Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 03:34   #1
BHPian

Scrap Gypsy for Project : To buy or not to buy

Hello friends,
I recently came across a gypsy belonging to a friend of mine standing engineless in a state of neglect for sometime.
The Gypsy is 1996 model mg410 mumbai registered vehicle with all papers. This vehicle was converted to diesel engine and run for about 2-3 years. Engine change to diesel was not endorsed on the papers.
Front wheel drive was removed during the diesel conversion.
The gypsy was used to haul paragliders on airport runways.
The vehicle is engineless now after the diesel engine developed some problem and had to be taken out for overhauling. It has not been rebuilt and the vehicle is standing in near scrap condition.

This guy is looking to sell this around 40k. I want to know if you think this is a good price. I am personally ready to pick this up in as is where is condition with full papers for about 20-25k. Do you think this to be a good price either ?

Positive points for the acquisition according to me : Clean papers, MH registered vehicle, alloy wheels

My plan is to acquire this vehicle for a future conversion to either a 1L carb gypsy or 1.3L carburetor gypsy or 1.3L mpfi gypsy or a 1.6L baleno-gypsy.

Is a 1000cc mg410 suited for conversion to 1.3L mpfi gypsy or a 1.6L baleno-gypsy ?
I understand that I will have to probably change every mechanical part, do a complete body work, do a full engine and transmission work --- what is the approximate estimated expenditure offhand for the same ?

Alternatively what is your opinion on an ex army mg410 (91-96 model) which I can get for around 50-60k with almost all parts intact without registration ?

Which of the two should i consider for this future project ?

What if I want to build this into a 1L carb gypsy, then what are the costs involved and will it be a good idea then ?

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Attached Thumbnails
Scrap Gypsy for Project : To buy or not to buy-dsc_0110.jpg  

Scrap Gypsy for Project : To buy or not to buy-dsc_0109.jpg  

Scrap Gypsy for Project : To buy or not to buy-dsc_0113.jpg  

Scrap Gypsy for Project : To buy or not to buy-dsc_0111.jpg  

Scrap Gypsy for Project : To buy or not to buy-dsc_0103.jpg  

Scrap Gypsy for Project : To buy or not to buy-dsc_0102.jpg  

Scrap Gypsy for Project : To buy or not to buy-dsc_0099.jpg  

Scrap Gypsy for Project : To buy or not to buy-dsc_0112.jpg  

Scrap Gypsy for Project : To buy or not to buy-dsc_0119.jpg  

Scrap Gypsy for Project : To buy or not to buy-dsc_0106.jpg  

Old 28th February 2010, 08:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Forget reliability, To get this to running condition you will have to spend more than a lac on it, the bodyline is the biggest let down. That alone will cost you 50k, these are vehicles friends gift friends, who inturn use them for parts. getting a 1.3 carb king engine from mayapuri will set you back by 10k, a king gearbox will cost you an equal amount.

Then other misc expenses will run over 50k just for the parts alone all used, if you are looking for the alloys (set of 4) quote about 6k max for them as they are very old and might be brittle by now. Looking at the amount of rust i feel the tub needs replacement and 40 k just for the papers is a complete let down. even a scrap dealer wont pay more than that, my scrapped esteem was sold for 13 k, all 4 door boot and alloys were salvegeble, the engine was fine as well(had a roll over).

Quote him 10k minus alloys on my behalf, if he is interested i am ready to pay only that much (i hope you got the message), above that figure its a waste.

Pramod
Old 28th February 2010, 09:29   #3
BHPian

Not worth 40k. 10 to 15K max.
Old 28th February 2010, 10:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Alternatively what is your opinion on an ex army mg410 (91-96 model) which I can get for around 50-60k with almost all parts intact without registration ?

Which of the two should i consider for this future project ?
IMO. This will be a better option as u will be getting a mechanically sound Gypsy & you already have an Army rebiuld experience
Old 28th February 2010, 10:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Not worth the time or effort, because:

1. You're better of with a new/used unmodified Gypsy in all its 4x4 splendor. After all, its biggest trait is its ultra-reliability - which is extinct on this skeleton you're talking about due to all the unwanted surgery its been through.

2. Its not that the Gypsy is a classic/vintage vehicle like a Jeep which is no longer under production, to be restored to it 'once-pristine" glory to justify investing painstaking time in its restoration.

Last edited by theMAG : 28th February 2010 at 10:45.
Old 28th February 2010, 10:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Forget reliability, To get this to running condition you will have to spend more than a lac on it, the bodyline is the biggest let down. That alone will cost you 50k, these are vehicles friends gift friends, who inturn use them for parts. getting a 1.3 carb king engine from mayapuri will set you back by 10k, a king gearbox will cost you an equal amount.

Then other misc expenses will run over 50k just for the parts alone all used, if you are looking for the alloys (set of 4) quote about 6k max for them as they are very old and might be brittle by now. Looking at the amount of rust i feel the tub needs replacement and 40 k just for the papers is a complete let down. even a scrap dealer wont pay more than that, my scrapped esteem was sold for 13 k, all 4 door boot and alloys were salvegeble, the engine was fine as well(had a roll over).

Quote him 10k minus alloys on my behalf, if he is interested i am ready to pay only that much (i hope you got the message), above that figure its a waste.

Pramod
Quote:
Originally Posted by whicked wheels View Post
Not worth 40k. 10 to 15K max.
Makes sense. So my best quote will be max 15k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
IMO. This will be a better option as u will be getting a mechanically sound Gypsy & you already have an Army rebiuld experience
Makes more sense. But still at 15k is the above deal good ?
And if I want to have a properly restored mg410 with original 1L carb engine with a working 4x4 and all other mechanical parts, how much expenditure am I looking at ? Parts procurement is not a problem at all. If I go this route I will use all brand new MGP parts over second hand parts from the used market.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 28th February 2010, 11:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Not worth the time or effort, because:

1. You're better of with a new/used unmodified Gypsy in all its 4x4 splendor. After all, its biggest trait is its ultra-reliability - which is extinct on this skeleton you're talking about due to all the unwanted surgery its been through.

2. Its not that the Gypsy is a classic/vintage vehicle like a Jeep which is no longer under production, to be restored to it 'once-pristine" glory to justify investing painstaking time in its restoration.
Hmmm..... Very apty and lucidly put I must say.
Makes me wonder about the possible course of action. On one hand if I bargain well I stand to get a skeleton with papers at a ridiculous price and use it like a canvas to create a painting and maybe get a fully restored vehicle under 1 lakh (is it possible )

On the other hand I can end up with a lump of (1ton) metal if I am not able to do proper justice to the restoration.

hmmm....... hmmmmm.... hmmmm.....
Old 28th February 2010, 11:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Dr.Ghosh - PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS GYPSY. IT IS GONE COMPLETELY.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th February 2010, 11:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Dr.Ghosh - PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS GYPSY. IT IS GONE COMPLETELY.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
That settles it.
Thank you behram sir.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 28th February 2010, 12:12   #10
BHPian

Hi Dr. Ghosh,

I'd suggest going the Army disposal way. At least you will have a clean bodyline and chasis to start of with (You already have taken that path earlier so I think i'm a little under experienced to tell you this).

Regards,
Zorro4X4
Old 28th February 2010, 13:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dr Sir,

after looking at numerous gypsy threads i should say this was the worst condition gypsy i have seen.

it would be a major pain to these things done and again even while procuring the engine, if you pick the same from from dealers, they might try to swindle you in that as well unless you have a very pakka source.

Lie everyone else i would also say going in for a army one would make sense. atleast you have more confidence in the project and its completion.

my bet is max 15K for the above.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 28th February 2010, 13:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Dr Sir,

after looking at numerous gypsy threads i should say this was the worst condition gypsy i have seen.

it would be a major pain to these things done and again even while procuring the engine, if you pick the same from from dealers, they might try to swindle you in that as well unless you have a very pakka source.

Lie everyone else i would also say going in for a army one would make sense. atleast you have more confidence in the project and its completion.

my bet is max 15K for the above.

Cheers,
Raj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro4X4 View Post
Hi Dr. Ghosh,

I'd suggest going the Army disposal way. At least you will have a clean bodyline and chasis to start of with (You already have taken that path earlier so I think i'm a little under experienced to tell you this).

Regards,
Zorro4X4
Hi raj and zorro
I am staying away from this. I will look for ex-army mg410's for my next project.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 28th February 2010, 13:41   #13
BHPian

Abheek just out of curosity, what you do with so many gypsies??
Old 28th February 2010, 13:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Saheb,
Kahan phas rahe hain aap. You know, you can get lot better Gypsies in 50-60K. Then why you are spending your precious time and money on completely gone Gypsy.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 28th February 2010, 14:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think you can get a proper working gypsy here in Nagpur at a decent price...just you will have search around.

Most Viewed