Safari- its really most humbling experiences that you can get in most of the workshops. Incidentally, I am happy with Hyundai, Mahindra and Skoda A. S. S.
Old 12th November 2009, 09:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

guys here is a person"shatrughna" who has 2 beasts in his compound Scorpio/Safari and plans to have one more. So for any first hand comparision we can look ahead to him
Old 12th November 2009, 10:05   #18
BHPian

I have lost my VLX (stolen) and booked new one- expected in Jan '10. There is so much info already available on the TBHP that I never felt the need to post a comparison apart from the fact that I am not so good at writing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
guys here is a person"shatrughna" who has 2 beasts in his compound Scorpio/Safari and plans to have one more. So for any first hand comparision we can look ahead to him
Old 12th November 2009, 11:00   #19
BHPian

[quote=4x4addict;1578075]@Sterlingjames:
These guys at concorde motors chennai are unadulterated idiots. A while back I called them about a Xenon test drive.

man! you seem to have a guardian angel working overtime for you!
during one of my stints in the middle east, i had a detailed and long test drive of the Xenon(our group was planning to retail it there) we got 2 cars on a trial basis (the export price was 9800 USD-single cab and 10100USD-double cab both 4x2 DSL and with a 3.0L dicor(yes!the sames 407 engine!)). we put it out on the fleet and the choice remarks and reviews from the arab drivers cannot be printed here!
a/c conking out, power steering pump failure,brake booster failure and finally a premature engine seizure gave us an amazing insight into what can happen with a TATA product! the worst part is that these vehicles despite their 'turbo charged power' took their own sweet time to reach the 140kmph mark which a Toyota Hilux,a mitsubishi L200 or even the chinese Great Wall pickup can do in half the time!
if you are so bent on a TATA pickup, the Telcoline is lesser of the two evils and you can give it a try...if they give it to you for free, that is....
the Xenon? dont even go near it...even if it is for free!!
Old 12th November 2009, 14:04   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@stelingjames:

I actually have a Tatamobile 207 double cab to use in the farm. The xenon was meant to be a replacement for that. Now, I am leaning towards the Bolero camper pick up. Not half as refined as the xenon, but the vehicle is very bulletproof with very low maintainence.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

thats one of the main and biggest reason india can never be a big player like china, when it comes to automobiles!

its time to say tata to TATA!
Old 13th November 2009, 13:03   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
thats one of the main and biggest reason india can never be a big player like china, when it comes to automobiles!

its time to say tata to TATA!
+1 to that. Let me pen a few observations that come to my mind. These are a few points which happened to me during my recent PDI of a Safari 2.2EX 4X4 at Concorde Hosur Road.
1. The customer had arrived before me at the yard and was doing a visual PDI of the vehicle. The sales rep seemed in no way interested and was standing coolly in the shade of the security guard cabin.
2. When I asked him to get a gate pass so that we could drive the vehicle, his reply was" Sir, you cannot drive it for PDI".
3. I know quite a few people at Concorde and when I was able to get a gate pass, the vehicle didnt have diesel. They had pumped it to make it run for the 0.5kms probably wearing out the fuel pump.
4. When I asked the sales rep to arrange diesel, his reply was "Sir, I dont have authority to ask for diesel at the yard".

Finally, when I arranged diesel, I told him to stay where he was and did the PDI with the customer.
These are my observations apart from the sales experience the customer might have had. I was able to get the truck out since I know people at all levels at Concorde quite well. Else, the customer, even after paying 10 lacs ( Half the cost of an apartment in Bangalore) would have had to bear with "seeing" his vehicle and going back home.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well that's a sad story maybe you could wait till 2012. No harm. Anyways coming back to the car, I love the Safari a lot. It's imposing ,beautiful and rugged. And the engine is also brilliant. Loads and loads of torque.
I love the pearl white colour too its simple the best white in the indian market and it closely resembles the baloon white from the Lp640
Old 13th November 2009, 13:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
+1 to that. Let me pen a few observations that come to my mind. These are a few points which happened to me during my recent PDI of a Safari 2.2EX 4X4 at Concorde Hosur Road.
............... would have had to bear with "seeing" his vehicle and going back home.
when @Dev is telling this means there is some serious problems. This is beacuse i know @dev has done so many PDI's for many customers. Until this attitude of TM service people changes nothing can happen even if they are releasing new vehicles every year
Old 13th November 2009, 14:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yes I agree with you. There are many people who were put-off only due to TATA A.S.S.
The same bug has been playing a spoil sport for FIAT as well. Earlier many people didn't go for FIAT due to lack of service center, but now people are scared of FIAT being serviced at TATA, reminds them of their past experiences with TATA.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Its not as if every TATA car is a lemon and TASS bad everywhere.
I recall people on the forum like greenhorn, drifter, suman etc. having a good experience with their cars.

Let us not make statements like 'tata to TATA' etc.
I believe they are trying to improve the quality of their products, and some recent launches like Vista and Manza are step in the right direction.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:49   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
when @Dev is telling this means there is some serious problems. This is beacuse i know @dev has done so many PDI's for many customers. Until this attitude of TM service people changes nothing can happen even if they are releasing new vehicles every year
Dont worry too much on a personal front though, in case you are in Blore when you want to buy a TATA vehicle either from Concorde or Prerana, just get in touch with me, I will ensure that your PDI is done to full satisfaction.
In fact, I can do my bit for any TBHPian who wants to buy/service a Safari in Blore because I know the people there.
Old 13th November 2009, 16:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Its not as if every TATA car is a lemon and TASS bad everywhere.
I recall people on the forum like greenhorn, drifter, suman etc. having a good experience with their cars.
Agreed. Tata even agreed to replace the entire engine block for adc !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1579645
Old 14th November 2009, 15:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Dude, no offence, but if you have so many goldfingers and matching gold neckings, you saw the wrong dream. You ought to be dreaming about Landcruiser Prado or something like that. Coz in your perfect dream where you have your goldfingered hand draped on the drivers seat, a Tata wont look good on you, trust me.
And that was one intelligent salesman who figured that you were in the wrong place and told you that this aint a Toyota.

I cant believe that you're going to wait for Christmas in 2012. Reclaim your life before that coz supposedly its the end of the world.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 14th November 2009 at 15:26.
Old 14th November 2009, 16:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjames View Post
well the only problem with mahindra is there are too many of them running around on govt. plates and the kind of grand exclusivity that the Safari exudes is just not there in the Scorpio...

You did it this time sterling.Now wait till you get runover by some scorpio fan from teambhp on the streets of chennai.

Jokes apart I guess it the chennai concorde thats bad.In my case I was given the number of the Concorde bangalore branch supervisor by a friend(a bhpian..devdath who posted his opinion above) and on calling this supervisor took all the pains to direct me to the service station as I was unaware of the location and I got a good service from him.
After a couple of months when I managed to get my safari into a nearby drain all I was left with was this supervisors number.And behold 10 mins after informing him about my condition a Tata 207 tow vehicle was miraculously pulling out my beast out of that drain.

So till now I am a happy Tata customer.

Alternatively when I went to Maruti in M.P. to buy an A-star for my folks I ended up with a very bitter experience.

So conclusively its about a bad apple tainting the reputation of others.
Do not let your safari dream fade away like this.Go ahead ...Reclaim your life.The purchasing hassles are worth the safari relationship
For safari lovers the purchase is done with a mistress(heart) by the side and not the wife(mind).Hope to see you rolling soon on a safari.

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 14th November 2009 at 16:17. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks