Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 13:49   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help choose - Innova petrol or diesel?

Quote:
I could not guess how you would use an innova when you have a 5 series and X6
I do have a Fortuner as well but none of these are comfortable in rear , I have to travel a lot for my work . By 7 - I meant upgrade to 7 Series..
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:14   #47
Team-BHP Support

After keeping mum for around a month , dealer has given me an offer of 10.5 Lac - Ex Showroom for 2012 December V model - 7 seater .

Does this seem look competitive now ? My priorities are comfort & I can't bear the hum sound in Diesel one , can any one who owns Petrol share his views on noise - specially around 110 Km
Old 4th February 2014, 00:07   #48
BHPian

Hi we own a Innova petrol run 1 lakh and a scorpio, we regularly use it on highways, it's excellent till 110km but after that a humming is there but nowhere close to the diesel. It doesnt have the torque of the diesel though and in traffic u need to change gears a lot. mileage Rarely crosses 10 . Hope that was helpful.
terra85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 02:27   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
After keeping mum for around a month , dealer has given me an offer of 10.5 Lac - Ex Showroom for 2012 December V model - 7 seater .

Does this seem look competitive now ? My priorities are comfort & I can't bear the hum sound in Diesel one , can any one who owns Petrol share his views on noise - specially around 110 Km
If you are that particular on silence and comfort at the rear which the Innova does the best, I will say buy the diesel variant and get sound dampening on all the 5 doors and may be wheel well cladding if there s such a chance to do which will help and then add better tyres like Michelin's that are known to be silent that the stock.

Best keep the music system ON.

As you travel a lot the petrol just doesn't seem as an option at all (I know you don't mind the running costs but still).

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 06:02   #50
Team-BHP Support

I don't how much this dampening will work . Given the hilarious facelift and a cost difference of over 4,50 Lac OTR over similar Diesel , I see value in this deal . I am used to getting lower mileage from Gasoline nowadays ,my daily drive here in Canada is Lexus GX460 which has a V8 engine & need premium gas

Quote:
It's excellent till 110km but after that a humming is there but nowhere close to the diesel
oops.. how will you compare this with Diesel on scale of 1-10 , say 10 is for Diesel .

Maybe I should insist on highway test drive before committing.
Old 4th February 2014, 11:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't how much this dampening will work
Dampening will reduce road noise to a great extent, all 3 layers of door should be sufficiently damped. One can also damp firewall area to reduce engine sound reaching cabin area.

Quote:
Given the hilarious facelift and a cost difference of over 4,50 Lac OTR over similar Diesel, I see value in this deal.
Agree, looking at discounts, it makes sense to go for petrol Innova.
Old 4th February 2014, 11:24   #52
BHPian

I would give it a rating of hmmn 6 its definitely less, i think its to do with the shorter gearing. Even parts are difficult to come by a rat once chewed through a tube it took us almost 20 days to get it. It is extremely fast and refined dont get me wrong but its not as refined as say a Honda city thats all. Ask for a test drive.

Last edited by terra85 : 4th February 2014 at 11:25.
Old 30th August 2014, 08:39   #53
Team-BHP Support

So finally after delaying this matter for months due to different reasons , picked up Innova Petrol - V 2013 with lots of complimentary accessories yesterday. Have asked dealer to change oil , battery and do a dry-cleaning as this was lying in warehouse ( covered ) for over a Year & half . I did a simple calculation , comparing with a similar V model in Diesel my savings are over 6 Lac

Given an average Yearly running of 20,000 Km , I will spend an extra Rs 4 Per km on fuel which I can easily offset by considering a simple interest @ 10-12 % on saving amount . In worst case if it does start getting hurt later on maybe I can put a CNG , not worried much on resale as In intend to keep it for a longer time .

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th August 2014 at 08:53.
Old 30th August 2014, 09:10   #54
BHPian

^^ Congrats Turbanator!!
Although 20k KM running per annum justifies a diesel car, but your upfront savings somehow offsets that. Good decision IMO.
As far as CNG is concerned, I think its a very good option on innova cause I have one in my extended family and it still runs like a dream after 7 years and some 60k KM covered only on CNG. Overall the ODO is around 80k KM. So I guess its a win-win situation for you. Anyways enjoy your new ride.
TB16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 11:06   #55
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk13 View Post
Well, even though my mileage will be 1000, I am very inclined towards diesel (heart says petrol but mind ays be practical and buy diesel) mainly due to

1. the resale value of a innova petrol will be peanuts compared to diesel
2. the car will be 99% chauffeur driven so personal driving pleasure is NOT a huge criteria as we will be on a second row seat
3. the diesel engines are now advanced and have closed on the maintenance gap with petrols

Is my reasoning correct ?
Well, I have a Innova diesel and it literally screams. It is very noisy.
Innova has not changed mechanically for 10 years, so why buy it unless you require 7 seats?
Also for the around 14 lakh, look at sedans(much better quality) and also XUV 500.

But if you're particular on the Innova, petrol would be better choice. But don't bother selling it for years.
Old 30th August 2014, 14:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So finally after delaying this matter for months due to different reasons , picked up Innova Petrol - V 2013 with lots of complimentary accessories yesterday. Have asked dealer to change oil , battery and do a dry-cleaning as this was lying in warehouse ( covered ) for over a Year & half . I did a simple calculation , comparing with a similar V model in Diesel my savings are over 6 Lac

Given an average Yearly running of 20,000 Km , I will spend an extra Rs 4 Per km on fuel which I can easily offset by considering a simple interest @ 10-12 % on saving amount . In worst case if it does start getting hurt later on maybe I can put a CNG , not worried much on resale as In intend to keep it for a longer time .
Turbonator congrats.
Hope you did a proper PDI before taking the 1.5 year old car?
Not sure how you calculated savings of over 6 Lakhs compared to similar Diesel V model (presumably also 1.5 years old)
Source: http://www.toyotabharat.com/inen/forms/price_list.aspx
Help choose - Innova petrol or diesel?-innova-price-list.jpg
Old 30th August 2014, 14:53   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hope you did a proper PDI before taking the 1.5 year old car?
Not much as owners of the showroom are known since many years - they won't do anything wrong or in my opinion anything is possible at first place given the way Toyota controls distributors - they are putting new battery , changing engine oil . I will ask my person to check for any signs of repaint etc. Thanks for reminding
Quote:
Not sure how you calculated savings of over 6 Lakhs compared to similar Diesel V model (presumably also 1.5 years old)
There are no 1,5 year old Diesels so I am comparing savings on current rate of V Diesel which here in Punjab retails at 14,53 vs 2013 Gasoline . Maybe not correct way but say if I have to buy a diesel V I must pay them 14,53 + cost of all accessories . Apart from Cash discounts , I am getting free accessories for around 50K and if factor lower Insurance & Road Tax vs new V Diesel as here in Chandigarh Road Tax is calculated on Invoice Less VAT value ( nothing to do with MRP) Total will be over 6

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th August 2014 at 15:19.
Old 1st September 2014, 10:44   #58
Team-BHP Support

Finally took Delivery of Car yesterday and traveled 300 km - some initial observations

1 V Model Seats - Captain - seem to be different ( better cushioned ) then G Model that I used to have 3 Years back . These are more comfortable - don't know if there is overall change in quality over G models or its just that I found something better then my current drives
2 Suspension - Maybe lighter weight of Innova helps in overall suitability & comfort besides overall far lesser noise then my old G Diesel or again I may be mistaken as I have traveled in hired Taxi's in past 2-3 years & things might have improved on newer models .

Any Pointers if Toyota actually uses some better components on V over G models ?

Noise :: There is hardly any sound from Engine but surprisingly it makes too much sound from Exhaust . It sounds more like Nano and this is felt even on speeds . Is there possibility to get some better exhausts or buy something from outside maybe Toyota India is buying Exhausts from some Indian companies and with limited volumes of Petrol there are not many checks . Or is there any other way to reduce sound from Exhaust .

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st September 2014 at 10:55.
Old 1st September 2014, 11:18   #59
Senior - BHPian

Congrats - seems a very worthy buy! Lying idle for 1.5 yrs sounds crazy but I am sure it isnt as bad as it sounds. Will really appreciate regular updates from you on your experience!

Is there a team-BHP article on what to watch out for idle cars? There are unbelievable deals going around - so it would really help prospective buyers!
Old 1st September 2014, 12:54   #60
BHPian

^^ Picking up a idle lying car is definetely a risky situation, specially when the idle period is > 1 year. But being a reliable brand (toyota), the probability of something going wrong is quite less wrt to other brands. I also picked up my car which had remained idle for almost similiar time periods.

I hope you have purchased the extended warranty as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks