Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 02:05   #1
BHPian

Audi Q7 / Porsche Cayenne / BMW X5 / VW Toureg

Hi All,

Need to take a decision to get a SUV. Am in Dubai currently and the 4 shortlisted cars are

1) Audi Q7
2) Porsche Cayenne
3) BMW X5
4) VW Toureg

Personally I like the Q7 and X5 but have included the other 2 since they are pretty similar in the trim levels, size, performance and price range - oh am considering only used models - a year or 2 max (there are some excellent deals available)

Use will be in the city during weekdays and roadtrips with family on the weekends (once or twice a month) - will not do any serious offroading though. High on the list of priorities are:
1) Safety (i think all the mentioned cars fit this criteria)
2) Comfort
3) Driving Pleasure
4) Music System and sat-nav
5) Service and parts availability.

Any thoughts/suggestions would definitely help. Buying time frame is approx 6-8 weeks.
Old 23rd April 2010, 04:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Best, you can get would either be the BMW X5(even look for a X6 if you dont have any tall passengers in the rear) or the Porsche Cayenne for you needs, they ticks all the right boxes. Though, I feel the BMW should win because it won't bite as hard as the Cayenne if you ever take it slightly off-the road, Brilliant diesel engine and the service should be better than Porsche. The Q7 too is a good option if you can live with its behemoth dimensions. Yes, In dubai size would hardly bother you, But Off-Roading is complete No-No with the Q7. Also, I've felt the Q7 a bit wobbly at high speeds.

The last thing I suggest you is the VW, Buy one either If you plan to do better off-road trips than the above listed cars or if you come across a really well-maintained V10 TDi. Resale and Brand-Value are the words to keep in mind when you are buying the VW.

I have driven all the cars above mentioned. So, If you ask me a final word, It should be the Bimmer. Anyday !
Old 23rd April 2010, 07:22   #3
BHPian

I happen to agree with scorcher to a point. Why don't you add the Range Rover and Land Cruiser to your list as well? If you look around, you should be able to find a hardly used RR in your budget.

My personal favourite is the VW from your list of 4 suv's, as long as you buy the twin turbo diesel. It is one hell of a machine. My first pick would be a range rover, then the VW, then the Porsche and finally the land cruiser or the BMW.
Old 23rd April 2010, 07:28   #4
BHPian

@Zensi. If you get interested in Q7 you can PM me as I'm selling my Feb/2009 Q7 3.0 TDI for a new 4.2 TDI Q7. I might be able to give you a smile
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:33   #5
BHPian

How about considering Volvo XC60. Have great features, but should be worried about A$$ and Bus image.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
@Zensi. If you get interested in Q7 you can PM me as I'm selling my Feb/2009 Q7 3.0 TDI for a new 4.2 TDI Q7. I might be able to give you a smile
Oops.. he is planning to buy one in Dubai - right?

OT - Mind giving me a small smile in a PM though? I am on the lookout of a used SUV in GGN, of course not in the likes of Q7, but a Montero, nonetheless, a little knowledge never did any one any harm

Last edited by AlokSriva : 23rd April 2010 at 12:19.
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Oops.. he is planning to buy one in Dubai - right?

OT - Mind giving me a small smile in a PM though? I am on the lookout of a used SUV in GGN, of course not in the likes of Q7, but a Montero, nonetheless, a little knowledge never did any one any harm
Oh Sorry .. My bad !! Did not realize the Dubai thingy !!
Hope you got the information/knowledge (?) as requested
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

the status symbol listing is:

Porsche
BMW
Audi
VW

they all have the best safety options available for the passengers.

cayenne, x5 and toureg are 5 seaters and only q7 is a genuine 7 seater.

bmw and porsche service centers in dubai have a waiting of 2-3 weeks. vw and audi have a waiting of 4-6 days.

they all have 15000-20000 kms service intervals, thats almost once a year.

i would suggest you test drive them all before you settle in for your choice.

do buy a vehicle with atleast some dealer warranty on them. these vehicle depriciate faster because of them being premium vehicles.
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hope you got the information/knowledge (?) as requested
Yes I did, thanks! Seriously wish if one of us had more flexibility
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:32   #10
BHPian

OT - zensi, just a question but why didn't you consider the ML?
Old 24th April 2010, 01:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
The Best, you can get would either be the BMW X5(even look for a X6 if you dont have any tall passengers in the rear) or the Porsche Cayenne for you needs, they ticks all the right boxes. Though, I feel the BMW should win because it won't bite as hard as the Cayenne if you ever take it slightly off-the road, Brilliant diesel engine and the service should be better than Porsche. The Q7 too is a good option if you can live with its behemoth dimensions. Yes, In dubai size would hardly bother you, But Off-Roading is complete No-No with the Q7. Also, I've felt the Q7 a bit wobbly at high speeds.

The last thing I suggest you is the VW, Buy one either If you plan to do better off-road trips than the above listed cars or if you come across a really well-maintained V10 TDi. Resale and Brand-Value are the words to keep in mind when you are buying the VW.

I have driven all the cars above mentioned. So, If you ask me a final word, It should be the Bimmer. Anyday !
@Scorcher - thanks buddy - you echo my feel I love the X5 too and its my no1 choice, however the Q7 really attracts me - the equipment list and the looks! Dimensions really not a concern really and like i said - there will be roadtrips - definitely but no offroading.

But i havent test driven half of these yet and im very curious now to check what you mean when u say the Q7 is wobbly?

Im concerned about the service costs and parts availability of the Porsche - nobody i know is giving me any confident answers to these.

Toureg is on the list, since my better half - likes it! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Why don't you add the Range Rover and Land Cruiser to your list as well? If you look around, you should be able to find a hardly used RR in your budget.

My personal favourite is the VW from your list of 4 suv's, as long as you buy the twin turbo diesel. It is one hell of a machine. My first pick would be a range rover, then the VW, then the Porsche and finally the land cruiser or the BMW.
Just dont like the LR/RR - they all look the same to me. Maybe i dont get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen1 View Post
How about considering Volvo XC60. Have great features, but should be worried about A$$ and Bus image.
LOL - no way! I did test drive the XC90 but it didnt really touch any cords.

Quote:
:-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
the status symbol listing is:

Porsche
BMW
Audi
VW

bmw and porsche service centers in dubai have a waiting of 2-3 weeks. vw and audi have a waiting of 4-6 days.

they all have 15000-20000 kms service intervals, thats almost once a year.

i would suggest you test drive them all before you settle in for your choice.

do buy a vehicle with atleast some dealer warranty on them. these vehicle depriciate faster because of them being premium vehicles.
Spot on - Service is very important factor, the cost and the time, that tilts it somewhat in the favor of the Audi. Still hunting for a better X5, Cayenne with warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
OT - zensi, just a question but why didn't you consider the ML?
Im not a merc guy..... somehow it doesnt work for me.

Thanks everyone for your insights - the X5 feels awesome to drive - havent driven the Audi yet though, while the Q7 scores the most on equipment and looks (for me). Cayenne is the most expensive to maintain (initial feedback and understanding - still validating some more), Toureg is almost out of the equation.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Old 26th April 2010, 11:13   #12
BHPian

Zensi,

Comparing a Range Rover to a Land Rover is like comparing a Porsche Cayenne Turbo to a Volkswagen Tiguan ! For your kind of budget, I'd give the range rover some serious thought. At the very least, go to a show room and check one out. The RR sport is much cheaper than the RR, while its a brilliant car in its own right, it just doesn't cut the mustard when you compare it with the Range Rover.

imp!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks