Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 20:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Why would anyone buy a Pajero SFX?

@Harbir please for god sake leave that back seat alone trust me. One of my professors in college had that. She drove us down to hampi in it. We were driver + 2 girls (well built) + owner (well built) + 6'2"guy + me 5'8". Plus a weeks worth of stuff and believe me it is COMFORTABLE!! We even folded seats down and played cards on the way back. That in a '97 pajero intercooler semi-widebody like the current SFX. Interiors are the same.
Old 13th December 2010, 20:55   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@Harbir please for god sake leave that back seat alone trust me. One of my professors in college had that. She drove us down to hampi in it. We were driver + 2 girls (well built) + owner (well built) + 6'2"guy + me 5'8". Plus a weeks worth of stuff and believe me it is COMFORTABLE!! We even folded seats down and played cards on the way back. That in a '97 pajero intercooler semi-widebody like the current SFX. Interiors are the same.
@valhallen: I guess you have not sat in the middle row since HM put those stupid gigantic arm rests there. Harbir his giving his feeback after test driving the vehicle and you are asking him to forget it. Beats me...

You should go to the showroom and check out the current set up of the middle row. It is very different from imports. This is not an issue with foreign Pajeros, but only with the Indian version. If the model you dove was a 97 and wide body, it is definitely an import.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 13th December 2010 at 20:56.
Old 13th December 2010, 21:15   #33
BHPian

I wouldn't want a scorpio if you gave it to me free.

On the back seat of the Pajero, if I buy one, I wonder if I could fit a middle row seat out of an import. if I could get hold of one that is

Last edited by Harbir : 13th December 2010 at 21:19.
Old 13th December 2010, 21:37   #34
BHPian

Dont bother with any of these, instead look for a pre-owned nissan patrol or Land Cruiser. These are the only two true offroaders. Prados, pajeros, fortuners are all simply posers when it comes to the real deal.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Pajero is like the Landrover of the East.Its simply iconic in taste and style.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:22   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post

On the back seat of the Pajero, if I buy one, I wonder if I could fit a middle row seat out of an import. if I could get hold of one that is
When you the budget, you need not look at it either. That is ok.
Coming to your seats, these days there are reputed seat makers at all metros who can modify or fabricate your seats. That is not the concern here.

I would strongly recommend you TD the T-Fort and take a look at this video from youtube. It will have a profound effect on you.

And yes, I have a thumb rule. When in doubt, do what the market is doing.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Ummm, ok :-). If Pajeros and Fortuners are posers, then god save the other SUVs apart from the 2 biggies. What about maintenance of the Patrol and the Cruiser? Can you confidently take a preowned Patrol or Cruiser to some god forsaken place in the Himalayas unless you know the ownership history of the preowned vehicle inside out?

Everybody seems to be writing off the Fortuner...tell me, what is the delta value of offroading prowess that Pajero has over the Tuna? Given same/appropriate tyres, what do you think the Pajero can do that the Fortuner can't?

Check some of the countries where both these vehicles are available, and see what sells more for overlanding/offroading.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:47   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@valhallen: I guess you have not sat in the middle row since HM put those stupid gigantic arm rests there. Harbir his giving his feeback after test driving the vehicle and you are asking him to forget it. Beats me...

You should go to the showroom and check out the current set up of the middle row. It is very different from imports. This is not an issue with foreign Pajeros, but only with the Indian version. If the model you dove was a 97 and wide body, it is definitely an import.
Sir I have sat in both versions. And in the center seat too. In that vehicle unless you're really cramped for space I'd suggest you put people in the third row you can stretch out across it on long trips in fact. I made myself quite comfy more than once!

I would love to join on 4WD expeditions sadly my work and a bad back do not allow the same. I work in BLR CBD the HM showroom is down the road from me along with every other large brand. I have seen and sat in it extensively. That teacher now my friend used to do extensive work on tibetean culture for an NGO and she has travelled those regions in the same car. So its not my word its hers too. If he don't like it let him not get it. Its my opinion sorry if you or thread starter can't accept it.

Last edited by valhallen.282 : 13th December 2010 at 22:49.
Old 14th December 2010, 06:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
And yes, I have a thumb rule. When in doubt, do what the market is doing.
Not me. I do what I want. and usually its not what every body else is doing.

I don't claim to be wise. Just very contented with my choices.
Old 14th December 2010, 09:30   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post

I agree with Harbir. If you have a 20Lakh budget, the Pajero 2.8/Fortuner is definitely a much better option than the Scorpio/Safari.

@Harbir: you should be able to find a seat from an Import, but you will have to really hunt for one that is in good condition. But after shelling out over 20 Lakhs, you may not feel good about having to throw away a new seat and put an old one in. It maybe better to talk to a seat liner and see if the existing seat can be modifed to integrate the armrests into a full seat.

I also suggest you wait till the BSIV Pajero is launched. It will be difficult for them to make the current engine BSIV compatible without sacrificing power, Hence they may opt for a more modern engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko View Post
Dont bother with any of these, instead look for a pre-owned nissan patrol or Land Cruiser. These are the only two true offroaders. Prados, pajeros, fortuners are all simply posers when it comes to the real deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
I have seen and sat in it extensively. Its my opinion sorry if you or thread starter can't accept it.
Sure we understand that you are very comfortable in the Pajero's middle seat. And yes, you are free to express your opinion, but the point I was making is that he test drove the vehicle and clearly finds the middle row not to his liking and it doesn't make sense to ask a person who is going to shell out 20+ Lakhs on a vehicle to forget it.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 14th December 2010 at 09:31.
Old 14th December 2010, 09:54   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I agree with Harbir. If you have a 20Lakh budget, the Pajero 2.8/Fortuner is definitely a much better option than the Scorpio/Safari.

@Harbir: you should be able to find a seat from an Import, but you will have to really hunt for one that is in good condition. But after shelling out over 20 Lakhs, you may not feel good about having to throw away a new seat and put an old one in. It maybe better to talk to a seat liner and see if the existing seat can be modifed to integrate the armrests into a full seat.

I also suggest you wait till the BSIV Pajero is launched. It will be difficult for them to make the current engine BSIV compatible without sacrificing power, Hence they may opt for a more modern engine.
good call on waiting for the BSIV. It will be interesting to see what they do. I think they should do the decent thing and stick in the 3.2L from the Montero instead of bothering with introducing a whole new engine into the country, that is if the old 2.8 can't be easily made BSIV compatible.

I think I will wait and see what develops.

On the scorpio/safari, its not about the budget. If I didn't have a 20lac budget, I'd buy a Gypsy. I wouldn't buy Safari or a Scorpio under any circumstances.
Old 17th December 2010, 16:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Well if this link is any indication, then me thinks that T-Fort, Endy, Safari or Scorpio or for that matter the Trail need to do a lot to catch-up with the Pajero..

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...of_desert.html
Old 17th December 2010, 17:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Well if this link is any indication, then me thinks that T-Fort, Endy, Safari or Scorpio or for that matter the Trail need to do a lot to catch-up with the Pajero..

MITSUBISHI MOTORS / PAJERO - KING OF DESERT
If you notice there is nothing after 2001. That is when I think the others caught up! In spite of all its drawbacks, the Pajero (as manufactured in India) is still going strong. Every other offering either lacks some features or is priced way beyond. As others have noted in other threads all it needs is an engine upgrade so that it can keep up with other SUV on highway, off highway it is still the king.
Old 17th December 2010, 17:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

I checked up and Pajero won till 2007, though later they had the current Montero chassis.
Dakar Rally - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 20th December 2010, 19:17   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

MITSUBISHI MOTORS / PAJERO - KING OF DESERT
If you ask me, manufacturers care more about how many vehicles they sell and not the history of the Paris Dakar. Chrysler & Dodge had great cars once upon a time, but that didn't prevent them from going belly up. Companies need to adapt and move on with newer & better products. The race never ends.

Most Viewed