Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: which car is better for city driving / visibility / minimal body roll / cheap part
Bolero SLX 93 48.95%
sumo grande MKII CX 97 51.05%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2010, 17:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra bolero vs Tata sumo grande MKII

I'm probably not the right person to comment on this topic but with my very very limited experience with Bolero(CRDe engine one) I must say I was not disappointed with the vehicle. Recently did two drives, one 200+km(hills) and another 400+km (plains) drive. I was on the driver's seat for both these trips and hence my views are strictly from a driver's perspective. First thing is that I was pretty impressed with the torque and performance of the vehicle, probably because I was expecting it to be sluggish.
Secondly, I was initally bit scared of the brakes, they had just too sharp bite and I had taken time to adjust from my Baleno brakes. But once I got used to it, I found them quite nice while braking and had good confidence on braking.
Thirdly, at the end of both the trips I was not at all tired and even after that 400km+ (2 breaks of half an hour each for food) trip I was ready to drive probably another couple of hundred of kilometers. So ergonomics wise I had no complaints at all. I was quite comfortable driving this vehicle. And even my cousins were not tired who were accompanying me on the trip.
Fourthly, space was kind of at premium. I had to rely on side rear view mirrors as the luggage has blocked the view of the center mirror. And we didn't had that much of luggage actually. But even then the rear space was completely filled up. But one anyday has the option of fixing a roof-top carrier to release that required space.
Also used the vehicle for City driving for couple of days and was comfortable maneuvering the vehicle thru moderate traffic.
And lastly, one thing I can say that now I'm more inclined to get a SUV as soon as possible. I've been dueling on this thought for quite a long time and now probably I'm inclining more towards getting one for me. Before driving this vehicle I was bit worried about driving a high Center of Gravity vehicle but now I feel that I can comfortably shift. The vehicle behaves very nicely on the road or the turns at some good speeds. I definitely was not driving as fast as I would drive a sedan due to the limitation of a high CG car but I was surprised that it behaved quite well even when I tried.
But one thing I would add that it was bit scary the way the car's rear jumps on rumble strips if you take it on a slightly higher speed. It almost feel like as if the rear was going somersault and the car will land on it's roof (an exaggerated expression but you got the drift) . That was bit un-nerving and probably it was due the leaf-spring suspension?
It was just a layman and a first user's view on the Bolero. I won't comment much on family car or utility car topic but IMHO this vehicle can take up both responsibilities with some limitations. But again, which other car doesn't have limitations? At least in that price range. And I simply can't understand what this rural vehicle idea about this vehicle is. This vehicle doesn't behave badly in the City traffic and nor it looks like a rural taxi or something.
Regards,
Old 12th December 2010, 18:28   #62
BANNED

@kaushik_s: Nice honest review. Guess what you probably could have said the same about the Sumo Grande.

And about it being a rural taxi bit. Thats just a mindset, some folks prefer the adage ignorance is bliss..
Old 12th December 2010, 20:08   #63
BHPian

1) ease of driving inside city, visibility of all corners - Bolero
2) Less body roll while going over bumps ( slight thud is fine, but no wobbliness) - Bolero
3) Cheap spare parts/paid service (around 2-4k paid service) – Not sure

But if you consider the comfort and space Bolero is no match for Grande. I feel Grande looks better than Bolero. I don’t know whether the Mahindra A.S.S is better than TATA.
Old 12th December 2010, 21:12   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@kaushik_s: Nice honest review. Guess what you probably could have said the same about the Sumo Grande.
Might be for the Grande as I've not driven that vehicle yet and my driving experience with such vehicles are pretty limited. But I didn't had that good experience driving a Sumo old model. I felt very uncomfortable and was struggling to control the truck, I mean the vehicle. But that was long back (I myself was not that confident that time) and I don't know how it is now to drive a newer Sumo or the Grande.
Yup, I kind of do agree you about the rural vehicle mindset.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:37   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
But if you consider the comfort and space Bolero is no match for Grande. I feel Grande looks better than Bolero. I don’t know whether the Mahindra A.S.S is better than TATA.
I'm not sure how good TATA's A.S.S is, but i heard that you'll see it very often.

Old 18th December 2010, 16:46   #66
BHPian

Hello guys,

In this never ending debate, we have forgotten what ritz decided? Does any one know which one he chose?

Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 13:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

I test drove the Grande, liked the drive. Yet to test drive the VLX, visited two dealers, both refused for a test drive. They say Bolero VLX is not available for TDs. Any Delhi / Noida Bolero bhpian willing to help me out? I really like the Bolero's shape, plus it suits my budget more, hence this extra effort.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I test drove the Grande, liked the drive. Yet to test drive the VLX, visited two dealers, both refused for a test drive. They say Bolero VLX is not available for TDs. Any Delhi / Noida Bolero bhpian willing to help me out? I really like the Bolero's shape, plus it suits my budget more, hence this extra effort.
Sterling in Gurgaon has a VLX for TDs. If you just drive to this part of NCR, your quest will be satisfied. PM me for contacts. At their showroom on Old Delhi Road (near Maruti factory), there are around 3-4 VLX's at any given point of time.

Personally, nothing quite beats the Bolero VLX's value proposition, if you don't need 4WD. Very reliable, and maintenance is easy and cheap.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks, brother! Will get in touch, soon!
Old 21st April 2011, 18:51   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Believe me, time is running out to buy the Storm. Grande MkII will be there for some time to come, but not the Storm. So you better hurry else you might miss it!

Also remember the acceleration of Storm is much better than all the Scorps making it a really fast vehicle to have.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 18:53   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Believe me, time is running out to buy the Storm. Grande MkII will be there for some time to come, but not the Storm. So you better hurry else you might miss it!

Also remember the acceleration of Storm is much better than all the Scorps making it a really fast vehicle to have.
Please Ani, some details.... I beg you.
Old 21st April 2011, 18:59   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Believe me, time is running out to buy the Storm.
So I can press for big discounts then?
Old 21st April 2011, 19:02   #73
BHPian

Quote:

True, when i took the TD of Vlx, I actually felt this was lot quicker than Scorpio. Now you confirmed it. I was wondering how could the 97bhp be quicker than 120bhp motor.
Old 21st April 2011, 19:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is the Bolero CRDe chassis different from the DI Chassis?
Yes it is, front end is C in C (similar to Scorpio's) , whereas rear end is box / tubular section. It is a hybrid chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Please Ani, some details.... I beg you.
Anirudha is right.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 19:47   #75
BHPian

Quote:
So I can press for big discounts then?
India Garage and Sireesh Auto, both of them are not giving a penny of discount. All that they give you is, Mats, Idol and Scent bottle. This was on April 10th 2011.

Most Viewed