Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:44   #1
BHPian

My Third Car - much difficult choice than i imagined

I had initially a Santro, then Swift was an obvious choice. No questions, no dilema. it was plain and simple. Swifty - now my old car was the motivation for my new car (some call it the beast). Had no real reasons for selling my Swift Vdi – 2007 (Odo – 75,000kms+). I had also made up mind to take it all the way to Ladakh. The trip was a Mumbai – ladakh trip. But then there was always a lingering thought that I had used (over used) it by far too much a margin. Doing 100kms+ every weekday and the monthly trips to Pune or the Mahabaleshwar, Karad, Rajkot etc. was really clocking the kms on the odo. Though she was faithful - never a whimper - amazing FE of 18kpl in the city (with AC) and the 21kpl on the highway.

But still there was this feeling to move on and graduate. Graduate to a bigger vehicle. Then the motivation for the new vehicle was in direct relation to the price I get for my beloved swifty and the price which I set was a very stubborn price. Did an unsuccessful attempt 6 months back. Renewed the efforts this month and got a sterling price for the swifty.

Next step – was to hunt for “The New Car”

It was an SUV I was looking out for and looking at my constraints I knew there was a Scorpio which was staring at me and waiting to be booked. I liked the looks and was part of the fan following. My wife is as crazy as me about driving, cars, travelling etc. It did not take much convincing for us to schedule a TD. As the date of the TD came nearer, the Scorpio was almost a done deal. A decent TD and the beast heads onto our garage.

TD date arrived - Had a lovely sales person welcome us, she did the usual talking. I just could not take my eyes off her. She was there and yet so far. Now, before we get all dreamy, it was the Scorpio. it was just calling out to be tamed and me and wifey as polite as we could requested the sales executive to get the TD vehicle. No sooner we saw the Military green Scorpio TD vehicle, we were all excited about the experience awaiting us. Almost rudely, I barged into the driver’s seat. I think the sales executive expected us to be sitting in the back seat! We started the TD, like all TD vehicles it had done its bit of swerving, braking and bashing. But yet was in a good shape with a 20,000 odd kms to its credit.

The initial feel was claustrophobic (this was inspite of the fact I had a swifty). The front windows seemed to be oddly smaller compared to the seating position. But then what the hell, had to step on the gas and pull this TD and issue the cheque. Then disaster struck. It was a full blown disaster and we knew that we were in for a really long tardy time.

Last edited by urban_legend : 3rd June 2010 at 18:47.
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:54   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
I had initially a Santro, then Swift was an obvious choice. No questions, no dilema. it was plain and simple. Swifty - now my old car was the motivation for my new car (some call it the beast). Had no real reasons for selling my Swift Vdi – 2007 (Odo – 75,000kms+). I had also made up mind to take it all the way to Ladakh. The trip was a Mumbai – ladakh trip. But then there was always a lingering thought that I had used (over used) it by far too much a margin. Doing 100kms+ every weekday and the monthly trips to Pune or the Mahabaleshwar, Karad, Rajkot etc. was really clocking the kms on the odo. Though she was faithful - never a whimper - amazing FE of 18kpl in the city (with AC) and the 21kpl on the highway.

But still there was this feeling to move on and graduate. Graduate to a bigger vehicle. Then the motivation for the new vehicle was in direct relation to the price I get for my beloved swifty and the price which I set was a very stubborn price. Did an unsuccessful attempt 6 months back. Renewed the efforts this month and got a sterling price for the swifty.

Next step – was to hunt for “The New Car”

It was an SUV I was looking out for and looking at my constraints I knew there was a Scorpio which was staring at me and waiting to be booked. I liked the looks and was part of the fan following. My wife is as crazy as me about driving, cars, travelling etc. It did not take much convincing for us to schedule a TD. As the date of the TD came nearer, the Scorpio was almost a done deal. A decent TD and the beast heads onto our garage.

TD date arrived - Had a lovely sales person welcome us, she did the usual talking. I just could not take my eyes off her. She was there and yet so far. Now, before we get all dreamy, it was the Scorpio. it was just calling out to be tamed and me and wifey as polite as we could requested the sales executive to get the TD vehicle. No sooner we saw the Military green Scorpio TD vehicle, we were all excited about the experience awaiting us. Almost rudely, I barged into the driver’s seat. I think the sales executive expected us to be sitting in the back seat! We started the TD, like all TD vehicles it had done its bit of swerving, braking and bashing. But yet was in a good shape with a 20,000 odd kms to its credit.

The initial feel was claustrophobic (this was inspite of the fact I had a swifty). The front windows seemed to be oddly smaller compared to the seating position. But then what the hell, had to step on the gas and pull this TD and issue the cheque. Then disaster struck. It was a full blown disaster and we knew that we were in for a really long tardy time.

No offense you started well, but your write-up seems to be incomplete. Is there anything more to come ?

Last edited by driving_smartly : 3rd June 2010 at 18:56.
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

I know what you bought. Not bursting the bubble.

What happened with the TD?
Old 3rd June 2010, 19:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I know what you bought. Not bursting the bubble.

What happened with the TD?
Thanks Benny! Let the bubble build. Getting the delivery on Saturday/Sunday. so it aint gonna be that long. Short and sweet!

Wanted to just document my emots onto the BHP Bretheren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
No offense you started well, but your write-up seems to be incomplete. Is there anything more to come ?
Yep there is more to come. Hhad a helluva of an experience heading to my third car!

Last edited by F50 : 4th June 2010 at 05:16.
Old 4th June 2010, 14:45   #5
BHPian

I feel this is a very bad way of writing.
Many use rss reader and a new thread once gone is gone.
My current feeling is like a half done movie.
Old 4th June 2010, 15:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Give the guy a chance! he has left us in suspense for the next episode, but maybe he has other stuff to do as well as posting here --- so we must be patient!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
Yep there is more to come. Hhad a helluva of an experience heading to my third car!
Old 4th June 2010, 16:58   #7
BHPian

Apologies for the delay. Had got stuck with something.

Here goes...

The TD of the Scorpio was done. We stepped out of the TD vehicle and the verdict was pretty much there - Scorpio had disappointed us.

The TD was really upseting to say the least. Somehow the wobling Scorpio was not what we expected. It made the entire driving experience scary! Also, the gears were pretty hard. It was unbelievable for both of us, considering that we had gone with a mindset of game set match and cheque! But still ended up on the losing side!

The good part was that both of us (me+wifey) were on the same page as far as the Scorpio was concerned! We had to move on. That journey started with a reassement of our requirement. We had the Fiesta, City, SX4 blah blah calling us. It was pretty simple, we travel quiet a bit and we knew nothing less than a SUV/MUV would do justice. Now MUVs were also part of our target list. Considering there were not many option befriending us, it was a situation which beckoned us to gather as much courage to decide. The innova was there, the Xylo, we were also toying on the still to be released Tata Aria. Heard about the work in progress on the small SUV from Mahindra. Though these were rumours but that was also part of the radar.

For a brief moment we were pinning our hopes on the Skoda Yeti (provided the sloves decided on a rational pricing). But guess the Slovenians plan to have a premium tag to that SUV. Not to forget, we also took a look at Premier Rio (though that look was as brief as it would be). We were going round round and further around!

Meanwhile the buyer of my swifty was getting all jumpy and wondering when the deal would be done. Also I had to get it done soon. Since I had managed to get a deal done for a vehicle nearing the expiry of its insurance!

Yet to complete it. Not that i want the suspense bit. But need to head back to work else my boss would be onto me..!

Last edited by urban_legend : 4th June 2010 at 16:59.
Old 4th June 2010, 17:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
I feel this is a very bad way of writing.

My current feeling is like a half done movie.
Its funny that when someone well established in the forum like the Yeti does it, it is unanimously fantastic writing but when a new member does it, its suddenly a bad way of writing.

OP please continue. I'm certainly enjoying the narration.
Old 4th June 2010, 17:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ah, nice to see the suspense building up for the new vehicle Urban_Legend. Waiting for the next part.

+1 to Thad and McLaren.
Old 4th June 2010, 17:41   #10
BHPian

more suspense? nice write up. what did you eventually buy?
Old 4th June 2010, 17:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Love this new trend of building up the suspense. (though unintentional by urban legend!)

Wondering if it's still the Scorpio or something else!
Old 4th June 2010, 18:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

I've a feeling it'll be the Innova. But anyone's guess is as good as mine...
Old 4th June 2010, 18:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, its a Safari. I am already feeling the excitement and am eagerly waiting to read this one out. Fingers crossed for a safari.
Old 5th June 2010, 01:05   #14
BHPian

The jumpy buyer of the Swifty, insurance expiring, the thought of 100 kms in a day in train/bus. That was too much to handle for me. We knew it was high time that we take stock of the situation.

The very next weekend, we headed straight into the Tata Motors showroom, though there was a sense of urgency, but yet not the kind of enthu level expected while doing the TD of the Safari, "the great Indian beast". One can say that its the grandpa of the Indian SUV scene.

When we reached the showroom, it was round about 2 pm and the heat was killing, the showroom was even more killing! I think the guys in the showrrom were enjoying a sauna. The bloody showroom had one lone AC chugging away at the corner of the room. the room was almost the size of a mini theatre. When we enquired whether there was a power shprtage or they believed in conserving energy. We were told that the central AC was not working. Since we were at the Grandpa SUV's showroom, we decided to continue with our quest.

We got to the business end of our visit. The usual drill began - got the brochure, the price list and the gyaan and more of the gyaan and much more of the gyaan. It was gyaan which was being packaged and repackaged. The sales guy was trying to look his chirpiest inspite of the environment around us. this was turning into a sub-saharan safari! Atlast the wise guy decided to break the news to us that the TD cannot be done since the TD vehicle had dumped the sub-saharan desert and was at another dealership. 20 mins of gyaan and we had nothing but papers in our hand. I think that was it for the Safari.

Next stop was the Toyota showroom. One thing about Toyota is that when you get in to their showroom, it's a totally different experience. Saw the Fortuner, I again saw it and my jaws dropped. I fixed my jaws and decided that the Fortuner had to wait. Then saw the Innova just beside it. If Fortuner was a brat, Innova was the home bred decent and respectable vehicle. After the courtesies, we were hopping onto the Innova TD and it impressed us. Though technically it is an MUV or in a raw sense it was a big “Van”. Sorry about the adjective, but it definitely gave us a pretty wholesome experience. The drive quality was good. It’s interiors were well done. I was not new to Innova. We had a "long distance" relationship. To be precise it was 1600 kms long relationship. We had all gone last summer to Utaranchal and did the trip in an Innova (Ex-Delhi). I being the tallest and the non-nauseating kind, was confined to the last row of the Innova. But it was the most comfortable ride I had in a long time.

With its reputation, Innova definitely had nothing much to prove, except ofcourse how it handles while sitting in the driver’s seat.The respect for Innova did not dilute even after the TD. It was a good TD, liked the feel of the entire vehicle. Wifey also liked it. We were one satisfied couple. Atleast we knew that something was going right!

Next stop was back to the Mahindra stable. The Scorpio had disappointed us the first time round. But then we had to give it another shot. Inspite of a ruckus of a first impression on the drive front - it was a second chance, which it deserved.

So with all the prejudice back on the shelf, we hopped onto the Scorpio with much less pomp and show. It was a TD which we did and the result was not much to write. I’m not saying that Scorpio is a bad vehicle. Just that it did not work for us the second time too. The Sales person had figured the verdict even before we could tell him. He started pushing us towards his MUV+SUV+Sedan. That was the Xylo. Wifey and me looked at each other and paused and wondered whether we should go through the second ordeal in a day. But nevertheless, since we were already there, we decided to give it a shot. To tell you the truth, I have never fancied the Xylo. Somehow never thought I would be doing a TD of Xylo. The sales person spoke very high of it. Interesting bit was that they guy did not put in as much energy and antiques while explaining the Scorpio. He was definitely pumped up about something about this car Err.. I mean what this "sedan" had to offer. He had no embarrassment to call the 1+ tonne monster a sedan. He was going on with his brilliant performance.

We got the TD Xylo on the road. Let me tell you one thing for a fact. Xylo is a big vehicle. Huge! We realized how huge it was when we sat inside. It was as if the others were all ants (including the Innova). We had to literally look down upon other vehicles to see the passengers in the other vehicle. We started the engine, had a nice smooth buttery feel to it. Revved it up, did the hop skip jump routine with the TD and each km of the TD the “Sedan” was rewriting my mindset I had about it. The pick-up was definitely better than the Innova. It definitely could see through the 2.5L engine. It was a bit loud. But since we had a Swifty diesel, did not find that to be annoying. The interiors were ordinary, but decent enough. The Digital Drive Assist explained by the sales person was pretty good. Intelligent stuff with the kmpl details, the temp outside/inside, humidity, speedometer extension, gear shift status etc. The space was huge. The last row had enough space. I think even more than that of the Innova. Innova had definitely found a worthy competitor. We stepped out of the vehicle and there was sigh of relief from both of us indicating that it was another satisfying experience.

Last edited by urban_legend : 5th June 2010 at 01:07.
Old 11th June 2010, 19:18   #15
BHPian

After pondering for a while we decided. Let me tell you there were a lot of pros and cons to decide upon and this was even more difficult, since we had quiet a few options available for us to decide from.

Ladies and Gentlemen we went for the Xylo - E8 - ABS. Got the delivery last sunday. She is diamond white (but looks more like pearl white). Been driving it from the past 5 days and I'm loving every second of it. Have already clocked close to 600kms! Ofcourse, ensuring that i'm below 2k RPMs! She is a pleasure to drive and one feels like absolutely on top of the world!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed