Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 19:38   #16
BHPian

hello Team BHPians kudos for the Scorpio guyz,
it has its own merits and demerits i think i can comment a bit on this sweet heart of mine after driving it for the past 6 years and 1.5L Kms and now owning the 3rd scorpio a VLX with airbag..8 seater with 3rd row bench seats.

Dear AK916 for your requirements

1. Innova is costlier than scorpio if you need ABS only V series in innova comes with ABS and Airbags which is 14.5 L so scorpio SLE settles it for 10 L

The best bet will be Scorpio SLE with ABS with the 10L budget.

Have Scorpio for
1. The ultimate driving pleasure SUV in its price band.
2. Peppy engine , lower maintenance cost than Safari
3. better maneuverability than the safari.
4. fit and finish is better
against
1, cramped space for 2nd and 3rd row passengers
2. bumpier than the safari

even with the odds i love it
Old 4th August 2010, 20:31   #17
BHPian

Very interesting thread indeed!!In fact with your permission ak, i think i too will be following this thread closely because i have the same budget and felt exactly the same about both vehicles!!Also i will be travelling to Kerala more often than now.I too am willing to wait but i do not think any new vehicles will come soon in this price range!!

I too thought of Innova but for me the budget was again the problem!The ABS version is very much out of reach for me!!Else it was the better option considering all other requirements!!

I have almost closed in on the Scorpio mainly due to the reliability factor and the re-sale!!I do not think performance in Ghat sections will ever be a problem!!
Old 4th August 2010, 20:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

+1 to what 4x4 addict has said. Very few people go for Scorpio with Airbags, as people try to save on that money + they think I dont need it.

Salesman did the right thing of asking for which one, also, I guess he could have asked if its a VLX or non VLX, 2WD or 4WD etc etc.

I am glued on this thread, though going by the comments I feel a scorpio would be the best bet for you ak916
Old 4th August 2010, 21:20   #19
BHPian

Innova (for me) would have been a great choice but for the 4WD (Am focused on Ladakh Trip). ABS and Air Bags are must for me as well. Don’t know how to manage the budget.

I am hooked to the thread for Decision Making.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

@4x4addict and @tanwaramit,

SUV without airbags? Really?
Why would you do that to yourself and your family?

And with the kind of handling (or should I say malhandling) the scorpio exibits, it makes no sense.

And if Scorpio is the foregone conclusion of this thread anyways, then AT is worth trying - it may at least relieve the owner of the deadly transmission whine and gear lever vibrations...Pramod's case in deed indicates the poor level of engineering these companies (Mahindra and Tata) deploy, but if the thread owner is completely closed to other options (buying a good used one, etc) then what's the point of this thread actually? No offense meant - just thinking...
Old 4th August 2010, 22:11   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

And with the kind of handling (or should I say malhandling) the scorpio exibits, it makes no sense.

And if Scorpio is the foregone conclusion of this thread anyways, then AT is worth trying - it may at least relieve the owner of the deadly transmission whine and gear lever vibrations...
I don't know about 4x4addict or tanwaramit, but when I bought my Scorpio, airbags were not an option. I do know airbags are a plus for safety, but I suppose I'll have to trust my driving skills to prevent me and my family from getting killed as long as I have the car (as I've done during over 25 years of driving).

As to transmission whine and gear lever vibrations, I have no complaints yet after 23,000+ km in less than 10 months of ownership. No, I wouldn't swap mine at this point of time for a brand new automatic, even if I got it free.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:13   #22
BHPian

I am surprised no one mentioned the TATA ARIA or the soon to be launched Mahindra 'aria rival'. To the best of my understanding the lower models of those cars should come in within 12 lakhs. Also the thread starter [sorry, forget his name ] mentioned that his budget of 10 lakhs can be stretched by another 2 lakhs. If I were you I would have waited. Also, a Sumo grande does look decent enough when you add alloys, those new matt black plastic bullbars we see on scorpios now-a-days and a neat simple spoiler at the back. I say this because a neighbour has done all this to his [orange coloured?] grande and it looks preettty neat. You might want to consider that as well. The car looked as macho as a swooped scorpio or a safari!
Old 5th August 2010, 07:38   #23
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the opinions on my predicament. I really am going to convince my folks to come with me to the innova TD, even if I have to scam them into it. lol

Maybe, after the TD, they will feel otherwise. I agree with the suggestion that the novelty factor just doesnt last long. The other thing here is that the ABS innova is clear out of my range @ just under 15 lacs OTR. and as suggested by other members here, ABS is a necessity.

Also, I am going to TD the sumo grande. After all, looks are a matter of personal choice and this might look different in the flesh, on closer inspection.

As far as second hand cars are concerned, it is just something the family is not comfortable about. And I have gone that route as well with the discussions at home. Personally, I would love to see the second hand market.

The scorpio sales person is coming home on the weekend with the TD car. The entire family is planning to go out and drive the car on bad roads, congested ones etc.. This TD will be for about an hour this time. I really hope this TD shakes the thoughts of scorpio out so we can clearly think (and head to Toyota/Grande TD). either that, or we are convinced that this is it!

Particular thanks to everyone who commented. we sincerely appreciate that. Also, I am not in on the grapevine and if new launches around the corner, and worth waiting. Please direct me to the appropriate thread/news link etc.
Old 5th August 2010, 08:06   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

@ak916, Between the Scorp & Sumo Grande, I'll say pls stick to the Scorp.

Just for the TD, you could have your parents sit in the 3rd row atleast for some time -just to amplify the feel of any rough rides that may be there. You can do the same with the Innova, so they can compare better.
Old 5th August 2010, 08:55   #25
BHPian

Even i was also searching for the new launches when i was planning to buy a new SUV. 3 cars are in foray
1. TATA ARIA - model released in AUTO EXPO and reviews available its a MUV (they call it a cross over since it has full time all wheel drive) and almost a replica of INNOVA price band 13-14 lacs ex show room add 2lacs for registration and insurance.
2. Mahindra W201 World car a true SUV scoop pictures are out and has been test driven by one of our fellow TBHP members. price 14-15lac ex show room
3. Force Motors - SUV based on a Chinese maker's model photos are out search in motoroids.com cost must be somewhere between 11-13lacs
All these are due for launch later this year or early 2011 .

And 15-20 Plus segments SUVs are going for a facelift

We need to wait since all these models are indigenous development from the indian car makers stable and everyone pretty well knows it takes anywhere between 6-12 months for stabilization of the product and to solve the initial glitches so we need to wait and watch.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I do know airbags are a plus for safety, but I suppose I'll have to trust my driving skills to prevent me and my family from getting killed as long as I have the car (as I've done during over 25 years of driving).
Doc, as you know by now, in the NCR (and most other parts of the country), given the kamikaze nature of some of our road users, our own driving skills may not always help us survive
Old 5th August 2010, 12:01   #27
BHPian

1. It climbed effortlessly with 8 people on board in 42 hair pins of valparai hills. It was my first hill drive and i still couldnt believe how easily i did.
2. i would recommend.
3. stock bulbs are good. others are not required in my opinion.
4. Let it be any vehicle, please don't buy halfheartedly.
Old 5th August 2010, 12:56   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

@ak916,

This a good news - to start with.
Do take your family to Toyota and let them "feel" the ride, handling, etc. Who knows, once they find out how a really well made vehicle behaves, your work may be cut short (and for everybody's good).

Whenever I get inside and drive the Innova/Tucson/Laura/GV...I remember what that American chief says when they capture the german U-boat and try to take the controls inside (in the all time great movie U571) - "hmmm...these bxxxxxds really know how to build a boat".
Old 5th August 2010, 13:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
Innova (for me) would have been a great choice but for the 4WD (Am focused on Ladakh Trip).
You do not need 4WD to do a Ladakh trip unless you choose to venture into the unknowns like Tanveer does. IMHO - please do not let one trip decide the choice of vehicle for you.
Old 5th August 2010, 14:33   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Quote:
BTW, I remember when I called the Mahindra Dealer here in Pune (Silver Jubilee) to enquire about Scorpio prices, the first question the sales guy asked me:

"Sir, with airbags or without airbags?"

That was enough for me to be sent me on my way to buy the Tuscon...

I was not commenting whether we need airbags or not. You asked for a price and the sales person asked you if you wanted the price for the version with or without airbags? The question is what is wrong with that? You post seems to imply that this made you go for the Tuscon? I have re-posted your comment above.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks