Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 17:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Why would anyone buy a Pajero SFX?

You want to wade + off road+ camp out + keep it puttering. Buddy mountain goats(pajero) are not horses(fortuner). Horses run fast and can jump. But the mountain goat does better at the jumping. It was built for that. While I've driven both let me tell you even when it comes to mile munching the pajero is still very capable. What it loses in speed it makes up in grunt off road and a fairly plush ride. Its a hardy vehicle that will relentlessly serve you save a few odd runs to the doctor's place. Albeit with other internals the pajero has not won championships off the cuff. While I absolutely agree with you on the paint scheme and the wheezy engine I think my little story of goats and horses should clarify my standpoint.

Get the snorkel, winch, hella/neolite. A full blown nav system and you're all set for the world.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:15   #17
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
X-Trail doesn't even have a low ratio on the 4WD, how can you call it OTR capable?
Sure its no Pajero, but the car is capable and has a more powerful engine than a Pajero. I agree with all that the Pajero is the last purpose built vehicle and given a choice, I would like to own it someday. But in this case, I think the Fortuner is a better choice. Though there's nothing like the Pajero when it comes to handling the rough terrain.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:51   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
But how about considering a Nissan X-Trail? The SUV is about the right size, has a powerful, torquey and efficient diesel mill, well-equipped and is capable OTR too.
The X-Trail is NOT OTR-capable AT ALL. It's a soft-roader built on a sedan platform (much like the CRV, Outlander etc.). and is best for mild slush & sand only. It's off road capability is as good (or rather, as bad) as a Skoda Yeti.
Old 10th December 2010, 19:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would any day plonk down for Pajero. I love its classic looks.

Barring lower engine HP (for all practical purpose you are limited to 120-140 on highways) you get a better specked vehicle, leather seats, ABS, LSD, all disk breaks, coupled with much less electronics (hence fewer issues).

The Fortuner has a higher "wading depth" = 700mm verses 600 for the Pajero, but if you get a snorkel and diff breather pipe, then that shortcoming is not there. With lesser front and rear overhangs you will be able to go up and down steeper gullies and come out of ditches with a fewer scratches/body damage.

The only down side of Pajero is its BS-III engine, hence you cannot register it in the Metros. Ideally Mitsubishi should just upgrade the engine to a 3L turbo diesel and then there would be no competition.

I also prefer the spare to be outside and not under. Lastly as claimed in the video, for rough roads, visibility is of paramount importance (it can be life saving at times).
Old 11th December 2010, 21:16   #20
BHPian

Mitsubishi dealer tells me that euro4 pajeros will be available by end of January
Old 11th December 2010, 22:33   #21
BANNED

The Fortuner will do ninety percent or more of what a Pajero can do while off roading. Also, while on the road, it is more frugal, modern, has a a reputed ASC network and is a better all rounder.

If I were you, I d look for a pre owned Pajero/Prado/Montero/LC or a new Fortuner. At the price Mitsubishi is selling the stone age Pajero in India, it is just not worth it.
Old 12th December 2010, 17:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

IMHO. I think the Pajero though old design & all of that - is almost a CULT vehicle. It has withstood the test of time.

Yes it may not boast of the most modern electronic wizardry, but we would all acknowledge it's legendary capabilities. Easy repairs & established reliability.

Having said that, it is definately overpriced. What Mitsubishi needs to do is drop the price by 5 Lacs & see it flying off shelves & take sales away from many a competitor.

Cheers
Old 12th December 2010, 18:43   #23
BHPian

Did you consider a pre used Prado in your list? I am sure you can get a 4-5 year old one in your budget.
I know its not everyone's cup of tea to buy used cars, but I think the Prado should be really good in reliability. Plus I've never found an owner who didn't keep his Prado in top condition
You can also get a 2-3 year old Montero in this price range!

Otherwise I vote for Fortuner. The Pajero is not worth it's price.
Old 12th December 2010, 19:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
Did you consider a pre used Prado in your list? I am sure you can get a 4-5 year old one in your budget.
I know its not everyone's cup of tea to buy used cars, but I think the Prado should be really good in reliability. Plus I've never found an owner who didn't keep his Prado in top condition
You can also get a 2-3 year old Montero in this price range!

Otherwise I vote for Fortuner. The Pajero is not worth it's price.
The demand for Pajero is high. In Delhi I tried to get a 2/3 year old Pajero in good condition and the minimum asking price was 15L. That is why I think that a new Pajero is still worth the price.

The Prado is a bigger and more modern SUV, and would command proportionately higher price. The maintenance and cost of spares would also be higher for the Prado compared to Pajero.
Old 12th December 2010, 20:51   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The demand for Pajero is high. In Delhi I tried to get a 2/3 year old Pajero in good condition and the minimum asking price was 15L. That is why I think that a new Pajero is still worth the price.
Used car prices are high not because of the demand but due to the new car being overpriced.

Also, had the Pajero been priced right, it would set the sales charts on fire like the T-Fort has, given its established cult status and better ride quality.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:42   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Mitsubishi dealer tells me that euro4 pajeros will be available by end of January
I too read somewhere that they are trying to upgrade the current IDI engine to BS4. Tata managed to do this with there old IDI Indica engine. But since the 2.8 is a much larger engine and given the competency of HM engineers, it may take time. But on the positive side, Indian regulations are easier to pass as the vehicle that is taken for testing is specially prepared/tweaked to pass the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
IMHO. I think the Pajero though old design & all of that - is almost a CULT vehicle. It has withstood the test of time.

Yes it may not boast of the most modern electronic wizardry, but we would all acknowledge it's legendary capabilities. Easy repairs & established reliability.

Having said that, it is definately overpriced. What Mitsubishi needs to do is drop the price by 5 Lacs & see it flying off shelves & take sales away from many a competitor.

Cheers
Pajero is definitely a proven and fantastic vehicle. I have three big gripes with it:

1) Underpowered engine. Mitsu should really to match the competition. The gearing is very short to compensate for the under powered engine and hence at speeds of over 120 kmph the engine rpm start to rise uncomfortably resulting in poor mileage.

2) The middle row seat is effectively a two seater with ridiculousely large arm rests on either side. This is a problem with the Indian version. I have not seen this type of seating in the imports.

3) The clown paint scheme that HM has choosen for the Pajero.

4) Priced a few lakhs higher than it should be.

Of these issues, if they plonk in a good 150 bhp engine and I will pick this over a Fortuner. Right now, I cannot digest spending 20 lakhs and not being able to keep up with a Scorpio Mhawk or Safari 2.2 VVTI on the highway.

Even if they keep the vehicle as it is, but offer it in the 15 Lakh range, it will definitely sell much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Used car prices are high not because of the demand but due to the new car being overpriced.

Also, had the Pajero been priced right, it would set the sales charts on fire like the T-Fort has, given its established cult status and better ride quality.
Totally agree. They need to drop the price on this vehicle by a few Lakh. Otherwise the Fortuner will make more sense to most buyers as off-road heritage is not a big plus for most buyers. They just need a status symbol.
Old 13th December 2010, 19:03   #27
BHPian

I just test drove a Pajero. On the whole, a positive experience.

I noted that the vehicle is indeed slow at take off from a stand still. However, once underway, the acceleration is more than satisfactory. Its not a zippy vehicle, not likely to be suitable for racing Fortuners at 120km/h on the highway, but adequate for my needs. the highways here in the north have become too crowded for 100km/h+ cruising anyway, and the only people you see trying are SUV drivers trying to crowd everybody out of their way.

THe vehicle itself has a dated look, but its got high quality build and the overall quality and refinement levels are high (for a 4x4 truck). The engine's vibrations are well isolated from the cabin, the ride is excellent for a vehicle of this sort, the shift quality is superb. The steering, throttle and suspension action all move with the finely metered accuracy that delivers dividends in rough conditions. On road handling is very good for this kind of vehicle.

The most massive downside to the Pajero, surprisingly, is not the engine, but the rear seat. which idiot thought of those outboard arm rests? they push the center portion of the seat inboard, which not only forces the rear seat passengers to sit too close to each other, but also causes the rear passengers legs to be offset from the front seat. In short, the rear passenger's legs don't fit in that slight hollow behind the front seat and his feet don't go neatly under the front seat. Even if the arm rest is not deployed, its a problem because you can't set on it comfortably. On the whole, this is a BIG disaster. I am surprised I've seen little to no reference. Maybe the reviewers haven't tried to fit 4 six footers in a pajero and shorter people are comfortable?

Anyway, I took my dad along for the test drive since he'd driven a fortuner recently on a drive to J&K. He drove the Pajero and his take was that the Fortuner is notably zippier, the pajero definitely has a dated look inside and out, but other than that its a finer feeling and driving vehicle than the fortuner. He also noted that while its sluggish on take off, its fine once on the move. He, like me, is over 6 feet tall and noted that the driver's seat doesn't go far back enough, making the legs feel a bit cramped and requires the seat back to the tilted to reduce the feeling of being crammed behind the wheel. i had noted this too.

I need to find out what can be done about that stupid back seat.

Last edited by Harbir : 13th December 2010 at 19:05.
Old 13th December 2010, 19:14   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I need to find out what can be done about that stupid back seat.
Nice comprehensive review. Just 2 more points to add.

The Pajero's FE is quite a bit lower compared to the T-Fort.
Not just the power but the torque too is substantially lesser than the T-Fort.

By the way, have you decided to buy it? New? Are you serious?
Old 13th December 2010, 20:02   #29
BHPian

not decided anything yet. haven't driven the fortuner yet. not driven the grand vitara yet
Old 13th December 2010, 20:41   #30
BHPian

A quick question to all off roaders here - Isn't the Scorpio an option here. From the looks of it, it is a pretty capable vehicle on and off the road. Add to that it's 1/2 the price of the Pajero and the T-Fort. In that case, isn't the Safari also an option? OR am I way off in considering these 2 SUV's?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks