Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 11:17   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalken View Post
Can you tell what is the top speed DI bolero reaches without much effort and what is the NVH level inside cabin in that speed?
This is what a DI Turbo can do..
This is my friend's 2006 Bolero Sportz DI Turbo..on the ECR to Pondy.
Attached Thumbnails
What would you buy in Nepal?-ogaaagq5yp3pcouujewgipciem26uilnuu0zxs9cutpicntox0ynvzkboigi.jpg  

Old 31st August 2010, 15:01   #32
BHPian

jp2u, petrol price now is 53/litre that is 87 octane, I heard we are going to get 91 octane in 2 weeks in same price

A maruti 800 costs 6.4 lacs INR.

jeeva, Thanks for the pic, Did the bolero reach that without much effort or it was blatant pedal to the floor in long plain stretch.

Last edited by nepalken : 31st August 2010 at 15:03.
Old 31st August 2010, 16:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
jeeva, Thanks for the pic, Did the bolero reach that without much effort or it was blatant pedal to the floor in long plain stretch.
The ECR is a nice wide stretch and yes, it took some effort from the driver.

Last edited by jeeva : 31st August 2010 at 16:13.
Old 2nd September 2010, 23:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
This is what a DI Turbo can do..
This is my friend's 2006 Bolero Sportz DI Turbo..on the ECR to Pondy
Dear friend from Nepal, No Bolero DI Turbo can do 140kms/hour, under any conditions. If you have any doubt, ask any of the JEEP gurus in 4x4 Forum here. Don't get mislead by erroneous meter readings. The maximum speed a Bolero DI Turbo can achieve is 120kmph, and that too only by stressing the engine too much. But offcourse, a Bolero VLX CRDe can go 140kmph and more. However, the DI Turbo is one honest and solid vehicle and you won't repent if you invest on one provided you are not expecting outright perfomance and too much comfort.
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:14   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Dear friend from Nepal, No Bolero DI Turbo can do 140kms/hour, under any conditions.[/left]
How can you so confidently make the claim "No Bolero DI Turbo can do 140kms/hour, under any conditions."? Have you tested it under any conditions or can you give a sound reasoning? Its true that the Bolero is not the kind of vehicle to do such speeds: blame the aerodynamics, engine, gearbox, braking, handling, anything and everything. And as I had said earlier it was on an open wide stretch with scarce traffic..and not that the Bolero runs on this kind of speeds all day long! This Bolero runs on 235/70/R15 on 8J alloys. So you do the maths on the speedo error.

And no one is here to mislead or share something which is not true.

Last edited by jeeva : 3rd September 2010 at 21:27.
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:51   #36
BHPian

(
Quote:
How can you so confidently make the claim "No Bolero DI Turbo can do 140kms/hour, under any conditions."? Have you tested it under any conditions or can you give a sound reasoning? Its true that the Bolero is not the kind of vehicle to do such speeds: blame the aerodynamics, engine, gearbox, braking, handling, anything and everything. And as I had said earlier it was on an open wide stretch with scarce traffic..and not that the Bolero runs on this kind of speeds all day long! This Bolero runs on 235/70/R15 on 8J alloys. So you do the maths on the speedo error.

And no one is here to mislead or share something which is not true)
I never said that you tried to mislead any one . Yes,I have test
driven both the Bolero GLX and Bolero SLE(same engine and gear box that of DI Turbo) and what GLX could do was 125 kms/hour and the SLE 120kms/hour, at the most. Both engines struggled miserably and belched out a lot of smoke at these speeds. Both the vehicles were in prime condition( or I would not have dared to go at such speeds). Just check the topspeeds attained by other BHPians on Bolero and given 5kms for speedo error since youn run 235/70/15 radials, the topspeed won't be more than 130kms /hr.If you are still sceptic, just refer the top speed runs by OVER DRIVE Automotive magazine with Datron speed testing equipment. There is no harm for one being proud of one's steed but one should have an open mind to admit it's limitations. Anyway, it's not a personal matter, is it?
Old 4th September 2010, 10:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
(
I never said that you tried to mislead any one . Yes,I have test
driven both the Bolero GLX and Bolero SLE(same engine and gear box that of DI Turbo) and what GLX could do was 125 kms/hour and the SLE 120kms/hour, at the most. Both engines struggled miserably and belched out a lot of smoke at these speeds. Both the vehicles were in prime condition( or I would not have dared to go at such speeds). Just check the topspeeds attained by other BHPians on Bolero and given 5kms for speedo error since youn run 235/70/15 radials, the topspeed won't be more than 130kms /hr.If you are still sceptic, just refer the top speed runs by OVER DRIVE Automotive magazine with Datron speed testing equipment. There is no harm for one being proud of one's steed but one should have an open mind to admit it's limitations. Anyway, it's not a personal matter, is it?
Nothing personal friend.
And I don't mean to hijack this thread, but just need to clarify certain points. First point is that its not my vehicle, its my friend's. I completely agree with you on the engine stressing part, but what if someone has changed the final drive gear ratio? I really know what the jeep is capable of and its limitations and I don't attempt to do these speeds. Infact, this jeep had an issue with top gear slippage and the GB was worked upon before the trip. The kind of speed was done to check the issue. Honestly, I dont think any Bolero owner who knows his machine would be that interested in 0-100 timings or the top whack. If you are coming to Bangy anytime, I would love to introduce you to the nut behind the wheels of the jeep in question during any of the Bangalore Bolero club meets.
Peace! and now lets move onto what would you buy in Nepal.
Old 4th September 2010, 22:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
but what if someone has changed the final drive gear ratio?
That is a very valid point. If final drive ratio has been changed, then 140 kms/hr may be possible ( compromising on gradeability)on an open stretch of road since the vehicle will get enough time to gather the momentum. But what I said strictly pertains to a stock DI Bolero without any modifications.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is a very valid point. If final drive ratio has been changed, then 140 kms/hr may be possible ( compromising on gradeability)on an open stretch of road since the vehicle will get enough time to gather the momentum. But what I said strictly pertains to a stock DI Bolero without any modifications.
Modified or not. If you drive an SUV at 140 without adequate brakes and ABS it is a recipe for disaster. Bolero DI shines on the low end torque and not at high speed. For high speed a sedan is a better VFM any day.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:11   #40
BHPian

hi considering the prices you ahve mentioned in this thread for the the SUV's from India, Korea and Japan..In my visit early last year to KTH i had quite a few Chinese Manufactured vehicles, like Cherry, i think they even had plans of setting up a showroom for their cars, would they be any cheaper and also offer a capable SUV??
Old 11th September 2010, 16:39   #41
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As far as I can recollect, we can import both new cars as well as old cars in India. Unfortunately the duty structure is skewed, 100% for new cars and 200% for old cars!

New cars below US$ 40,000/ are restricted to a few categories of users, hence only large expensive cars can be practically imported by a normal citizen.
AFAIK you cannot import used cars at all. (In India)

You can directly import any new car that is homologated, however, if you want to import anything that is not homologated then the CIF value of the car has to be above 40,000 USD.

@ Nepalken : From the list that you have given, the Tuscon is a no brainer. Its superbly reliable, the CRDI engine is a delight and the quality is top notch. In terms of safety, its the only one from your list with traction control.

Its a hard wearing vehicle that seems like a steal at these prices (when you compare them to the other cars you put in there).

In terms of equipment, the Safari VX only has a reverse camera and DVD screens over the Tuscon.

Incase you want either of these, its simple to fit.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Crazy prices about Bolero CRDe 4X4 ( VLX ) is available and there are couple of owners on T-BHP itself , So if it is available it can be imported to Nepal.

Apart from initial purchase price you need to consider maintenance costs and availability of service as well. About Tuscon talk to existing owners and what is the maintenance cost for the same.

One advantage for Bolero would be that you can drive to India and get any accessories or modifications done easily at cheaper costs.
Old 29th September 2010, 19:53   #43
BHPian

Thank you all for your inputs, after lots of brain storming, reading the forums, talking to people, and putting budget first, I bought a used Suzuki Vitara 1995 in mint condition for 10 Lacs INR.
Old 29th September 2010, 23:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for your inputs, after lots of brain storming, reading the forums, talking to people, and putting budget first, I bought a used Suzuki Vitara 1995 in mint condition for 10 Lacs INR.
Congratulations man, drive safe.

Happy mile crunching.
Old 1st October 2010, 11:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations.

Vitara is an excellent performer, and until and unless you visit high altitude regularly a petrol vehicle gives better performance and cost less to maintain. Please keep us posted on its performance, better still open an ownership thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks