Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 23:05   #1
BHPian

Scorpio AT: Is it suitable for Leh ladakh?

Guys, want to do Leh Ladakh again in May end this year, was excited as I have AT 4WD, then the thought can in will AT sustain the abuse of Leh Ladakh, what happen in anything goes wrong, what need to be done and what are the precaution that need to be taken for AT in these terrain.

I need your suggestion and confirmation, so I can be in peace at those terrain and instead of worrying about vehicle can enjoy the nature .

My Question are
1> has some one taken any AT vehicle before in the terrain?
2> Know somebody who have taken any AT vehicle without any problem
3> What precaution need to be taken for AT vehicle, remember the AT box can overheat, this is not engine but the gearbox itself,
4> Temperature and altitude effect on AT box
5> Hill climbing and descending with AT box
6> In case of failure what need to be done to tow the vehicle, suppose AT box fails in D mode and not able to move to N what need to be done to get he vehicle towed.
7> any alternative way to "dhaka start" apart from new battery or jump start from other vehicle

these are few question that I have as on now, please pore in your suggestion and experience so I can learn and take a better decision, you don't want to be alone waiting on those terrain!!

-Pramod
Old 7th May 2010, 23:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

in the other pic posted by one of the members in the shifting gears section, i saw indica's and 800 in traffic jams in between the ice walls.
IMO all you need is a vehichle with a GC of minimum 170 mm to do it properly.
Old 7th May 2010, 23:59   #3
BHPian

I have done this circuit last year same time in Scorpio, but that was a manual and this one is AT, I believe the characteristic of both vehicle and internal design are different, it better to know the limitation of vehicle than trying to push it through.
Would like to have pro and cons of AT in these terrian and altitude and whta is possible and what is not, I was thinking of doing Mersimek La as this 4WD AT, but unless I have any clue of how this might turn out to be it would be better left for some other day!!

-Pramod
Old 8th May 2010, 04:21   #4
KMT
BHPian

With AT no push start is possible.
I had a problem on my AT Cherokee when the 4x4 jammed on 4H, the mechanic had to get under it and release it.
In case of emergency if you cant get it in N, you have to chuck it on the back of a lorry.
However I reckon this is a very unlikely situation.
Old 8th May 2010, 07:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Pramod: Since yours is a new vehicle, I don't think it should have a problem, but you'll definitely need to get the clutch checked once back as there are many places where you'll need to revv very hard especially the Changla climb.
Old 8th May 2010, 09:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Pramod dont even think twice!!
Firstly its a suv, + 4wd + new vehicle. Only thing you need in addition to that is self confidence and the feeling of being "Alexander the great".
Go conquer!! Your AT is more capable than you might think. So go and put it to the test. Would love to hear about your 4wd escapades when you get back.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 8th May 2010, 13:18   #7
BHPian

I hope the AT 4WD performs as expected, right now the trip in on and am still planning the places to see and visit. It would still be nice to know how AT will perform in these terrains, I am yet to hear or know of anyone who has done this circuit with AT, this would give a first hand experience but would also put me in some unknown situation too!

-Pramod
Old 8th May 2010, 21:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
3> What precaution need to be taken for AT vehicle, remember the AT box can overheat, this is not engine but the gearbox itself,

I didnt know that AT overheats... I mean the sentence implies that MT doesnt overheat, but AT does.
Old 9th May 2010, 00:28   #9
BHPian

Yes the AT box does over heat, here I am talking about the AT box, not the engine, there are auxilary cooler for AT box, if not OEM then you can install it separately, which will make the AT operating temp cooler. As the terrain would be real tough that's why my question related to AT over heating.

-Pramod
PS: In manual the is no fluid that heats up but in AT the operation is dependent on ATF[Automatic Fluid] and there are too many mechanical part.
Old 9th May 2010, 07:46   #10
BHPian

Ok. Useful info.
I can try that aux cooler for my AT OHC - if there are any; or at least talk to mechanic for its need in my car.

But just fyi... my AT OHC never over heated or felt as if there's any strain on the engine etc. which one might feel in the case of over heating.

Btw Leh ladakh is quite cold. So the ambient temp will take care of such 'over heating' issues, I guess.
Old 9th May 2010, 07:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Yes the AT box does over heat, here I am talking about the AT box, not the engine, there are auxilary cooler for AT box, if not OEM then you can install it separately, which will make the AT operating temp cooler. As the terrain would be real tough that's why my question related to AT over heating.

-Pramod
PS: In manual the is no fluid that heats up but in AT the operation is dependent on ATF[Automatic Fluid] and there are too many mechanical part.
Well you might have overheating especially during steep climbs as the clutch will have to fight to provide momentum. But then I'm sure M&M would have tested the AT in severe conditions. I would suggest contacting BD or Spike for greater clarity on this issue.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:40   #12
BHPian

I an going to take the AT to Himalaya's and see, now the question is has anyone fabricated any skid plate for Scorpio? if yes can they share the design here ?

-Pramod
Old 11th June 2010, 16:20   #13
BHPian

The AT failed at Leh, the ATF leaked and the vehicle came to standstill, the leakage was not from any damage done due to road/no road, but it leaked from the pipe that had plastic and metal joint. I am sure nobody would like to take there AT to Leh Ladhak anymore!!!!

-Pramod
Old 11th June 2010, 16:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Pramod' really sad to hear what happened. I hope that your AT comes back home in its pristine condition.

Could you elaborate a bit more about the functioning and usage of this ATF?

Is it normal gear oil or is there something different? And why a cooler?
Old 11th June 2010, 16:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to read about this, pramods. Any findings on why this leak happened? And which pipe is this? location ? (Hoping that it is not torque-converter leak)

This is very disappointing indeed. Did this happen at some place where it was too steep and you had to rev hard, or was it normal driving all along?

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 11th June 2010 at 16:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks