Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2011, 16:39   #46

Pajero BS-IV

Had a word with Mitsubishi Dealer, according to him pajero's BS-IV version will be lunched by 25/01/2011 without any changes to engine and pajero sports is delayed till 2012 march
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:10   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Why would anyone buy a Pajero SFX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Had a word with Mitsubishi Dealer, according to him pajero's BS-IV version will be lunched by 25/01/2011 without any changes to engine and pajero sports is delayed till 2012 march
It is not possible to upgrade from BSIII to BSIV without any changes to the engine. Maybe what he means is that there is no new engine. However, with IDI engines, it is hard to conform to BSIV without sacrificing some power. We will know only after the bhp/torque figures are released.
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:44   #48
BHPian

Re: Pajero BS-IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
what is the Pajero Sports?
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:44   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
It is not possible to upgrade from BSIII to BSIV without any changes to the engine. Maybe what he means is that there is no new engine. However, with IDI engines, it is hard to conform to BSIV without sacrificing some power. We will know only after the bhp/torque figures are released.
And any more cuts to the already insufficient power (by today's standards) will ensure that the Pajero will be made to RIP by its own makers.

It is simply pathetic that Mitsubishi India is so lacklustre in its most aspirational product.
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:53   #50
BHPian

Re: Pajero BS-IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
what is the Pajero Sports?
Pajero Sports is Shogun sold in UK (based on mini-Montero platform AFAIK).
Old 24th March 2011, 20:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

I have already been through most of the threads on this topic and completely understand the strengths and weaknesses of both these vehicles.

However without stirring up a hornet's nest, I would like your inputs on the following points between the Fortuner and the Pajero.

1. Overall long term maintenance cost.

2. Resale value after 7-10 years.

3. Cost of frequently used spare parts viz: Oil filters, Diesel Filters etc.

4. Cost of in-frequently used spare parts viz: Clutch / Pressure Plates, Suspension overhaul, fuel pump overhaul (Pajero) etc.

5. Given the 118 PS of power in the Pajero, is it (or does it) feel underpowered, will it have have any difficulty in transversing difficult terrain especially off-road application in the mountains. I know about the running out of breath on highway issue for the Pajero but I am more interested to know the off-roading capabilities.

6. Have read on the South African forums that Fortuner has serious stability issues and Totoya added a VSC system to keep it stable (Not in India model though), also saw a thread where there is a photograph of a Fortuner turned turtle near Manali. Is this really an issue.

I need to take a decision between the two and need your advise on these.

This debate looks like a never-ending story, but still these things would really help me take a decision.

Requesting all folks who own either of these to kindly give their inputs.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:37   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Hi Folks,

I have already been through most of the threads on this topic and completely understand the strengths and weaknesses of both these vehicles.

However without stirring up a hornet's nest, I would like your inputs on the following points between the Fortuner and the Pajero.

1. Overall long term maintenance cost.

2. Resale value after 7-10 years.

3. Cost of frequently used spare parts viz: Oil filters, Diesel Filters etc.

4. Cost of in-frequently used spare parts viz: Clutch / Pressure Plates, Suspension overhaul, fuel pump overhaul (Pajero) etc.

5. Given the 118 PS of power in the Pajero, is it (or does it) feel underpowered, will it have have any difficulty in transversing difficult terrain especially off-road application in the mountains. I know about the running out of breath on highway issue for the Pajero but I am more interested to know the off-roading capabilities.

6. Have read on the South African forums that Fortuner has serious stability issues and Totoya added a VSC system to keep it stable (Not in India model though), also saw a thread where there is a photograph of a Fortuner turned turtle near Manali. Is this really an issue.

I need to take a decision between the two and need your advise on these.

This debate looks like a never-ending story, but still these things would really help me take a decision.

Requesting all folks who own either of these to kindly give their inputs.
There are quite a few reviews on the net comparing Pajero and the Fortuner. The verdict is that off road and mountains Pajero is better on every count. The Fortuner scores mainly on highway performance and FE. Major down side of the Fortuner, in my opinion are

1. Visibility. There are quite a few blind spots compared to Pajero
2. 4x4 capability. On demand 4x4 works better than the AWD of Fortuner.
3. Better braking due to all round disk breaks

The only problem with Pajero is that it is
1. Low power, hence indifferent highway performance
2. BS-III, hence not available in major metros
3. Dated design, may not appeal to modern user.
4. Toyota vehicles have a very low cost of ownership and long life, hence usually fetch good resale value. That said, the Pajero holds its own and it is extremely difficult to find a low milage, well maintained Pajero at less than 12L

There are at least a couple of forum members who have restored Pajero and can help you in cost of maintenance.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 11:49   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
2. 4x4 capability. On demand 4x4 works better than the AWD of Fortuner.
Hi Aroy,

Could you please elaborate on this point? I have posted elsewhere on this forum about the design and differences between the Center diff of Fortuner & Pajero 2.8.

Pajero uses a clutch pack based center LSD/Diff which will wear out over time and it will not lock fully. Fortuner uses a Torsen (Gear based) center LSD/Diff which is much more sturdier.

Full time 4WD systems are always better from a Traction perspective than On Demand 4x4 systems. The advantage of on demand system is that it gives better mileage as front diff is engages only when rear wheels loose traction. However, in case of Fortuner vs Pajero the Fortuner gives much better mileage with a far superior engine so there is no comparison.

The only real advantage the Pajero 2.8 has over the Fortuner is that it handles better over off-road bad roads. There is a video comparision posted on this forum where the Pajero 2.8 suspension does a good job of soaking up the rough stuff.

In my opinion the Pajero 2.8 is a very dated platform and unless majority of you driving is in bad/rural roads or you are a died in wool Mitsubishi fan, it makes sense to get the Fortuner.

I cannot digest spending 20+ lakhs and not being able to keep up with a Sumo Grande or Bolero Storm not to mentions the clown paint scheme and poorly designed middle row seat which seats only two people.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2011, 10:36   #54
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Aroy and 4x4addict. Your inputs will definitely help me take a sound decision.
Old 26th March 2011, 11:19   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Thanks Aroy and 4x4addict. Your inputs will definitely help me take a sound decision.
Glad to be of help. Here is my take on the current 4x4 SUV options.

1. Tata Safari - Most comfortable, but with most niggles. If you can devote the first three months to "debugging" this vehicle, it will be the best you can get. Buy it for good ride and low purchase cost.

2. Mahindra Scorpio - Niggle free, but has more body roll than safari. Is not as luxurious inside. Rugged build and provision to take last row seats to create a huge luggage space. Buy it for rugged build and low cost.

3. Toyota Fortuner - Toyota reliability, but not as well appointed as the Safari. Reports of it rolling over, hence to be used with caution on uneven roads. The best performance on highways and the most frugal engine. Buy it for predominantly highway usage, with occasional bad/off roading.

4. Mitsubishi Pajero - the best off roader of the four, but the worst FE. Buy it if you are traveling on predominantly bad roads and hills, as then you will not need high speed of the other three, and retain the excellent ride and off road capabilities.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2011, 11:27   #56
Senior - BHPian

Pajero is a Pajero is a Pajero. You either like it or you do not. The T-Fort & the Pajero are 2 very different animals. If you are a hard core off-roader you would like the Pajero for sure, if you are a speed demon then it is the Fortuner for sure.

Pajero is "old school" and we all know that. It has a weird color scheme, we know that too. The paint is the least of anyone's concern, as it can always be mde to look more main-stream by painting it - right ? The Pajero has almost no electronics that can go wrong, the T-Fort does. The ride of the Pajero is great, I do not have much experience on the T-Fort but whatever little I do, I think the ride quality is fine.

That said if you were to compare them against each other price wise, a new Pajero makes little sense, as for the same money you can get a more "advanced" vehicle. One could get 2008-2010 model Pajeros between 16-19 & that makes sense IMHO, some with mileage under 10k

Happy buying

Cheers
Old 26th March 2011, 11:49   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd like to add another competitor to the equation of T-Fort and Pajero. Which is an X-Trail

Pajero is a thirsty SUV and realistic figures should be in 6kmpl-8kmpl range. Perhaps, it's 2.8 engine is the oldest school as well when compared to the new guns. But, its also the most competent in offroad terrain.

T-Fort is not really an offroader in complete perspective but, its huge presence ( It needs one and half lanes at all times) is quite intimidating and is the new style statement.

X-Trail has the most well appointed interiors and is almost car like in feel and is a very quick SUV. I think it can do a 0-100kmph in 10.50 secs and is competent than the T-Fort in terms of offroad capability.

If you want to keep the car for a long duration and if there are huge discounts on X-Trail, it makes sense to check that out as well.

Goodluck in your final decision.
Old 26th March 2011, 14:43   #58
BHPian

If i may be allowed to go a wee little bit of topic here :

How about comparing a pre-worshiped Pajero and a New Innova V both similarly priced, in the following usage scenario :

A very rarely used 3rd vehicle, may be taken out of the garage for 15-20 days a year for family trips mostly over tarmac with 6-7 occupants. Priorities being :
i) Ride quality and space
ii) Ooomph factor and driver's comfort
iii) Ease of maintenance( a doubt about the Pajero here)

Our family has decided to invest in a SUV/MUV that can carry 7-8 persons in relative comfort for both occasional short and long trips/vacations.

Although the Innova fits the bill perfectly, thing is, I'm overwhelmingly hooked to the Pajero since time immemorial, and as i cant afford an SUV on my own personal capacity, this is my only chance to get that dream vehicle of mine. Moreover, i would personally like to be seen driving a Pajero over an Innova.
That said, i'm very skeptical about:
(i) Finding a pre-worshipped one in immaculate condition
(ii) HM -Mitsu A.S.S. and most importantly
(iii) ride quality and creature comfort for passengers

Assurance about these aspects about the Pajero from fellow BHPians would help me convince the other family members.
Old 26th March 2011, 15:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ricky, Aroy and Mobike008,

I already own a Safari EX 4x4 and am looking forward to upgrade.

I took a test drive of both the Fortuner and the Pajero yesterday. I must say that personally I felt the Fortuner ride quality even on good paved road to be quite bone jarring. It continuously pitches and transfers even the slightest of jerks inside the car. Both me and and wife had the same feeling when we finished the test drive. Also the quite high shoulder height restricts outside view towards the sides to quite an extent. It has excellent power though and feels and drives like a big vehicle. Overall visibility is a slight problem. The gear shift was rough (probably due to being a brand new vehicle and had a good deal of vibration). Another thing I noticed was the odd placement of the ORVM and beam adjustment buttons, they are quite low on the right side and below the Air Con vents and one has to actually bend down to adjust any of these things.

Pajero on the other hand was a very nimble handler with excellent ride comfort. I tested the engine for it's power by reversing a fully loaded vehicle on a steep incline (offroad) and it made a mincemeat out of it. No problems at all, no need to rev the engine, no need to do any clutch slipping. There was no drama and no nonsense and it was as comfortable doing that incline in forward as it was in rear. BTW it also has a reverse camera with distance sensors integrated into the rear view mirror and I found it to be quite accurate and handy. The gear shift was butter smooth and the gear slot in with a purposeful and reassuring click. The only thing I did not like was the horn button that is right in the centre of the steering wheel. You need to pick up your hand from the wheel to blow the horn. In my Safari you can blow the horn just be pressing against the horn button from any side.

Both vehicles have very good insulation against noise and vibrations and even though the Fortuner is more spacious inside but the Pajero's interiors feel more upmarket. The quality of switches is definitely better and everything is quite much in reach.

Well please don't flame me, this is my personal opinion based on my short test drives.

Still trying to find out the long term maintenance cost for both though. Please let me know if you have any knowledge about the prices of spare parts etc like I mentioned in my first post on this topic.
Old 26th March 2011, 17:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

I think you pretty much figured out the good & bad in the vehicles being compared. Overall if you are looking at a brand new Fortuner vs a used Pajero, expect some little niggles here & there, unless ofcourse you can get your hands on a really well looked after Pajero (they are available, believe me)

You are right about the ride & handling of the Pajero, it is perfect for a vehicle it's size & weight. Yes it will drink more diesel than the fortuner. Mine returns in the region of 8 to 9.5kmpl (city driving). The car is built to last & no matter how old school the engine - IT DELIVERS LIKE NO OTHER. I routinely go over "obstacles" on my construction sites & have had to engage 4L only once till date. She sailed out like a sailboat in good wind !!

The build quality is second to none. The COST of maintaining one is not astronomical if your lube changes are done on time & your tyre pressure is monitored. All parts for the Pajero are easily available in the after-market so no worries there. Needless to say a good private garage should be able to maintain it within reasonable numbers with parts sourced from the after-market.

The gearbox is a joy to use, way better than the Fortuner. All around visibility is good

The X-Trail suggested above is TOTALLY different class of vehicle, and I doubt it is capable of handling off-roading as is the Pajero. But a hoot to drive none the less, with great mileage too.

Guess only you yourself can judge what you like or dislike in each of the contenders. They all have their -ve & +ve points.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed