Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 10:42   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
What Vinay boss, I guess little shocked with Ladakh , I think Adventure can still do more. BTW is it still in Ldakah or you drove it back?

On 4X4 for EX and GX, I will get the exact info from insider TATA tomorrow.
Hey Rajiv, its not a shock of Ladakh rather than the addiction of Ladakh and the need to do things that i cant possibly do on the Adventure or any other Sedan !

I am off to Leh again this Thursday (weather permitting) to drive my car back. Its still in Leh.
Old 27th September 2010, 22:48   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vinay, how about waiting for the Aria's launch before deciding? It's 14 years newer than the Safari and will be way more modern, refined and well packaged. The Aria ain't no SUV, but I think it could suit your purpose. Less than a month to the launch anyways.
Old 28th September 2010, 07:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Yes, for serious off-roading, ABS is not a good thing to have, but no one buys a Safari for serious off-roading.

Can someone care to explain this? How does ABS affect off-roading..
My theoratical knowledge says, after you engage 4 wheel drive you will be slowly over a tough terrain.

I presume one would not face situation to use the ABS.. But how will it interfere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post

On 4X4 for EX and GX, I will get the exact info from insider TATA tomorrow.
Did you get a chance to confirm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Vinay, how about waiting for the Aria's launch before deciding? It's 14 years newer than the Safari and will be way more modern, refined and well packaged. ...
I would suggest waiting 6 months to check this. If you need to buy immediately, go for Safari only..

& my vote is GX 4x4 only.
Old 28th September 2010, 10:22   #19
BHPian

GTO, thanks for your view and i am not in a tearing hurry to buy the car right now. I can wait and i think it does make sense to wait for the Aria launch. i have seen Aria testing on highways and the road presense is immense. However overall, i didnt like the looks of the Aria.

While it might seem absurd, for options, i am also contemplating the Line TJEt as indicated earlier in my posts.

On the balance of things, considering Safari is 15 years old, the interiors specially the switches etc are very very flimsy and the fact that a new 2011 Safari is in the offing (with a new diesel power plant ?) i am leaning towards defering the decision of going in for the Safari. Yes the aspiration for an SUV is still drive and i like the character of the Safari and the tag line "Reclaim your life" tugs my heart like no other car has done before.

It ultimately boils down to logic vs emotion - head vs heart and for me personally, i care a damn for the aircon switches and some plastics here and there. But Mrs feels Safari is very crude for the price.

The decision is killing me and i am as close to the Tjet as the Safari. If its the Tjet now, then the SUV would need to wait for the next 3 years atleast, when my Adventure is ready to retire and hopefully i have saved up for a bigger budget !

So much on buying cars - tougher than choosing a wife !

cheers
vinay
Old 28th September 2010, 14:39   #20
BHPian

this is the verbatim content of the mail i received from Prerna Motors Bangalore on the Safari. The mail clearly indicates that 4X4 is available only in VX model;

Dear Sir/Madam,

With respect to your enquiries about the above said vehicle, we are hereby attaching the brochure and price list of TATA SAFARI for your reference.Please feel free to contact us for any details or queries about the vehicle any time .

Brief on the variants of Safari- India's first indeginious SUV.

SAFARI LX- Power Steering + 4Power windows with expressdown feature + single HVAC + Rear Bottom A/c vents + Electric Mirrors + Rear wash wipe + Beige fabric interiors.
Available in Arctic White , Arctic Silver , Quartz Black and Cycus Grey.

SAFARI EX- ALL Features of LX + Body color bumper + Alpine Music system + Rear Demister + Driver seat height adjuster + Dual ROOF mounted AC
Available in Pearl White , Arctic Silver , Quartz Black and Cycus Grey.

SAFARI GX- ALL Features of EX + Chromed ORVM + ABS with EBD + Alloy Wheels + Dark Graphite Grey Leather and Tan color fabric interiors + Rear ultrasonic parking sensors.
Available in Pearl White , Arctic Silver , Quartz Black and Cycus Grey.

SAFARI VX- ALL Features of GX + AIRBAGS + DVD player with 2 Head rest mounted LCD screens + Reversing Camera assit + Full Dark Graphite Grey and Tan color Leather interiors.
Available in Pearl White , ArcticWhite , Arctic Silver , Quartz Black and Cycus Grey.

Note:- Safari 4X4 option only available on VX variant.

We offer the best prices and the best deals for your vehicles. We also have tie up with various banks and hence provide the best loans options available. We offer in-house insuarance with cashless benefits.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:46   #21
BANNED

Strange because the Safaridicor.com website still lists EX and GX with 4X4 options with the prices.

Anyway if TATA discontinues the 4X4 option on them, they will lose a lot of customers for sure.
Old 30th September 2010, 16:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

^^ +1 to what you said, Dev!

I sincerely hope TATA does not make this wrong move. Rather, they should start giving 4x4 even on the base variant!
Old 30th September 2010, 18:41   #23
BHPian

Sad news indeed. Instead of making 4x4's more accessible to the average SUV buyer, it seems its becoming more and more exclusive with tata now providing that option only on top end models.

Since your budget is 15+ lakhs, maybe you could consider the following. I read a detailed review of the Skoda yeti in the september issue of Autocar(india), and they were all praise for this vehicle both on and off road. Maybe you could try waiting for that as it will be launched in November (source: autocar india).They say the top model will have a Rear Diff lock as well as a Hill Descent Control. The only slight drawback i found from the spec sheet is the ground clearance which is at 180mm (as much as a scorpio). Price expected 16 lakhs.

Last edited by amrisharm : 30th September 2010 at 18:43.
Old 30th September 2010, 19:06   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Since your budget is 15+ lakhs, maybe you could consider the following. I read a detailed review of the Skoda yeti in the september issue of Autocar(india), and they were all praise for this vehicle both on and off road. Maybe you could try waiting for that as it will be launched in November (source: autocar india).They say the top model will have a Rear Diff lock as well as a Hill Descent Control. The only slight drawback i found from the spec sheet is the ground clearance which is at 180mm (as much as a scorpio). Price expected 16 lakhs.
I differ here. The Yeti, though a very good vehicle, is not as spacious as the Safari. Secondly, it doesn't have a 4x4 low ratio transfer case which makes it a kind of softroader. So, theoretically speaking, the Safari has a better 4x4 system. How they perform is something different. Thirdly, the Yeti doesn't look like an SUV. Again, this is very personal. And fourthly, the Yeti is going to be at least 17-18 lac plus OTR India.
Old 1st October 2010, 00:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
Folks,

My requirements /usage is as under.

1. My usage is about 30-35 thousand kms a year, city use would be about 12-15k /annum. My city use is generally restricted to large Bangalore roads. I would continue using the Adventure as the second car for any drives into the main city/smaller roads etc.

2. Love to drive outdoors and would definately do weekend trips, bad terrain driving through ghats, jungle trips with the kids etc and hence this car would give me the ability

3. I am not very particular of the diesel mileage, although i dont like engine sound if its very high

4. I drive all my cars myself and never use a driver. The braking and power needs to be really good and clutch shoudl not be too hard. I dont like excessiver diesel clatter. ( I sold a Palio MJD because of the engine clatter and hard clutch)

5. I am excessively spoilt by Fiat cars in the past, and they are my benchmark for drivers cars. I have owned and driven the Fiat Petra 1.6, Palio MJD and currently a Fiat Adventure 1.6. I also have a Fiat Linea 1.4 Emotion Pack in the family (which to my mind, is not as impressive to drive as the Adventure).

I read his requirement and made the suggestion. I was in no way comparing the Safari 4x4 with the Yeti 4x4 or trying to imply that a Yeti is recommended over the Safari always and for every case. It is more a case of a recommendation for a specific person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I differ here. The Yeti, though a very good vehicle, is not as spacious as the Safari. Secondly, it doesn't have a 4x4 low ratio transfer case which makes it a kind of softroader. So, theoretically speaking, the Safari has a better 4x4 system. How they perform is something different. Thirdly, the Yeti doesn't look like an SUV. Again, this is very personal. And fourthly, the Yeti is going to be at least 17-18 lac plus OTR India.
I agree to all that you have written about the comparison of the two and the features or lack of it. I think you are right about the Price. And that could be the main deciding factor as it probably is a little too high for vinay_ss who has already stretched his budget to 15 lakhs.

Last edited by amrisharm : 1st October 2010 at 00:27.
Old 1st October 2010, 02:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
I read his requirement and made the suggestion. I was in no way comparing the Safari 4x4 with the Yeti 4x4 or trying to imply that a Yeti is recommended over the Safari always and for every case. It is more a case of a recommendation for a specific person.

I agree to all that you have written about the comparison of the two and the features or lack of it. I think you are right about the Price. And that could be the main deciding factor as it probably is a little too high for vinay_ss who has already stretched his budget to 15 lakhs.
I did read the reviews of the Yeti and it looked appealing. However for the price it is going to retail, it doesnt make sense to me. Neither do i have the budget of 15+ nor does it make a value proposition to me. And yes, the space of the Safari seems unbeatable and just awesome !
Old 5th October 2010, 20:30   #27
BANNED

Safari 4X4 Available in EX, GX and VX..Hurrah

Hi All,
This itch was constantly at me for the past few days so I called TML Customer Care a few minutes ago and have a confirmation that the Safari 4X4 is available across all variants other than the LX like earlier.

Phew...
Old 5th October 2010, 20:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi All,
This itch was constantly at me for the past few days so I called TML Customer Care a few minutes ago and have a confirmation that the Safari 4X4 is available across all variants other than the LX like earlier.

Phew...
So i guess its a no brainer now Vinay_ss, you can get yourself a tata safari 4x4 starting from around12 lakhs to 15 lakhs (OTR Bangalore) .
Old 6th October 2010, 15:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
But Mrs feels Safari is very crude for the price.
Vinay - as already suggested by JSL, go for EX 4x4. Out and out VFM proposition. You will save close to 2L over the next available 4x4 option, which is the GX.

Last edited by cool_dube : 6th October 2010 at 15:45.
Old 8th October 2010, 23:57   #30

Vinay,
the heart vs mind tug of war is everlasting.
think t this way, if you buy a sedan now, you wont be buying a SUV for another three (possibly more) years. that would mean losing out on three years of adventure, of fun.

Since 4X4 is available in GX too, why not?

Most Viewed