Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2010, 15:31   #16
BHPian

Hard Luck...As others have said, the deal was too good to be true.

5 Lacs is at least 1.5 to 2.5 lacs less than the market rates (and a few purchases here) depending on the vehicle condition.

Either the seller was ignorant of the market/was in a hurry to get rid of the vehicle/vehicle was kaput!!!

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 28th August 2010 at 15:32.
Old 28th August 2010, 18:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

I agree, 5L looks too low, I still cant believe that owner can sell it for 5L (for a 2007, 30-40K KMs run vehicle). Somethings missing that can explain why!

When I was looking for Tucson a year back, there were a few available for around 7-8L with 50-60+K kms on it. If I get a good deal, I wouldnt mind going for a decent vehicle as of today.
Old 30th June 2011, 11:15   #18
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson - is it a good buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
One of my Uncle's close acquaintance is selling a 2-3 years old 30K done Tucson (may be Terracan, not sure) for 4-5L. Is this a good deal? The car has been primarily used in Goa & is one of his car collection. This car should be a KL or GA registered one.

What're some of the known issues with the car? I know it was not a good seller in India & not sure what to answer my Uncle as why it couldn't make a good sales here.

I haven't seen the car yet, but considering the fact that, the car passes through the PDI for used car AND the car needs to be reregisterd (if a GA registered one), is this price a good buy?

Please advice. Tks.

It is simply a fantastic buy; if the engine is alright check for compression issues and then you are good to go for 2.5 to 3 lakh kms
Old 1st July 2011, 19:43   #19
BHPian

Hi all,
Yesterday I went to Hyundai Service Center for getting my i20 CRDI serviced. The GM there is a good friend of mine and I inquired with him if any good Tucson is available for sale from his personal knowledge.

He questioned me as to why I wanted to go for a Tucson. I told him that the road conditions are getting worse and worse day by day so I need a compact vehicle with a high ground clearence and since I was happy with Hyundai I was preferring for a Tucson.

He clearly told me that most of the Tuscons available for sale are either the ones which met with an accident or the ones which have run too much. He advised me to strictly stay away from Tuscon as maintaning the same will be as good as owning a White Elephant. This was a very frank and honest suggestion as he is a good friend of mine and a good wellwisher.
Old 1st July 2011, 19:46   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

would love to buy an used Tucson to replace my Scorp
am slightly apprehensive on account of the high mileage vehicles available in the used market though.
8 lacs - 10 lacs in Bangalore for a 5 year old tucson doesnt seem too good a deal when it has done 80K-100K kms already.
might wait for a friend to sell his well maintained relatively low mileage vehicle and then consider it.
else it looks like Ive got to just shut up and wait for things like the Duster to come in.
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
would love to buy an used Tucson to replace my Scorp
8 lacs - 10 lacs in Bangalore for a 5 year old tucson doesnt seem too good a deal when it has done 80K-100K kms already.
might wait for a friend to sell his well maintained relatively low mileage vehicle and then consider it.
else it looks like Ive got to just shut up and wait for things like the Duster to come in.
IMO Tucson & Duster are equals in most of the qualities but unfortunately Hyundai over priced it by more than 25% of its actually value (so is Scorpio). Ideally both these cars (4x4) cannot be priced more than 9.5 lakhs Ex-dealer. Frankly the so called 'loaded' features do not appeal to me. Whats your opinion on valuation of these cars.
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:06   #22
BANNED

overpriced my man - completely
i saw one blue tucson 2006 model today
run 100379 km and showing its age
owner wants 8.5 lacs - will let it go at about 7.5.
discs are rusty, driving seat is torn
front bumper has had a crack covered by sticky tape
rear right side wheel arch has come into contact with something or other leaving a number of scratches on it.
driver driven most of the time. looks like the 4WD works as does the Traction control.
two tyres are due for replacement. the spare and the front 2 tyres are in good condition as is the battery and electricals.
its got a service history at one of the big Hyundai dealers here in bangalore.
engine sounds nice and gear shifts feel good etc
overall an ok car
owner has bought a BMW X1 so is wanting to dump the old Tuc.
I would prefer overall to buy a better looked after vehicle - even from the market place. 7.5 ish seems a decent price but Im wondering if I can find a good one.
Main thing is that the Tuc fits my fat golf bag nicely along with its trolley.
put the seats down and one has a nice luggage space. best thing is that it is hard plastic so easy to clean and keep clean.
yes the Scorp is definitely much larger in terms of boot space but for 2 people the Tuc is just right as an SUV.
nice and plush inside. good safety features and overall driveability in city owing to its compact size and on Bangalore roads its high GC and selectable 4WD are good things to have overall.
I like it a lot - am still considering though.
Am not sure how good the After Sales Spares availability etc are - but it is definitely a good thought to consider an used TUC.
really would love to wait for the Duster but am 100% sure that I will buy one only if the price is fair. If they bring it in at par or above the top end Scorp it may still be worth it overall but to me, it will still seem expensive.
I really wish they would tell us when they are launching and at what price along with the specs and variants that will be made available to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
IMO Tucson & Duster are equals in most of the qualities but unfortunately Hyundai over priced it by more than 25% of its actually value (so is Scorpio). Ideally both these cars (4x4) cannot be priced more than 9.5 lakhs Ex-dealer. Frankly the so called 'loaded' features do not appeal to me. Whats your opinion on valuation of these cars.
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
He advised me to strictly stay away from Tuscon as maintaning the same will be as good as owning a White Elephant.
I own a Tucson which has now crossed 1 lac kilometers and totally disagree with the part that maintaining a Tucson is as good as owning a White Elephant.

I can vouch for the fact that Tucson does not need any more maintenance cost than an Upper C-segment diesel sedan. Parts are reasonably priced and easily available. In fact Tucson shares lots of its parts from Elantra and Sonata parts bin and 90% of the parts are easily available. Even for non-stock parts, I never had to wait for more than 2-3 days.

Quoting cost of some routinely replaced parts for your reference/comparison.

Air Filter:Rs.415
Diesel Filter: Rs.885
Engine Oil Filter: Rs.451
Engine Oil: ~Rs.1200 (OE Oil as filled by A.S.S; 6 liter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
discs are rusty
If you leave the vehicle unused for a few days or weeks, it is normal for the discs to appear rusty. The rust coating will easily scrape off after a few braking.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 3rd July 2011 at 13:19.
Old 3rd July 2011, 17:35   #24
BANNED

so i went and evaluated one more used tucson - silver this time with beige interiors!
good vehicle. 92000 odd km done. well kept. new tyres. started at first go - nice battery and electricals. looks far more worth it than the one I saw in the morning.
at 92k km the engine feels good though not very "tight". good ride. good handling. no untoward noises. good brakes though they are a bit soft-ish. condition of discs etc far better than the one I saw this morning. clutch was nice and soft. decent gear changes. no funny noises.
overall a good vehicle. Nice new tyres - Yokohamas. very good condition. I enjoyed the drive because it is so much more comfy than the scorp over the bumps etc. doesnt sway and make you feel like youre being shaken from side to side.
They want about 7.95-8. I ve said 7 - 7.5 MAX. Lets see whether they are interested. This is from a dealer but a decent dealer.
i like this vehicle a lot and am seriously considering duffing the Scorp if I can get 6.5 or something around that, considering the condition my vehicle is in.
lets see!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd July 2011 at 17:37.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:28   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
I own a Tucson which has now crossed 1 lac kilometers and totally disagree with the part that maintaining a Tucson is as good as owning a White Elephant.

I can vouch for the fact that Tucson does not need any more maintenance cost than an Upper C-segment diesel sedan. Parts are reasonably priced and easily available. In fact Tucson shares lots of its parts from Elantra and Sonata parts bin and 90% of the parts are easily available. Even for non-stock parts, I never had to wait for more than 2-3 days.

Quoting cost of some routinely replaced parts for your reference/comparison.

Air Filter:Rs.415
Diesel Filter: Rs.885
Engine Oil Filter: Rs.451
Engine Oil: ~Rs.1200 (OE Oil as filled by A.S.S; 6 liter)

If you leave the vehicle unused for a few days or weeks, it is normal for the discs to appear rusty. The rust coating will easily scrape off after a few braking.
And the OEM wiper blades (just the rubber not the entire assembly) for Tucson are avaliable for just Rs. 350. Made in Korea! This feels nice - the OEM replacement wiper blades for Skoda Laura are available for Rs. 2100!!!

Some other parts -
Radiaotor: ~Rs.13000
Clutch overhaul: ~Rs.14000
Front Windshield: ~Rs.14000 (Total replacement cost comes to ~17000 with sealant, labour, etc)

Some critical parts can be expensive:
Front axle drive shafts: ~Rs.22000 each is what I was told when I asked casually. The SA told me the shaft boots in the Tuc are real high quality and do not wear out/break easily (when I persistently told him to change those as a precaution to prolong shaft life, my Tuc has done 97K). I tend to belive him from all my experience over last 2 and half years.

Suspension child parts are separately available (lower arm, bushes, shockers, etc).

Detailed bills have been uploaded to my Tucson ownership thread.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 4th July 2011 at 11:31.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:53   #26
BANNED

2 people I know may sell off their Tucsons sometime towards the end of this year or the beginning of next year. reason for delay is that neither of them have been able to find the perfect replacement vehicle as per their needs. none of the present breed of Captivas, Yetis and so on really fit the bill for them - similar to my own dilemma.
hence, for me, it is either wait and watch for the right used Tucson, or wait for one of these guys to decide to sell OR shut up and wait for the Renault Duster whenever it comes.
the more I think about it, the less I am inclined to leap into anything just now - might as well wait and watch a bit - at least another few months before taking a final decision and executing the same!
Old 4th July 2011, 12:59   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

In the meanwhile, what's the spares cost of your scorpio?
Clutch, radiator, suspension overhaul, belts, etc?

WOuld be nice to know if Tucson is really whiter (by margin) of the two elephants :-)

BTW, Tucson comes with 215/65R16 tyres - costing Rs.7000 to 10000 each depending upon the brand (as of today).
Scorpio comes with 235/70R16? How much do they cost?
Old 4th July 2011, 13:15   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
He advised me to strictly stay away from Tuscon as maintaning the same will be as good as owning a White Elephant.
The Disagree with the above statement completely. Tucson comes with the same bulletproof engine as the Elantra CRDi, a well maintained example is good for 2Lakh+ kms. The average service cost is not high at all for a vehicle of this segment. An average service costs 4-5k kms.

The AWD system is known to be reliable too with minimal maintenance. I'd rate the dynamics better than Chevy Captiva, amongst the few Hyundai's which have good driving dynamics.

Most Hyundai Diesels require clutch replacement around 60-70k kms if driven mostly in city, the whole assembly including Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch Plate, Clutch Release Bearing and Labour will cost 12-20k depending on components required.

Any used car which is not maintained well is not worth buying, no matter how low the price tag is. Hyundai has all the service record on their computers, time and money spent at an ASC for verifying the record might save you a lot of money and headache.
Old 4th July 2011, 13:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
BTW, Tucson comes with 215/65R16 tyres - costing Rs.7000 to 10000 each depending upon the brand (as of today).
Scorpio comes with 235/70R16? How much do they cost?
During my search for upgrading my Tucson's tyres, I came to know that Safari, Scorpio tyres are much cheaper; most possibly due to the volume of sales.

I upgraded to 235/60/R16 (Hyundai recommended upsize as listed in the owners manual) and the only other vehicle which shared the same tyre was Suzuki Grand Vitara. Needless to say the tyre was not in-stock at all but the main dealers. IIRC, 215/65/R16 was cheaper by Rs.500 or so per tyre.

Recently had to replace the rear-wiper arm plastic cover (not the wiper or arm) since it was broken by the carwash person. Was shocked to shell out Rs.1900 for that cosmetic cover piece. So far that's the only part which I felt was exorbitantly priced on the Tucson.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 4th July 2011 at 13:32.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:19   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
During my search for upgrading my Tucson's tyres, I came to know that Safari, Scorpio tyres are much cheaper; most possibly due to the volume of sales.

Recently had to replace the rear-wiper arm plastic cover (not the wiper or arm) since it was broken by the carwash person. Was shocked to shell out Rs.1900 for that cosmetic cover piece. So far that's the only part which I felt was exorbitantly priced on the Tucson.
Yes, tyre price can be driven by volumes.

Regarding the rear wiper for Tucson - the entire assembly (plastic housing + rubber blade) is available (and that's priced at 1900). Only rubber blade is not available - the SA was sad to find this in the database and has promised me to come up with a workaround...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks