Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2010, 13:01   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Hello fellow BHPians![*]After 10000kms or so, if one goes over a 100km/hr the vehicle (apparently) tends to shudder.[*]The 2011 Safari will be based on the Aria platform, and from what I see from spy pics it will look nothing like the old Safari - I don't want to end up feeling bad for myself
Cheers!
I'm not sure if you have made up your mind by now. But I would like to point that it isn't expensive to maintain a safari at all. There are lot of long term reports safari on the forum. Take a look. It is stable upto 125km/hr with total confidence.

when aria spy pics were out, it looked v ugly.It still is to my eyes, but not as worse as i thought it would be.So, I suggest postpone your buy for 6 months if u can afford to. As someone said, it might look closer to Fj cruiser and with improvements shown on aria, one can expect a lot from safari. I'd say you cannot go wrong with either safari or scorpio because both are more or less the same in diff areas. But i have read the critics voted for safari over scorpio but adviced to buy scorpio for resale.
Old 30th October 2010, 13:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
If it isn't too much trouble, a few pics would be definitely appreciated.
Here you go: Have included a pic of the interiors too. Just in case:
Mahindra Scorpio - VLX AT - Comments!-dsc01313.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio - VLX AT - Comments!-dsc01314.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio - VLX AT - Comments!-dsc01312.jpg
Quote:
Sunfilm - I've already selected VKool

Quote:
Seat covers - How long does it take Autoform to make delivery?
My scorpio is a 7 str Captain Seats version which is not so popular. Therefore the covers have to be made on order. Should be ready in a week's time, I'm told.

Quote:
I've also ordered my VLX in white. I've been thinking about getting my front grille painted in black.
The grill looks good. I'd prefer a mesh grill over this though.

Quote:
ICE - I tested it out in the showroom and it seemed decent enough.
Yes, the stock ICE sounds decent enough. But if you are an audiophile, you will be disappointed.

Quote:
Car security.... ...For the record, do you have any idea if the current gen Scorpios have a pin protected engine immobilizer as well?
The current gen Scorpio's have a unique immobilizer code set from the factory which cannot be changed. Security should not be an issue.
However you can opt for a GSM/GPS based security system just to be on the safer side.
You can refer to the thread started by raj_5004 for a review of Micro VBB here.

BTW, what seat configuration have you opted for?
Old 30th October 2010, 14:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ICE - When you say the stock system is crappy, do you mean just the front end or are you referring to the speakers as well? I notice you have an impressive set-up and so I am in no way asking you to compare the Scorpios stock to your personal set-up...lol. I tested it out in the showroom and it seemed decent enough.
Okay! to be honest, i will say that the stock system is just about decent. the HU supports USB, Aux as well as bluetooth. But if you are an audiophile, you will be disappointed.

Of course, since it seemed decent to you, no need to upgrade it. When i posted the earlier comment, i actually compared it to the innova's stock system, not my current system. that would be unfair!

Quote:
Car security - I am definitely getting this installed. Especially after I read about an attempted theft on your vehicle. For the record, do you have any idea if the current gen Scorpios have a pin protected engine immobilizer as well? I don't remember the sales man mentioning anything about it...and I don't remember reading about it on their website either!
New scorpios have a more advanced RFID based security system, just like iCats in Marutis. its much better & safer than previous gen scorpios. but no car is theft proof, so its always better to be safe than sorry.
Old 30th October 2010, 20:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you!

Okay you have kinda lost me here
"I am looking for a 2DIN system in which probably I can retain the steering controls. I fail to understand why the car stereo companies dont address this issue."

The VLX already comes with a 2DIN system with steering mounted controls...I assumed you knew this because you mentioned steering mounted controls prior to this statement.
What I want to say is that if I have to upgrade my system (I mean changing HU), I loose my steering controls. If that be so why all HUs cannot be designed to offer this integration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i meant better aftermarket alloys.
Since you are expert in the Scorpio field, I just want to know about the stock alloys. Do you really think there is need to upgrade them? I have not read any one upgrading Scorpio alloys here. Tyres, yes, I know needs to be upgraded specially if they are not bridgestones.

One more thing, in the stock ICE which is the main culprit - the HU or the sound output? Say if good front components and amps are added wont they make ICE sound reasonable enough.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 30th October 2010 at 20:26.
Old 30th October 2010, 20:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Since you are expert in the Scorpio field, I just want to know about the stock alloys. Do you really think there is need to upgrade them? I have not read any one upgrading Scorpio alloys here. Tyres, yes, I know needs to be upgraded specially if they are not bridgestones.
firstly, i am no expert!

Secondly, alloys come in VLX variant which also comes with tyre pressure sensors. its somewhat a delicate procedure to transplant these sensors to the new wheels. so many, including me, are just reluctant to take that risk.
Old 30th October 2010, 21:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just want to know about the stock alloys. Do you really think there is need to upgrade them? I have not read any one upgrading Scorpio alloys here. Tyres, yes, I know needs to be upgraded specially if they are not bridgestones.
Scorpio alloys have a very uncommon offset so it is better to stick with OEM alloys. That said, there are a lot of folks who have changed alloys and haven't faced issues.
Old 30th October 2010, 21:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Scorpio alloys have a very uncommon offset so it is better to stick with OEM alloys. That said, there are a lot of folks who have changed alloys and haven't faced issues.
Most alloy manufacturers have scorpio specific alloys and there are umpteen designs available in the market. Just that nothing would hit your mind if you are really keen on have that head turner looks for the scorp'. Most of them look drab and dated.

That said the real problem with the Scorpio alloys is the lugnuts. Its usually recommended to stick to the stock lug-nuts than changing to chrome lug-nuts coz these are prone to loosen and fall off. Picture this, you are driving and then you find that one of the wheels from the scorp' is overtaking you.
Old 30th October 2010, 21:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Therefore the covers have to be made on order. Should be ready in a week's time, I'm told.
The grill looks good. I'd prefer a mesh grill over this though.
Are the seat covers fabric based? They look nice.

The bull bar is classy.

Does the rear seat fold in case of 8-seater option? I have not been able to visualise the advantages of captain seats.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 30th October 2010 at 21:26.
Old 30th October 2010, 23:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are the seat covers fabric based? They look nice.
I think those are the pics without the Autoform seat covers, those are the OE seat covers.

Quote:
Does the rear seat fold in case of 8-seater option?
Yes.

Quote:
I have not been able to visualise the advantages of captain seats.
Comfort & luxury of individual bucket seats.
Old 1st November 2010, 09:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Moreover (from past experience again) I have learnt that automatic 4WD is a sophisticated 2WD system offered under misleading names like "rue 4WD" or "TOD" (torque on demand). It should be called part time AWD...works pretty well on pavement under slippery conditions but is absolutely useless off-road.
Congrats mate. I too have the captains chair 7 seater Scoprio.

Just wanted to correct your perceptions regarding the automatic 4WD. You are confusing an SUV that has Automatic Transmission and a Full 4WD System with an Automatic 4WD System. The Scorpio has an Automatic Transmission along with a Full Borg Warner 4WD System similar to the Manual 4x4 Scorpio. When you engage 4x4 in a Scorpio Automatic the transfer case is engaged and the vehicle is in full 4x4 mode. A land cruiser Automatic with 4x4 works the same way.

The automatic 4WD systems that you talk about are typically found in soft roaders like CRV, Tuscon etc. As you said these are not really full time 4WD sytems but light duty systems purely for traction on slippery surfaces and not meant to be used extensively off road.

Also agree with you that if you don't feel the need for 4x4 it is not worth paying the extra for it.
Old 1st December 2010, 21:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post

My scorpio is a 7 str Captain Seats version which is not so popular. Therefore the covers have to be made on order. Should be ready in a week's time, I'm told.

Bro thank you very much for the inputs. I apologies for the delayed reply. I've been traveling. I took delivery of my Scorpio yesterday and I'm loving it! There are a few things here and there that I didn't like much, but I'll get to those in a later post along with pics and a more detailed take on the vehicle!

Thanks!
Old 1st December 2010, 21:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bro thank you very much for the inputs. I apologies for the delayed reply. I've been traveling. I took delivery of my Scorpio yesterday and I'm loving it! There are a few things here and there that I didn't like much, but I'll get to those in a later post along with pics and a more detailed take on the vehicle!

Thanks!
Heartiest Congartulations! Have a nice and safe driving. Do share the price and experience with pics!
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:42   #28
BANNED

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to club. Please post a detailed booking, delivery and your first feelings about the truck in the initial ownership reports section.

What was the price OTR? Any freebies/accessories?
Old 7th December 2010, 13:14   #29
BHPian

Congratulations!
Your purchase warrants a new thread. Do share some pics and your initial experience with the vehicle.

Drive safe.

Quote:
I took delivery of my Scorpio yesterday and I'm loving it!
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:39   #30
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio - VLX AT - Comments!

will be booking a Black SLE in next 2 days ,

a) just confused between 7 & 8 seater options. We are family of 4 , am more inclined to go for 8 seater since my kids cud sleep on long drive and the seats cna be removed completely if nor in use. pls suggest which cud be better option .

b) planning to upgrade with alloys from showroom , any indicative buy back price for the steel wheels + wheel caps and also OE JK tyres to Bridgestone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks