Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 15:35   #1
BHPian

SUV/MUV for Rear Seat comfort; Budget: 25 Lakhs

Hey guys,
My father in law needs a new SUV/MUV to replace his 5 year old Innova which has done over 1.5 Lakh kms effortlessly, and now needs a capable replacement.

Criteria:

1.The problem is that he has a slip disc and needs a soft and comfortable ride.
2. Will be mostly chuaffer driven
3. The roads in Nagpur are quite bumpy.
4. Needs only a diesel. So no CRV.
5. Budget of 25 lakhs.
6. Good snob value.
7. Easy Ingress and Egress

BMW X1: Have been waiting for the BMW X1, but have heard from the BMW showroom that it will cost 33 lakhs on road and dont know much about the ride quality.

Fortuner: The rear seat seems to be very bumpy, not as comfortable as the innova.

Nissan Xtrail: Is it good? Rear seat comfort?

New Endeaver: When is it out?

CRV Diesel: When is it out, is it worth waiting for? or will it be out at all?

Any suggestions in this regard would be very grateful.
Old 27th April 2010, 17:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

When do you plan to get the SUV/MUV? And wont it be easy to get in/out/ravel in a sedan?
Old 27th April 2010, 18:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Nissan should be good.

You could check out the Captiva.
Or wait for the Tata Aria - should be mighty comfortable but may not have snob value.
Or wait for the Hyundai Santa Fe
Or wait for the Skoda Yeti
Or wait for the Outlander Diesel (same Q's here as the ones raised by you for the CR-V)
Or wait for the Pajero Sport
Old 27th April 2010, 18:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
When do you plan to get the SUV/MUV? And wont it be easy to get in/out/ravel in a sedan?
By the end of the year, so yeah i have time. No he prefers a SUV/MUV. Anyways am open to options, any good sedans you can suggest which have good ingress/egress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
The Nissan should be good.

You could check out the Captiva.
Or wait for the Tata Aria - should be mighty comfortable but may not have snob value.
Or wait for the Hyundai Santa Fe
Or wait for the Skoda Yeti
Or wait for the Outlander Diesel (same Q's here as the ones raised by you for the CR-V)
Or wait for the Pajero Sport
Waiting i can do.
Will check out the Captiva and Nissan. The Outlander seems like a good wait, but how long is the question.

Thanks for your feedback guys.
Old 27th April 2010, 19:07   #5
BHPian

I'm also in the same boat as you. Just that I also need 7 seats. I had great expectations with Fortuner but the seating and ride comfort disappointed heavily.

I have finally shortlisted following:
1. A used XC90 D5 7 st version.
2. Santa Fe

Whichever I can lay my hand first I'll buy.

Want to check out following but likely won't buy
1. Montero (Pajero ?) Sport
2. Tata Aria
Old 27th April 2010, 19:56   #6
BHPian

As the Outlander has come up as an option (subject to diesel coming to market) here is my opinion;
I used one extensively last year (petrol version, as part of my job), I don't rate the back seat comfort too high. Under thigh support is quite poor, a nice feature is the reclining back rest. I had a driver who drove me on the highways, in less than one hour of drive, I started getting restless as there was insufficient support.

I suggest whatever cars you finalise on, test drive them for at least one hour with your father in law (or you) in the back seat.

As a comparison, my old E-Class is much more comfortable, now I understand the value of good under thigh support. Sadly I find it lacking in most SUV's as they are designed to be driver orientated vehicles.
Old 28th April 2010, 12:29   #7
BHPian

How about another innova with a touch of DC's brilliant interior work.
It does not have a snob value but then what's the point of buying a luxury badge without any luxuries?
From what you have shortlisted:
BMW X1: For 33 lacs ex showroom ( 38 OTR), I doubt it will be worth it. And it will be the basic package. Add another few for the packages.

Fortuner:As you said The rear seat seems to be very bumpy, not as comfortable as the innova.

Nissan Xtrail: Heard good reviews.

New Endeaver: The ride is not very comfortable. Cant comment on new model. The current model with the chrome things looks cheap.

CRV Diesel: No one knows when and if it will be out. Plus I would not be surprised if Honda asks for a 5lakh+ premium for diesel over petrol. And first diesel from the stable.
Old 28th April 2010, 12:57   #8
BHPian

I would recommend the Teana .
Old 28th April 2010, 13:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
How about another innova with a touch of DC's brilliant interior work.
It does not have a snob value but then what's the point of buying a luxury badge without any luxuries?
From what you have shortlisted:
BMW X1: For 33 lacs ex showroom ( 38 OTR), I doubt it will be worth it. And it will be the basic package. Add another few for the packages.

Fortuner:As you said The rear seat seems to be very bumpy, not as comfortable as the innova.

Nissan Xtrail: Heard good reviews.

New Endeaver: The ride is not very comfortable. Cant comment on new model. The current model with the chrome things looks cheap.

CRV Diesel: No one knows when and if it will be out. Plus I would not be surprised if Honda asks for a 5lakh+ premium for diesel over petrol. And first diesel from the stable.
You know, I was just about to make a suggestion of another Innova with a DC mod. This is perfect IMO ! and the snob value is there. People think oh..its just another Innova, then they realize that its the DC mod. If I ever need a chauffeur driven car just for work, this is going to be it

X-trail is not so comfortable in the rear seat. Just go for a DC modded Innova
Old 28th April 2010, 13:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW X1 is likely to be priced much more competitively - ~25L OTR - if sources are to be believed as it is only going to be a 2WD version in India.

I'd vote for another Innova if that was in consideration.
Old 28th April 2010, 13:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
You know, I was just about to make a suggestion of another Innova with a DC mod. This is perfect IMO ! and the snob value is there. People think oh..its just another Innova, then they realize that its the DC mod. If I ever need a chauffeur driven car just for work, this is going to be it

I will second that. That would be the best option.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:13   #12
BHPian

CAPTIVA is the car for you my friend
I have one and am very impressed with its back seat comfort.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:29   #13
BHPian

I would suggest following-
1. Used Prado if it falls within the budget.
2. Serious look for non SUV vehicle like
Old 28th April 2010, 14:31   #14
BHPian

How about
1. Used Prado - if it falls within the budget
2. Junk the SUV idea and look for executive saloons like
a. New Nissan Teanna
b. Used Merc E-Class
Old 28th April 2010, 16:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post

If you are considering DC mods, you can practically consider any SUV/MUV costing upto 15 lakhs. Which would leave you 10 lakhs for doing whatever you want, which would include getting the kind of seats you want. As long as the car has good suspension and cabin space it can be modified to suit your most important critera of rear seat comfort.

This could extend the scope of your choice to Endeavor, Safari and Scorpio as well. Never tried a Scorpio or Endeavor but I have driven a Safari on the roads (or something which used to be a road, probably in the Mughal era) in the interiors of UP/Bihar/Jharkhand, it was a lot more comfortable than the Innova.

You could also wait for the Aria which is going to be pitted against the Innova. I have heard really great reviews about the Aria from two of my friends, a family friend who owns a dealership and another school friend who is working with TML, in new product developement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks