Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 17:50   #1
BHPian

Why would anyone buy a Pajero SFX?

I am looking for an adventure vehicle to use at my farm and for travel to places to places where the roads range from poor to non-existent (all over the himalays and perhaps rajasthan). I have short listed the Pajero SFX and the Fortuner. The grand vitara is a possibility as well. I am not interested in soft-roaders. Thing is, I favor the Pajero despite its crappy paint scheme, and would not even consider the Fortuner but for one thing. The Pajero's lousy engine is way down on power, acceleration, and fuel efficiency. the gap is SO HUGE that I just can't choose the pajero over the fortuner. What are your thoughts? If you bought a new Pajero, why did you choose it over a fortuner? (apart from the long waits for the fortuner) is there any reason to buy a Pajero over a fortuner given its massive handicap in the engine bay?
Old 7th December 2010, 18:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

How about Captiva / Endy 4x4 ?
Old 7th December 2010, 19:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

This might help.

Old 7th December 2010, 19:13   #4
Team-BHP Support

Pajero is a dinosaur. I suggest you either look at Fortuner or Endy AT 4x4.

Toyota Fortuner 4WD Boot Camp

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...-off-road.html
Old 7th December 2010, 19:43   #5
BHPian

that overdrive clip was very helpful. the exact roads and locations they were travelling are all where I've gone with in Gypsys (and much much worse), and superior ability there with well articulating suspension action is very very attractive. I am not interested in the endeavour, to be honest. Adequate engine power on highways and around town and on mountain roads for overtaking, but truly superior chassis dynamics is what I am looking for

Last edited by Harbir : 7th December 2010 at 19:45.
Old 7th December 2010, 20:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

The comparative test was done in OE tyres. Fortuner using HT and Pajero using AT. But the fellow omitted the mention of a big difference. Pajero has rear LSD, Fortuner has open diff front and back. When you get stuck, the extra torque of Fortuner can be pretty useful.

Before somebody mentions the center LSD of Fortuner, that is useful only on tarmac, and not in offroad condition, where it is usually locked.
Old 8th December 2010, 13:58   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Why would anyone buy a Pajero SFX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
is there any reason to buy a Pajero over a fortuner given its massive handicap in the engine bay?
Much better ride quality and it's also easier to drive. Some people like that. For all things else, the Fortuner has it beaten. I'd suggest two options to you:

- Buy a Fortuner

OR

- Buy a Mahindra Thar (coming soon) and a fast sedan. Use the Thar on your farm, and the sedan on expressways . If initial impressions are anything to go by, the Thar will be much easier to live with (more power, better ride, space) than traditional Jeeps.
Old 8th December 2010, 20:04   #8
BHPian

watching that overdrive vid, it becomes very clear very quicly that the pajero has much superior wheel articulation than than Fortuner. But that I mean, its wheels pump very smoothly up and down over the terrain while keeping the body motions as finely damped as possible. The fortuner appears to have truck like dynamics on bad terrain with a lot of jouncing and pitching of the body with relatively limited movement of wheels relative to body. I.e when wheels go over terrain, much more of their movement is transfered to the body than in the Pajero, and that fundamentally talks to a more simple and basic approach to off road ability which usually entails weak axle articulation and stiff suspension to keep the vehicle moving over bad terrain. Its not just about the resulting ride quality but also the sophistication with which the vehicle tackles tens of thousands of KM of use on really bad terrain. But the weak engine really gives me pause. I don't need a new sedan since I have an Accord already. The Thar will have to blow my socks off because as of right now, the current tata and mahindra vehicles wouldn't get my money even if they were offered to me at 50% discount. The vehicle will be a truly exploring vehicle, i.e. it will spend 10-15000km a year driving in wilderness areas, i.e. places that don't see any visitors apart from a couple of army or civilian administration vehicles a month. The vehicle really has to be very good offroad. not just capable of wading through meltwater streams and grossing gulleys in deserts, but being comfortable, confidence inspiring etc. ease and capability off road have to be THE primary traits. this is why I keep gravitating to the Pajero.
Old 9th December 2010, 10:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
being comfortable, confidence inspiring etc. ease and capability off road have to be THE primary traits.
Go for the Pajero... no two thoughts!!
Old 9th December 2010, 13:12   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Thar will have to blow my socks off because as of right now, the current tata and mahindra vehicles wouldn't get my money even if they were offered to me at 50% discount. The vehicle will be a truly exploring vehicle, i.e. it will spend 10-15000km a year driving in wilderness areas, i.e. places that don't see any visitors apart from a couple of army or civilian administration vehicles a month. The vehicle really has to be very good offroad. not just capable of wading through meltwater streams and grossing gulleys in deserts, but being comfortable, confidence inspiring etc. ease and capability off road have to be THE primary traits. this is why I keep gravitating to the Pajero.
Don't know about your socks, but Thar can blow away both Pajero and Fortuner when it comes to offroad terrain. But Thar doesn't have AC or lockable cabin, which SUVs have.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Don't know about your socks, but Thar can blow away both Pajero and Fortuner when it comes to offroad terrain. But Thar doesn't have AC or lockable cabin, which SUVs have.
The Thar seems to be just the old MM540 chassis tarted up with cheesy cosmetics and fitted with a 105hp engine and some suspension revision. No doubt its short wheel base and great departure and approach angles make for nimble goat thats pretty unstoppable, but its still a primitive old dinosaur. I am not interested in bouncing around in a Korean War era vehicle. I would love to own a Thar for local running. I might even put up with one long trip once in a year. but the trips I am planning will stretch 10-14 days each multiple times a year and they are all very exhausting, and the Thar just won't work. Besides, I'd buy a new Gypsy instead of a tarted up Mahindra Commander.

Last edited by Harbir : 9th December 2010 at 14:14.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2010, 15:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Check this out.
Buy New Toyota Fortuner/Mitsubishi Pajero | Toyota Fortuner/Mitsubishi Pajero Prices | Reviews | Features | Photos | BS Motoring

In his final verdict the reviewer says,
"Though the Fortuner is the clear winner over here, there’s something about the Pajero that’s irresistible."

If I have to buy a SUV for the sole purpose of off-roading adventures, I will buy a Pajero and if I need a robust SUV to tackle bad roads and if I'm no hardcore off-roader, I would buy Fortuner without a second thought.
Old 9th December 2010, 16:08   #13
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The Pajero is definitely a mountain goat and the Fortuner is the best of all worlds. But how about considering a Nissan X-Trail? The SUV is about the right size, has a powerful, torquey and efficient diesel mill, well-equipped and is capable OTR too. It might not be a popular choice but then it suits your needs.
Old 9th December 2010, 16:41   #14
BHPian

I have driven Pajero quite a bt, and own a fortuner.

I admire pajero, but bought toyota

both are very capable vehicles, and with the right tires, both will do well in the kind of trips you are planning to do.

The acceleration part is lacking in the pajero compared to fortuner. But in the kind of places that you plan to go, I dont think that should be your comparison priority.

The fortuner is more of a all round vehicle for regular use

why dont you hire each vehicle for your couple of trips, and compare it for your purpose. That will give you a clear idea as everything else can be very academic comparison.

IMHO

the pajero is one of the last purpose built vehicle. I dont think it will let you down.

But if you dont mind waiting for delivery, spending for an OME suspension and a nice winch bar, It will have to be the fortuner.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:04   #15
Team-BHP Support

Harbir, can you please clarify what you mean by offroading? If you mean trail driving, any of the 4X4 SUVs in India are up to the task. If you mean JeepThrills/Team-BHP OTR kind of offroading, then you can eliminate almost all SUVs with the exception of Land Cruiser and Gurkha. I too own a 4x4 SUV, but I know the limitations.

If you like the Pajero, buy it. The underpowered engine is not going to stop you from going to places where any other SUV can go, except LC and Gurkha.

Quote:
The Thar seems to be just the old MM540 chassis tarted up with cheesy cosmetics and fitted with a 105hp engine and some suspension revision...... Besides, I'd buy a new Gypsy instead of a tarted up Mahindra Commander.
Actually No. Thar is a stripped down soft top Scorpio, that is Scorpio chassis with MM550 body shell. That means it is much more modern than Gypsy except for the body shell. Since it is also half ton heavier than Gypsy, it has much better ride comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The Pajero is definitely a mountain goat and the Fortuner is the best of all worlds. But how about considering a Nissan X-Trail? The SUV is about the right size, has a powerful, torquey and efficient diesel mill, well-equipped and is capable OTR too. It might not be a popular choice but then it suits your needs.
X-Trail doesn't even have a low ratio on the 4WD, how can you call it OTR capable?

Last edited by Samurai : 9th December 2010 at 17:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks