Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 19:38   #16
BHPian

3rd Safari booked!

Hi Guys,

I have just come back home after booking my 3rd Safari... yes you are right, I had to sell my first (3L) after a year and a half due to engine problems and then bought the 2.2 which unfortunately was stolen

Have booked the Mountain Green LX and waiting for the delivery which may take a couple of days as the beast would have to be ordered and is not available in stock with Autolinks.

Ankit
Old 8th February 2010, 08:13   #17
BHPian

@ Ankit: Can you tell us about what deal you got on your new car?
Old 8th February 2010, 09:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitwanchoo View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just come back home after booking my 3rd Safari... yes you are right, I had to sell my first (3L) after a year and a half due to engine problems and then bought the 2.2 which unfortunately was stolen

Have booked the Mountain Green LX and waiting for the delivery which may take a couple of days as the beast would have to be ordered and is not available in stock with Autolinks.

Ankit
congratulations ankit. a repeat customer says a lot about the car. it shows the faith & trust you have in that car.

that said, despite so many reported issues & A.S.S complaints & hassles, safari still has a great fan following. part of them who have not owned the car but stands in awe when a safari passes them on the road, they like the exterior looks. the others like ankit who have owned 2 safaris & cannot imagine driving any other car except the safari. kudos to tata for that.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:19   #19
BHPian

k!ng_@thur: Have just replied to your PM

raj_5004:

Thanks Raj, you are absolutely right, that after having driven a Safari or as a matter of fact even the Scorpio or any other SUV, it is very difficult to convince yourself to buy another car
Old 9th February 2010, 14:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

so Safari it is. congrats for being a repeat customer for the brand. Safari has enough pull to get repeat buys and an impressive one.

Look out for immobilizer so that this one is safer from thieves.
Old 9th February 2010, 23:37   #21
BHPian

@tanwaramit: Thanks Amit.

Just got the news a little while back that a Safari was stolen today morning from near Pusa Road which belonged to someone in the family!

I am now confused on whether I should stretch my budget and buy the EX for the factory fitted immobiliser or should I continue with the booked LX and add security systems like the MicroVBB which is a GSM based tracking system.

I am anyways going to have the gear lock installed.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@tanwaramit: Thanks Amit.

Just got the news a little while back that a Safari was stolen today morning from near Pusa Road which belonged to someone in the family!

I am now confused on whether I should stretch my budget and buy the EX for the factory fitted immobiliser or should I continue with the booked LX and add security systems like the MicroVBB which is a GSM based tracking system.

I am anyways going to have the gear lock installed.
Firstly congrats on booking your 3rd Safari.

Even though there is a 1 Lac difference, I would suggest going for the EX version as you'll get much more than just the factory fitted immobiliser
Old 10th February 2010, 23:16   #23
BHPian

@MileCruncher: Thanks... There is a 1.4L difference in the on road prices of the LX & EX which I feel is not justified given the additions that one gets in the EX over the LX. Though this is quite subjective and different things appeal differently to people, the only reason that I am confused/ tempted to go for the EX is the Immobilizer (the other things don't interest me) but then the differential seems too much.

Having lost one safari already I am trying to find out now if the factory fitted immobilizer is any good or having an aftermarket accessory like the MicroVBB or another GSM based security system good enough.

help with suggestions.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@MileCruncher: Thanks... There is a 1.4L difference in the on road prices of the LX & EX which I feel is not justified given the additions that one gets in the EX over the LX. Though this is quite subjective and different things appeal differently to people, the only reason that I am confused/ tempted to go for the EX is the Immobilizer (the other things don't interest me) but then the differential seems too much.

Having lost one safari already I am trying to find out now if the factory fitted immobilizer is any good or having an aftermarket accessory like the MicroVBB or another GSM based security system good enough.

help with suggestions.
Talk to Minda guys you can get the contacts from local T.A.S.S , They can fit immobilizer in Lx , Minda is OEM supplier for EX and Higher variants actually Minda sells immobilizer but Tata Showrooms don't offer it as an accessory to Lx because it will cannibalize Ex sales. For fitting Minda immobilizer they need to strip the ECU wire as TML has not provided any wire harness for fitting immobilizer in Lx.

Will it affect warranty ? This is a grey area but the common understanding of T.A.S.S is if wire is stripped and not cut warranty will be honored. If this fitting is done through them then most probably they will not create hurdle in warranty. So it will be best if you visit the T.A.S.S you used to visit for your earlier Safaris first and talk to them about this before taking a decision. I

TML offers Autocop as an accessory for Safari Lx for some strange reasons but I really do not know if Autocop can immobilize using ECU control or not ( most probably not)

I think a Minda immobilizer + gear lock should serve the purpose.
Old 13th February 2010, 18:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Talk to Minda guys you can get the contacts from local T.A.S.S , They can fit immobilizer in Lx , Minda is OEM supplier for EX and Higher variants actually Minda sells immobilizer but Tata Showrooms don't offer it as an accessory to Lx because it will cannibalize Ex sales. For fitting Minda immobilizer they need to strip the ECU wire as TML has not provided any wire harness for fitting immobilizer in Lx.

Will it affect warranty ? This is a grey area but the common understanding of T.A.S.S is if wire is stripped and not cut warranty will be honored. If this fitting is done through them then most probably they will not create hurdle in warranty. So it will be best if you visit the T.A.S.S you used to visit for your earlier Safaris first and talk to them about this before taking a decision. I

TML offers Autocop as an accessory for Safari Lx for some strange reasons but I really do not know if Autocop can immobilize using ECU control or not ( most probably not)

I think a Minda immobilizer + gear lock should serve the purpose.
immobilizer is the key. Do lookout for it, even if its a little costly and if can be done by TASS. Even I am glued on the effectiveness of this immobilizer and expecting inputs from fellow BHPians.
Old 15th February 2010, 10:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
immobilizer is the key. Do lookout for it, even if its a little costly and if can be done by TASS. Even I am glued on the effectiveness of this immobilizer and expecting inputs from fellow BHPians.
The Minda Immobilizer costs 6 ~ 6.5 K ,
Old 15th February 2010, 13:55   #27
BHPian

Congratulations!!!

@ankitwanchoo: Congratulations for buying the 3rd Safari.You certainly are a Safari fan.

I also own a Nov 09 2.2 LX Mountain Green Safari here in Kolkata.

If your pocket permits you should opt for the EX version with TML fitted immobiliser.Autocop and Minda units fitted as accessory may not be that fool proof.I bought a LX since my budget was already over stretched to buy a new LX.

If you fit Autocop /Minda then ask for the model which has a back up battery inbuilt for the siren.In the event of the thieves disconnecting the battery supply to the unit to make it useless the siren would keep on blowing with its back up battery, which is a sealed unit integral with the siren. Also motion sensors installed inside the car(feature of an autocop model) would help in the event of an unauthorised intrusion.
Old 15th February 2010, 16:06   #28
BHPian

@sbhaduri, @amitk26, @tanwaramit: thanks for the update, guys

I have already booked the LX variant as my budget did not permit to go for the EX and also I did not like the beige interiors.

I'm checking about the minda immobiliser and also thinking of installing MicroVBB (costs around 15K) apart from a gear lock to secure the beast and hope for the best!
Old 15th February 2010, 20:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have already booked the LX variant as my budget did not permit to go for the EX and also I did not like the beige interiors.

I'm checking about the minda immobiliser and also thinking of installing MicroVBB (costs around 15K) apart from a gear lock to secure the beast and hope for the best!
all the best. waiting for arrival of the beast. when is the delivery expected ?
Old 16th February 2010, 16:47   #30
BHPian

Quote:

my suggestion is to hold down a bit and wait for ARIA

it should be a promising SUV

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks