Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 12:32   #1
BHPian

What SUV??

I've been driving a Skoda (second hand) for the past 1 year and prior to that i was a hardcore TATA fan (Indica-2001-2005, Indigo-2005-2008). But excessive driving of Skoda has given me a real back pain moreover the maintenance expenses are eating into my pocket.

I have been in love with this beast since the year 1998 (you guys guessed it right it's SAFARI) and have been longing to own it and now's the time. But have been reading extensively the thread initiated by DADU on the Technical glitches commonly faced in Safari's and that makes my mind wonder whether i'm making the right choice or not but the heart always comes around to the same point (Dil to Pagal Hai).

I personally don't like Scorpio (no offenses to the Scorp Fraternity here) and all the other SUV's are way beyond my budget so i am left with only one option or do i go for another Sedan.

I am a diesel head so no petrol for me. In any case i do not want any brand (read that as i want only indian brands) which is not easily repairable on the highways that i travel on and also looking for a vehicle with a decent amount of Ground Clearance.

Damn' am confused. Help me out fellas'

Cheers..
Old 21st November 2009, 13:45   #2
BHPian

Don't give a second thought.Go and take the plunge for the Safari in case you admire the TATA vehicles.Safari is for those who take their decisions with their heart and the mind is nowhere near.
Agreed that there are few niggles which pop up on the safari and few niggles which go away on their own too But in the end the satisfaction of owning and driving a safari does not match anything else.I have one and I am a happy man.

That said I would also consider Scorpio as my next ride whenever I take a decision to purchase my next SUV.I respect both the SUVs a lot.Safari was a nice decision.But I would also love to own a Scorpio.Safari for its raw but executive look and Scorpio for its power and raw finish.

For me both these SUVs are a great coming off from the indian manufacturers.

I would advice you to test drive both and then forget the TASC and decide what your heart says.Niggles will always be there on Indian roads
Old 21st November 2009, 13:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
I am a diesel head so no petrol for me. In any case i do not want any brand (read that as i want only indian brands) which is not easily repairable on the highways that i travel on and also looking for a vehicle with a decent amount of Ground Clearance.

Damn' am confused. Help me out fellas'

Cheers..
You could also buy a brand that usually does not need to be repaired on the highways .

If insist on buying a 'brand new' car, then Safari is your only option else you could looked at used cars. You could buy a two year old Vitara or a few years old Pajero for the same price as you would pay for Safari.

I guess Innova would be out of question because it isn't an SUV. Correct?
Old 21st November 2009, 14:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

scorpio has a better engine, fit & finish, A.S.S. and CSI than TATA.
Old 21st November 2009, 14:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Listen to your heart. Go for the Safari. I was pretty impressed with the safari reviews here - in particular adc's thread .

I guess you can't wait till next year for the new safari ?
Old 21st November 2009, 15:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

the warrior, all i can say to a amid TATA fan and a owner of tata cars as well till now, go ahead and buy your heart.You have already owned tata cars and know pros and cons of their products, familiarise with their *** department as well.Go ahead man.
Old 21st November 2009, 15:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
You could also buy a brand that usually does not need to be repaired on the highways .

If insist on buying a 'brand new' car, then Safari is your only option else you could looked at used cars. You could buy a two year old Vitara or a few years old Pajero for the same price as you would pay for Safari.

I guess Innova would be out of question because it isn't an SUV. Correct?
As already mentioned i am a diesel head and the only petrol car that i've driven is for a max of 1000 kms in my 11 years of driving. My work involves a lot of travelling so i guess for me diesel takes the cake here. Moreover i'm done with used cars.. Thanks for the suggestions anyways..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
scorpio has a better engine, fit & finish, A.S.S. and CSI than TATA.
I know that Parm and can feel it too but somehow i am not too comfortable driving a scorp..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Listen to your heart. Go for the Safari. I was pretty impressed with the safari reviews here - in particular adc's thread .

I guess you can't wait till next year for the new safari ?
I would have loved to wait for the new safari, but then i don't know if they overdo the cosmetics, then i'll repent all my life for this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
the warrior, all i can say to a amid TATA fan and a owner of tata cars as well till now, go ahead and buy your heart.You have already owned tata cars and know pros and cons of their products, familiarise with their *** department as well.Go ahead man.
Thanks Vijay!!
Old 21st November 2009, 15:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dicey, as you have not many options to choose from and have also ruled out a second hand buy.

Both the Safari and the Scorp have their own pros and cons. However, it would be the Scorp for me over the Safari.
Old 21st November 2009, 17:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

52k kilometers till date and still loving it.

Would suggest GX one, change in OE tyre if you are buying one. A.S.S. at some TASS can be a pain in the ... sometimes.
Old 21st November 2009, 17:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

you are already inclined towards the safari buddy. in that case, i would recommend you to go for the safari. your heart says a safari so leave beside all pretensions & buy your dream since 1998...
Old 21st November 2009, 17:52   #11
BHPian

I had had scorpio for 3 yrs and 1.25K kms before I sold it off and went for Safari.

Safari is 2 years and 70K kms old now. My personal preference now would be Safari, even though it is kind of requiring trips to service station every now and then. The vehicle was delivered with cigerate lighter cover and had problems in driver's side power window. This was never corrected.

But on highways anytime Safari beats Scorpio in terms of comfort whether for rear seat passengers or Driver. I have done Delhi -Diu and Delhi Mumbai on both Safari and scorpio. Safari was by far more comfortable than Scorpio.

Out of these two cars, it's like asking someone whether you would like to be fried or grilled, but then there is no other option either.

If I were you and I have to choose again between Safari and Scorpio I would vote for SAFARI.
Old 21st November 2009, 18:00   #12
BHPian

Safari without a thought. Niggles are there - true. But, within 10 minutes of the niggle resolution, you forget all about it. Such is the charm!
Old 21st November 2009, 18:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Both the Safari and the Scorp have their own pros and cons
Yeah buddy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
52k kilometers till date and still loving it.

Would suggest GX one, change in OE tyre if you are buying one. A.S.S. at some TASS can be a pain in the ... sometimes.
Have driven close to 2 Lac kms in Tata cars... TASS is a pain most of the times but all u need to know is how to work your way around the TASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
you are already inclined towards the safari buddy. in that case, i would recommend you to go for the safari. your heart says a safari so leave beside all pretensions & buy your dream since 1998...
Yeah buddy! I guess it's about time i took the plunge and bought my dream vehicle. All i need is a customer for my Skoda now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I had had scorpio for 3 yrs and 1.25K kms before I sold it off and went for Safari.

Safari is 2 years and 70K kms old now. My personal preference now would be Safari, even though it is kind of requiring trips to service station every now and then. The vehicle was delivered with cigerate lighter cover and had problems in driver's side power window. This was never corrected.

But on highways anytime Safari beats Scorpio in terms of comfort whether for rear seat passengers or Driver. I have done Delhi -Diu and Delhi Mumbai on both Safari and scorpio. Safari was by far more comfortable than Scorpio.

Out of these two cars, it's like asking someone whether you would like to be fried or grilled, but then there is no other option either.

If I were you and I have to choose again between Safari and Scorpio I would vote for SAFARI.
Well i'm ready to live with minor niggles and issues and i guess i'll take the plunge and start negotiation with dealers...

Thanks a ton guys!!!
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
Yeah buddy! I guess it's about time i took the plunge and bought my dream vehicle. All i need is a customer for my Skoda now!!
thats the tougher part actually!

Quote:
Well i'm ready to live with minor niggles and issues and i guess i'll take the plunge and start negotiation with dealers...
in which case i think you dont need to look any further. as you stated, take the plunge & enjoy your dream come true.
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
thats the tougher part actually!
Very true especially since a lot of 'would be' customers of Skoda are getting turned away thanks to their very poor after sales service ! A lot of stories already right here on TBhp. Hope you get a good bargain Warrior and do keep us updated.

Most Viewed