Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I would recommend the Teana .
Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
2. Junk the SUV idea and look for executive saloons like
a. New Nissan Teanna
b. Used Merc E-Class
Another vote for the executive saloon idea. 2 good options as suggested by the previous posters. Add the Skoda Superb to the list.

~foodie
Old 28th April 2010, 17:10   #17
BHPian

@entropy: Will check out the Santa Fe and the Tata Aria, have heard a lot about them.

@Raja: Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the comfort of the rear seating of the Outlander. Will definately have a proper test drive before finalizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
How about another innova with a touch of DC's brilliant interior work.
It does not have a snob value but then what's the point of buying a luxury badge without any luxuries?
From what you have shortlisted:
BMW X1: For 33 lacs ex showroom ( 38 OTR), I doubt it will be worth it. And it will be the basic package. Add another few for the packages.

Fortuner:As you said The rear seat seems to be very bumpy, not as comfortable as the innova.

Nissan Xtrail: Heard good reviews.

New Endeaver: The ride is not very comfortable. Cant comment on new model. The current model with the chrome things looks cheap.

CRV Diesel: No one knows when and if it will be out. Plus I would not be surprised if Honda asks for a 5lakh+ premium for diesel over petrol. And first diesel from the stable.
BMW X1 seems like a distant dream right now. Will seriously consider the Xtrail and the Captiva. Not going to wait for Honda to lauch this. Honda might build reliable cars but i have no reliability of their pre-launch information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I would recommend the Teana .
Now thats a good option to the SUV/MUV. Thanks. I have heard that it is very luxurious and comfortable. Now just have to check if Nissan has a dealership in Nagpur.

@imp!: DC modded Innova, now why did'nt i think of that. Maybe that's why we have Team BHP. Will definately put it across.

@sudev: Will wait til the end of the year for it's launch. Hope it's around that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill22g View Post
CAPTIVA is the car for you my friend
I have one and am very impressed with its back seat comfort.
Yeah will have a detailed test drive of this car. I like the power of this car. How is the reliability?

Quote:
I would suggest following-
1. Used Prado if it falls within the budget.
2. Serious look for non SUV vehicle like
Quote:
How about
1. Used Prado - if it falls within the budget
2. Junk the SUV idea and look for executive saloons like
a. New Nissan Teanna
b. Used Merc E-Class
No used cars. Will be checking out the Teanna. Seems to be a good alternative to a SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
If you are considering DC mods, you can practically consider any SUV/MUV costing upto 15 lakhs. Which would leave you 10 lakhs for doing whatever you want, which would include getting the kind of seats you want. As long as the car has good suspension and cabin space it can be modified to suit your most important critera of rear seat comfort.

This could extend the scope of your choice to Endeavor, Safari and Scorpio as well. Never tried a Scorpio or Endeavor but I have driven a Safari on the roads (or something which used to be a road, probably in the Mughal era) in the interiors of UP/Bihar/Jharkhand, it was a lot more comfortable than the Innova.

You could also wait for the Aria which is going to be pitted against the Innova. I have heard really great reviews about the Aria from two of my friends, a family friend who owns a dealership and another school friend who is working with TML, in new product developement.
Tata Aria seems to be a good product, but no snob value at all, cause it's a TATA. But will still look into it. An aftermarket seating and customization on the Innova sounds good.

Now i have some good options to choose from, the captiva, Xtrail, teanna and a DC modded Innova. Thanks guys.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
@entropy: Will check out the Santa Fe and the Tata Aria, have heard a lot about them.

@Raja: Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the comfort of the rear seating of the Outlander. Will definately have a proper test drive before finalizing.

BMW X1 seems like a distant dream right now. Will seriously consider the Xtrail and the Captiva. Not going to wait for Honda to lauch this. Honda might build reliable cars but i have no reliability of their pre-launch information.

Now thats a good option to the SUV/MUV. Thanks. I have heard that it is very luxurious and comfortable. Now just have to check if Nissan has a dealership in Nagpur.

@imp!: DC modded Innova, now why did'nt i think of that. Maybe that's why we have Team BHP. Will definately put it across.

@sudev: Will wait til the end of the year for it's launch. Hope it's around that much.

Yeah will have a detailed test drive of this car. I like the power of this car. How is the reliability?

No used cars. Will be checking out the Teanna. Seems to be a good alternative to a SUV.

Tata Aria seems to be a good product, but no snob value at all, cause it's a TATA. But will still look into it. An aftermarket seating and customization on the Innova sounds good.

Now i have some good options to choose from, the captiva, Xtrail, teanna and a DC modded Innova. Thanks guys.

I was considering a used Captiva/Xtrail to replace my Innova. I find not having rear AC vents in the Captiva a decided let down. The AC cools well enough, but the vents would have improved the car ten fold (IMO); this pretty much shied us away from the car.
The x-trail is nice, but the rear comfort is a decided let down, especially after getting used to the Innova.
You could also throw the Pajero Sport that is due in the next couple of months into the Kitty, but, I stand by the opinion that a DC modded Innova will be the best bet. Heck, your FIL could even get special ergonomically designed seats for his back if he wishes !
Old 29th April 2010, 11:02   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a similar criteria and I picked the Fortuner to replace my Endeavour. I test drove the Captiva but ruled it out due to the lack of space at the rear in comparison to the former two. CRV is petrol, so that was out again. X-Trail I did not consider as it was again smaller and not that proven. That left me with the Fortuner as my only option, the space at the rear is excellent, ride quality could be better but with the correct tyre pressure you get a pretty good ride, farrrr better than the Endeavour.
Old 29th April 2010, 11:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the DC moded cars, I have some apprehensions:
  1. The modifications, especially the interior, seem to include too much extra materials and hence add to the weight.
  2. In order to create space/leg room, the seats are taken way too much to the back in some cases (ex:Innova), almost making the occupents to sit on the rear overhang. This is not the most comfortable place in a car.
  3. What about the long term reliability? I think there will be all sorts of rattling in the long run.
PS: I dont have first hand experience with DC cars.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodie View Post
Another vote for the executive saloon idea. 2 good options as suggested by the previous posters. Add the Skoda Superb to the list.

~foodie
I was thinking of the superb but i found my Laura's suspension to be a little stiff, i dont know if it is the same with the superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I was considering a used Captiva/Xtrail to replace my Innova. I find not having rear AC vents in the Captiva a decided let down. The AC cools well enough, but the vents would have improved the car ten fold (IMO); this pretty much shied us away from the car.
The x-trail is nice, but the rear comfort is a decided let down, especially after getting used to the Innova.
You could also throw the Pajero Sport that is due in the next couple of months into the Kitty, but, I stand by the opinion that a DC modded Innova will be the best bet. Heck, your FIL could even get special ergonomically designed seats for his back if he wishes !
Will wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I had a similar criteria and I picked the Fortuner to replace my Endeavour. I test drove the Captiva but ruled it out due to the lack of space at the rear in comparison to the former two. CRV is petrol, so that was out again. X-Trail I did not consider as it was again smaller and not that proven. That left me with the Fortuner as my only option, the space at the rear is excellent, ride quality could be better but with the correct tyre pressure you get a pretty good ride, farrrr better than the Endeavour.
Space is not that much of a concern, he can do without the third row seats. Will re=check the fortuner again before i strike it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Regarding the DC moded cars, I have some apprehensions:
  1. The modifications, especially the interior, seem to include too much extra materials and hence add to the weight.
  2. In order to create space/leg room, the seats are taken way too much to the back in some cases (ex:Innova), almost making the occupents to sit on the rear overhang. This is not the most comfortable place in a car.
  3. What about the long term reliability? I think there will be all sorts of rattling in the long run.
PS: I dont have first hand experience with DC cars.
Good points. I myself know no one to check this. Any bhpians who have DC modded cars?

I spoke to my FIL recently, he is very much inclined towards the Beemer. Lets see.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:00   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

You dont have much choice at this price point. You have already ruled out a Petrol, in the diesels the Endeavour has bumpy ride and the popular Fortuner is slightly better but still worse than the Innova, the only choices you are left with are X trail, Captiva and Pajero.

If snob value is not very important buy another Innova.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
I spoke to my FIL recently, he is very much inclined towards the Beemer. Lets see.
At the price point you mentioned, obviously it would be a 3 series. Please be mindful of the fact that it is a driver's car and not to be driven around on rear seat in comfort - the primary requirement mentioned by you.
Old 30th April 2010, 16:05   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If the X3, 3 and 5 series are anything to go by, the X1 will hardly have plush ride quality. Within the SUVs, your best bet is a Nissan X-Trail (good ride, but space is Honda City like) or Captiva. Instead, an Accord / Superb / Teana should be on the consideration list.

Quote:
1. Used Prado if it falls within the budget.
Prado? The ride quality is as bumpy as the Fortuners, especially the previous gen which will fall in his budget.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
You dont have much choice at this price point. You have already ruled out a Petrol, in the diesels the Endeavour has bumpy ride and the popular Fortuner is slightly better but still worse than the Innova, the only choices you are left with are X trail, Captiva and Pajero.

If snob value is not very important buy another Innova.
No he's not looking for another Innova. But i know this car will be perfect for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
At the price point you mentioned, obviously it would be a 3 series. Please be mindful of the fact that it is a driver's car and not to be driven around on rear seat in comfort - the primary requirement mentioned by you.
No, not interested in a 3 series at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If the X3, 3 and 5 series are anything to go by, the X1 will hardly have plush ride quality. Within the SUVs, your best bet is a Nissan X-Trail (good ride, but space is Honda City like) or Captiva. Instead, an Accord / Superb / Teana should be on the consideration list.
Ya i guess he'll have to choose between the X-trail, Captiva, Innova, Superb and the Teana.

Btw is the Teana available in Diesel?
Will keep you guys informed on what he chooses. Thanks for the replies.
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:17   #26
Team-BHP Support

i think it will have to be the teana, it has by far the best backseat in the 20-30lac category.
Old 15th June 2010, 16:41   #27
BHPian

Any update xtremeshock? Recently, read in some magazines and news portals that BMW is likely to bring in X1 by Dec 2010. Your FIL can look forward to it, if not yet made up his mind .
Old 15th June 2010, 19:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Any update xtremeshock? Recently, read in some magazines and news portals that BMW is likely to bring in X1 by Dec 2010. Your FIL can look forward to it, if not yet made up his mind .
Yep, he is finalizing on the fortuner as of now, but the problem is that Toyota has stopped taking the booking of the Fortuner for atleast 5 months, apparently there is much backlogging of orders. He is in no hurry so is waiting for it.
Old 15th June 2010, 23:31   #29
BHPian

Congratulations xtremeshock. With bookings being stopped, the Fortuner must be commanding a very hefty premium. BTW saw a DC'ed Fortuner in ET Zigwheels (i think) the other day. Amazing work done.
Disclaimer: I am not a DC fan, but do respect the quality and finish of the interior makeover he does. And strongly believe he should stop at that.
Old 16th June 2010, 21:51   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

He's given you his daughter, you give him good advice

The Fortuner AT is expected in two quarters. The wait period could actually work in his favour, and I have a feeling he'll love the automatic. With all that torque, there will hardly be a performance deficit either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks