Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 20:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: The right SUV for 16 - 17 lakhs

I think your parameters are too less as all the cars (excluding not launched ones) you short listed meets your criteria very well. Eg. You mentioned about GC and rear seat. But it was not in your initial requirements.

My suggestions:-

1. Include some more parameters as per priority. (GC, Seating comfort, FE etc what ever you like).

2. Set a date of purchase. If you choose the World SUV it may well be an years wait and next this time you will find more announcements of new SUVs.

3. Test drive all the vehicles you have short listed.

4. Research in detail. There are some wonderful ownership threads. PM the BHPians for additional info. This issue has been discussed in detail many times involving comparison of almost all these SUVs.
Old 17th December 2010, 21:55   #17
BHPian

Re: The right SUV for 16 - 17 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I think your parameters are too less as all the cars (excluding not launched ones) you short listed meets your criteria very well. Eg. You mentioned about GC and rear seat. But it was not in your initial requirements.

My suggestions:-

1. Include some more parameters as per priority. (GC, Seating comfort, FE etc what ever you like).

2. Set a date of purchase. If you choose the World SUV it may well be an years wait and next this time you will find more announcements of new SUVs.

3. Test drive all the vehicles you have short listed.

4. Research in detail. There are some wonderful ownership threads. PM the BHPians for additional info. This issue has been discussed in detail many times involving comparison of almost all these SUVs.
Hi,

Thank You for your advice. I am going to include other requirements so that I can narrow down my search.

As I mentioned in the post, I will be buying it in the first half of 2011. So By June 2011, I will be buying the vehicle. I just started the job for owining the SUV so that I will get enough time to define all my reqirements and find suitable vehicle.

I am going through all the posts that posted from 8 months back regarding SUVs. So I hope I will get enough information and accordingly I can make a decision. by doing that I hope some of my primary requirements may become secondary as it may be irrelavent.
Old 18th December 2010, 01:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, the Yeti fits the bill.

5 seater, good proportions for a self driven vehicle from a maneuverability point of view, good performance and comfortable. Plus really neat interiors compared to other vehicles listed.

As long as you can secure a good A.S.S you'll be fine - and from what I've heard from Skoda owners in Bangalore, Skoda A.S.S is quite good.

Not sure if it'll fit within your budget though... given the tax structure in KA.

My second choice would be the tried and tested Scorpio.

If you are open to used vehicles, perhaps you can strike a good deal on a Captiva (it comes with 4x4 right? - not 100% sure)? Used Fortuner would be great, but doubt you'll find one - and even if you do it'll be over the budget.

Last edited by anekho : 18th December 2010 at 01:13.
Old 18th December 2010, 03:57   #19
Team-BHP Support

For your kind of usage a Aria makes a lot more sense than both Scorpio and Safari as its a new design. So if you do not mind its looks, get it, and get the full maintenance package. I mostly recommend Mahindra over Tata due to my experience, but this AMC thing from Tata has tipped the scales in their favor. Get the 3 year warranty with full consumable and breakdown coverage, and your running expenses will be kept in check in totality.
Stay away from Yeti for now, because I am not sure of their breakdown coverage in remote ares(like wildlife resorts etc,). Tata will send an Engineer anywhere in India(except jk/ne) if you do get a breakdown, and it will be done free of cost no matter that the issue.

So speaking of no road, believe me, we overestimate the terrain. I doubt you will be doing OTR kind of offroading.
If you do think you will require something little more extreme, buy the Safari but with the full AMC package.
As for price, you don't really need the top end Aria, the mid range would be fine.
That said, if you want looks and "space" Safari(or Scorpio are your options), but you will not get much from POV of handling and on road manners. These are 10 year old chasis ladder on frame vehicles, and will come nowhere near the driving manners of an Innova or an Aria.
Give the Aria a second look, and also the terrain you do a second look.
Probably you don't really need a hard core 4x4.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th December 2010 at 03:58.
Old 18th December 2010, 07:55   #20
BHPian

Shankar,
if the requirement is for 5 people then 8 seater is the best bet, the mid row seats are then reclinable as well as can be moved back. Remove the third row seat and there is loads of luggage space. have done this and can say from personal experience this is the better.
[quote=shankar.balan;2176413]hi

If you pick up the 7 seater version of the Scorpio you will find the second row seats can be moved backwards to increase leg room but you cannot recline the seat backs in the second row. The last 2 jump seats can either be kept folded or removed entirely to make acres of space available for luggage.

I would not recommend the 8 seat Scorpio because the third row is very uncomfortable, difficult to access, mostly useless and takes away all the available luggage space. Hence, for your particular requirement as outlined, which seems more or less similar to mine, the 7 seater is a better bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_prajeesh View Post
Hi Shankar, Speedmiester
Thanks for your suggesgtions. Here is my thought
Old 18th December 2010, 14:43   #21
BHPian

Exactly, I bought the 8-seater because of two reasons
#1. Last row can be easily taken out.
#2. Middle row can be moved back to the maximum and reclines as well.

Even when I dont take the last row out, a fully moved back middle seat
makes for a comfortable bed in the last row for my kid, without me having to worry about she falling in the gap between the middle and the last rows :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorpio View Post
Shankar,
if the requirement is for 5 people then 8 seater is the best bet, the mid row seats are then reclinable as well as can be moved back. Remove the third row seat and there is loads of luggage space. have done this and can say from personal experience this is the better.
Old 18th December 2010, 15:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi, the scorpio 4x4 with airbags & AT seems to be perfect for your use. Scorpios, though not perfect, are decently reliable too.

I think W201 will also be a good option but i feel the 4x4(AWD) version will cost around 17 lakhs on-road or more.
Old 20th December 2010, 14:30   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

well taken!
even i realized this on friday last. checked out the 8 seater and yes the mid-row is reclinable and move-able. and you can chuck away the last row completely and use the space more effectively for luggage etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorpio View Post
Shankar,
if the requirement is for 5 people then 8 seater is the best bet, the mid row seats are then reclinable as well as can be moved back.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 21st December 2010 at 21:38. Reason: Fixed the quote tags.
Old 20th December 2010, 19:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For your kind of usage a Aria makes a lot more sense than both Scorpio and Safari as its a new design.
===============
Give the Aria a second look, and also the terrain you do a second look.
Probably you don't really need a hard core 4x4.
Please allow this digression which I am aware is not very germane to the thread at hand.

TSK

I have been reading your contributions to the forum and am aware you are an avid driver into terrains most folks wont think of venturing in. Based on your expertise allow me to ask you a question WRT to your comment about 4X4.

How often in your estimation do you think an average person going out with a family will need to use 4X4 even if he is venturing into non-tarmac rural kind of territory? I am not talking of anything that is even remotely close to the hard core offroading that you and some other members of the board get into, plain simple rustic paths on a worst case basis. Please feel free to correct me if my message suggests that I am not clued into the drive-ability conditions in non urban terrain, as that is a fact.
Old 21st December 2010, 20:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

You may look at a pre-owned outlander. Though they are hard to come by, they depreciate real fast. I recently saw a new fighter jet april 2010 example with 6k on the clock go for 14.5 lac here in delhi. I know prices are high in banglore, but you can definitely get a pre-facelift model (2008-09) for around 13-14 even in banglore in 2011.

You may also check captiva and crv, though CRV has the best re-sale among the three cars, it still loses a lot of money in the initial 2-3 years. I agree that these cars are petrol and the parts too will be more expensive than the cars you are considering, but first you will save 3-4 lac rupees initially and then the Honda and the Mitsubishi atleast are much more reliable than the Tata, Mahindra or the Skoda. So, you can guarantee longer trouble free ownership.
Old 21st December 2010, 22:11   #26
BHPian

[quote=SanScorpio;2178718]Shankar,
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
hi

If you pick up the 7 seater version of the Scorpio you will find the second row seats can be moved backwards to increase leg room but you cannot recline the seat backs in the second row. The last 2 jump seats can either be kept folded or removed entirely to make acres of space available for luggage.

I would not recommend the 8 seat Scorpio because the third row is very uncomfortable, difficult to access, mostly useless and takes away all the available luggage space. Hence, for your particular requirement as outlined, which seems more or less similar to mine, the 7 seater is a better bet.
I think if I have to go for scorpio, I should go for 8 seater. Most of the time, Number of people joining me is 4. I can easily remove the third row and I can use the second row for more comfort. In 8 seater, I can recline the second row seat for short time nap.
Old 21st December 2010, 22:51   #27
BHPian

I am adding more specific requirements to my already mentioned requirements so that I can narrow down my choices
These are my initial Requirements
It will be a Self driven SUV.
I Will be using this only for long drive as well as for Vacation Travel which include Wild life , Ghats and Rural area.
I have a small car for my day today travel.
It should handle both tarmac as well as non existant road.
Looking for Performance, Comfort and Ride Quality
I am looking for a 4X4 version and Diesel option
For a family of 5 People
Max: Budgent is of 16 to 17 Lakh on road.

The following is my priority in the order.
1. Driver friendly. Since most of the time I only drive the vehicle.
2. Average Off road capability. I involved in Wild Life activity. It should handle both tarmac as well as non existant road. I won't do any extream off road. I am looking in terms of Practicality
3. Seating Comfort and flexible seating configuration. There are some occations where myself and my collegues sleep in Car for a shot power nap
4. Long Distance Travel. I will be using this car only for long Trips
5. Want the vehicle by 2011 June-July

I had taken a test drive of Scorpio VLX AT and Safari VX
I liked Scorpio except regarding the Space and GC. I think Sx4 has more GC than Scorpio.Please correct me If I am wrong. Regarding the Space in scorpio, may be I can look for 8 seater and remove the third row as mentioned in above posts

Safari I liked the GC and Space. But it has a lot of body roll and breaking was poor compared to Scorpio. Also the seats are not reclinable or adjustable. Also comapred to scorpio, turning radius is more and hence , it may be a concern driving through narrow road and come back
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will be a Self driven SUV.
It should handle both tarmac as well as non existant road.
Looking for Performance, Comfort and Ride Quality
I am looking for a 4X4 version and Diesel option
For a family of 5 People
Max: Budgent is of 16 to 17 Lakh on road.

2. Average Off road capability. I involved in Wild Life activity. It should handle both tarmac as well as non existant road. I won't do any extream off road. I am looking in terms of Practicality
the above priorities is why i feel you should opt for a scorpio. A scorpio 4x4 with airbags & with AT or MT should be apt.

Quote:
I liked Scorpio except regarding the Space and GC. I think Sx4 has more GC than Scorpio.Please correct me If I am wrong.
You are actually wrong. GC is measured from the lowest point in vehicles. Now, the lowest point in a scorpio is it's rear differential. The diff will never ground as it's in line with the wheels & moves up & down along with the rear wheels.

SX4 does not have a rear diff. So the actual GC of scorpio is more than 180mm. Rest assured, the scorpio wont ground easily unless you try some extreme off roading without removing the side steps.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Seating Comfort and flexible seating configuration. There are some occations where myself and my collegues sleep in Car for a shot power nap
4. Long Distance Travel. I will be using this car only for long Trips
5. Want the vehicle by 2011 June-July
I think in your case the Scorpio 4x4 with captain seats if the best option, especially with rear seat removed, you get enough space to sleep!

As noted in previous post the GC is not going to make much difference. The Scorpio accelerates marginally faster on highways, and has less niggles compared to Safari.

Going by the collective experience of this forum, the Safari makes sense only if you are willing to spend at least a month in visiting the dealer workshop to get rid of all niggles. One plus point of Safari in my opinion is that the spare tyre is on the door and not under the boot, but then it has a longer overhang both front and rear.
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

I am thoroughly impressed with the aria. very easy to drive and live with. Give it a serious look.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks