Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 18:39   #1
BHPian

Buying an Innova Vx- Queries

After a lot of thinking and pondering and reading up (Mostly Team-bhp), with a heavy heart I finally gave up on the Safari and decided to purchase an Innova Vx 8 seater in Silver.

The reasons for me changing my mind, I will dwell upon later after I get the Vehicle and post the Initial review. This Thread is about a couple- well make that quite a few- queries regarding the Innova.

In 2005, when I was going about buying my Baleno, I got fantastic support and help from my fellow members. In fact it was this forum that convinced me to go for the Baleno and now, five years and 49,000 kms later, i haven't ever regretted my decision. Hope the guys help me again...

Queries about the innova-

1) The V version comes with the Alloys marked as "City" in the Toyota website- Accessories-Exterior. I prefer the other one listed as "Rugged" shown just below in the same accessories section.

See below-

Toyota - Innova

Would Toyota agree if i requested them to provide my vehicle with this set of Alloy wheels as O.E?

2) About the Tyre Upgrade-In this part of the country, Ground Clearance is a major deal. This is one of the main reasons i was keen on a Safari and the only reason why we bought a Fusion for home this month. Basically, out here, we need Ground Clearance- the more the merrier.

The Innova comes with 205/65-15 tyres and the GC of the vehicle is 176mm. Most of the experts here recommend upsizing to 225/60-15. According to my calculations this would only increase the clearance by 1.75mm.
I asked the Toyota dealer here and he said that putting 225 section tyres would result in Suspension problems over a period of time and they won't give me warranty on suspension if i insist on upsizing this big.

Instead they recommend 205/75r15 for increased Ground clearance. My friend's Innova has this set-up and it seems to work just fine. But according to my calculation, the GC goes up majorly to 196.5mm. Wouldn't the overall stability and the suspension suffer because of this?

What size should i upsize to if i want more clearance yet offer good grip and ride quality?

3) Bank Loan- I'm putting in 8 Lacs and i need a loan of 4 Lacs. I'm thinking of reducing balance coz in a couple of months i might be able to put in Rs 2 lacs at one go. Which bank door do I go and knock in? Who gives the best deals?

4) The Innova doesn't come with USB slot or anything else to play my i-pod. I read in some other thread that one can buy the I-pod interface and hook it up with the OE sound system. What is this Interface? Where can I buy one and how much? Will it work properly? What other options do i have?

Being somewhat of a music buff, I'm keen to have a good system in the car. Yet I want to retain the OE Head Unit, if possible coz it works with the steering remote. Do I need to upgrade the speakers and put in components and tweeters in the front? What about an amplifier and Basstube, cables etc? What is a decent set-up for a limited amount of funds, say 10-15 grands?

5) Does it really make a difference in the long run if i buy a December 2009 vehicle (Resale value?) or should i wait for a couple of weeks and book a January 10 vehicle?

6) Discounts & Freebies - No Discounts ans after a lot of bargaining, the Toyota people here are offering me Floormats, Fender Pole and Mudflaps. Yet I've read across the Forum of some guys getting Car Cover, 3M coating, Spoiler, Muffler Cover etc.. Am being cheated here?

7) Insurance- 2 weeks back, We bought a Ford Fusion Tdi on full cash payment but for Insurance, instead of declaring the Ex-showroom of the vehicle as 6,80,000/- I haggled and showed it as 5,00,000/- thereby getting 1st party insurance yet saving a tidy sum. The only problem of this method is that if the Vehicle gets banged up badly and is a total write-off, then i'd get Insurance based on this figure declared.

Now, since I'll be taking a loan for the Innova, can I do the same thing? The yearly Insurance is coming to about 36 grands and i would like to save from here, yet get 1st Party.

That's all the questions for now (Phew!)

Hope a lot of guys will pitch in and help me with advices.

Puffy.
Old 1st December 2009, 19:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
After a lot of thinking and pondering and reading up (Mostly Team-bhp), with a heavy heart I finally gave up on the Safari and decided to purchase an Innova Vx 8 seater in Silver.
I am sure you will not regret your decision.

Quote:
The V version comes with the Alloys marked as "City" in the Toyota website- Accessories-Exterior. I prefer the other one listed as "Rugged" shown just below in the same accessories section.

Would Toyota agree if i requested them to provide my vehicle with this set of Alloy wheels as O.E?
I tried the same with the dealer when we bought an Innova a month ago for my uncle but the dealer plainly refused saying the swap was not possible.

Quote:

3) Bank Loan- I'm putting in 8 Lacs and i need a loan of 4 Lacs. I'm thinking of reducing balance coz in a couple of months i might be able to put in Rs 2 lacs at one go. Which bank door do I go and knock in? Who gives the best deals?
The best deal I got was from Axis Bank and I hear they have launced a pretty agressive campaign. Try them out.

Quote:

5) Does it really make a difference in the long run if i buy a December 2009 vehicle (Resale value?) or should i wait for a couple of weeks and book a January 10 vehicle?
You would be better off with a 2010 vehicle if you can resist your temptation till Jan 2010.

Quote:

6) Discounts & Freebies - No Discounts ans after a lot of bargaining, the Toyota people here are offering me Floormats, Fender Pole and Mudflaps. Yet I've read across the Forum of some guys getting Car Cover, 3M coating, Spoiler, Muffler Cover etc.. Am being cheated here?
Nope. You are not. I managed only to get mudflaps, floor mats and the exhaust trim as freebies. Toyota doesn't give any freebies esp on the Innova as it is their best-seller. Maybe if you have more than one dealer at your location you can get a better deal on the freebies.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by rr_zen : 1st December 2009 at 20:01.
Old 1st December 2009, 20:48   #3
BHPian

puufy daaju, i stayed in gangtok for 7 years, and own an innova, GC wont be a problem , but the large turning radius is.
even if you dont upsize it wont matter much, how dont go lower profile, the terrain that we have in sikkim, the ride quality will suffer.
i got loan from karma , HDFC most hassle free experience.
regards the insurance thing, gangtok, stealing is out of question, show the lower value of the car IMHO.

regarding the music thing, what ever u buy do not get it installed at silliguri, those are a bunch of idiots,. i got all equipment from delhi and got it installed in gangtok itself , this guy called baidyanath , electrician at entel motors. the good thing about him is you can control him and he will listen to how you want to get it installed.

PS- oh i miss BAKERS cafe, god damn i miss gangtok

Last edited by dr.abhijeet : 1st December 2009 at 20:55.
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:06   #4
BHPian

Thanks rr_zen and Doc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
puufy daaju, i stayed in gangtok for 7 years, and own an innova, GC wont be a problem , but the large turning radius is.
Not in Gtk town or the Siliguri Highway. But we regularly go up North and there we need all the clearances we can get.

Not many replies to my thread. This is Sad.
I better put my split my queries and put them in individual threads- Like Tyres, Music etc.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
After a lot of thinking...... decided to purchase an Innova Vx 8 seater in Silver.
Excellent choice. You will not regret it.

Quote:
Floor mats and mud flaps are generally offered complementary on most passenger cars. I bargained for and got a few more freebies back in Sep - you should get even more freebies now that it is Dec - ask them to throw in the Spoiler and the Car Cover. And, my local Toyota dealer is advertising FREE INSURANCE & Finance at 9.5% on the Innova till Dec 31st. I can scan a copy of the ad and send it to you if you like.

Quote:
7) Insurance - The yearly Insurance is coming to about 36 grands and i would like to save from here, yet get 1st Party.
Insurance at showroom is a big scam. Do not, I repeat DO NOT, purchase insurance from the showroom. Get your quote directly from the insurance agent - get from atleast three different insurance companies and buy the one that you are most comfortable with. Or ask the dealer to match the quote you got from the agent directly.

When I went to buy the Innova I was quoted 32K for the Insurance, while the quote I got directly from the agents varied between 23 to 26K. I had a confrontation with the dealer over this issue. The dealer's behavior & response was very poor and I eventually cancelled the Innova purchase and bought a Xylo instead. I even complained to Toyota about it, see my post here -

Cheers.
Old 11th December 2009, 11:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

You made a very good choice.

*When Toyota is not giving any year end discounts, its better to purchase a vehicle in 2010. You will definitely get a good resale value.
Note: You will get 2009 mfd vehicle registered in 2010. Only from March onwards you can get 2010 mfd.

*The accessories alloys looks very good but they will never give as an exchange. May i know the price of alloys. Guess it would be a bomb shell. Better to get alloys from outside market of your choice.

*If you are planning to change the HU, audio controls on steering wheel will go for a toss.

*Get the insurance done from outside, there by you can save 10K

Do you have any plans for adding a spoiler? If so go for spoiler without LED's. The others with LEDs are not original thought they claim it.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 11th December 2009 at 11:37.
Old 11th December 2009, 11:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Do you have any plans for adding a spoiler? If so go for spoiler without LED's. The others with LEDs are not original thought they claim it.
That's correct. The Toyota dealer offered us a spoiler that does not come with LEDs. I was told that the genuine Toyota spoiler does not come with the LEDs and only the after-market ones have these. The spoiler at the dealer costed 7K, by the way.
Old 11th December 2009, 11:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
4) The Innova doesn't come with USB slot or anything else to play my i-pod. I read in some other thread that one can buy the I-pod interface and hook it up with the OE sound system. What is this Interface? Where can I buy one and how much? Will it work properly? What other options do i have?

Being somewhat of a music buff, I'm keen to have a good system in the car.
I haven't seen the Innova V interiors so am not certain what I'm suggesting will work, but assuming there is no USB/ AUX in/ Cassette player, there is one option (with no wiring changes)

You get these standalone FM transmitters with 2-3 preset frequencies. Plug iPod headphone output to one of these and play. Tune one channel on your radio to one of the presets and you can hear it. Of course you will not be able to control anything apart from the volume from your steering controls and sound quality is compromised a bit.

Got something similar for my dad's Indica which was a dummy cassette player with a wire running out which you plug into the player. Insert cassette, play and bingo!

Edit: Link to one such product FYI , sorry don't have concrete info re buying here

Last edited by mrwalker : 11th December 2009 at 11:54. Reason: Add link to example product
Old 19th February 2010, 22:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Buying Innova VX - BS III or BS IV?

Hi Members,

From a long list of choice of cars, I have narrowed on the Toyota Innova VX. Everything looks fine, except for the BS IV regulation that seems to become effective from the 1st April, 2010.

My question is:

(1). Should I buy the BS III compliant Innova or wait till April 2010 and purchase the BS IV compliant one? There would be a price hike of about INR 30K.

(2). If I'm to sell the vehicle later, say, five years later, would the resale value be adversely affected?

The dealers are of course trying to push me for the BS III compliant Innova, even mentioning about a price hike by as much as INR 50K.

Please advice me.

Thanks and regards,

Nitin.
Old 28th February 2010, 08:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Innova BSIII and BS IV

Hi Team,

Finally decided to go with BSIII as there doesn't seem to be any major changes to the vehicle other than some catalytic converter. Nobody mentions anything about the intercooler.

However, there would be yet another price hike of about INR 20K+ due to these modifications.

I would recommend the same to anyone who is looking forward to purchase in Innova.

There are rumors that a diesel version of the corolla altis would also be launched in March 2010 - but a 1.4 liter engine. No idea of how true this information is.

regards,

Nitin.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nitin, Resale value will be less by 10-15k for a BS111 than BSIV. Need not worry about.

How abt the discount in the BS111 variant?
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ramsager,

The resale value may go down by 10-15k, however, the price hike to pay would be far higher, by about 20K on the ex-showroom value (in addition to the current hike). This would again hike the road tax and insurance value.
Furthermore, the car has a lifetime of 15 years, so this fact should not make a difference within that time span. The only change that's being done is a modification in the catalytic converter - no inter-cooler (confirmed by showroom staff).

However the big question is whether we have BS IV ready fuel?

regards,

Nitin.
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Smiles Offer - Toyota

Toyota Dealers are offering me the Smiles Package at about 6K. Is this worth going for? They mention I do not have to pay for servicing for the next two years, other than any worn-out parts.

The only part I do not feel comfortable is on the oil change. The toyota dealer mentions an oil change is not necessary for the first 5000kms!

I'm wondering whether this could be true.

There are several articles on team-bhp which mentions an oil change to be mandatory for the first service and good if done on all services.

Please advice.

Nitin.
Old 14th March 2010, 17:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Puffdamgcdragon - Did you book your Innova VX ? Please share your dealer experience.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:17   #15
BHPian

Do we anticipate any replacement to the current Innova (Avanza)

Is this is just a rumour or not. Also somwhere in our forum I have seen the new mpv from Innova, not recollecting where I found it.

This is what I heard from carblogs india :

"We initially thought this (Avanza) would be to be positioned below the Innova. Now we are not so sure – the new MPV might even be an all-new vehicle. The price would definitely below than that of the Innova, targeting the Mahindra Xylo market. There is precious little information available about the new launch though".

So when will Toyota launch the Avanza in India? Seems they are just bend on revamping their old models only.

We plans to upgrade our current 2005 model Sumo Victa GX, 70 k km run with Innova. So was thinking twice and try get more information or scoops with regard to Innova upgrade. Looking for a long term relationship with Toyota . Till now its been our Tata who has served well above 1 lakh km for our Tata sumo and currently the 70 k run Victa GX.

Its game on to move on to Toyota family.

** mod's - please do move it to right forum/thread in case you feel the discussion is not appropriate. Regret the inconvenience.

thanks
prsn

Last edited by prsnck : 31st March 2010 at 10:19. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread

Most Viewed