Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2010, 15:13   #16
BHPian

Hi joshguy,
Being a xylo owner myself. I would suggest the xylo if its for family/comfortable use or a bolero for office/rugged use(construction site visits etc..) The new xylo m2di would also come within his budget range and it is only 12bhp less than the xylo m-eagle which would cost him a bit more. The only negative of buying a m2di is it will be termed as a taxi as it is being marketed for that purpose.
Old 15th July 2010, 15:26   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
XYLO with that center of gravity and tyres is safe with ABS and airbags? Forget ugly.

PS: I am not saying Bolero is safe.
Maybe you disagree, but I feel Xylo with ABS and rear coil springs will handle better and stop better than the Bolero without ABS & with rear leaf springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
The new xylo m2di would also come within his budget range and it is only 12bhp less than the xylo m-eagle which would cost him a bit more.
The M2DI is the CRDe version of the DI Turbo engine and just like the older 3.0 Tata DICOR engine, this is a low revving unit with a limited rev band which. You won't enjoy driving this like the regular Xylo CRDe or the like the 2.2 mhawk/safari vvti.
Old 16th July 2010, 07:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

I was using Bolero with full options of an export model. It was a great car. I had to come down from the hills to city and shifted over to Ritz. I am happy with my Ritz in city. But at times we need a bigger car. To me Bolero looks like a estate or office car. So I feel to go for Xylo. Innova is wonderful but beyond my affordability.Please throw your comments on this confusion.
Old 16th July 2010, 08:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Maybe you disagree, but I feel Xylo with ABS and rear coil springs will handle better and stop better than the Bolero without ABS & with rear leaf springs.
What if there is a Bolero with ABS and leaf springs, will it stop better considering both boosters are same (tandem with same boost ratio)

Spike
Old 16th July 2010, 09:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Innova is wonderful but beyond my affordability.Please throw your comments on this confusion.
You could think of a used Innova (in the 7 lakhs range), particularly if you are going to use the rear seats very often.
Old 16th July 2010, 09:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

the xylo is a better bet for families compared to a bolero.
Old 16th July 2010, 12:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'd this confusion long back; I added Scorp & Innova also to contribute to the chaos; finally I came to this conclusion...
Bolero - To give the rough look, but certainly not for family use & mostly when it comes to driving through small rivers
Xylo - Good VFM, but must consider only E4/E8 variants as Spitfire spoke my mind
Scorp - Good driving pleasure & the one who drives enjoys a lot
Innova - No good driving pleasure; except the one who drives, everyone enjoys

Has you friend considering any used cars in the market? How about a used Qualis or Innova?
I disagree on driving pleasure completely. Apart from the so so power delivery (that can be improved by peteing the Innova), the Innova has the highest amount of driving pleasure among the MUVs in that bracket. I base this on the following points

Driving Position : Car like
High Speed Stability : the best of the lot above
Cornering Stability : best of the lot above
Slalom timing : Best of the lot above though this is the older scorpio engine being tested (see http://www.indiacar.com/infobank/fir..._april06_1.asp)

I have driven all the above cars, currently own an Innova and this is my 2 cents. Of course Innova does not give you the "Towering & Commanding Presence" compared to the other MUVs as it is one of the lowest. The pickup is slightly subdued compared to a scorpio. But the lower seating ensure lesser probability of going belly up.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 16th July 2010 at 12:39.
Old 16th July 2010, 12:37   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
What if there is a Bolero with ABS and leaf springs, will it stop better considering both boosters are same (tandem with same boost ratio)

Spike
Spike my reference to coils springs was for the ride and handling not the braking. Even if you put ABS in a Bolero, I still doubht it will handle better than the Xylo given the dated platform, but then again you are the boss so I won't argue with you on this point.
Old 16th July 2010, 13:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Spike my reference to coils springs was for the ride and handling not the braking. Even if you put ABS in a Bolero, I still doubht it will handle better than the Xylo given the dated platform, but then again you are the boss so I won't argue with you on this point.
Tini, I'm not the boss, I learn from all you guys here! Coming back to your query I would like to mention here that suspension design of any vehicle is all about "ratios" e.g. wheelbase to track, wheelbase to height etc if all these parameters ( I mean the basics) are correct then there is very little that you could go wrong with, ofcourse you can always fine tune/improve. When it comes to Bolero those "ratios" are quite good (and hence that handling with leaf spring setup at the rear)

Spike

PS- I do not say handling of Bolero is very good, but it is definitely better than its siblings.
Old 16th July 2010, 13:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I disagree on driving pleasure completely. Apart from the so so power delivery (that can be improved by peteing the Innova), the Innova has the highest amount of driving pleasure among the MUVs in that bracket. I base this on the following points

Slalom timing : Best of the lot above though this is the older scorpio engine being tested (see Indiacar.com - Mahindra Scorpio)

I have driven all the above cars, currently own an Innova and this is my 2 cents. Of course Innova does not give you the "Towering & Commanding Presence" compared to the other MUVs as it is one of the lowest. The pickup is slightly subdued compared to a scorpio. But the lower seating ensure lesser probability of going belly up.
Well what aargee said suits more to people who drive their vehicle and they use it 80-90% in city and 10% highway. i can bet that scorpio is the most comfortable SUV/MUV to drive in city and all you need for city drive is commanding presence and pulling power. High speed is never required. On the other side if i am more a passenger then i would prefer innova anywhere (both city and highway). Also, if you talk about highway, sane driving of scorpio satisfies many. Afterall 100-120 is the safe speed in India and scorpio is a pleasure to drive in this speed (atleast for me in the new Mhawk).
Old 16th July 2010, 14:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Sorry, but even i disagree.

So apart from buying an already expensive innova, we should spend more money peteing it to make it driveable? in that case, even a peted xylo would beat a peted innova.

i feel xylo is more fun to drive than an innova because the engine is much more tractable.

Quote:
Slalom timing : Best of the lot above though this is the older scorpio engine being tested (see Indiacar.com - Mahindra Scorpio)
by the way, who goes cornering in a MUV? Muvs & SUVs are made for normal driving. and i disagree that high speed stability is good in innova. my innova "floats" on express highways at speeds above 120 kmph. not so in my scorpio.

and this "car like" feel is so overhyped! why do you need a car like feel? i feel a car makes you feel puny & intimidated on our roads. whats wrong in the commanding position of the xylo as long as you are comfortable.

the car like feel of the innova means the dashboard is so high that it blocks your view of the bonnet & this infact is bad in bumper to bumper traffic. whats wrong in a clear view ahead?

Quote:
point is it is not "slightly" subdued! the acceleration & driveability timings of scorpio/xylo is way better than innova.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 16th July 2010 at 14:54.
Old 16th July 2010, 15:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
PS- I do not say handling of Bolero is very good, but it is definitely better than its siblings.
Sibling as in the XYLO? So Mahindra has spend crores engineering a new platform that actually handles worse that a platform that has been around since the Armada Grand showed up about 15 years ago?
Old 16th July 2010, 16:09   #28
BHPian

I would say that Sumo Grande MKII would fit the bill.. I have been driving one for the last 6 months and I have covered almost 14,000 KM as of today. Will touch 15,000 by Sunday evening..

It seats 7 very comfortably. The ac is very good. The ride is good..The handling is decent.. Height of the driver is no issue even for a 6'3" guy..
Till date I have had no body rattles. The only failures have been a faulty door lock and a failed speedometer sensor till date..
Old 16th July 2010, 19:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Will CFLs work well on Bolero
I think Mud Mover has tried CFLs on his Bolero, without much satisfaction regarding the improvements.

I find the engine of the Bolero too noisy from the outside. I do not know how well this noise is insulated on the inside. As many are suggesting, please ask your friend to settle on any of the later models and brands (new or used), which are a couple of generations up in terms of technology and comfort.

He must patiently test drives all vehicles, with a couple of friends sitting in the second and third row seats, on pothole filled roads as well. I did the mistake of doing my TD for my used Scorpio on excellent roads, and all hell broke loose later on bad roads in terms of the ride quality, which had to be tamed with Bilsteins shocks later (mine is the older leaf sprung Scorp).
Old 16th July 2010, 20:21   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest the Sumo Grande only if you plan to take it in the chin when it comes to resale values. In India, vehicles either click and become popular or don't click. If you buy one that hasn't clicked, not matter how attractive the vehicle may seem to you, you will definitely take a hit when it comes to resale. This is definitely one advantage Mahindra vehicles have over some other Indian brands.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks