Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 04:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Armada Grand

Dear BHPians,
A little intro- I am an orthopedic surgeon from bangalore. Due to social reasons, I am staying in Valliyur in South India. I am attached to SMIMS, a medical college 70kms from my residence. The roads are very bad and cannot be traversed by a conventional sedan. I am currently travelling everyday by my trusty old '97 suzuki samurai bike. I also travel to Bangalore once a month by car ('08 Honda city-NHC).
My plan was to but a diesel car with high ground clearence and great mileage as a secondary car for the family. Also I will be shifting back to bangalore in 2 years, so I'll be selling it off then. I don't want to lose too much on resale.
After much delibration, I finalised on 2 cars, Fiat Adventure 1.9 TDI and Armada Grand. Now comes the difficulty, Both are extremely rare. My wife is inclined to go for the fiat adventure while I'm keen on getting a 4x4 Armada Grand.
I've seen a fiat adventure for sale, but it has been at a garage for a while with electrical problems. Apparently some sensor was stolen and parts were not available till recently.
Today, I saw an Armada Grand, '99 model 2WD for sale. I've attached the pics. Only hitch is that the broker says that the owner expects 2 Lakh which I feel is very high. What would be a reasonable price? And should I wait for a 4x4 model.
Thanks in advance,
Also tips about things to look for would be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Armada Grand-22082010.jpg  

Armada Grand-22082010001.jpg  

Armada Grand-22082010002.jpg  

Armada Grand-22082010003.jpg  

Armada Grand-22082010004.jpg  

Armada Grand-22082010005.jpg  

Armada Grand-22082010006.jpg  

Armada Grand-22082010007.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2010, 08:22   #2
BANNED

I will go straight to my doubts

1) a vehicle with a broker/agent .Not my choice because
A) going to be costly as his charges are added ( usually 10/20 K )
B ) Running history is hard to get
C) Any other reasons hidden ( accidents etc )
D) they do any trick to sell

2) Yhis vehicle looks much much used.

3) Looks like paint job done with other jobs , Not my choice because
A) as the vehicle gets painted the real picture about use/misuse gets
erased ,serious faults & accident dammage gets hidden.

4) Is there any way to check that the vehicle was used as personal car or
a passenger carrier ?

5) Looks like the agent is trying to get a good ' Bakara ' for a well tinkered vehicle

I will suggest that if this is going to be your First Jeep then have a good look with available vehicles , get used to the brand & then make a choice

But in any case Dont Hurry

Yours Sudarshan
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Armada Grand is nothing but a Bolero,with different Body style,it comes with the XD3P engine,and can take a beating.
2L for this seems quite high,it should be around 1.5L or something.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Armada Grand was discontinued way back. There are no more Armada Grands now a days. I have my doubts if it is actually one. Cannot put a finger to it but there is something wrong with the styling. This looks more like the MAXI CAB version of the bolero.
Old 24th August 2010, 12:10   #5
BHPian

This is indeed an Armada Grand. The engine compartment (XD3P, Vacuum assisted brakes - alternator, Power steering and power windows), the dashboard and the front bumprette are give aways. The only vehicle that could be confused for is the Armada, which did not come with any of the above.
The wheel discs have been swapped from the Bolero XLS series. The discs on the Grand were the same as that as seen in the present day's Bolero and the good old Armada (NGCS)
The placement of the front indicators should have been ideally on a smaller bumprette above the bumper, which is missing.

The vehicle looks like it had been through hell and back, albeit with a recent tinker and paint job. It has been thoroughly abused to the core. The 4 wheel drive Grand, came with shift on the fly Brog Warner TC.
Please stay away from this vehicle. Its not worth for the asking price.

Last edited by jeeva : 24th August 2010 at 12:19.
Old 24th August 2010, 19:59   #6
BHPian

My suggestion is to stay away from this vehicle. This is for sale since almost 7-8 months when i was searching for a Bolero. The guy had put up this vehicle for sale mentioning as "Modded like Bolero" I can very well remember this vehicle. By the pictures i can say that this vehicle is used very roughly and you can makeout if you see the interior pictures.
Old 24th August 2010, 20:15   #7
BHPian

Dr, if you are sure of buying a second sale vehicle you should at least allow a couple of months for research and as far as possible buy directly from a first owner.

You have not mentioned your budget, but do remember that cars with dealers are usually marked up and prepped for a sale. In other words, it is simply impossible to estimate the parts that may have been tampered or replaced.

Instead you could start with online research. A number of Bangalore vehicle owners post on sites such as TBHP, Carwale, etc. You will find reasonable second sale examples within your budget, provided you research well.

A Bolero is a good vehicle for rural use, and if you get your hands on a good example, you might end up retaining the vehicle for bullying your way through Bangalore traffic in a couple of years.
Old 25th August 2010, 01:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to you all for the useful input. It just reconfirmed my belief that the vehicle is a bad lemon. Infact only the engine is in good condition. the outside had bean painted but the inside is very poor.I gave a counter offer of 1L and the broker did not agree.
I have been searching for an armada for the past 2 months and have been unable to find one for sale. Couple of owners that I met have no plans of selling.
As for a Bolero, even a 2001 model commands 2L.
My budget is 1.2L I plan to use the vehicle for 2 years and then once I shift to Bangalore/ Chennai, I will be disposing it off. I don't want to lose too much capital on the resale.
Old 25th August 2010, 11:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
My suggestion is to stay away from this vehicle. This is for sale since almost 7-8 months when i was searching for a Bolero. The guy had put up this vehicle for sale mentioning as "Modded like Bolero" I can very well remember this vehicle. By the pictures i can say that this vehicle is used very roughly and you can makeout if you see the interior pictures.
Is this the vehicle you are talking about?
Its not the one discussed here though.

mahindra bolero - Bangalore - Cars - jayanagar - mahindra bolero modified
Old 25th August 2010, 12:20   #10
BHPian

With your budget, please consider a stock Maruti 800. Since you are sure of resale, even a beaten down 800 will fetch better value than bigger vehicles. Running costs and replacement parts are also much more affordable.
Old 25th August 2010, 23:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Uchill, but with the roads I drive in the 800 would not last the first 20 KM. And I have to do 150 KM a day, everyday. The reason I'm looking for a car is that I dont want to damage my NHC.
Old 27th August 2010, 09:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

In Bad roads from what i infer from your post, An armada for 1.5 lacs (Assuming non accident) is a good deal.

Alternatively try buying a "Jeep" for about 1.5 - 2 lacs and will fetch you excellent resale.
Old 27th August 2010, 22:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

thanks scorpio, but I don't expect to be able to sell after 2 years of rough-using it. Will probably have to donate it to my driver or scrap it.
Old 27th August 2010, 22:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
thanks scorpio, but I don't expect to be able to sell after 2 years of rough-using it. Will probably have to donate it to my driver or scrap it.
Look for Jeep and sort from Coimbatore area. Will be easier I guess. Also, a MM will be easier to get and maintain and sell or pimp up!
Old 3rd September 2010, 00:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

I was in Coimbatore for 4 years before going down south. I don't think they are common in Coimbatore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks