Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 22:17   #1
BANNED

Bolero vs Xylo vs xxxx - The Big Fight

HI All

I am posting here on behalf of my friend

My Friend is looking at buying a SUV/MUV within a budget of 7L and vehicles Shortlisted Bolero,XYLO (any other if any)
Looking at either a 2nd hand or new one's

The questions in his mind are..

Are there any -ve's with bolero and what are the general problems
How is the ride in Bolero?
If it is harsh,Is there a way to soften Bolero suspension? and at what cost (will CFLs work well on Bolero)
Can the seats be swapped with some comfortable seat,which seats are those?
What is the price for 2nd hand Bolero? (Ranges)

Now he also needs to know if there are any other choices in the market,the criteria's are

-Should be Comfortable for a 5.9ft person to sit and drive
-Good AC ,Easy to drive
- Should seat 4-6 People comfortably
-Should be easy on the pocket (maintenance)
-Under 7L budget
-Trouble free for long journeys

Looking forward for suggestion and reviews from BOLERO Owners too

Thank You !
Old 13th July 2010, 22:37   #2
BHPian

About the Bolero :)

Are there any -ve's with bolero and what are the general problems
* Ride quality
* Noise (DI turbo is loud)
* People call you a lorry driver
* Hard clutch

How is the ride in Bolero?
* Not that you can compare with car, or for that matter a Xylo, but much much better than a normal jeep

* Some tricks when driving around in the city is to go 1 Psi down that the recommended level

If it is harsh,Is there a way to soften Bolero suspension? and at what cost (will CFLs work well on Bolero)
* Have heard lot good review about bilstein suspension, but that would set you back by atleast Rs 31,000. But then again, I what I have heard is it reduces the sway, and gives you a lot of confidence on the turns. So not sure if it make the suspension soft or if it makes it stiff.

Can the seats be swapped with some comfortable seat,which seats are those?
* There are lot of options, I have seen sparco/recaro replicas to merc benz seats in boleros. Easily sourceable seats would be that of innovas.

What is the price for 2nd hand Bolero? (Ranges)
* hmm, at Chennai? Not sure, but in Bangalore, they are pricey, when I was hunting for a used one, they quoted crazy prices, even a 2000 model, nearing 1lakh kms was quoted at 5lakhs.

* Later I learnt never to shop for a Bolero in a city, always go the towns, there are ones decently priced. Max you would have to change is the clutch and may be the suspension after a few 1000 kms.

…the criteria's are
- Should be Comfortable for a 5.9ft person to sit and drive - Bolero takes care
- Good AC ,Easy to drive – Bolero takes care
- Should seat 4-6 People comfortably – The jump seats aren’t very comfortable for a 5.5 guy, but anything shorter it is manageable
- Should be easy on the pocket (maintenance) – Bolero meets the criteria (Reg oil change/cleaning/ tightening at A.S.S should be around Rs 4000, this is once in 4 months, cheaper if done outside)
- Under 7L budget - Bolero meets the criteria
- Trouble free for long journeys - Bolero meets the criteria (Carry extra fan belt if it’s a used one, most of the other things can be sourced from some tractor or some jeep)

There are lot more ppl around who can fill you with a lot more gyan. Its a Bolero after all.

Last edited by Spinnerr : 13th July 2010 at 22:39. Reason: Heading
Old 13th July 2010, 22:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

@Joshguy, what is the intended use of this vehicle ? How many people, how much travel ? And has he tried MUV's before ?

For a comprehensive review, check out ownership thread put up by @Headers.

It may be a safer bet for your friend to go for the Xylo - esp if family is involved. The Xylo will be far more comfortable & refined than the Bolero.

Bolero's seats can be swapped, but I dont think it is the best bet for family usage. If he specifically wants a Bolero, suggest the CRDe engine version -though it would be hard to find.
Old 14th July 2010, 10:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@joshguy: Please ask your friend to get the xylo. It is more modern, spacious, comfortable than Bolero and can be had with safety features like ABS & Air bags. Bolero is well past it's expiry date and should be bought only if you want a low cost people move in a rural market. I don't think it should be purchased as a family car. The DI engine maybe bulletproof, but the car is a slouch with only 63 odd bhp on tap. The stom maybe okay but everyone who has had the storm on this forum has changed some major parts in the first year or ownership or sold the car in a year.
Old 14th July 2010, 11:12   #5
BHPian

For Me in 7 lac budget :-

1) Xylo (Specious,Comfort,safty (ABS/AirBag) )
2) Sumo Grande (Specious,Comfort,Not sure now its come with ABS)
3) Bolero (Cheap to maintain/front seat comfort/A jeep with AC and PS)
Old 14th July 2010, 11:28   #6
BANNED

"I" think XYLO is ugly. Otherwise its VFM. "I" dont like ugly.
Old 14th July 2010, 11:50   #7
BANNED

Going by your friend's budget, I feel he is better off buying a used Scorpio or a new Xylo E-4. Like suggested by the others, the Bolero is long past its prime and makes little sense as a family vehicle. In fact, one TBHPian, I guess his name is Amit, from Chandigarh had plans to buy another Bolero for his dad who had one for seven years.
After due consultations, he has settled for a Scorpio SLE and is very happy with it and glad that he didn't go for a Bolero.
Old 14th July 2010, 13:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
"I" think XYLO is ugly. Otherwise its VFM. "I" dont like ugly.
I guess the choice comes down to ugly but much better in other aspects vehicle, vs better looking but crude and outdated with no safety features vehicle.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:01   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I guess the choice comes down to ugly but much better in other aspects vehicle, vs better looking but crude and outdated with no safety features vehicle.
XYLO with that center of gravity and tyres is safe with ABS and airbags? Forget ugly.

PS: I am not saying Bolero is safe.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:13   #10
BHPian

@joshguy: Since your friend's requirements fall more in the comfort territory, he can pick up a new Scorpio Lx (May need to stretch a bit) or Xylo E2 or E4. Both of these would offer much better ride compared to Bolero.

He would have many options for price less than 7L in used market, few of them are Safari, Innova, Scorpio and Xylo. Since you want the vehicle which is light on the pockets, it has to be Innova or any Mahindra's. Safari is not a true 7-seater but can be considered.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 14th July 2010, 16:44   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Between the two get the Xylo - much more safe compared to the Bolero and also more comfy
Old 14th July 2010, 19:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
"I" think XYLO is ugly. Otherwise its VFM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Going by your friend's budget, I feel he is better off buying a used Scorpio or a new Xylo E-4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Between the two get the Xylo - much more safe compared to the Bolero and also more comfy
Quote:
@joshguy: Please ask your friend to get the xylo. It is more modern, spacious, comfortable than Bolero and can be had with safety features like ABS & Air bags. Bolero is well past it's expiry date and should be bought only if you want a low cost people move in a rural market. I don't think it should be purchased as a family car.
I agree with all the above statements. As a Bolero Storm owner, I would personally recommend the Xylo or a Scorpio Lx !! The Xylo and Scorp come as a ready-made package of safety+comfort+power, whereas the Bolero will need to be modified as per your tastes to bring it to the required level of safety+comfort+power. Ahhhh! How I envy the guys who have the luxury of deciding between a Bolero and Xylo/Scorp... I've had to drive 45000kms on someone else's decision. 'Married to a Bolero but always lusting for a Scorpio' -- that's me.

Quote:
The stom maybe okay but everyone who has had the storm on this forum has changed some major parts in the first year or ownership or sold the car in a year.
That statement is only 50% true Cheta! I believe in the first year & half, only Milecruncher has the distinction of having changed major parts and only Headers has sold his. There are 2 more of us -- rockyb and me, who are still slogging it out without any major issues (TOUCHWOOD). But that could be because of our sedate driving, who knows.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

I'd this confusion long back; I added Scorp & Innova also to contribute to the chaos; finally I came to this conclusion...
Bolero - To give the rough look, but certainly not for family use & mostly when it comes to driving through small rivers
Xylo - Good VFM, but must consider only E4/E8 variants as Spitfire spoke my mind
Scorp - Good driving pleasure & the one who drives enjoys a lot
Innova - No good driving pleasure; except the one who drives, everyone enjoys

Has you friend considering any used cars in the market? How about a used Qualis or Innova?
Old 15th July 2010, 14:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi joshguy,

Bolero will match him only on his budget, rest of the requirements are no chance. I would recommend the Sumo Grande MKII being atleast 1L cheap than Xylo.

-Should be Comfortable for a 5.9ft person to sit and drive
Good legroom for first and second row and excellent driving position
-Good AC ,Easy to drive
Lowest turning radius in its class, no issues heard with ACs
- Should seat 4-6 People comfortably
7/8 seater option with reasonable space in all rows
-Should be easy on the pocket (maintenance)
Spares and service looks affordable. Good highway FE.
-Under 7L budget
Starts at 6.5L ex showroom
-Trouble free for long journeys
2.2 Dicor should do the job

I was a great fan of Bolero until my marriage. Its far away from family. Good only for an enthusiastic driver, no creature comforts. Very cramped rear legroom and bumpy ride.
Old 15th July 2010, 15:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

joshguy, the tata grande mak II LX fits all the requirement and will cost near the stipulated budget.

Most Viewed