Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: which car is better for city driving / visibility / minimal body roll / cheap part
Bolero SLX 93 48.95%
sumo grande MKII CX 97 51.05%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2010, 08:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Pavan Saab, have you owned a bolero for more than 4 years? How can you make such a sweeping statement? We have 6 boleros in our firm & 4 of them has crossed 1.5 lakh kms & still running strong.

IMO, bolero is one of the most reliable vehicles around & with just the basic maintainence, it will easily run for 2L kms.

also, comfort does not mean just better space. you need to consider that the scorpio has a better coil spring suspension than the antiquated leaf spring setup in grande.

Why dint you say that the 'grande is nothing but a over decorated sumo with a safari engine'?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 28th November 2010 at 09:08.
Old 28th November 2010, 09:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Pavan Saab, have you owned a bolero for more than 4 years? How can you make such a sweeping statement? We have 6 boleros in our firm & 4 of them has crossed 1.5 lakh kms & still running strong.

IMO, bolero is one of the most reliable vehicles around & with just the basic maintainence, it will easily run for 2L kms.

also, comfort does not mean just better space. you need to consider that the scorpio has a better coil spring suspension than the antiquated leaf spring setup in grande.

Why dint you say that the 'grande is nothing but a over decorated sumo with a safari engine'?
Absolutely correct:

1. If bolero has to be compared with the grande MKII then please compare the VLX (CRDI) version.

2. The bolero is much more reliable than the Grande.

3. Why can't we have a Bolero VLX minus the Leaf springs, and with the Xylo's interiors? Well maybe, then it might kill the Xylo (and the Grande).
Old 28th November 2010, 10:07   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO Sumo Grande is much better in terms of just the vehicle in itself. Bolero is very crude with no or minimal creature comforts.

Sumo Grande feels much better both inside and outside.
Old 28th November 2010, 10:17   #19
BHPian

Having used the bolero and test driven the sumo grande i feel the sumo just doesnt hold up against the former in terms of reliability and fit and finish ,besides the bolero is super manouverable compared to the grande which makes it a better vehicle for self driven individuals on a day to day basis .The sumo scores on the interior space and the "NEO" looks but thats about it
Old 28th November 2010, 11:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
Having used the bolero and test driven the sumo grande i feel the sumo just doesnt hold up against the former in terms of reliability and fit and finish ,besides the bolero is super manouverable compared to the grande which makes it a better vehicle for self driven individuals on a day to day basis .The sumo scores on the interior space and the "NEO" looks but thats about it
I find it quite interesting that you have been able to judge the reliability o fthe Grande from a test drive. Do you know the turning radius of the Sumo Grande & Bolero? The only advantage Bolero has is cheap to buy, own & maintain. Everything about it is a technically dated platform. You cannot even fold the middle row seat to carry some extra luggage. The side facing third row space is really cramped/claustrophobic.
Old 29th November 2010, 07:29   #21
BHPian

Last week I took a test drive of bolero it gives good comfort for the front passengers and you are right we cannot fold the middle raw. I think if you want to carry people comfortably Grande is the best in class. But as a handsome goods carrier bolero is the best MUV.

I am going to book the bolero SLE this week.

One 2009 bolero SLX is for sale asking price is 6.25 (12000KM) if it comes to a good price will go for that other wise new bolero from the showroom (They have in stock!)
Old 29th November 2010, 14:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Bolero is nothing but a jeep with doors, no creature comforts, very crude, but the engine is good old school one and easy on maintenance, but will start ageing within 4 years.
I must be doing something wrong, or maybe there is something wrong with my Bolero engine. Six years now and still going strong! In fact just this July I completed a trip to Himachal on some inhospitable roads, without any major or minor problems or breakdowns. And yes it was the same 6 year old Bolero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
We have 6 boleros in our firm & 4 of them has crossed 1.5 lakh kms & still running strong.
+1 to that Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The only advantage Bolero has is cheap to buy, own & maintain. Everything about it is a technically dated platform. You cannot even fold the middle row seat to carry some extra luggage. The side facing third row space is really cramped/claustrophobic.
Sir, I agree that it is a technically dated platform, but IMHO the only advantage of this is that mechanics anywhere in the country and in small moffussil towns will be able to tackle any breakdown and/or undertake repairs, so that one is not stuck. With the newer generation engines, most garages/mechanics will not be able to deal with the problems promptly, due to lack of technology and equipment.
As for creature comforts, totally agree with everyone on that point. But again with a little effort things can be made a little more comfortable in the cabin. Some modifications and you can have folding middle row seat.

@shreejeshmp, All the best with your purchase.
Old 29th November 2010, 20:25   #23
BHPian

[quote]
[
Quote:
quote=BolBolero;2156442] I must be doing something wrong, or maybe there is something wrong with my Bolero engine. Six years now and still going strong! In fact just this July I completed a trip to Himachal on some inhospitable roads, without any major or minor problems or breakdowns. And yes it was the same 6 year old Bolero!

+1 to that Sir!

Sir, I agree that it is a technically dated platform, but IMHO the only advantage of this is that mechanics anywhere in the country and in small moffussil towns will be able to tackle any breakdown and/or undertake repairs, so that one is not stuck. With the newer generation engines, most garages/mechanics will not be able to deal with the problems promptly, due to lack of technology and equipment.
As for creature comforts, totally agree with everyone on that point. But again with a little effort things can be made a little more comfortable in the cabin. Some modifications and you can have folding middle row seat.
IT's amazing to see so much fans for Bolero here.
Besides, since Sumo grande is the premium version of Sumo, it is unfair to compare it with Bolero SLX and SLE. In terms of engine, perfomance, looks and reliability, I will bet my last penny that No Sumo, Grande or not, can hold a candle to Bolero VLX. And please, don't assess a vehicle solely by it's turning radius!
Old 29th November 2010, 22:16   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ritz830 - please go ahead and buy the Bolero VLX (VLX, mind you) with your eyes closed. I am fortunate to work where I do and also what I do there, as a result of which I drive a very unique, extremely fast and superbly handling brown colored MH15 registered Bolero VLX. I've got the "LIVE TO DRIVE" AND "got BHP? TeamBHP.com" stickers on it at the back. By the time people read them, a small flick on the steering wheel, a dab on the throttle and I've disappeared. I just love it! I used a black MH15 Scorpio for 2 years but this Bolero in this color gives me a fantastic feel everytime I drive it. It is something which is very difficult to describe, it just happens!

The "competition" that you are considering? Come on now, it waddles like a duck all over the place. .

If you want help, please PM me.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 29th November 2010 at 22:26.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2010, 22:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Ritz830 - please go ahead and buy the Bolero VLX (VLX, mind you) with your eyes closed. I am fortunate to work where I do and also what I do there, as a result of which I drive a very unique, extremely fast and superbly handling brown colored MH15 registered Bolero VLX. I've got the "LIVE TO DRIVE" AND "got BHP? TeamBHP.com" stickers on it at the back. By the time people read them, a small flick on the steering wheel, a dab on the throttle and I've disappeared. I just love it! I used a black MH15 Scorpio for 2 years but this Bolero in this color gives me a fantastic feel everytime I drive it. It is something which is very difficult to describe, it just happens!

The "competition" that you are considering? Come on now, it waddles like a duck all over the place. .

If you want help, please PM me.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram Sir, why don't you give us the VLX in 4 WD? I promise I'll not even look at another vehicle and head straight to book it. And how about throwing in the Xylo's seats and Dash while you are at it? Is it really asking for too much?
Old 29th November 2010, 22:41   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Roy Libran - Bolero VLX 4WD? . Got it? Good!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th November 2010, 09:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir that is one cryptic reply!
Okay Sir forget the Xylo seats and dash, just the VLX 4WD will do for now!
Old 30th November 2010, 12:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Very cryptic reply Sir! Is that a Yes or a No? Are we getting this (VLX 4WD) sometime at all? If the request is too much to ask for, you may cut out the Xylo Dash and Seats.
By the way, did you realize, irrespective of what the MahindraBolero.Com website says, there is no way you can Register a 4WD SLX variant anywhere in India, because it is BS2? That means, the whole Bolero lineup now does not have a 4WD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Sir that is one cryptic reply!
Okay Sir forget the Xylo seats and dash, just the VLX 4WD will do for now!
I agree. I'll buy a VLX 4WD even without the better interiors, that M&M Can Provide.
Old 30th November 2010, 19:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I agree. I'll buy a VLX 4WD even without the better interiors, that M&M Can Provide.
Do you realise that a Bolero VLX 4WD will be market shaker and a runaway hit. Because it will provide the comfort of 4WD and fast engine, AC/PS/PW/CL and so many other smal gizmos at 8L Ex Showroom.

But the only problem is the nearest competition will be Safari / Scorpio at 10.x Lacs. Now the question is will M&M really like its its value offering to cannibalise its premium offering Scorpio and Thar. Just think about it!
Old 30th November 2010, 20:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Do you realise that a Bolero VLX 4WD will be market shaker and a runaway hit. Because it will provide the comfort of 4WD and fast engine, AC/PS/PW/CL and so many other smal gizmos at 8L Ex Showroom.

But the only problem is the nearest competition will be Safari / Scorpio at 10.x Lacs. Now the question is will M&M really like its its value offering to cannibalise its premium offering Scorpio and Thar. Just think about it!
I would Tend to Disagree with your view MC; The Bolero without substantial interior improvements and exterior modifications to make it look more modern, would hardly compete with the Safaris and Scorpios. It will have it's niche market defined in the segment that only wants a reasonably comfortable and Moderately Capable 4WD.

There is a separate segment in the market, that looks at Gizmos, Electronics, Exterior Looks, Interior F&F, Raw Torque and BHP Numbers, etc... to drive their purchase decisions. That is not a segment that the Bolero has ever sold to, nor should be targeting.

There are those of us who do not want the pains of going for a Force Gurkha, nor find it acceptable to make a Souped Up MM5*0 / CJ**/Gypsy their daily drive. It is for these people, that a market opportunity exists, even if the VLX 4WD were made to order with a 3 month waiting.

Most Viewed