Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 16:45   #1
BHPian

Quest of Pre-worshipped Mitsubishi Montero. EDIT:Settled for Outlander

Friends,

Most of you would be aware of my search of Montero (have posted seperately on a couple of other threads). However, want to share my experience thus far so as to get inputs from you all and arrive at a more sensible decision.

Spent most of my last week in sourcing a few used Monteros in Delhi/NCR. Got one lead from our mod, Arjun, a few from web and had the following vehicles -

1) White, 2007 pre-facelift, 56k kms, HR registered, VIP no. for 25L - Direct deal with owner
Spoke to the owner, a nice bloke who has a Lambo, S, and an A4 along with a Ducati in his garage. Asking price non-negotiable, therefore, haven't followed up on this vehicle after the discussion. Though from what has been communicated, vehicle is as good as new despite having 56k on the odo.

2) Silver, Oct 2007, 26k kms, DL registered, 25L asking - through dealer
Had scheduled a viewing over the last weekend. Got to know on Saturday morning it was gone.. another early bird got the worm..

3) White, 2007 pre-facelift, 45k kms, DL registered, 22L asking - through dealer
Test drove the vehicle over the weekend and returned disappointed on account of following reasons -
a) Had asked the dealer I wanted to see the vehicle cold and bring it up myself. This did not happen as the vehicle was brought to a common meeting point despite the fact that I was in the vicinity of vehicle's abode.
b) Dealer's trick to make me see the vehicle in M Block market main road, GK-2. Playing with the psyche of prospect is what contributed in further putting me off. Why would you want someone to have a look at the vehicle on a congested/busy road?
c) Anyway, I opened the driver door only to observe that paint of area surrounding power window switches was completely faded - just one small symptom which indicated that driver's seat could possibly have been roughly used. Allowed the faded paint to pass by, giving benefit of doubt.
d) Vehicle was already running to keep the AC on since it was summer afternoon. Slotted it into first and it started moving without any problem whatsoever. So far so good.
e) Since this road was crowded, I took a detour into one of the deserted by lanes. Tried sudden stopping to check the brakes - well, the vehicle did stop but the feel on brake pedal was spongy indicating that brakes required some attention.
f) Took a U-turn at a small by-lane T intersection - no problem whatsoever in takin a 3-point U-turn. Reverse too was slotted into comfortably.
g) Drove for another 1.5 kms to reach a wide road which had a dead end. During this stretch, realized that the vehicle's alignment was in bad shape. Car was pulling to left so much so that it wasn't possible to remove my hands from the steering for more than 2 seconds.
h) Parked the vehicle under a shady tree and stepped out to have a look at the vehicle from outside - first step which I had to perform last because of this smartxxx dealer. Tyre tread was less than average. One of the front fog laps was broken and was taped up (tape had blackened with dirt and dust indicating it had been broken for a while).
i) Opened the boot door and was wecomed with musty smell. Seems the mat had gone wet and was allowed to dry up on its own.

Drove the vehicle back and dealer was trying to convince me that all was not wrong with the vehicle. I simply asked him when was the vehicle serviced last and the driver (he had accompanied us on the drive) told me it was close to 10k kms that the service was last due.

Thanked the dealer and told him politely but firmly this time around (he just simply wouldn't stop selling it to me) that I wasn't interested in this one.

Nothing wrong with this vehicle that couldn't be fixed, but not very confidence inpiring to commit 20-odd big ones on a vehicle used/abused in this way, to be very honest.

4) Black, 2008 post-facelift, 26k kms, MH registered for 27L - Direct deal with owner
Came across this option on the internet. Vehicle is registered as a commercial vehicle by a car rental company having a fleet of 120+ cars. Claimed that this hasn't been used as a cab ever in its lifetime. Was driven only by the fleet owner for his/family's exclusive use.
Looking at the pics, vehicle looks to be clean, well maintained and scratch/dent-less - though looks can be deceptive
Other than the logistics issue with this vehicle (me having to fly down to Mumbai for the test drive and verification), another challenge is the vehicle being registered as commercial one, I would be required to spend good amount on vehicle's re-registration.
Need help from you folks in identifying the pros and cons of this particular deal. Have quoted 22L as the tops of my budget to this person and he is supposed to come back with his final figure later this afternoon. Have told him would get into looking at the finer aspects of the vehicle (viewing, inspection, verification, etc.) ony after I hear his minimum.
I have been sent across the following pics in email
Attached Thumbnails
Quest of Pre-worshipped Mitsubishi Montero. EDIT:Settled for Outlander-mitsubishi_montero_front.jpg  

Quest of Pre-worshipped Mitsubishi Montero. EDIT:Settled for Outlander-mitsubishi_montero_back.jpg  

Quest of Pre-worshipped Mitsubishi Montero. EDIT:Settled for Outlander-mitsubishi_montero__dash.jpg  

Quest of Pre-worshipped Mitsubishi Montero. EDIT:Settled for Outlander-mitsubsihi_montero__interior.jpg  

AlokSriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2010, 10:44   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Woohoo! The Montero is indeed an SUV that deserves the "pre-worshipped" tag. Great choice on an all-rounded SUV. Jap reliability, torquey engine, balanced ride & handling and all that space. Can't go wrong with a Montero for 20 odd lakhs. In fact, I'd be tempted in choosing a Montero over even the Landcruiser 100 series (another one of my favourites), primary reason being the LC's shoddy grey import reputation and suspect paperwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
2) Silver, Oct 2007, 26k kms, DL registered, 25L asking - through dealer
Had scheduled a viewing over the last weekend. Got to know on Saturday morning it was gone.. another early bird got the worm..
Tough luck. This would have been my pick.

Quote:
Came across this option on the internet. Vehicle is registered as a commercial vehicle by a car rental company having a fleet of 120+ cars. Claimed that this hasn't been used as a cab ever in its lifetime.
Don't buy his story. This company is based in Prabhadevi right? A friend of mine had seen another white Montero belonging to the same organisation. It was pretty abused and was so obviously used as a cab.

Quote:
Looking at the pics, vehicle looks to be clean, well maintained and scratch/dent-less - though looks can be deceptive
Other than the logistics issue with this vehicle (me having to fly down to Mumbai for the test drive and verification),
Yeah, the vehicle looks clean in the pictures. Only a detailed test + professional evaluation will tell the entire story. Tell you what, if he's willing to bring the SUV down to my office, I can check her out for you. Buttttttttttttttt

Quote:
another challenge is the vehicle being registered as commercial one, I would be required to spend good amount on vehicle's re-registration.
You've already given him an offer of 22 lakhs. Transferring a 40 lakh (when new) car to Delhi will cost you another 5 lakhs (guesstimate)? It's simply not worth it.

I suggest you be a little patient and keep screening the North Indian market regularly. It is, after all, a bigger market for luxury cars than Bombay and will logically have more used Monteros on sale.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:20   #3
Team-BHP Support

I agree with GTO here. Luxury SUV scene is really big in North. I suggest you train your sights to industrial towns like Ludhiana, and Zirakpur. With the recent recession, a lot of people are trying to sell their purchases.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:42   #4
BHPian

The SUV is really clean & I would suggest if the deal finalizes get it transferred in your name with no change in state registration.

Try the other route.

In delhi there is no problem driving car of any registration state unlike other indian states.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam00
Old 13th April 2010, 16:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't buy his story. This company is based in Prabhadevi right? A friend of mine had seen another white Montero belonging to the same organisation. It was pretty abused and was so obviously used as a cab.
Sure, will PM you the organization details.

Quote:
Yeah, the vehicle looks clean in the pictures. Only a detailed test + professional evaluation will tell the entire story. Tell you what, if he's willing to bring the SUV down to my office, I can check her out for you. Buttttttttttttttt
Thanks much GTO, sincerely appreciate your offer. However, seems I have to let go of this car - reason mentioned below.

Quote:
You've already given him an offer of 22 lakhs. Transferring a 40 lakh (when new) car to Delhi will cost you another 5 lakhs (guesstimate)? It's simply not worth it.
Here comes the deal breaker - since April 1st 2010, all vehicles need to be Euro-IV compliant in order to be registered in Delhi/NCR. Which means I would not be able to get it registered in Gurgaon. Another alternative could have been getting it registered at my native Kanpur, but that too is in the list of 12 cities where this regulation came into effect earlier this month..
Quote:
I suggest you be a little patient and keep screening the North Indian market regularly. It is, after all, a bigger market for luxury cars than Bombay and will logically have more used Monteros on sale.
Sure, at the same time, vehicles in this part of country have a lot on their odos (average 50k - though its a small fraction of vehicle's life). Nonetheless, will keep my eyes and ears open - though my mobility is hampered ever since we disposed off one of the vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I agree with GTO here. Luxury SUV scene is really big in North. I suggest you train your sights to industrial towns like Ludhiana, and Zirakpur. With the recent recession, a lot of people are trying to sell their purchases.
Thanks Tanveer! No offense to anyone, I am a bit skeptical of PB registered vehicles as the probability of them being (ab)used is a bit on higher side.. Nonetheless, will keep an eye on the used car market there as well - one never knows
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam00 View Post
The SUV is really clean & I would suggest if the deal finalizes get it transferred in your name with no change in state registration.
Complication is vehicle being commerically registered. Hence I necessarily need to get it re-registered only at a place where I have an address proof. As mentioned above, both those cities are now E-IV compliant

Quote:
In delhi there is no problem driving car of any registration state unlike other indian states.
Correct, currently I drive my KA registered vehicle in Delhi/NCR without any issues. Did the same during 2005 too with another car (again KA registered), and was never once stopped. Oh yes, the car crosses borders GGN-DLI (and earlier UP-DLI) every day.

Other members in MUM/suburbs, interested in Black Montero, please feel free to PM me and I can pass on the contact details to you.
Old 14th April 2010, 10:20   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam00 View Post
How would he transfer the car & retain the MH plates, without a MH address?

Quote:
Here comes the deal breaker - since April 1st 2010, all vehicles need to be Euro-IV compliant in order to be registered in Delhi/NCR. Which means I would not be able to get it registered in Gurgaon.
Don't sweat, the Montero common-rail is sold in Europe and meets Bharat Stage IV / Euro IV (if not Euro V too).
Old 14th April 2010, 11:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't sweat, the Montero common-rail is sold in Europe and meets Bharat Stage IV / Euro IV (if not Euro V too).
I checked with Mitsubishi dealer here in Delhi and they confirmed that current Montero doesn't meet E-IV norms and they are not selling new ones anymore. June/July is the time frame when Monteros would be available with E-IV compliant engines.
Old 16th April 2010, 20:00   #8
BHPian

v10 Touareg anyone?

This afternoon received a call from dealer for a 2006, 35k+ kms done v10 Touareg which was imported on an OGL by a VVIP. Asking price - 40L negotiable.
Posting here in case someone's interested
Old 26th May 2010, 21:47   #9
BHPian

Earlier this evening, received a call from one of the dealers who wanted to check my interest in an Outlander - 2008 HR registered model, 29k kms done in excellent condition - asking price of 13L - absolutely non-negotiable.

Of course I was on the lookout of Montero but OL doesn't seem to be too bad a choice, given the fact that we (me and wifey) are managing with just one car since last couple of months - can be a pain once in a while..

Am going to have a dekko tomorrow and if the condition is really excellent, am planning to send it over to one of the MM service stations for a B2B health check. Dealer is happy to send the vehicle to workshop (seems this car belongs to one of his friends and he is pretty sure about the condition).

Of course there's a lot of difference between Montero and an OL (fuel, seating, capabilities, etc.), but if I am unable to lay my hands on the original choice, does it make sense to go for OL?

What do you suggest friends? Is it an option worth exploring? Is the price right?
Old 26th May 2010, 22:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well for one the Montero is a 3.2 diesel and the Outlander a 2.4l petrol.
The Outlander is an automatic, whereas the Montero has a manual option. Both are great cars. I have a 2007 pre-facelift Montero and I love it!
Old 26th May 2010, 22:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Earlier this evening, received a call from one of the dealers who wanted to check my interest in an Outlander - 2008 HR registered model, 29k kms done in excellent condition - asking price of 13L - absolutely non-negotiable.
That is a too good a deal on OL. I wish we get such deals in Bangalore!
OL comes with CVT, which according to some has some weaknesses (like rubber band effect). But you would know how much it affects in real world after test driving it.
Old 26th May 2010, 23:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

ha ha Guna, such is NCR.

Alok - OL is a really nice vehicle. If its been well taken care of, its a fantastic vehicle - my client MD has one, and he prefers it over his Camry. The driver also speaks well of the car. But mind you, it definitely looks SMALL compared to even the Safari, forget Montero. It is essentially a car feeling - not a truck like Montero.

Lastly, donno OL prices, but it sold about 18-19L new IIRC - 13L is definitely on the higher side for a Mitsu petrol in NCR!
Old 27th May 2010, 19:21   #13
BHPian

Thanks jyobeb, Guna and phamilyman for your thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Well for one the Montero is a 3.2 diesel and the Outlander a 2.4l petrol.
The Outlander is an automatic, whereas the Montero has a manual option. Both are great cars. I have a 2007 pre-facelift Montero and I love it!
Yes, Montero would have been my choice too. Unfortunately, need is taking precedence over prefernce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
That is a too good a deal on OL. I wish we get such deals in Bangalore!
OL comes with CVT, which according to some has some weaknesses (like rubber band effect). But you would know how much it affects in real world after test driving it.
Drove the vehicle today for more than 30-odd kms in dense traffic conditions from Lapjpat Nagar to Faridabad - return and was happy with the drivability of OL.
Forgive my ignorance - not sure what is meant by rubber-band effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ha ha Guna, such is NCR.

Alok - OL is a really nice vehicle. If its been well taken care of, its a fantastic vehicle - my client MD has one, and he prefers it over his Camry. The driver also speaks well of the car. But mind you, it definitely looks SMALL compared to even the Safari, forget Montero. It is essentially a car feeling - not a truck like Montero.

Lastly, donno OL prices, but it sold about 18-19L new IIRC - 13L is definitely on the higher side for a Mitsu petrol in NCR!
Checked prices of preowned OLs on carwale.com and nothing was available for less than 16L.

Double checked with a friend at MM and was confirmed that 13L was excellent price for 29k done 1.5 years old OL.

Checked the vehicle in person and found it to be extremely well maintained. Did not had too much of hestiation in parting with the booking amount once the MM service station checked the vehicle and gave a go ahead

Car would be home in another couple of week's time tops - as soon as the loan formailities are worked out and the cheque comes through.

Pictures should follow soon.

Last edited by AlokSriva : 27th May 2010 at 19:23.
Old 27th May 2010, 22:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance - not sure what is meant by rubber-band effect.
'Rubber Band' effect is referred to the phenomenon that happens in vehicles with CVTs, where the engine revs go up first without corresponding change in the speed of the vehicle. It is after a while the CVT catches up and the vehicle gets the actual momentum. The reason is, when you give the throttle input, the computer decides the combination of the required engine speed and the ratio on the CVT.

BTW, congrats on finalizing the OL. Pre-owned OL is certainly on my radar as well

Last edited by Guna : 27th May 2010 at 22:58.
Old 27th May 2010, 23:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
'Rubber Band' effect is referred to the phenomenon that happens in vehicles with CVTs, where the engine revs go up first without corresponding change in the speed of the vehicle. It is after a while the CVT catches up and the vehicle gets the actual momentum. The reason is, when you give the throttle input, the computer decides the combination of the required engine speed and the ratio on the CVT.

BTW, congrats on finalizing the OL. Pre-owned OL is certainly on my radar as well
Thanks Guna for the wishes and enlightening me To be honest, I did not feel this effect. Or maybe, I am not that an observant driver to have noticed it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks