Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 11:35   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
M2Di is NOT a Crde engine. This is a Bolero engine which is doing duty in the budget versions of Scorpio (M2Di) and Xylo.

Please dont compromise if you're looking for comfort, refinement and better tech. The mEagle Crde engine is worth it. Think if you are sitting in the car and want to be driven at a better speed. With that M2Di engine you will definitely get irritated, given the car is quite heavy.
Well, on the brochure it says that the engine in the D2 is the mDI CRDe. The salesman also told me both engines are CRDe.

One of the factors why I am looking at the mDI is because it is less powerful. I hope this prevents them from going too fast. I dont think this car should be driven over 100 looking at its dynamics/handling.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
So guys it seems like I am finalizing on the Xylo.

I am happy with the features offered to me in the D2 version. This version has the DI engine, (which I was under the impression was a Brand new engine, because i thought DI meant Direct Injection.) The other option is the MEagle engine. I didnt really want to go for the Meagle engine as it is quite powerful and I dont want to give my drivers that much power in a car without airbags/abs.

Should I go for the mDI Crde Engine? or is it worth spending a bit more and going for the MEagle Crde?
It might be prudent to check features between D2 and E4 (I think E2 is discontinued) as well. Other than the obvious different engine, some frills are worth the extra money.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:45   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

worth checking this - I might be mistaken so please be absolutely sure before you jump into it!

Quote:
Well, on the brochure it says that the engine in the D2 is the mDI CRDe. The salesman also told me both engines are CRDe.

One of the factors why I am looking at the mDI is because it is less powerful. I hope this prevents them from going too fast. I dont think this car should be driven over 100 looking at its dynamics/handling.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
It might be prudent to check features between D2 and E4 (I think E2 is discontinued) as well. Other than the obvious different engine, some frills are worth the extra money.
Well, other than the engine, the main differences are tyres, seat fabric, body coloured bumpers, foglamps. I dont think those are worth 75k+.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:19   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

when you look at the price premium charged by manufacturers across different variants and when you really look carefully and see the extras that you get for that premium, it makes you wonder whether the manufacturers really think the majority of Indian consumers are fools or what.
i mean you can fool some of the people some of the time but certainly not all of the people all of the time or hadnt they realized this fact?

Quote:
Well, other than the engine, the main differences are tyres, seat fabric, body coloured bumpers, foglamps. I dont think those are worth 75k+.
Old 16th October 2010, 01:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Like others here I too feel that the Xylo is the best bet for you.
Quote:

Should I go for the mDI Crde Engine? or is it worth spending a bit more and going for the MEagle Crde?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
M2Di is NOT a Crde engine. This is a Bolero engine which is doing duty in the budget versions of Scorpio (M2Di) and Xylo.
The D2 variant comes with mDI CRDe engine which is nothing but the old Bolero DI mill with a common rail system. Contrary to popular perception, its not less powerful as the max torque comes at 1400 RPM,hence it should be a breeze to drive in traffic. But they come with skinnier 205 profile tyres hence I would suggest upgrading the tyres immediately.
Old 20th October 2010, 06:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Like others here I too feel that the Xylo is the best bet for you.
Second to Mile-cruncher.
Hi Holy Smoke,

I feel by now you should shortlisted your vehicle. Your requirement is MUV. So definitely rest all types are thrown out except Innova & Xylo VFM MUV.

Former was removed from your wishlist because of high value tag then your one and only left option is Xylo.

What do you say. Even Xylo also a proven product. So Chello Bhai. See you with your Xylo Initial report

Regards,
Camon
Old 23rd October 2010, 00:57   #38
BHPian

@holysmoke: seems like you are very close to deciding on Xylo. In case you haven't made up your mind, I would like to share my experience with you.

Before deciding to buy scorpio SLE last year, I test drove xylo, sumo grande and Scorpio. Here is a very brief low down based on my experience at April 2009.

Xylo:
Pros:
New model and better interiors
Cons:
Less refined Engine, body roll, did not like looks of grill

Scorpio:
Pros:
Well Refined Engine, reasonable interiors, AWD (though budget had to be stressed)
Cons:
Gearbox (and not much that i remember about)

Grande:
Pros:
Good Engine, Looks (This is still my favorite), Very good at turning
Cons:
Steering (was not confident at all), interiors

Considering everything, if only Grande drove and handled well, I would have bought it. As in if I were to evaluate the 3 today, I might go for Grande MK-II.

Here is a url of a comparo between xylo D2 and Grande MK-II - Compare Mahindra Xylo D2 BS-IV vs Tata Sumo Grande MK II LX BS-IV vs Tata Sumo Grande MK II EX BS-IV - CarWale
Old 23rd October 2010, 02:27   #39
BHPian

I'm still very confused. I am thinking of the xylo, but I'm waiting for the venture to launch. TBHP says its launched in jaipur, but the mumbai dealers have no idea.

Since this is an office car, I'm also toying with the idea of buying 2 CNG Eeco's instead. (cost=same) I probably dont need 2, so I might end up saving 4 lacs.

Also, I'm confused as to whether I should try and use my tavera for a few more months and then buy the new safari sometime next year.

Tough choice, If I get the eeco, I dont think I personally will ever use it.
Xylo, maybe sometimes.. for outstation trips.. but for that also I prefer the superb.
But if I get the safari I will use it

Last edited by holysmoke : 23rd October 2010 at 02:30.
Old 23rd October 2010, 06:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Scorpio:
Well Refined Engine, reasonable interiors, AWD (though budget had to be stressed)
You meant 4 wheel drive (4WD)?
The Scorpio doesn't come with AWD. The Tata Aria would be the first AWD in India.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
You meant 4 wheel drive (4WD)?
The Scorpio doesn't come with AWD. The Tata Aria would be the first AWD in India.
Oops. That was stupid of me.
I meant ABS
Old 25th October 2010, 15:35   #42
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Strongly recommend

1) Grande Mark II
2) Venture
3) Xylo

In the above order. Xylo great on the interior but not as spacious, good looking nor a good handler as the Grande Mark II, which has the classic SUV looks as well.

Venture - if you want a simple people carrier, you could possibly get two of these in the Innova budget. And this will have a low floor and be quite comfortable. A good company vehicle. Would have also listed down the echo if not for the fact that it is a petrol vehicle.

Grand Mark II - most recommended for you - big spacious, reliable, max fuel efficiency, rugged, the only downer could be resale value, but not if you plan to keep it for a while.
Old 25th October 2010, 17:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, the xylo is more spacious as well as more reliable than the grande. it has got a better ride too.

Also, xylo is atleast selling well, i rarely see a grande on the roads. so if one buys a grande, apart from resale value, other problems would also be availability of spares in the long run.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 25th October 2010 at 17:09.
Old 26th October 2010, 09:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Since this is an office car, I'm also toying with the idea of buying 2 CNG Eeco's instead. (cost=same) I probably dont need 2, so I might end up saving 4 lacs.

Also, I'm confused as to whether I should try and use my tavera for a few more months and then buy the new safari sometime next year.

Tough choice, If I get the eeco, I dont think I personally will ever use it.
Xylo, maybe sometimes.. for outstation trips.. but for that also I prefer the superb.
And for how many months will you wait for the Eeco?

Xylo is a good buy IMHO if you want to sit 7/8 people in relative comfort and if you cant afford a Innova. Ride can be a bit bumpy for last benchers and scary braking at high speeds coz of tall body design.

Ever thought of Sonalika Rhino?

raj; how can there be a part issue, the engine is the same as in Safari and Aria? There is almost a T.A.S.S every 20kms in Kerala. I would suggest that one get extra warranty whatever car one buys.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:47   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Ever thought of Sonalika Rhino?

raj; how can there be a part issue, the engine is the same as in Safari and Aria? There is almost a T.A.S.S every 20kms in Kerala. I would suggest that one get extra warranty whatever car one buys.
Hi Jk,

Peoples are concerned about Tata Grande say even having TASS for every 20kms in Kerala.

So do you think Sonalika Rhino can be recommended for Holysmoke which has hardly less A.S.S setup?
Regards,
Camon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks