Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2010, 14:44   #1
BHPian

Safari 4X4 - Heart vs Head

Folks,

After seeing the best and worst of Ladakh in my Fiat Adventure, and having failed to go to the Zanskar valley and a lot other trails owing to the lack of a 4X4, i am finally contemplating to completely stretch my budget and book a Safari.

I am not considering the scorpio, since i dont like the space, body roll and my wife hates the design.

I test drove the GX model today and came back surprised with the gearshift (possibly because my expectations were really low, after having driven a Scorpio of my colleague a year ago).

My requirements /usage is as under.

1. My usage is about 30-35 thousand kms a year, city use would be about 12-15k /annum. My city use is generally restricted to large Bangalore roads. I would continue using the Adventure as the second car for any drives into the main city/smaller roads etc.

2. Love to drive outdoors and would definately do weekend trips, bad terrain driving through ghats, jungle trips with the kids etc and hence this car would give me the ability

3. I am not very particular of the diesel mileage, although i dont like engine sound if its very high

4. I drive all my cars myself and never use a driver. The braking and power needs to be really good and clutch shoudl not be too hard. I dont like excessiver diesel clatter. ( I sold a Palio MJD because of the engine clatter and hard clutch)

5. I am excessively spoilt by Fiat cars in the past, and they are my benchmark for drivers cars. I have owned and driven the Fiat Petra 1.6, Palio MJD and currently a Fiat Adventure 1.6. I also have a Fiat Linea 1.4 Emotion Pack in the family (which to my mind, is not as impressive to drive as the Adventure).

My questions to the big cult of safari users and the others here;

1. At 14.7 lacs (plus some additional fittings like an amp, sub woofer etc - wihch would take it upto 15 lacs), is the Safari a good option. Seriously, its more expensive than a Corolla and almost as much as a Cruze . while i undertand that they are completely different segments of a sedan and SUV, i cant help doing a comparo.

2. Has anyone on the forum tried to change the aircon knobs /vents etc. It is seriously a very very big let down in a car of this character.

3. Any issues on the clutch hardening/diesel rattle or sound increasing with usage.

4. Finally, any sense (Sidindica, if you reas this post, would definately need your inputs) on further reductions in pricing, post the Aria launch.

5. Any concrete news of the Safari with new improvements in the next 3-4 months ?

Also as an update from Prerna Motors, the 4X4 is now going to be available only in the VX model and the Bangalore on road price is 14.77 lacs (no discounts).

As per a circular received by them yesterday, 4X4 has been discontinued in EX and GX versions. Also, i understand that they are discontinuing 3 colors - the red, the golden (not sure of exact name) and the Cycus grey.
Any existing stocks in 4X4 would be cleared and all new production would happen in VX only. Not sure if anyone else has heard this news.

Safari is the only SUV which fits into my stretched budget and would be an affair of the heart to "reclaim my life" which is going through a mid life crisis.

A more reasoned, rational and traditional pick would be a sedan which woudl be definately more affordable and within the budget and hence the options i am considering from the heart to continue the mid life crisis would be a Linea MJD and to a lower extent Linea T JEt.

Any updates /comments would be really helpful to help me decide whether to go with the head or the heart !

cheers
vinay sambaragimath
Old 25th September 2010, 15:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Now that you have decided that you need a 4X4 and since you don't like the Scorpio, you don't have any other choice but the Safari in the sub 15 L category. Yes there will be diesel clatter and yes clutch will become hard after some time (can't expect car like clutch) this is the only option available to you. Unless off course you want to wait for the Mahindra W201.

Oh another thing that would be wise would be not to compare TATA and FIAT products even though they are sold under the same roof. One of them is consistently improving its quality (Dare I say TATA) while the other one has let its QC slip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
Also as an update from Prerna Motors, the 4X4 is now going to be available only in the VX model and the Bangalore on road price is 14.77 lacs (no discounts).

As per a circular received by them yesterday, 4X4 has been discontinued in EX and GX versions. Also, i understand that they are discontinuing 3 colors - the red, the golden (not sure of exact name) and the Cycus grey.
Any existing stocks in 4X4 would be cleared and all new production would happen in VX only. Not sure if anyone else has heard this news.
Now that is NEWS!

May be TML is also emulating M&M in terms of milking its customers.
Old 25th September 2010, 16:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per a circular received by them yesterday, 4X4 has been discontinued in EX and GX versions.
This is news to me - did they show you the circular? It makes no sense whatsoever to discontinue 4x4 in the EX, what would the EX's USP be versus the LX then I wonder? Just the roof mounted AC?

The other question I have for you is - why the VX & why not the GX? I understand the VX has Airbags & a DVD player - in our case, in 4 years, I think the kids tried playing a movie on just one or two occasions & that too didn't watch the full thing. Besides, you can always add on a DVD player if you want.

Airbags - yes, but critical? Hard to answer that one. I know someone who had a mother of a crash in a Fortuner a few months ago - vehicle hit a truck from behind, the bonnet etc took the bulk of the impact but, the Airbags didn't deploy because the impact wasn't on the bumper. Food for thought eh?

[I know I shouldn't be talking because I went for a VX 4x4 primarily because of the ABS, EBD & Airbags but then the GX wasn't there in 2006 & that comes with everything other than the DVD player & Airbags.]
Old 25th September 2010, 17:07   #4
BHPian

I havent seen the Circular, but the guy who came home for the test drive very emphatically told me this. He mentioned about both the updates - color and variant for 4X4.

The only reason i am looking at GX is for the airbags. All other features are the same and available in VX (including ABS and EBD) or not required - DVD player, leather upholstery (i liked it, but my wife didnt like the color etc).
Old 25th September 2010, 17:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only reason i am looking at GX is for the airbags. All other features are the same and available in VX (including ABS and EBD) or not required - DVD player, leather upholstery (i liked it, but my wife didnt like the color etc).
Its actually the other way round but I get what you're saying.
Old 26th September 2010, 11:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Vinay,

I had the TD of VX model a couple of weeks back. I clearly told the guy that I'm looking for GX 4x4. He never told me anything about they are discontinuing the 4x4 from the two varients.
I suggest you check with other dealers as well, unlikely that they will do this while 4x4 is made to order, they dont have to unnecessarily stock them.
Old 26th September 2010, 14:55   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Vinay,

I had the TD of VX model a couple of weeks back. I clearly told the guy that I'm looking for GX 4x4. He never told me anything about they are discontinuing the 4x4 from the two varients.
I suggest you check with other dealers as well, unlikely that they will do this while 4x4 is made to order, they dont have to unnecessarily stock them.

Any variant after LX has 4X4 option.

The new 2.2 Safari engine noise is well damped and you will not hear the clatter in the cabin, My 3L Safari engine noise itself is so low.

GX has 4X4 and ABS with Airbags, that makes it a killer combo

Congratulations on your new car in advance. Do keep us posted
Old 26th September 2010, 17:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I havent seen the Circular, but the guy who came home for the test drive very emphatically told me this. He mentioned about both the updates - color and variant for 4X4.
Do not believe everything the salesmen tell you. He is just simply trying to push you for the top end variant.
Safari is available in 4x4 version in EX, GX and VX trim.

Speak with other dealers before you make up your mind.
Old 26th September 2010, 18:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

If youve zoned in on the Safari. I would suggest buy the EX - 4x4 and save yourself a big packet. Skip the ABS.. its totally useless and quite a pain during 4wd application. Well the airbags are worthwhile but i wonder if they only offer airbags as an option.
So I would say buy the EX 4x4 and use the remaining cash to fit after market fitments(dvd player etc) or whatever else you like.

I think its the most paisa vasool 4x4 option available.

But if what you say about the discontinued 4x4 in the EX & GX, then i think its probably a marketing strategy to push the all wheel drive Aria. But it really sucks, coz the Safari as a 2+ ton suv without 4wd in the mid versions is a very bad option.

Goodluck and hope you enjoy your 4wd Safari which is a very wise option IMHO.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 26th September 2010 at 18:03.
Old 26th September 2010, 18:37   #10
BHPian

well well well. Choice is amazing. Gx 4*4 is a superb veriant. But not quite the vx. If the news you said is true, then its heart breaking for lot of us. Nevertheless, you can still find gx 4*4 if not in bangalore then neighbouring cities. Abs is very imp for this car according to my experience because breaking in panic situation is terrible. But for 15 lakh a safari ? Come on man, no way. You will never feel its worth coz interiors will never give you peace of mind. At this budget you can cash in barely used captiva,fortuner. Since you mentioned its a stretched budget، im sure vfm appeals to you a lot.

But، im sure you will be able gx . Update us by search with other dealers
Old 26th September 2010, 20:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is also good news for existing 4x4 Safari owners. The resale value of the 4x4 EX will definitely go up
Old 26th September 2010, 20:44   #12
BHPian

Thanks for all your responses. Just to clarify on a couple of points;

1. The salesman positively indicated that going forward, 4X4 would be available only in VX model. EX and GX 4X4 is being discontinued. I am yet to check with Concorde on this news. But come to think of it. With the Aria being launched, presumably in the range of the top end VX, it is very likely that TML would possibly discontinue the VX and sell the car only in LX, GX and VX trims, with the 4X4 being available only in the VX.

2. Although a used car makes more sense, i dont have the Vit M to buy the car without a loan and second hand car loans are way to expensive. SBI's rates for a new car is 8% and this in itself has been a great motivation for me to look for a car at this stage.

3. I am so very close to booking a Safari 4X4, but the variant options and price is killing me. For me 15 lacs on road is surely a killer to pay for the safari and hence the question to this forum - whether its worth buying a safari a this price. Although contrary views have been expressed, i believe, for a car of this size, an ABS and EBD is essential. I am not so sure of the airbags though.

The confusion continues :(
Old 26th September 2010, 21:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

GX 4x4 would be my bet. It has ABS, a must have for this 2 tonner, and 4x4.

As for JSL comment on ABS being a no-no for 4x4, I do not agree to it. Yes, for serious off-roading, ABS is not a good thing to have, but no one buys a Safari for serious off-roading.

For a vehicle that will most probably spend a major portion of it life on road, at high speeds, it would be a safer bet to have ABS, than ignore it for the once-in-a-while off-roading slips due to ABS; and also, during off-roading you know the risk you are taking.
Old 26th September 2010, 22:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

What Vinay boss, I guess little shocked with Ladakh , I think Adventure can still do more. BTW is it still in Ldakah or you drove it back?

On 4X4 for EX and GX, I will get the exact info from insider TATA tomorrow.
Old 26th September 2010, 22:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
GX 4x4 would be my bet. It has ABS, a must have for this 2 tonner, and 4x4.
+1. You thread is doing no good sir. no updates

Quote:
Although a used car makes more sense, i dont have the Vit M to buy the car without a loan.

hence the question to this forum - whether its worth buying a safari a this price. (
Well, a used car would not cost more than 7.5. But 4*4 availability is the question is used market.You could also think of Tuscan. My answer to the question is NO.In the worst case, i would pick up gx 4*2.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks