Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 20:44   #1
BHPian

4x4 wheel Car for office use

Hi Team,

We are currently working on land development for our factory site. Currently the land is very uneven and almost a kilometer long. So my management decided to purchase a 4x4 for the senior managers to travel around the site. We need some vehicle which offers comfort as well as can take the abuse of multiple people driving. Also we will be using it on NH4 , city to site (can't reveal more details because we are yet to announce the project publicly) and Expressway travel to some extent

My boss is considering Scorpio but I am not sure if it can take that level of offroading. Also In rainy season the land gets very mushy.

What other options are there. Bolero, Gypsy, Safari? We would have taken Thar if only it was offered. I guess it would suite our needs really well. I showed Thar to my boss and he loved the vehicle.

Looking for your suggestions
Old 28th January 2010, 20:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

First, I envy your job
Now that we have gotten over that, my vote would go to the 4*4 Scorpio . Would have loved to suggest the Safari as it is my favorite but from what I have seen, your chances of a flawlessly reliable Safari depend on your stars. Though if you do get a good piece, nothing to beat the Safari in comfort.

Gypsy is also an awesome velicle but I wouldnt call it entirely comfortable.
No idea of what a Bolero can do but from what I have read here, it shouldnt be too bad.

Will leave it to the experts to comment.

Note: I hope this does not offend any Safari lovers. It is just a "from the head" suggestion. Heart would say otherwise

Last edited by sammyboy : 28th January 2010 at 20:55.
Old 28th January 2010, 20:53   #3
BHPian

Check out the Pajero SFX,donno whether if it falls in your budget.But it suits all your needs.
Old 28th January 2010, 20:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

I don't think you need a 4*4 for slushy terrain.

Any decent SUV/ MUV in the hands of an experienced driver should be able to handle it. The Scorpio 4*4 or the Ford Endeavor 4*4 should be a good bet.

I am suggesting the Ford because its big and since your terrain does not pose any overhang issues, it can fit the bill quite well.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:32   #5
BHPian

Scorpio/Safari is a good bet: check out the Blr otr report to see what Scorpio's can do. whateer the state of the construction site you intend to use yours on, it cant be worse than that!
Old 29th January 2010, 09:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

What's your budget? If it is in the vicinity of 20L then you can look at Fortuner, Pajero and the likes.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:43   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the budget? If budget is not a big constraint, then a Pajero/Endevaour/Fortuner would be the best options :-)

If the budget is around 10-12L, then Scorpio or safari 4x4 gets my vote.

If the budget is even less, then go for Bolero 4x4.

However, uneven road doesn't necessarily need a 4x4. But a monsoon treated mushy field may need it and in that case the H/T tyres that come with any 4x4 will not do.

So, have fun choosing the 4x4 for your office.

PS: I also envy your job. Do you guys need a driver for this :-)
Old 29th January 2010, 10:13   #8
BHPian

Get yourself a nice Freelander 2 or a Disco-4 from Landrover, if budget is not a problem.
Old 29th January 2010, 10:27   #9
BHPian

well thanks for the reply guys. And I do love my job

Well the imports are ruled out straight. We are kind of looking in 10-15 budget for now, may stretch it if needed.

As of now the terrain is very uneven, we are currently working on leveling it. so for the next 5 months it will be just dry soil. But once the rains kick in, it gets bad.

I would have love Fortuner but the waiting is too long. We need some vehicle ASAP. Anyway I will discuss all the options with my boss today and will keep u guys updated
Old 29th January 2010, 10:28   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I am sure there would be some budgetary indication for this purchase.

My suggestions given the requirement you have outlined:

1. Mahindra Bolero SLX 4WD - say about 8 lacs OTR
2. Tata Safari EX 2.2 Dicor 4WD - say about 11 lacs OTR
3. Mahindra Scorpio 2.2 Mhawk VLX 4WD - say about 12.5 lacs OTR

Of these the Bolero will be the cheapest to buy and will probably take the maximum abuse. Its got a fully covered cabin, AC and PS etc so the chaps driving it will have a few creature comforts. It is primarily a tough MUV and has proven reliability. (Your Senior Management types may not wish to be seen riding around in a Bolero though)

The Safari EX 2.2 Dicor 4WD is a solid vehicle - very good value at the price too. This is extremely comfortable and has many bells and whistles which the Senior Management chaps will readily appreciate.

The Scorpio 2.2 Mhawk VLX 4WD will be more expensive that the Safari EX 4WD and while it is a tough vehicle and very reliable etc, it is not quite as comfy as the Safari (especially bearing in mind a full load of Senior Management types sitting in it.)

Why I am only recommending Indian made MUV/SUV's is because of relative ease and lower cost of maintenance, spares, service, down-time etc, and the fact that this vehicle more often than not, is going to be subject to a lot of rough use and will be driven by many people.

Given the above points, you can consider your decision.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th January 2010 at 10:32.
Old 29th January 2010, 10:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

As you are doing offroading for business and not for offroading itself.
Keep Thar out after all you wont want to see dust on expensive suites and also when it will be available.

Bolero is fairly good but does not suit the stature of senior management and if you have budget why not go for comfirt.
So you are in Safari / Scorpio territory , Scorpio 4X4 is fairly new so expect some teething trouble IMHO, at-least one initial ownership thread out of 3 tells so but buying Safari does not absolve from them either but at-least those will be minor issues like sqeeking tail gate or seats or temp sensor misreading and nothing serious which stops business or middle row occupants would notice etc.

Whatever you buy make sure drivers know how and when to engage 4H and 4L else expect fat bills in any of your choice.
Old 29th January 2010, 10:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
We are kind of looking in 10-15 budget for now, may stretch it if needed.
IMO go for Scorpio, first well into your budget & a proven vehicle
Old 29th January 2010, 10:58   #13
Team-BHP Support

since its a company car, and company will be taking care of the car, go the the safari EX 4x4 if you want 11L kind of vehicle. If you can spend more, and petrol is not an issue, the Suzuki Grand Vitara is a great vehicle with superb reliability!
Old 29th January 2010, 11:18   #14
BANNED

Most points have been covered by the people here. I would recommend the Scorpio 4 wheel drive as it is highly capable and reliable alongwith being comfortable to travel and takes abuse pretty well.
Old 29th January 2010, 12:35   #15
BHPian

guys another update. We have decided to use the 4x4 car only within the site premises and maybe 4-5 km around the site. So I suggested my boss to go for the cheapest and reliable 4x4 Bolero. He is happy that we would be investing less now. As such they will probably travel for maximum 15-20 minutes at a time.

And Bolero should be easy to maintain and repair. For the highways we will probably pick up a Innova now. Safari my boss is not keen on TATA products

Thanks for all the inputs . Which model of Bolero is the best

ok looks like there is only one variant Mahindra Bolero-SLX 4WD. This has AC and power windows,

Last edited by indian21r : 29th January 2010 at 12:45. Reason: product update

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks