Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 11:11   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
PS - BTW, the pictures you have posted has done more damage to me than anybody else. Not good not good, no way I can afford a SUV now
Be my guest mate, both of us are at the same location, do you want me to frustrate you even more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Devdath, how many cases have you heard of in recent times where the shift on the fly switch has failed?

We really need to keep moving with the times mate, wouldn't you agree? Even Ford has finally done that & the Endy is finally equipped with shift on the fly. Yes, I know the World War II Jeeps have the manual gear levers & they're the "best" but we do need to move on
Old 5th August 2010, 11:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

I would advise your friend to look at the superb Captiva Diesel or the CRV.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Guys, let's not get into bashing or glorifying the two vehicles. Both are good, and both have their pluses and minuses. Given the needs/wants as the OP stated, it seems that a softroader makes more sense. Why are we getting into discussions about shift on the fly, now that we have some idea about the the buyer's profile?

The first thing that needs to be sorted out is what type of vehicle (SUV) suits the needs/wants better. The Outlander and the Fortuner have little in common apart from being SUVs, and being in a similar price range.

New Novice: are you in agreement about a softroader being a better fit? Have you checked with your friends?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 5th August 2010 at 11:40.
Old 5th August 2010, 12:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
New Novice: are you in agreement about a softroader being a better fit? Have you checked with your friends?
Nilanjanray - It;s not only him. Both of them have begining to understand that it is not a true blue SUV that they need having read this discussion. With this, I can see their focus shifting to softraoders more. Captiva and CR-V's are the options now as well that they have included. In fact, they started off with CR-V but later decided to dump the idea given it's presence and number of years it has been on road. I guess I am now seeing them very close to a decision. I am enjoying it as much as they are. Will let you guys know by this weekend what they eventually buy/book.

@AlokSriva - Does the name sound familiar he he he
You serious? I can risk sleep of many nights for one ride in that Outlander of yours. Is a Gurgaon meet on the cards soon? Or let me know if you plan to go to India Gate late for ice cream at some week end night?
Old 5th August 2010, 12:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Both of them have begining to understand that it is not a true blue SUV that they need having read this discussion. With this, I can see their focus shifting to softraoders more. ...
Will let you guys know by this weekend what they eventually buy/book.
Makes perfect sense given the requirements your friend has.
Over and above everything else, with CR-V, one needs to watch out for the low GC.

Quote:
@AlokSriva - Does the name sound familiar he he he
You serious? I can risk sleep of many nights for one ride in that Outlander of yours. Is a Gurgaon meet on the cards soon? Or let me know if you plan to go to India Gate late for ice cream at some week end night?
Sure, let's organize a Gurgaon meet sometime later this month. Am starting a new thread in the meets section for this.

EDIT - here's the linky for proposed meet http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...th-august.html

Last edited by AlokSriva : 5th August 2010 at 13:02.
Old 5th August 2010, 13:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

- Sophistication, comfort, hi-end ICE, driving fun, Decent level of Equipment - Outlander
- Butcher Look, Reliability, resale value, brand name - Fortuner.
-Finally, you decide.
Here at least in Chennai, most of the politicians, real estate guys, and the likes have switched to Fortuners, who were earlier riding (not driving) Pajeros. Many of them have party flags.
Outlander? Most of the young celebs in Cinema field own an Outlander. Actor Vijay, Music director Harris Jayaraj etc. to name a few.
So, Imagine you arrive in a decent 3 Star hotel, dropping down your family at the foyer and you ask the bellboy where is the parking, he answers you back 'You have to go outside' - OR - 'We have valet parking Sir, please give me the keys Sir'.
The first one probable in a Fortuner and Second possible in an Outlander.
Technically, well, lots of confusions created already and for mostly city driving, either one is good enough.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 5th August 2010 at 13:10.
Old 5th August 2010, 13:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
- Sophistication, comfort, hi-end ICE, driving fun, Decent level of Equipment - Outlander
- Butcher Look, Reliability, resale value, brand name - Fortuner.
-Finally, you decide.
Well said. Would want to add that the Outlander sold in India has the same specification as those sold outside India - no cost cutting there a la Fortuner (to give an example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
So, Imagine you arrive in a decent 3 Star hotel, dropping down your family at the foyer and you ask the bellboy where is the parking, he answers you back 'You have to go outside' - OR - 'We have valet parking Sir, please give me the keys Sir'.
The first one probable in a Fortuner and Second possible in an Outlander.
Now that's a typical stereotyping.

Anyway, this is one thing I avoid under all circumstances - handing over the keys of my cars to valets/parking attendants. This has caused me some inconvenience on a few occasions but I am willing to undergo that rather than having my beloveds being ripped behind my back or see a scratch/dent next morning and being unable to do anything about it.
You ought to see how these valets drive the moment owner is out of sight!!
Old 5th August 2010, 13:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Makes perfect sense given the requirements your friend has.
Over and above everything else, with CR-V, one needs to watch out for the low GC.
They had infact started off with a CRV and one of the two reasons they moved on (one being it's presence on road and age) was the low GC. The wife was (and probably still is) hooked to CRV as she belives its the most elegant looking "SUV" being driven by a lady and second in list in terms of looks (and strictly looks as by now you already know why she is against outlander) is an Outlander.

They knocked off Fortuners and Scorpios for the same reason.

Why do I get a feeling that it is going to be something between Captiva/Outlander/CRV now

PS - she checked these pages a while back and had called me up to say that it is a conspiracy and I have build up a case for her husband where even her opinion is taking a dive towards outlander
Old 5th August 2010, 13:55   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Devdath, how many cases have you heard of in recent times where the shift on the fly switch has failed?

We really need to keep moving with the times mate, wouldn't you agree? Even Ford has finally done that & the Endy is finally equipped with shift on the fly. Yes, I know the World War II Jeeps have the manual gear levers & they're the "best" but we do need to move on
Completely agree with you Suman. But tell me, why do seasoned off roaders and cross continental travellers prefer the stick shifters then?
Probably because, the "modern" electronic gizmos, like you mentioned are yet not the "best" which the stick shifter is though they are modern, in the sense of the word.

I d prefer the "best" over modern any day. Wot say?
Old 5th August 2010, 14:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
But tell me, why do seasoned off roaders and cross continental travellers prefer the stick shifters then?
When you say seasoned off-roaders, I hope you're not referring to the Jeep Clubs? They really don't have a choice, do they?

And when you talk about cross continental travellers, who exactly are you referring to? As long as you don't have a high percentage (heck, even low percentage) of failures for a particular item, how do you label it as unreliable?

Does the failure of one Scorpio Automatic 4x4 in Ladakh mean that all Auto boxes are unreliable? Not to my mind

Last edited by suman : 5th August 2010 at 14:21.
Old 5th August 2010, 14:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

I think the Captiva deserves to be considered here. Not a proper SUV, but a good punchy diesel engine, very nice interiors and even the exterior looks are, according to me, very dignified and classy, without being too soft. GM's A.S.S. has improved over the years, and the only downer here might be the resale value.

Else, between the two mentioned here, I'd go for the Outlander over the Fortuner unless Diesel was a requirement.
Old 5th August 2010, 14:39   #42
BHPian

Quote:
The wife was (and probably still is) hooked to CRV as she belives its the most elegant looking "SUV" being driven by a lady and second in list in terms of looks (and strictly looks as by now you already know why she is against outlander) is an Outlander.
In that case she should have a look at my wife driving the Outlander

Quote:
Why do I get a feeling that it is going to be something between Captiva/Outlander/CRV now
I test drove the Captiva AT too and found it to be pretty lethargic! It just won't pick speed.. maybe I was comparing it with a 3L Endy AT (Captiva has a 2L engine). I had tested these vehicles back-to-back while I was in the market for my SUV/crossover.

Oh, did I mention that Mitsubishi too produces driver oriented cars the same way Ford does?

Last edited by AlokSriva : 5th August 2010 at 14:41.
Old 5th August 2010, 14:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
They knocked off Fortuners and Scorpios for the same reason.
Sorry, I meant Endy and Scorpio here and not Fortuner and Scorpi.

@AlokSriva - Man, Mitshubishi should use this thread and take you as brand ambasdor. I am not sure about this friend of mine but if I had money you have almost made me spend that on Outlander right away.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:03   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thank you

Quote:
They had infact started off with a CRV and one of the two reasons they moved on (one being it's presence on road and age) was the low GC. The wife was (and probably still is) hooked to CRV as she belives its the most elegant looking "SUV" being driven by a lady and second in list in terms of looks (and strictly looks as by now you already know why she is against outlander) is an Outlander.
Well have they seen the price of a CRV? 25l ex showroom is utterly ridiculous. Now you know why it has stopped selling. When for 5 lacs less you get so much more why would anyone buy a CRV.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:04   #45
~~h
BHPian

Should buy Fortuner if he's looking for peace of mind. cos'
- It's a Toyota.
- Wife doesn't dislike it.

Most Viewed