Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:55   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
I am indeed avoiding an SUV. However, my family seems to believe that an SUV is a safer option.
Can't help but ...
Quote:
I fear driving SUV's for longer durations might result in backaches.
Headaches, yes; backaches, no. Whatever else an SUV gives or not, backaches is not on the list (unless one is pushing it - literally!). I've lived with backache for a few years, and changing over from a sedan to an SUV was one decision my back rejoices about. tsk1979 suffers from backache too, but his SUV has also not contributed to making it any worse AFAIK.
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ladies (& Gentlemen too),

No offense intended to the mensfolk. However, I am specifically looking for responses from women drivers of the following vehicles :

Tata Safari
Mahindra Scorpio
Mahindra Xylo

Areas I want to target :

- Handling of these vehicles vis-a-vis sedans
- Driving comfort (important factor considering heavier build of the SUVs)
- Reliability & Maintenance
SM
Hi,

My wife drives the safari on a daily basis in the bangalore traffic. Her views:
1. She thinks that the handling is good but not better than the earlier santro that we had (I am like say what?!).
2. She thinks that it is a little wider than the santro and so it won't be a problem to maneuver in the traffic (I am dumbstruck right now!).
3. As tanveer put on his post: the height adjustment system has been really helpful for her.
4. She is very good at parking and she thinks hasn't had any problems whatsoever! I've had problems more than her!
5. She says that she gets the respect and feels that she is in command all the time when she drives (I don't know whats with women!!).

Now, she doesn't like the scorpio because of the cramped space for the middle seats. She liked safari for it's looks and during the TD from prerna, she drove it like a santro (and I mean it). During the problems that we faced with our truck, it was mostly me taking it to the garage for the repairs. Some niggles will worry you with the safari and if you are ok with going to the TASS on a regular basis, then I guess you will be fine with the safari else, have a look at scorp. Moreover, I think that the scorpio has a better resale value.

Tejas

PS:In one of your other threads, you were of the opinion of women having driving skills which we were same as of a man, but then why did you start off like:
Quote:
Hi Ladies (& Gentlemen too),

No offense intended to the mensfolk. However, I am specifically looking for responses from women drivers of the following vehicles :
Old 6th August 2010, 16:09   #33
BHPian

Hi GTO,

Yes, I agree I am a fan of the C Segment sedans (frankly, I kinow my next purchase will again be in this segment).

I am also closely following the launch of VW Vento (something about the interiors of this car do interest me!!).

First test vehicle will be available in Delhi in early September, so my friend, an employee of VW tells me.

Cheers till then.

SM
Old 6th August 2010, 18:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I agree I am a fan of the C Segment sedans (frankly, I kinow my next purchase will again be in this segment).
Also check out the SX4 and see if it suits you. Its like half car-half SUV. A/T is also offered.
Old 6th August 2010, 18:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Hi,

My wife drives the safari on a daily basis in the bangalore traffic. Her views:
1. She thinks that the handling is good but not better than the earlier santro that we had (I am like say what?!).
2. She thinks that it is a little wider than the santro and so it won't be a problem to maneuver in the traffic (I am dumbstruck right now!).
3. As tanveer put on his post: the height adjustment system has been really helpful for her.
4. She is very good at parking and she thinks hasn't had any problems whatsoever! I've had problems more than her!
5. She says that she gets the respect and feels that she is in command all the time when she drives (I don't know whats with women!!).

Now, she doesn't like the scorpio because of the cramped space for the middle seats. She liked safari for it's looks and during the TD from prerna, she drove it like a santro (and I mean it). During the problems that we faced with our truck, it was mostly me taking it to the garage for the repairs. Some niggles will worry you with the safari and if you are ok with going to the TASS on a regular basis, then I guess you will be fine with the safari else, have a look at scorp. Moreover, I think that the scorpio has a better resale value.

Tejas

PS:In one of your other threads, you were of the opinion of women having driving skills which we were same as of a man, but then why did you start off like:

Hi Tejas,

I don't want to start on it again .I only wanted to say, "the way not all men are good drivers, not all women are bad drivers either".

Having said that, I was seeking views from women drivers because physically women have less muscle mass compared to men. I personally feel this results in wome getting tired more quickly than men.

Found your wife's feedback very useful, which also highlights the fact that I cannot drive over to TASS every now and then.

In this aspect, Fiesta has been absolutely trouble free. Except for minor maintenance jobs during the service itself, I have not faced any problems.

I did test drive the xylo and liked it though.

Warm Regards
SM
Old 8th March 2011, 00:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Views invited from all SUV experts & women drivers

Just curious, what did you end up buying?
Old 8th March 2011, 12:15   #37
BHPian

@rajushank, I finally decided to go in for the new generation Fiesta, whose launch seems just round the corner.

The Safari was something I really liked, but many owners in my group warned me of the small niggles every now and then.

While I was still in the decision making process, I was also considering the Vento. But seems VW needs to really work on their customer orientation.

So the wait continues.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Ah, the new Fiesta. Hope to see your ownership thread soon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks