Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 20:07   #16
BHPian

if you are planning to bling it up and change it RHD then dont buy it. A WILLYS is WILLYS it is supposed to stay like this No MAHINDRA can ever come close to a TRUE WILLYS. After all there are very few of them left now which are not modified to RHD and not fitted with Diesel engines. Please spare this one! this will solve no purpose of yours and a classic WILLYS will loose its charisma forever apart from getting lost in a wannabe WILLYS crowd outside, inspite of being original.
hope you understand what I m trying to put across.
Old 16th April 2010, 20:14   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post
if you are planning to bling it up and change it RHD then dont buy it. A WILLYS is WILLYS it is supposed to stay like this No MAHINDRA can ever come close to a TRUE WILLYS.
What is this True Willys? Every Willys made in India since 1945 is made by Mahindra.

Are there Willys Jeeps in India that were not made by Mahindra?
Old 16th April 2010, 20:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulGarage View Post
I just came across, this willys, its in Thane:

Team-BHP Classifieds - 1964 LHD Willys Jeep - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Do you guys think,
a. Its worth the money
b. Can i BLING it on?
c. add AC to it?
d. Convert it from LHD to RHD?
Please spare this jeep and find another project vehicle. An ex-Army Gypsy should be perfect. Alloys + big tyres + nice paint job and a loud stereo with a removable soft-top = urban cruising machine.
Old 17th April 2010, 01:18   #19
BHPian

Willys will be spared! Don't fancy driving a LHD vehicle.

Heave a sigh of relief all of you!!

So, to carry on the story, the dealer that i mentioned earlier who quoted 3lacs for classic, I went to see this jeep again today. Have the pics!!!

some facts:
a. It's a 540! (you guys were right!!!) and it seems this dealer does mods of all kinds of mahindra into Classic look alike!! There were 2 other jobs-in-progress there!

b. It's a 2 wheel drive with a 4x4 sticker! (offered to convert it into a 4x4 at 45k extra, by adding differentials at rear & front tyres)

c. He claims its a 2000 model

d. Power Steering, Disc brakes, new battery, tyres etc

c. Recently done body work

d. Cost now quoted by another guy working there 2.8 L.

e. Without the Maxxis tyres, he will reduce it to 2.2L (will give the normal ones instead)

f. Engine not overhauled.

I self-started the vehicle, and the engine sounded robust, like most Jeeps do. Not much experience, but my guess.

Now, for the pics for your eyes:

Images taken by a 3.2mp mobile phone camera, so excuse the quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro-image267.jpg  

Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro-image259.jpg  

Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro-image240.jpg  

Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro-image257.jpg  

Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro-image260.jpg  

Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro-image261.jpg  

Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro-image268.jpg  

Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro-image258.jpg  

Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro-image265.jpg  

Old 17th April 2010, 05:28   #20
KMT
BHPian

I expect changing the body will be a major entry on the RC Book, how will it affect insurance etc?

This thread reminds me of my college days when I burnt my fingers quite badly with similar experiences with mechanics/dealers of used Jeeps.

I see you have set your mind on a CJ, unlike so many people on the forum I have only bad comments on them based on experience of using them as daily workhorses rather than lifestyle vehicles. Unfortunately there is not much choice for a diesel 4x4.

That said, your kid bro is a very lucky guy...
Please reconsider a Gypsy.
Old 17th April 2010, 12:35   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
some facts:
a. It's a 540! (you guys were right!!!) and it seems this dealer does mods of all kinds of mahindra into Classic look alike!! There were 2 other jobs-in-progress there!
Are you sure it is a 540? The below portion of the photo tells me it is a 340 or CJ3B.

Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro-image261.jpg

Quote:
b. It's a 2 wheel drive with a 4x4 sticker! (offered to convert it into a 4x4 at 45k extra, by adding differentials at rear & front tyres)
If you need to add differentials in the front as well as the rear, it is a 0WD. It won't even move by itself without external force.

Anyway, this dealer is a typical dabwali shop. But, you have to ask yourself one question. Do you really need a 4WD? Your brother needs a bling vehicle, therefore a souped up 2WD should suffice. No point buying an offroad machine if he is never going offroad.
Old 17th April 2010, 13:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I expect changing the body will be a major entry on the RC Book, how will it affect insurance etc?

This thread reminds me of my college days when I burnt my fingers quite badly with similar experiences with mechanics/dealers of used Jeeps.

I see you have set your mind on a CJ, unlike so many people on the forum I have only bad comments on them based on experience of using them as daily workhorses rather than lifestyle vehicles. Unfortunately there is not much choice for a diesel 4x4.

That said, your kid bro is a very lucky guy...
Please reconsider a Gypsy.
Body changing requiring RCBook entry, geek area!! Me no understand mucho! Gypsy is something I would have happily pranced about and got it for him, but he is caught on to the Jeep thrill! I don't really get how and where he got this craze!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Are you sure it is a 540? The below portion of the photo tells me it is a 340 or CJ3B.

No Idea Samurai. Illiterate. 340/540/CJ/CJ3B only kaala akshar for me

Attachment 331299

If you need to add differentials in the front as well as the rear, it is a 0WD. It won't even move by itself without external force.

I get this part! Basic mechanics. I quoted him there. :-)

Anyway, this dealer is a typical dabwali shop. But, you have to ask yourself one question. Do you really need a 4WD? Your brother needs a bling vehicle, therefore a souped up 2WD should suffice. No point buying an offroad machine if he is never going offroad.
You are right, 2WD will do, but this Jeep is something even I would like to experience, especially since I sat in the above shown Jeep, I liked the commanding position it offers in the pilot seat! And I would like to make full use of the Jeep (read offroading!)

Jeez, this is exciting me too now. The prospect of doing Off roading!!
Old 17th April 2010, 16:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Soulgarage,
I am sure you love your brother, don't you? Then why do you want to gift him the crap in the picture? To me it is the mix and match, a cut short MM540 chassis. The only thing worth in that jeep are tires. Pick them up!

Honestly since your kid bro like Jeep please gift him a better example. If not classic pick up a better example of CJ 3B. If money and time permits you can make it classic look alike. Please don't buy him trouble. Pick up a jeep from a jeep lover. That's the safest bet and i am sure a jeep lover will never cheat you. Keep a look on Team bhp classified's you will get one.

A jeep is a Jeep in any form. One must know how to appreciate it!
Old 18th April 2010, 08:17   #24
BHPian

you want a jeep?

hi,
i read through your posts, i can help you procure a jeep, immaculate one at that . give me a call. have sent you my number on pm
sharat

Last edited by docfreak : 18th April 2010 at 08:19. Reason: wish not to post this information on the public forum
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:30   #25
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

If you really want AC, comfort and Safety go for an old Safari TCIC painted new and funky - should be possible in your budget 2.5L with new tyres.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:39   #26
AVR
BHPian

I've seen a few scrapped 540s in the junkyard in Ahmedabad. I also know someone who can do it up for you to your tastes. You might not need a 100% budget extension either!!

PM me if you want to go this route.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:46   #27
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd April 2010 at 20:05.
whitesquall is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th April 2010, 11:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
hi,
i read through your posts, i can help you procure a jeep, immaculate one at that . give me a call. have sent you my number on pm
sharat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
If you really want AC, comfort and Safety go for an old Safari TCIC painted new and funky - should be possible in your budget 2.5L with new tyres.
Sigh! I wish my bro liked this better than the Jeep experience, he wants that open air thing. Personally, Safari is something i've always wanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
I've seen a few scrapped 540s in the junkyard in Ahmedabad. I also know someone who can do it up for you to your tastes. You might not need a 100% budget extension either!!

PM me if you want to go this route.

Cheers,
Adi
Adi, Ive Pmmed you. Please pass me the details!! Very much interested!
Old 13th May 2010, 14:17   #29
BHPian

Team-BHP Classifieds - ex army jeep,swd. 4X4-price slashed!!! - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Guys! your views please.... if its a go, i'll fly down today!!
Old 14th May 2010, 10:46   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Really good looking jeep, SoulGarage. Just verify the overall condition of the engine / transmission, that the chassis has not been chopped / altered / damaged in the after-market and clean paperwork. If you can bring it home for a good price, whatever needs to be fixed is easy to get done.

He mentions Peugeot engine. Consider buying ONLY if it has the Mahindra 2.1 or 2.5 units. No import junk ok?

One thing I've realised with my Jeep is that, with the right mechanic and $$$, one can fix anything thats gone wrong. Thanks to their shoddy build though, these ol' Jeeps remain work-in-progress vehicles throughout their life . Something or the other always needs attention.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2010 at 10:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks