Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 23:11   #1
BHPian

Advice needed on Mitsubishi Montero

Hi all

I've been on the lookout for a new 4wd vehicle after having sold my Gypsy last year. I had pinned my hopes on the Yeti but even though I really liked it at the Auto Expo I don't think I'll be able to afford it whenever it comes on the market.

I have now been offered a 2003 model Montero, asking price 11 lakhs. I haven't seen the car yet, but wanted some advice in advance:

1. I was under the impression the car was available here only 2006 onwards. Am I wrong?

2. Is the price decent if the vehicle is in good condition?

3. What is the scene on the maintenance front? Does HM service Monteros and are the costs high enough to burn a hole in your pocket?

Any other inputs welcome.

Thanks
AM
Old 25th January 2010, 12:13   #2
BANNED

Well, as a ball park figure, the price seems to be ok if it is a good vehicle. Spares will be expensive as most of them are imported. Also, check if the vehicle has passed through multiple owners, and if the answer is yes, avoid it.
Old 26th January 2010, 17:26   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The 30 lakh Pajero (3rd Gen) was rebadged as a Montero, when HM Mitsubishi launched the 2nd gen Pajero in India at 20 lakhs. Rebadged only so that the older + cheaper generation could use the Pajero name.

Then, in 2007, Mitsubishi launched the 4th gen (which is actually a facelift 3rd gen) for 40 lakhs.

I presume the '03 you are talking about is the 3rd gen? Cannot comment on the purchase as you have not provided any information on the kms covered etc. Plus, do post pictures so that we have clarity on the model you are talking about. The discussion can go further only after you provide more information.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please find my replies in Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinestuffa View Post
Hi all

I have now been offered a 2003 model Montero, asking price 11 lakhs.
11 lac is too expensive for a 2003 Montero. In 2009, I saw a 2005 montero with 70k on the clock go for 9.5lac. The guy from whom I got my cedia sold his 2007 montero (3rd genration again) with 28k on the clock for 16.5lac in April 2009 (less than 2 year old). Check the car first and then decide, maximum I would pay for the car is 8.5 to 9 if its in excellent condition. Please note that the resale is very bad, so try to negotiate hard.

I haven't seen the car yet, but wanted some advice in advance:

1. I was under the impression the car was available here only 2006 onwards. Am I wrong?
Not sure, but I think you are right, the 3rd generation Pajero (montero in India) came to India in 2006. 2003 model would be an import.

2. Is the price decent if the vehicle is in good condition?

No, try to negotiate further, the car is 7 years old now and should not cost more than 9 lacs.

3. What is the scene on the maintenance front? Does HM service Monteros and are the costs high enough to burn a hole in your pocket?

Yes, the Montero is serviced at the authorised Mitsubishi service stations. Asian motors and excel motors are the the Authorised service stations in Delhi, while chanakya motors is in Gurgaon.

Althought, the SUV is damn relaible, please note that its now 7 years old and niggles will start comming up sooner or later. The parts are damn expensive for Montero and maintaining it could be much more than a hole in Pocket. (Please get the car checked properly, if you want any reference in Asian motors, PM me, will give you details of whom to contact.) I may visit the service station this saturday to see a car for a friend, will get the regular maintainence sheet for montero and upload here.

Any other inputs welcome.

I would suggest you look for a Pre-owned Outlander if you are ok with Petrol, A 2008 Outlander should cost you somewhere around 12-13 lacs. Saw a 2008 oulander with 4 k on the clock, go for 14 lacs in 2009. Since it will be a new car, you will get it under warrenty which can be extended up to 3 years 60k kms. The interior again IMHO are better than the generation 3 Pajero (pre 2008 montero). Although, its hard to find a pre-pwned outlander, you may get it after a good seach in a couple of months.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th January 2010 at 22:03.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

OT - Is the current gen Montero imported into India as a CBU ?
Old 28th January 2010, 10:15   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yes Aparth, the currently sold Montero is a Made in Japan CBU. Unfortunately, that's also why its price shot up from 38 lakhs to 50+ lakhs in 2 years!
Old 10th May 2010, 16:46   #7
BHPian

Guys, thanks a ton for all your inputs. Really late responding to you all but was very tied up all this while.

I never did pursue the Montero further as the test drive I had didn't enthuse me at all. Engine had knocking sounds, gears, esp. second gear didn't shift smoothly, body looked like it had had a couple of knocks etc.

Nowhere on the exterior did it say Montero either. All in all I neither liked the car nor the deal.

Thanks again! I guess we can close this thread now.

AM
Old 17th July 2011, 21:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Advice needed on Mitsubishi Montero

Bumping up an old thread to seek further advice on buying a Montero.

Spent the weekend TD'ing a couple of them, both through dealers.

#1: A black December 2006 (regd. 2007 in HR) pre-facelift vehicle with 3.2L engine & manual transmission, with 46+k km on the clock. A few thoughts, as well as some pointers that make me suspect the car may be clocked and likely to have had a hard life, are:
  • Brand new Achilles tyres (anyone heard of them? I haven't) - odd to have a full set of new tyres at 46k km IMO. And why would someone put in tyres of an unknown brand in an expensive car? Fishy...;
  • the gear lever has a lot of free play, looks like a change of lever bushes is required. Odd to have gear lever free play to that extent in a 46k km car;
  • Car doesn't feel planted on the road, as if the suspension needs some looking at. Seems to lack grunt while driving too, and brakes lacked bite;
  • Smoke from the engine oil filler cap when engine runs or is just switched off. Engine oil looks like it hasn't been changed in a long time;
  • Managed to jam up the 4wd system in 4H, wouldn't shift back into 2H. Had to forward-reverse a few times before the system came back to 2H;
  • The vehicle had LHD spec switchgear (indicator stalk on left, wiper stalk on right - why?);
  • Asking price: 22L, negotiable.
#2: A golden (F. beige is the name of the shade) 2003 (regd. 2003 in DL) vehicle with 2.8L engine & automatic transmission, with 57+k km on the clock. Felt good to drive - much better than #1. This is apparently a CBU import. My thoughts on the car:
  • Automatic transmission felt fine during a 10-km drive. No jerks & shudders, shift into different 4wd modes was not as problematic as the previous car;
  • Engine seems to start and rev fine, and this vehicle seemed to have better grunt than #1, braked better, and the suspension felt a whole lot tighter;
  • New Pirelli Scorpions all round;
  • RHD spec switchgear with indicator stalk on right and wiper stalk on left;
  • Asking price: 17L, negotiable.
Now, a lot of questions:
Car #2 seems to be the better car, but is it worth the money for a 8-year-old vehicle?

What are known issues to watch out for with Monteros?

Are spares available for this (4M40 2800cc) engine? Are other spares (e.g. suspension, transmission) common to the imported 3rd gen Pajero and the Montero sold in India?

What are the usual servicing costs for a Montero?

Look forward to your responses.
Old 18th July 2011, 01:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Forget the first one because of the problems you have listed and forget the second one because of its age. Asking price of both is ridiculous. Where the 2003 shouldnt cost anything over 8-8.5lac; the 2006 shouldnt cost over 15lac. Please note you can get the new model 2007-2008 for around 20lacs.

Pre-2006 monteros were all individual imports and post 2006 were CBUs from HM-Mitsui. So, not even a fastener localised..Parts are ridiculously priced again and not available even with little effort. Running parts are available through ASC but if you are looking for any other part, the waiting period can be anything from 40-60 days. There is a 2006, I guess, montero at asian motors waiting for engine parts for last 4 months. Its timing belt snapped and the damage was heavy. Bill will be over 5 lacs..head, valve, guides, pistons, conrods and what not..

A piece of advice: buy post 2007 montero (newer the better), if budget permits, so that you dont face any major issues. If not, dont buy a montero..

Per service cost, every 10k kms, is somewhere around 7-8k from ASC. Brake pads too last a quater mile, will need replacement every 12-15k kms (both front and rear) and costs around 15k from ASC..

Of course the parts can be imported but that will require time and effort again.

Call in to Asian or Excel motors for further help. The service people at both places are very cooperative.

In betwee, which dealers have these vehicles, the atrocious prices seem to come from Superb auto or Pahuja motors...??

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 18th July 2011 at 01:27.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:45   #10
BANNED

Which sets me thinking, is the Montero really a worthy successor of the Pajero? It is not reliable, upkeep is expensive, and spares are an issue too.

Coming to the vehicles mentioned Doc, I wouldn't touch an import with barge pole unless I had a second vehicle for my daily duties and quite some spare cash with me as well.

Are you looking for this as a replacement to your Hawk on Fours or as a second car?

Also, why pay 18-22l for a used Montero when you can get, say, a sparingly used Captiva/Pajero/Outlander for the same price which will more or less do the same duties?
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Which sets me thinking, is the Montero really a worthy successor of the Pajero? It is not reliable, upkeep is expensive, and spares are an issue too.
Well, with the current pricing atleast, its definitely not a sucessor of the pajero. Of course, maintenance is high and spares are an issue but I dont really think thats its right to tag it as unreliable . Reliability is still bullet proof, just that its a machine at end of the day and can go wrong and waiting for parts can drive any owner crazy..

Quote:
Also, why pay 18-22l for a used Montero when you can get, say, a sparingly used Captiva/Pajero/Outlander for the same price which will more or less do the same duties?
There is something about Montero, especially the current gen, just like Range rovers/land rovers, its can be an addiction for a someone who loves SUVs. A test drive of it and one can forget almost all SUVs one has ever driven. Pajero/outlander/captiva doesnt come close , thats MHO.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 22nd July 2011 at 21:52.
Old 23rd July 2011, 01:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would buy the Montero over Captiva/ Endeabour and others. This even though the Service center has not been satisfactory. The simple reason being I have found myself to be more comfortable in one. I do think though that Mitsubishi needs to price it accordingly.
Old 23rd July 2011, 11:05   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Are you looking for this as a replacement to your Hawk on Fours or as a second car?
Neither. It's for my brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
...I dont really think thats its right to tag it as unreliable . Reliability is still bullet proof, just that its a machine at end of the day and can go wrong and waiting for parts can drive any owner crazy..

There is something about Montero, especially the current gen, just like Range rovers/land rovers, its can be an addiction for a someone who loves SUVs.
Thanks for the PM advice, Gaurav. Plan to follow up on it this weekend. Yes, I understand reliability of a Montero is pretty good (though not in the league of a Toyota perhaps), and the other car in that price range with that kind of performance is the LR Freelander 2 (38L OTR, not yet available in the used car market).
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:05   #14
BHPian

having a 2008 montero ,have done 50k kilometres, have had no reliability issues,service cost is equal to endeavour which i had earlier,parts cost like bumper,headlight side mirror are 25k,16k,16k respectively,a lot cheaper than other 40lac vehicles, engine oil used is servo,not synthetic ,service interval is 10k , so maintainence is relatively cheaper than say a skoda laura.
ds
eyedoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 13:41   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedoc View Post
having a 2008 montero ,have done 50k kilometres, have had no reliability issues,service cost is equal to endeavour which i had earlier,parts cost like bumper,headlight side mirror are 25k,16k,16k respectively,a lot cheaper than other 40lac vehicles, engine oil used is servo,not synthetic ,service interval is 10k , so maintainence is relatively cheaper than say a skoda laura.
ds
Hey, that a nice update from a real owner on the forum. I did not know that the Montero can be maintained with as much money as a Laura.

Can you post an ownership review to enlighten all of us alongwith some nice pictures of the beast please?

Most Viewed