Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 17:30   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Though a simple question for you - have you ever tried taking a refund from RTO for a vehicle which you are taking out of its jurisdiction and use in another state? Doesn't seem to me, and please feel free to correct/concur with me on this.
Yup, I have. Recently for an Octavia purchased from Faridabad for a friend through a friend. Also, I, for my own vehicles, do not see the need to claim refund from any RTO even when moving them from state to state since the MV Act shields me from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
all the best for your search.
Regarding selling off the vehicle, I am glad to meet someone whose vehicles after serving for all they could/would, won't change hands, but would be scrapped.
I don't scrap my vehicles either. Where did I mention that? I have maintained all of them till date and will continue to do so.

Anyway, we are waaayy off topic here, lets get back to searching XTrails.
Old 27th November 2010, 18:14   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

saw 2 vehicles today

one is Silver Elegance trim 2005 done about 80 K kms. 12 lac he says.
one is black Elegance trim 2006 done almost 90 K kms. same price 12 lacs he says.

what do you guys think of these deals- any good?

4x4, airbags, abs and all the fiddlywiddles including warm seats and leather and blah blah. plus the x trail has nice proportions overall and is a nice turbo diesel which will give one some good years of usage.

any ideas people??

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Just saw a 2006 X-Trail (85 k) for 12 lakhs listed on Carwale.
New one was costing over 26 L, so even the used ones are going to be on the higher side.
Old 27th November 2010, 18:43   #18
Team-BHP Support

The X trail is known for blowing turbos if not properly maintained. YOu need to factor that cost in
Old 27th November 2010, 21:41   #19
BANNED

according to both chaps the cars have been well looked after, have genuine mileage, have been maintained by Shahwar Nissan with full service history and are single owner vehicles -
one dealer is classic automotives who give a one year guarantee on used cars they sell
the other is car world in koramangala - thats also a single owner vehicle in well looked after condition
i personally dont know enough about x trails per se but the prices seem pretty attractive indeed given that both are of the Elegance trim level.
But both are 4-5 years old and have done an average of 16000 -20000 odd per annum on their odometers so is a quote of 12 lacs fair or not?

i also saw the refreshed scorpio today - BS4 4WD MT with ABS AIRBAGs and all the trims (VLX) - 13.45 on road bangalore. knock off about 45-50 grand via discounts and another 15grand via no claim bonus and this can become possible at a price of about 12.85.
Now that seems a very tempting deal indeed given that I like scorpios, the new one has better ride quality and handling in comparison to my 2.8 year old 2.6 Crde.
the new one is very comfy inside in terms of seats and under thigh support and all that.
this has the essential safety features that I am seeking as also 4WD and being a Mahindra vehicle is not expensive to either run or maintain. Scorpios are tough, can take loads of use and now that new mhawk 2.2 engine too which is better than the old 2.6 Crde.etc etc.
And my 2.8 year old LX will fetch me about 6-6.5 ish in the used market as of now I understand. If I do sell I will try to get 7 but one doesnt know till one tries.

Hence, looking at the sheer value package from Mahindra's, would it not be better to simply buy a nice brand new, proven scorp rather than fiddle about with potentially dodgy used vehicles?

what would you guys do?
do share!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The X trail is known for blowing turbos if not properly maintained. YOu need to factor that cost in

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th November 2010 at 21:45.
Old 27th November 2010, 22:21   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@shankar:

I generally don't like to buy high end cars from used car dealers. They are notorious for rolling back the odometer. When I was in the market, the dealers would claim that it is single owner with all service records. However, when you insist on taking the vehicle to the dealer to verify the service claims, they come up with some story or the other.

Secondly, it is never advisable to get vehicles that are CBU. The reason is that all spares have to be imported and ends up becoming very expensive to maintain. I would buy an import only if I or someone I trust knows the seller.

As you said, the price of some of these used vehicles are about the price of a new Safari or Scorpio 4WD. These imports are far superior, however not knowing the past is a big problem in my opinion.
Old 27th November 2010, 22:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hence, looking at the sheer value package from Mahindra's, would it not be better to simply buy a nice brand new, proven scorp rather than fiddle about with potentially dodgy used vehicles?

what would you guys do?
do share!!
I would any day plonk down for a new car.

X-Trail if I am not wrong is a soft roader and not an off roader like Scorpio, as well as being smaller in dimensions and a five seater. On plus side are all disk brakes and a host of safety features and electronic traction control. If I wanted a five seater I would go for the Yeti (with its lower price)
Old 28th November 2010, 06:53   #22
BANNED

@ 4x4addict and Aroy and Ajmat

Thanks very much for your various inputs.

I was simply toying with the idea - the way one does in an idle moment.
One does get a bit carried away with these nice shiny new looking used jeeps and when the price seems very nice, one gets further carried away!
Well - I am glad for your inputs and this is why I asked and weighed the options before leaping into the purchase arena.
Yes I agree totally that used car dealers (for the most part) are dodgybeasts and one cannot entirely trust them. At least if it is from the organized sector one has some recourse but if it is from the un-organized sector, then one has no recourse at all in case one gets a sour lemon!

The Scorpio BS4 4WD 8 seater comes in at 13.45 OTR BLR. 8 seater version preferred because one can remove and chuck away the rear most seats which I dont need and then one can move the second row back a bit to increase legroom.
Plus both me and my dad sat in this vehicle and the under- thigh support is amazing. both in the front 2 seats and in the middle row. plus that arm rest and all those things do make a difference. (I must be getting older, to start valuing things like this in a jeep!)

Knocking some discounts off I might be able to get it at about 12.75 ish on account of having bought 2 cars from the same dealer over these last 5-6 years.

And somehow, when buying diesel SUV type things I would be more comfortable buying brand new rather than second hand.
and other reasons ref Mahindras I have mentioned earlier.

I am anyway going to see these X Trails in broad daylight today - may even take a test drive in them etc. But no committments.

I guess not all these dealers can be expected to be like Mike and Edd in Auto Trader!!

and 4x4addict- a mutual acquaintance of yours and mine in BLR may soon be persuaded to part with his current 5 year old Tucson. he is considering the Yeti. if he does and since I know that he knows how to handle a 4wd vehicle well, then I might make a bid for that Tucson provided it is priced reasonably. will talk 2u off line.
catch you around.

cheers

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th November 2010 at 07:01.
Old 28th November 2010, 10:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I was simply toying with the idea - the way one does in an idle moment.
One does get a bit carried away with these nice shiny new looking used jeeps and when the price seems very nice, one gets further carried away!

The Scorpio BS4 4WD 8 seater comes in at 13.45 OTR BLR. 8 seater version preferred because one can remove and chuck away the rear most seats which I dont need and then one can move the second row back a bit to increase legroom.
As long as you are thinking aloud, why not get the Pajero. In my opinion barring its highway speeds, it is the best 4x4 to have in that budget - Leather seats, ABS, limited slip differential and legendary toughness. The second hand prices confirm its desirability, it is difficult to get a good two year old at less than 16 lac!

I think that the Scorpio 7 seater with two rows of captain seats is the vehicle to go long distance, especially if there are 4 persons or less. Then you can leave the last row bench at home and have a decent "boot".
Old 28th November 2010, 11:21   #24
BANNED

I like the Pajero indeed. But I m not sure I want to spend 15-16 on a used vehicle.

I own a Scorpio 7 seater currently and indeed in terms of luggage space you are right. I find it amazingly large and more than enough for my needs.

But the reason to buy a new one with the 8 seater capacity is that the middle row seats in the 8 seater version can be moved forwards and backwards on the under-seat rails to adjust legroom but in the 7 seater version this forward backward movement/ adjustment cannot be done.

In terms of luggage space anyway whether the vehicle one buys is a 7 seater OR 8 seater one can simply pull out the last 2 jump seats in the 7 seater and the third row in the 8 seater and create extra luggage space.

To me the new 4WD, BS4, Scorpio with ABS and Airbags etc, at 13.45 lacs on road Bangalore, looks amazingly like a top prospect / value for money concept - considering most things in my own personal priority list. And of course the discounts which one can negotiate will bring the price down further.

I m not intending to jump into it today or tomorrow but as of now am doing my research, biding my time and waiting for the right moment of personal comfort, before taking the plunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As long as you are thinking aloud, why not get the Pajero. In my opinion barring its highway speeds, it is the best 4x4 to have in that budget - Leather seats, ABS, limited slip differential and legendary toughness. The second hand prices confirm its desirability, it is difficult to get a good two year old at less than 16 lac!

I think that the Scorpio 7 seater with two rows of captain seats is the vehicle to go long distance, especially if there are 4 persons or less. Then you can leave the last row bench at home and have a decent "boot".
Old 28th November 2010, 11:51   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As long as you are thinking aloud, why not get the Pajero. In my opinion barring its highway speeds, it is the best 4x4 to have in that budget - Leather seats, ABS, limited slip differential and legendary toughness. The second hand prices confirm its desirability, it is difficult to get a good two year old at less than 16 lac!.
Aroy:

By current standards the Pajero 2.8 is a slouch. You will be hard pressed to keep up with our desi SUVs on the highways. Besides the middle row seat is non existant. It is basically a two seater in the middle due to the ridiculousely large arm rests on either side of the middle row seat. It was a great vehicle laid waste by Hindustan Motors. I would consider a Pajero 2.8 only at a price of less than 10 Lakhs. Anything above that I would any day get a new Scorpio or Safari 4WD. Neither of these are *** off-road capable as the Pajero, but you get a lot more advantages in return for sacrificing some off-road ability.
Old 28th November 2010, 19:14   #26
BANNED

yep
you are right there.
compared with present day standards the Paj is quite old and dated.

I really wouldnt mind buying a Safari - if only for the lovely comfort it offers inside. But it is just too big for me to use in city as a daily drive when compared to the Scorpio.

Im getting quite fed up that there seems to be nothing else on offer in the 10-14 bracket which meets my needs.

the latest Autocar or Overdrive or something talks about the Dacia Duster which is supposed to come through Nissan's Oragadam (Chennai) plant - a sub compact type SUV sitting around at about 7-8 lacs. This is the only thing which might be affordable by masses since the Yeti is so highly priced. Sort of a poor man's Yeti maybe. But I m sure it will have the same challenges as the Yeti in terms of effective available space inside and am equally sure it will end up being just a 4 seater.

leaves guys like me with no option but Scorpio or Safari - looks like those two vehicles have more life left in them yet as far as our Indian market goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Aroy:

By current standards the Pajero 2.8 is a slouch. You will be hard pressed to keep up with our desi SUVs on the highways. Besides the middle row seat is non existant. It is basically a two seater in the middle due to the ridiculousely large arm rests on either side of the middle row seat. It was a great vehicle laid waste by Hindustan Motors. I would consider a Pajero 2.8 only at a price of less than 10 Lakhs. Anything above that I would any day get a new Scorpio or Safari 4WD. Neither of these are *** off-road capable as the Pajero, but you get a lot more advantages in return for sacrificing some off-road ability.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: used X-Trails

There was this small and wonderful vehicle out of the GM stable called the Forestor. AWD and powerful too.

I wonder why they stopped its production...
Old 17th December 2010, 16:32   #28
BHPian

OT,
My cousin is selling her X-Trail , Black, 55 k on the odo, single owner. The car is in Gurgaon.
What should be the going rate for the car ? It's a 2005 model !
Old 17th December 2010, 17:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
There was this small and wonderful vehicle out of the GM stable called the Forestor. AWD and powerful too.

1. Ahead of its time in concept.
2. Priced higher than acceptable.
Old 17th December 2010, 20:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

It was essentially a re-badged Subaru Forester. GM sold it's stake in Subaru and hence they could not continue selling the Forester.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks