Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 22:47   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
As a Bolero driver and having driven the 2nd gen Scorp for 1 week and Xylo for 1month, I can firmly say that though the Bolero is more bouncy with only 2 people on board,it becomes much more stable with 4 people. But what I felt that the Scorpio has more body roll compared to Bolero because of the higher height and stance.

P.S: I drive the Bolero Storm which has IFS front and leaf at rear akin to the 1st gen Scorpio.
I perfectly agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
The new gen Scorpio with Independent suspension at rear is not that bouncy as the previous ones with leaf spring.
Bolero is lighter than the Scorpio and its lower CG makes a point or two in handling/braking.
New gen scorpio comes with IS at rear ? Thats news for me

BTW today i TDed the scorpio along with my friend and i felt it had superb pick up.

downside is ....
I felt cramped as i Am 6.1ft
Body roll was too much
Each time i braked the scorpio's rear goes up and down,i didnt like it

But safari is too big to drive in the city and is not as reliable as the scorpio so my friend might go for scorpio base model (bolero ruled out)
Old 1st September 2010, 13:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrsraja View Post
Hi Guys,

Read thru the thread about Bolero/Xylo, but still i am not clear to decide.

My requirements are
  • It will be mostly driven by my father (56 years old). Though he has driven Bolero (provided by his office) and he says he is fine with it, i think for our own purchase, its better to compare with other cars and decide.
  • He should be able to drive to his office as well as to our farm in a village (30 kms from home).
  • Roads overall he would be driving will be combination of good(50%), bad(35%) and no roads(15%). Trafficwise 70% with out traffice and 30% will be inside the city. Location - Tirunelveli(Tamil Nadu) and suburbs.
  • Fuel ecomony is important for us. Inputs from current bolero owners will greatly help.
  • He would be taking farm equipments/plantations at times(not regularly). So rear space is important
  • Should look good. As he will take to office as well, look also matters
  • Budget - 7-7.5L
  • Rarely it will be fully loaded with people. otherwise mostly will be 2 people only.
  • Have to park outside the house. Heard Scorpio is getting stolen a lot.
  • This is a big buy for us. I am not regular car upgrading guy and dont use to invest much on cars.
Actually I was originally thinking of Indica Vista. Vista drivetech comes for 5.5L, then thought why not stretch another 1.5L and go for a Bolero SLX which will suit our usage better. Then saw Bolero Storm and thought why not add another 50K and go for it. Now I am hearing suggestions to go for Xylo/Sumo Grande MKI, saying Bolero is outdated and not comfortable.

Here I am still biased towards Bolero (SLX or Storm). I think its because of the looks & price (when compared to Xylo/sumo grande). I did not like the looks of Xylo and feel Sumo Grande is too big for our use.

I checked the xylo and specifically checked the rear space, because thats important for us to take any farm equipments. I feel the rear space is mostly the same if the forward looking 3 rd row seats are folded in a Xylo and side looking seats folded in Bolero. Please provide your inputs on this.

I am not fluent in auto terms though using a indica turboo for past 5 years.

At times thinking why not go for the Indica Vista itself.

Please enlighten me with your experience and help me decide.

Thanks,
Raja
Hi Raja,

I underwent the same agony doing comparisons and research and test drives on all weekends and narrowed down on Xylo E4 which fits my bill without compromising the creature comforts. Nodoubt its the most VFM product on road now.

Likes : Commanding driving position, all 3 rows are spacious, reasonably good fit and finish, powerful engine

Dislikes : Ingress/Egress to Second row is not the best, interior plastics not up to the mark, braking confidence felt only in ABS version
Old 9th September 2010, 13:15   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
New gen scorpio comes with IS at rear ? Thats news for me
What I meant was multilink with coil spring: anyday better than the leaf springs.
Old 21st October 2010, 21:31   #64
BANNED

Hi Bolero owners,my friend is the verge of finalizing between DI&crde but is worried about maintenance charges

if you people have the last few bills (apart from free services) please refer it and let me know
Old 21st October 2010, 21:49   #65
Senior - BHPian

Don't buy a Bolero VLX now! Please understand.

Spike
Old 21st October 2010, 22:03   #66
BHPian

DI turbo all the way, if he is very much concerned about the maintenance part.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2010, 22:20   #67
Team-BHP Support

I asked this to a trusted mechanic friend of mine.
Between the Sumo Grande and Xylo, which is a better buy.

A very interesting point came up.
The Sumo shares a lot of its engine parts with other vehicles in the Tata stable. The Xylo is an exclusive baby for MM.
This would translate to a lower cost of ownership of the Grande, as independent garages will be able to take over easily once the warranty is over.

This was his point of view. You might want to investigate this more.

Between the Xylo and the Grande, I would buy the Grande if my wife let me do so.
She prefers the Xylo way over the Grande as in her opinion it looks way better.
Old 21st October 2010, 22:33   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

Spike
Spike if you are suggesting something then it should have some reason.if possible let us know in the forum or else PM me sir !

BTW whats happening with THAR Boss?
Old 21st October 2010, 23:01   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I asked this to a trusted mechanic friend of mine.
Between the Sumo Grande and Xylo, which is a better buy.

A very interesting point came up.
The Sumo shares a lot of its engine parts with other vehicles in the Tata stable. The Xylo is an exclusive baby for MM.
This would translate to a lower cost of ownership of the Grande, as independent garages will be able to take over easily once the warranty is over.
Not correct as Xylo shares the drive train with the Bolero VLX just like the Sumo Grande shares the drive train with Safari. Yes Sumo Victa shares a lot of parts with the 407/709 and is a different ball game altogether.

Also the number of Xylo's on road being more, availability of spare parts is much easier compared to Sumo Grande.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Spike if you are suggesting something then it should have some reason. if possible let us know in the forum or else PM me sir !

BTW whats happening with THAR Boss?
Sir you yourself have answered your question. Hope you understand
Old 21st October 2010, 23:24   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Dear me, dear me, this guy from my own State is always making me tense and excited by his laconic messages! Spike, what I gather from your message is any of the following probabilities:

1. There will be a price cut for VLX in near future.
2.VLX 4wd will be available soon(remote possibility, though)
3.VLX is going to be upgraded and relaunched in the first part of 2011(most probable thing)
4. Spike is the partner of a cardiology hospital and he wants us to get admitted there due to cardiac problems developed by prolonged tension.
Spike, you need not acknowledge specifically if the reason for your post is any one of the above( for obvious reasons) but please just give a general affirmation, for us, the underlings..

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2010 at 21:58. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please.
Old 21st October 2010, 23:28   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
4. Spike is the partner of a cardiology hospital and he wants us to get admitted there due to cardiac problems developed by prolonged tension.
Spike, you need not acknowledge specifically if the reason for your post is any one of the above( for obvious reasons) but please just give a general affirmation, for us, the underlings..
If I have understood his statement correctly, its none of the 3 reasons given by you.

Please read my previous post for better clarity
Old 22nd October 2010, 08:45   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Not correct as Xylo shares the drive train with the Bolero VLX just like the Sumo Grande shares the drive train with Safari.
Not really, a lot of things are different. There are 15 versions of NGT530R and around 6 are currently in production, did you know that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Dear me, dear me, this guy from my own State is always making me tense and excited by his laconic messages! Spike, what I gather from your message is any of the following probabilities:

--------
but please just give a general affirmation, for us, the underlings..
Answers are N N Y N.

Spike

PS- Nair Saab, I am not just from your state, but from your district too, PM me.
Old 23rd October 2010, 07:08   #73
BHPian

Quote:
If I have understood his statement correctly, its none of the 3 reasons given by you.
Yes it's the 3rd reason given by me. Spike has nodded.
Nair Saab, I am not just from your state, but from your district too, PM me.

Quote:
Nair Saab, I am not just from your state, but from your district too, PM me.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:49   #74
BHPian

Re: Bolero vs Xylo vs xxxx - The Big Fight

Let me step in and stir the muddled waters a bit more.

I test drove all the three vehicles mentioned here. My brother-in-law plumped for a xylo. In his words he wanted a "family vehicle".

The Sumo was rejected outright as the shape was rather odd.

The Bolero, specifically, the Crde, was a different question altogether. Being an enfield owner, all I had to ask myself was this -- why do I still ride an enfield when everyone knows it is rather outdated ? The answer was quite simple. It does its job, and does it rather well. It looks outdated, has hundreds of problems and yet, on the road, you need to ride it to understand it.

I closed my eyes, ponied up the money for a Bolero Crde. 4 months and 10k kms later, no regrets. Yes, the interior is bland. As for body roll, yes it does exist. But, at the end of the day, a 1000km non stop (okay 3 stops for food) drive all the way from Goa to Chennai resulted in just one thing -- bliss. Now, how many vehicles can boast of that ?

If you have 7 lakhs and atmost 4 people would be using the vehicle all the time, close your eyes and buy the Bolero. Trust me, you will not regret it.

Shyam

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks